X-Catholic Seminarian to 'Born-Again Christian' - ISLAM REVERT

true believer

SalaamunAlaikum Warahmatullahi wa barakatuh everyone!

Allahu-akbar! Allahu-akbar! Allahu-akbar!

Alhamdullillah! I am so happy and thankful to Allah (SWT) for guiding me and helping me find the company of the righteous here in cyberspace.

Since this is an Introduce yourself thread - I will take the priviledge of telling you my story in the briefest form I can make.

My journey in discovering Islam is one very long, lonely road. I really never had any chance to come across any Islamic material or literature whatsoever before… and I would say that my entrance to Islam was a truly divine journey.

Eversince I was a child… I read in the Bible that we shouldn’t be calling anyone father… since there is only One Father… but how come I need to call the Jesuit Rector in my school as Father So and so?.... I grew up with this hanging question in the back of my head (no matter how much I ponder and reflect and analyze – I still cannot get any sense on it even after I went out of the seminary).

I have joined many sects of Christianity in their Sunday services before I entered the seminary in 1986. My entry into the seminary was actually accidental and serendipituous… I was frustrated with so many things that time – that I was originally looking for a Monastery and have decided to be a monk… even Shaolin Monk or Budhhist – whatsoever – as long as I can live in seclusion and be away from the cares of this world. The supposedly Monastery that I found turned out to be a secular order seminary…(an experimental seminary in fact – founded by Pope Leo XXIII) Nevertheless, I though I can find the answers in this formation house.

I didn’t, however – I learned many things though… in fact, I learned a lot…. Since it was a formation house… I have to live there with other problematic seminarians… In no time, I have learned the joys of drinking, smoking and everything that is associated with alchohol and nicotine and also Girls. (quite – unlikely for a seminary life… but since it was experimental – they decided to make us form ourselves outside the seminary most of the times.) But of course, In fairness with the seminary, I learned Philosophy and Theology and has read many books in the library as well, I also have been blessed to be able to experience having been in the company of pious, humble and religious men.

Since I befriended the Bishop and some Major Seminarians… I have advanced my Regency…and it happened just after EDSA Revolution in 1988 or 89. But it’s actually just my excuse to get out of the seminary and help my parents with the family business.

I became focused in the Family Business – it was a Security Service Industry and I had to spend many times drinking with contacts and client… eventually, this lifestyle made me a most wanted bachelor in the bars… definitely a certified man of the world… Been there… done that…. You name it… I’ve been it and I've seen it.

Not long after, after having so much fun being single, free and powerful in my own little world and having at least 5 girlfriends who consented with each other… I have seen the outside world, been to Europe, learned more… and finally got tired and was eventually trapped with only one woman (also problematic herself), I got her pregnant and since I come from a somewhat conservative Catholic Family, I married her with my Grandmothers blessing.…I have a beautiful daughter from her and it did changed my life slowly afterwards.… I became domesticated by a Christian wife; it was hard for both of us since she also had her share of problems and issues. It was also hard for me to quit my lifestyle of beer and whiskey drinkin – girl chasin – cassanova type personality… I underwent into a long marriage crisis though.

In the course of my career as the prime head of our family business… had some argument with my Father and Mother and eventually I simply got tired of the business since I was overworked and under paid, So I simply stopped working for the company as an act of rebellion… my siblings think they are superior than I am – I blame my parents for spoiling them… they spent almost all of the business profit in their lavish lifestyles. I on the other hand, simply spent my money in Motorsports… Slalom Racing, in not less than 5 years afterwards – I had a great career in racing… but the family Lost the main family house from the Bank… We Lost 2 family Businesses… Family broke apart…. Almost lost my own family as well…

In an attempt to regain stability… my friend endorsed me to work in an American Productivity Firm as a Private Management Engineering Consultant. Learned a few from them, had a great working experience also. But not for long, One of my colleagues was discriminated and I sided with him and decided to stop working…. Again, I went back to my cars and Racing…. A little sideline business here and there… and also with beers and girls on the side from time to time with my night-friends who are really very religious in their chosen Patron – San Miguel.

After Ten Years of instability, I almost died for from a raptured appendix last January 2006… it was my 7th escape from death after so many daredevil stunts I played in my younger days doing extreme sports.

I was beginning a really good business when that incident happened… and my wife was not really helping either… since she was focused into going abroad for work… but of course I know about her old boyfriend who happens to be the one fixing her arrangements there. Evebtually I Became down and out… Hitting rock bottom. I was blessed to have survived the operation and thankful that the Doctor is our family friend. I had no more sources that time and having been hospitalized was a worse case scenario. Eventually my wife went abroad… it was after my 3rd month after the operation when I was back drinking… one beer wont hurt, and then another… and some more… OK, add some girls to accompany it later. I was not looking for it – it just came looking for me. Since I had more time to spare, my old friend somehow needed it, and there is no fun if I don't get drunk with them. So, my frustration for my wife and my frustration for life and my career were catalysts in my going back into my old ways. Eventually, I got curious with my wifes locked drawer, and pried open it. I discovered all her mails… and I didn't like what I saw. So I bombarded her and her boyfriend there abroad with fierce words… I am capable of it and it was effective. They all thought I had some connections there and it did quite made a stir. That was some kind of bliss – having revenge.

