How to handle comments about Islam..

Shannonx

:salam2:
It's just so frustrating. My computer graphics teacher is in the military, and he was in Kosovo a year and a half ago with the 'peace keepers.' And he always says he has friends in the military that are in Iraq right now. He'll always show us videos of the U.S. army bombing targets, basically showing us people getting shot. Which is worse because people in the class will be like "that's awesome!" or just laugh. I think my friend Jennifer and I were the only ones disgusted by it. It's like...I don't go to school to see buildings being blown up, or people being shot, I go so I can pass all my classes and graduate. He'll say things about how backwards Muslims are. How kids in Iraq are being forced to be suicide bombers, etc. Not only just about Iraq, but he'll say here in the U.S. women are getting freedom to wear what they want, and how Muslim women are forced to wear the hijab. Since i'm a pretty quiet person and it's not like me to just tell him what he's saying is wrong, i won't say anything.

Nobody knows i'm a Muslim except a couple of friends. So, i'm just wondering how you all handle comments like this. Should I have said something? I know we'll all face comments and it's best to just prove them wrong, but i'm worried if I do end up saying something it'll be yelling, lol since I have a real bad temper and who knows what i'd end up saying. That's not even all what he says, he says more but I don't feel like writing it.

So it'd be nice to hear what you guys do when you hear people saying wrong things about Islam and how I should react to it.

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

I completely understand your frustrations. From the sounds of it your teacher would be impossible to convince anything good Islam. I usually tend to stay away from those type of people. There is only so much you can say and it is their choice to accept or reject. Like for instance if he knew that you were Muslim and you said the sky was blue he would probably definitely say no it is green lol.

I do know so many Muslims who do not give up in their stride to spread the positive message of Islam and may Allah (swt) reward them for their patience with people like your teacher. In your heart you know what is true and stick to it :)

My advice may not be scholarly but just know we are here to support you and don't let someone put you or your religion down. Where is that going to lead you?

:wasalam:

Shannonx

I should of said that. I'm just not one to just say it with no problem, like I said i'm pretty quiet but if it gets to the point where he continues showing those videos or making comments like that I most likely will. I had him last year for a class and he showed a few videos also.

It's like I have to deal with this at home all the time with my dad, I don't want to goto school and basically listen to someone who is an exact copy of my dad. I say that because my dad has the same views as my teacher. Except my dad thinks "Muslims are going to hold some cities in America hostage and force everyone to convert to Islam or cities in the U.S. will be nuked.' Lol that was kind of off topic but I had to share what I thought was the funniest/saddest thing ever.

tabaria

So he's insulting a faith? Demonstrating graphic nature? and is displaying a clear prejudice?

I would just talk to the principal or the school board.

sajjuaiah

It's just so frustrating. My computer graphics teacher is in the military, and he was in Kosovo a year and a half ago with the 'peace keepers.' And he always says he has friends in the military that are in Iraq right now. He'll always show us videos of the U.S. army bombing targets, basically showing us people getting shot. Which is worse because people in the class will be like "that's awesome!" or just laugh. I think my friend Jennifer and I were the only ones disgusted by it. It's like...I don't go to school to see buildings being blown up, or people being shot, I go so I can pass all my classes and graduate. He'll say things about how backwards Muslims are. How kids in Iraq are being forced to be suicide bombers, etc. Not only just about Iraq, but he'll say here in the U.S. women are getting freedom to wear what they want, and how Muslim women are forced to wear the hijab. Since i'm a pretty quiet person and it's not like me to just tell him what he's saying is wrong, i won't say anything.

Nobody knows i'm a Muslim except a couple of friends. So, i'm just wondering how you all handle comments like this. Should I have said something? I know we'll all face comments and it's best to just prove them wrong, but i'm worried if I do end up saying something it'll be yelling, lol since I have a real bad temper and who knows what i'd end up saying. That's not even all what he says, he says more but I don't feel like writing it.

So it'd be nice to hear what you guys do when you hear people saying wrong things about Islam and how I should react to it.

Thank you for your concern, Islam is like a spring the more they press
the more it jumps.

We are fully aware of it.

'And (the unbelievers) plotted and planned, and Allah too planned, and the best of planners is Allah.' (Quran 3:54)

The best way is to practice our faith in a way of our beloved prophet.
This will open the door for many.

