HELP!!!

maryam2k7

maryam
SALAAMZ...

recently one of my best freinds stopped watchin t.v. n i wnt 2 do the sme as it does nt benefit me at all!!

howeva i am findin it very hard.

does anybody have sum advice so i sop watchin t.v.

jazakalla khair

zarah

Islam
Staff member
SALAAMZ...

recently one of my best freinds stopped watchin t.v. n i wnt 2 do the sme as it does nt benefit me at all!!

jazakalla khair

:salam2:

take the plug off disconnect all the wires,and throw the remote in a sink full of hot water.:SMILY149:

now thats a start lol

:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I took the tv out of my son's room. I gave it away. I called the cable company and have just enough channels so I can keep the internet on. I have restriced time on the internet.
I saw a great video by Kahid Yasin who stated that he could tell how a person lives by walking into the living room. If a tv is in the living room..there is less time for Islam.
I irriate my poor sons when they are watching usless tv. I restrict tv to one show of their choice on school nights.
I insist we eat in the dinning room. That is one major step. You talk to eachother while you eat.
Please do not toss the tv into the sink...a wet tv makes a horrible mess to clean up.

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
I dont think the tv is the problem, its the choices that we make when we grab that remote. The television can be a useful tool if used in the right way. First of all cable can be very useful for news, nature shows, documentaries, among other educational programming. If you are using it to watch something that will not benefit you, it is the choice that YOU and only YOU make. I know someone who is paying over $100 a month on cable, with all the movie channels, :astag: what a waste of money, which can be used for other useful things, subhanallah. I limit tv watching for my children, if they do watch it, it is only for an hour, and it has to be educational such as channel 13(an educational channel here). They do not watch tv while eating, instead we talk, and tell each other about our day. Read. that will keep your mind occupied. Take a hobby. Go for a walk and enjoy nature on a beautiful day.

There is the internet which can be very useful, if used properly as to gain knowledge. You can watch lectures, instead of that tv show that you have to watch and cant miss. Cut down slowly, and you will succeed. I used to watch a lot of tv, but stopped, because it wasnt benefitting me at all. I just watch the news, an occassional movie with my kids, and watch lectures. You are in control of what you choose to watch, its not the tv that is the problem,its the choices we make. Allah knows best. May Allah help you.:hijabi:

Aliyah206

sallam aliykum
keep your self busy and that will distract u from tv..go to masjid..join one of those sister sec hadith clases...limit ur free time and fil it in with things..trust me it worked for me, now i have no desire to even look at a tv..

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
assalamu aleikum
I just have my TV for decorarion I guess :) never watch it:)
I spend more time with computer
But I think TV can be usefull for educational and history chanells and news too
waaleikum salam

halah

I dont think the tv is the problem, its the choices that we make when we grab that remote. The television can be a useful tool if used in the right way. First of all cable can be very useful for news, nature shows, documentaries, among other educational programming. If you are using it to watch something that will not benefit you, it is the choice that YOU and only YOU make. I know someone who is paying over $100 a month on cable, with all the movie channels, :astag: what a waste of money, which can be used for other useful things, subhanallah. I limit tv watching for my children, if they do watch it, it is only for an hour, and it has to be educational such as channel 13(an educational channel here). They do not watch tv while eating, instead we talk, and tell each other about our day. Read. that will keep your mind occupied. Take a hobby. Go for a walk and enjoy nature on a beautiful day.

There is the internet which can be very useful, if used properly as to gain knowledge. You can watch lectures, instead of that tv show that you have to watch and cant miss. Cut down slowly, and you will succeed. I used to watch a lot of tv, but stopped, because it wasnt benefitting me at all. I just watch the news, an occassional movie with my kids, and watch lectures. You are in control of what you choose to watch, its not the tv that is the problem,its the choices we make. Allah knows best. May Allah help you.:hijabi:

I do agree with you sister but another important thing.,when anyone tries to increase his or her level of faith(emaan) definitely he or she will give up watching on these uselss shows.

Asy-Shifa

Trying To Help

Salam sister,

Change is resistant, I know. and syaitan has his way, even the most suttle things like getting u glued in front of the tv is his work. Even though you still feel guilty if you still can't suppress your addiction. do remeber that Alhamdulillah, there's that iman of you who opening your heart to give up the unnecessary habit of yours. Start with that.

Don't do it drastically, you mite end up the opposite direction you wish to go in the 1st place.

1. Gradually reduce the number of hours you watch tv. Discipline youself to do it.
2. Subsitute the unworthy movies for more educational yet fun programmes.
3. Busy yourself with reading books, or helping your parents or siblings. You'll be surprised how much home errands your mum has to do herself (talking from experience)

4. Change is slow, I dont remember which ayat it is, but theres this beautiful ayat which says,(the rough meanings) : if someone wants to do good, Allah will make the path easy. If someone wants to do bad, He will make it easy too. As long as you're sincere, He'll be there to help you. So dont stop supplicating.

Like someone posted, not all programmes are bad, documentaryies are good for general knowledge. Its the bad influences that we shoudnt watch.

Salam

Amirah20

SALAAMZ...

jazakalla khair

easy...get rid of it. if you don't have tv in your house then there is nothing to watch. this lecture might help inshaAllah...its called turn off the tv! by Imam siraj wahaj.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGR2JI1FeXc

inshaAllah may Allah (swt) make it easy for you.

Combat79

assalamu aleikum
I just have my TV for decorarion I guess :) never watch it:)
I spend more time with computer
But I think TV can be usefull for educational and history chanells and news too
waaleikum salam

salam....

yeahh...indeed sis...tv this is not a problem..just depends what r u watching!!..:SMILY149:..like..i just buy a new tv :SMILY149: ..LCD 32"..great pixel!!..:SMILY149:

wsalam....

abu turaab

:salam2: sister T.V. itself is not bad you can use it to watch islamic channels,science channels,current world affairs etc as well as other ......... rubbish sort of programmes.If you've enough "taqwa" of ALLAH you'll never access the later type.However one must not put oneself into "fitna"...i mean keep in mind that you're just a "click away" from whatever you want to see on T.V.Actualy the prob. creats when we get obssessed wd one thing and think that we cant live wd-out watching t.v.i would say its an addiction just like a smoker can't resist the temptation and by the way smokers do have many reasons of their own in favor of their habbit like."smoking helps in constipation" lol.anyways one of the habits of prophet's great "ikhlaq" was that he always avoided access of anything..may ALLAH help us all to the straight path of abrar..Aameen.