Now, my old ways has gained control over me and it was more enjoyable doing it. Those were the darkest days of my life. I normally spent my night outside the house elsewhere… and when I come home with little money… (mind you – I never spent a cent in my beer drinking career – it was always for free as if Satan wanted me to really enjoy it without the guilt!) I see my daughter having her beautiful face with some unspoken feelings of concern for me… I cry inside…. I blame myself for being a failure…. I blame myself for not keeping my feet firm on the ground…. I blame myself for allowing things to happen just like that.

Seeing the sunrise is somewhat bringing me a little hope specially after a night of hard drinking and womanizing – even with exhausted energies… I still am not able to sleep very well and I can never have a good sleep without the peace and contentment that my family brings. … I miss my family, I miss my wife… I did love her.

I have been at many times experiencing the downs of life… but this time; was the lowest and the darkest. After getting back home, I locked myself in a room and faced the floor with my hands stretched like I have been crucified… crying so hard and trying to muffle my mouth so that my daughter and Mother in law would'nt be able to hear from outside and I was eventually surrendering to a higher power.

I knew that there are only two things that can happen to me after this.

It was –

1. asking for the devil to help me and sell my soul to him… or
2. Surrender and Go back to God.

I cried so hard until I couldn’t cry anymore… talking to God directly… somewhat having a conversation with Him. I have seen my life flashing back in front of me starting from the day I was born to the turmoil to the present… all the bitterness, hardships and pain… all rushed in as if it was a wild stream. And suddenly… it was peace and calm. I felt like a veil was suddenly lifted up and it’s as if I can see the sun rising for the very first time in my life. I felt like it was actually the first day of my life… I have started to accept realities in life… I started to accept that my wife was perhaps never going to come back to me anymore. I simply became a very good and active Christian – overnight – literally speaking. I believe it was always inside of me – just waiting to come out in the right moment. I have held an old Bible with me all the time, reading it whenever opportunity comes… I have read the Bible so many times and this time I am reading it like a fan at the edge of his seat – not willing to miss anything.

After that incident… I started attending my brother in laws Ecumenical Prayer Group and also my Mother in Laws Protestant Church… I became active in both and they all wanted me to become a pastor since they were all touched by my testimony.

My brother in law who knew me for so long couldn’t believe that I really have changed. He recall that I was always critical about protestants before and my face was darker before… perhaps due to my Catholic family background. But I was ecumenical already even before I entered the priesthood seminary. I just became my real self once again after I was introduced to the dirty world.

But, this was just a short introduction to where I was truly led for. I was without a job for about a year already and the small business I am setting up was cut short due to my raptured appendix last January 2006. Since I surrendered to God, I began to accept whatever He will provide for me… no matter what. I was prepared to accept even a small job like selling Fishballs in the market – and I will not be ashamed – even if this will be embarrassing for somebody whom a lot of people in my area would consider as among the upper class of society. I really don’t care about family pride anymore, I was already a new man. As most Christians would say… I was indeed a true born again.

Then after a few weeks… although my family is still at the risk of breaking up… I asked and prayed with the Christian Groups I was involved in and I was only encountering miracle after miracles. The first Miracle was, my wife had trouble abroad which eventually will make her coming home soon… and not only soon… but for good. Then, after a week, She was back home, with her health physically and mentally restore! I am active more than ever with my Christian Group… in fact – more active than my wife. Eventually, my family is beginning to be restore little by little, miracle after miracle. But this is not yet the gist of the story.

I was still unemployed and without a real business in my hand when one Saturday afternoon – I received a call from Saudi… I never wanted to go in this place, I never applied for any job whatsoever specially not here anyway. It was a job offer… and it was an offer I cannot refuse. The job was something I always dreamed of doing for so long since childhood. I formed a team eventually and I went to Saudi after a few months under this Saudi Mans' sponsorship.

After about a week in Riyadh, I was brought by my sponsor on top of this beautiful building I believe it was King Faisal Bulding… it has a Crystal Ball on the top part and it is the most expensive restaurant in Saudi… we had dinner there and I noticed he asked for a prayer carpet. And he prayed in the corner. I prayed also in the table thanking God for all the miracles he has done to my life including bringing me in the country which I consider the Holy Lands. After praying, he went back to the table… he asked me about my story… I shared to him my usual Testimony… he listened attentively and was even carried away by it. In the back of my mind – I was actually thinking I might be able to convert this man to embrace Christianity… (little did I know about what was about to happen.)