Thanks

apocalypse77

you can tell them..alot of times, culture is mix under the pretext of religion first if u dont wana reveal ur identity as a muslim

Asalaamalikum,

It looks like your teacher is accepting everything blindly without ever reflecting and doing his own research. When I come across these kinds of people, I laugh deep inside myself....like what a fool...such a hypocrite......then walk away.

What does your professor REALLY know about Islam, without the media and other 3rd party information - try that.

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Salaam,
Well usually people like that have no interest in learning the truth and just stick to their preconceptions and misconceptions, and no matter in what language you try to tell them to stop their accusations, they never stop...
I feel sad for these people because they do not have any knowledge abt Islam, but allow themselves to critizise... but i do not take their comments to heart...

So, i rarely waste my time and energy with these people...

So i would recommand you to ignore him, but if he is really getting on your nerves, just make a remark like brother ayman or sis dianne posted :)

Take care

blue

Salam Shannon,
Do you think its possible to talk to him after class? I had to sit through a really anti-islamic presentation once, and till this day, I regret not having said anything to the ignoramous. If it continues to get out of hand, I would suggest you file a complaint against him (there must be some kind of punishment for 'teachers' who attack a group based on religion). Remember that by acting now, it will be of benefit to muslims who may have the misfortune of having him as a teacher in the future as well. Fee iman ilah. :hearts:

amira87

I love Allah
Salam alikum

Sister first of all....they probably dont know you are muslim becaue you dont wear hijab. Second of all.....if you are a strong sister in islam, you'd defend islam, not just by telling them off.....but by wearing your hijab and being proud of your Islam. Trying to impress the disbeliving people will not get any muslim anywhere in the here after. Allah is judging you not them........so dont let them judge you. Be a strong muslim, not a weak one. Inshallah allah will guide you sister. Inshallah our ummah will egt stronger, and more and more people will come to Islam. :tti_sister:

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Salam Shannon!
Sister regarding what amira87 said, you are a new Muslim and it's not easy converting to another religion, we gain strength in Islam, it doesn't come over night. Hijab is not what makes you a Muslim, it is belief in one god and all the prophets. I don't believe from what you wrote that you are trying to impress anyone by not wearing hijab right now, inshAllah you will in time.
Stay strong!

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
So he's insulting a faith? Demonstrating graphic nature? and is displaying a clear prejudice?

I would just talk to the principal or the school board.

that's the best solution. they may not fire him because he probably has tenure there. but he'll straighten himself up. he may not change his views personally but at least he'll know that he can't spew out such hatred.

tabaria

Imagine if a jew in your class heard your teacher deny the holocaust. He would loose his job for sure. Tell your principal or the school board. It's that easy.

Just tell them your teacher says many things that brings politics and religion into the classroom and it offends you. He'll get in trouble with the first two.

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

Imagine if a jew in your class heard your teacher deny the holocaust. He would loose his job for sure. Tell your principal or the school board. It's that easy.

Just tell them your teacher says many things that brings politics and religion into the classroom and it offends you. He'll get in trouble with the first two.

Very good point indeed!

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

Very good point indeed!

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

Is your school private or public? I realized in private schools they could get away with anything. When I transferred to a public school discrimination was not tolerated. If there was a complaint, many students would drop anonymous letters with their statement of grief. Usually the principle would come into the certain class and discuss the complaints but never with names.
It helped out a lot in my school.

kayleigh

Normally I don't say anything, but seeing as he's a teacher & in a position of authority, kids in the class are going to go on thinking it's true because he's a teacher & was in the military. Not like the kids have much of a chance anyway, but you should say something. You don't have to be mean or rude about it - just raise your hand & correct him. No one has to know you're Muslim, either. I was correcting my history teacher & answering all the stuff he'd ask about Islam during class, and no one really knew I was Muslim till months later.

Shannonx

I wouldn't just yell at him. But I know what kind of person he is, I had him last year and if I tried to defend Islam, he might say something back offensive and that might make me angry. I wouldn't just raise my hand and start yelling, i'm really not that kind of person I respect people I don't just attack them, but if they say something back that's offensive I may get a little mad. That's just what I meant.

I go to a public school. If he keeps saying those things or showing videos i'll most likely talk to him after class. I wouldn't go directly to the principal, because who knows maybe he'll apoligize and won't do it, I don't want to get him in trouble if he's willing to stop and apoligize.