After hearing my Testimony (this testimony that I always shared with fellow Christians always never cease to make them cry)… I was shocked when my sponsor told me that: "My Friend, You are a MUSLIM!" – I felt like the Earth Moved under my feet- and I was sitting in the highest point in Riyadh! It took me a little while before I was able to get my sense of the presence back… then I asked him, how can that be? Then, he explained to me the meaning of Islam and the technical definition of a Muslim. I still could not believe what was happening. Why do I get a feeling that God brought me out of the Philippines in a very extraordinary manner and brought me in the heart of the Muslim world for what reason? The project although it was big sounding, became like a sort of an alibi. There were so many things playing in my mind…. I still cannot figure out Why God would bring me here? I really thought I could be converting Muslims to Christianity because of my Testament or Testimony… but now, my faith has been challenged. I came to realize that it's time to investigate further and seek further for the higher truth. I have always been curious about what is inside the Qur'an… but I never really had the chance of getting one in the Philippines… So I told my sponsor, I wanted to have an English Qur'an.

After a week, he had an appointment with the Water Ministry, and as we are approaching the building, a car was pulling out of a space and as if it was really meant for us. Guess what, my sponsor was acting surprised and elated… He said, "You are truly lucky my friend, because – we are parked in front of the only bookstore in Riyadh that is selling the English Qur'an, to day is truly your lucky day!"

I read it and I was crying while I was reading it. At last! I have found the Truth! All of what was written in the Old and New Testaments were confirmed by the Qur'an! The Qur'an in itself is indeed a Miracle and it cannot come from Man… it can only come from God. Having a clear understanding of Gods Nature out of reading the Old and New Testaments Bibles… one can easily identify the signature of God written all over the Qur'an… and every part and detail of it makes SENSE! I cannot find any flaw to make me question it. I believe every part of it, I adhere to it and I attest and Testify that there is no one worthy to be Worshiped or Praised except God and Allah is his proper name! and that Muhammad is his slave and servant! He is neither Begotten nor has He begotten, he neither sleeps nor slumber, there is nothing like him, He is not two nor three but ONE! And He is the Creator of the Heavens and the Earth and everything in it… He is the Lord of the alamin – people and jinn (unseen beings) combined… His throne exceeds the limits of the universe… not a single atom escapes his awareness, He is also the sustainer of everything in this world and outside this world. He gives life and death and life again to whom he wills and He is the sole Owner of the Day of Recompense or Judgement… and to Him All shall be returned. Allahu akbar! (God is Great!)

I FASTED that October since it was also Ramadan after one month of finishing the Qur'an inside the mosque, I made my informal Shahadah… I made 3 informal Shahaddahs since every place I visited thought I didn’t made shahadah yet. But I didn’t have a Muslim guide who can always be with me… except the Qur’an. I have read it day and night… prayed in the mosque 5 times… Been friends with the Imam… The Imam who don’t speak a word in English except Good Morning! whose name is also Muhhamad always kid me that I will become Imam when he goes back to Egypt. I never took him seriously… I know he’s just kidding – It was impossible for me to learn Arabic… it was like a tongue twister… moreover, I am nearly 40 and memorizing a foreign language would be really difficult.

My dear Brothers and sisters… for the past months… I was the occasional prayer Imam and I don’t recall how it happened and when it happened. I am recognized already as the official Muazinn. I sometimes wonder… how it happened.

But – I have never felt more happier… “a day in the courts of the Lord is better than a thousand elsewhere…” –

Please pardon me for writing long… I tried my best to summarize my story but it’s hard to give the big picture without showing the small ones that make the connection.

What I really wanted to say… “When Christ mentioned in the book of Timothy: Ask anything to my Father using my name, cast evil using my name… but there will come a time when you can pray directly to the Father without using my name,” - I am not sure what verse number it was located but I was grasping the whole context of that chapter. I was wondering why… no apostle of Jesus (Isah AlleihiSalaam) asked.. WHEN?

Then I found myself into Islam… all my hanging questions were answered.

I believe!… I surrender!…. I submit!…. I follow!...

May Allah be pleased with us all and Bless Us always to Say the Right words, think the Right Thoughts, Do the right Deeds and all at the Right Time, all the time.

Sallaamu Alikum Warahmatullahi wabarakathu Brothers and Sisters in faith!

A True Believer.

sajjuaiah

:salam2:

Allahaukbar - Allahaukbar - Allahuakbar

Very happy and many times my tear comes out when i hear the stories of reverted muslims.

May Allah guide to those who have true god consious.

“And whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a
him to get out (from every difficulty).
And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever
puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish
purpose. Indeed Allah has set a measure for all things”[al-Talaaq 65:2-3]

May allah help you and us to follow the straight path.

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Salam alaikum.

Welcome to the forum!!!

As well as a good introduction, a copy of your post could also be posted in the "New Muslim Articles" section :p

Salam alaikum.

Asalaamalikum,

Welcome to the global family brother. Allah guides whom He wills.
May Allah swt continue to shower His blessings upon you. Inshallah (God willing) you will find TTI resourceful and the rewarding experience that comes with it.

Your brother in Islam

dianne

Salam,

Allahu-akbar! Allahu-akbar! Allahu-akbar!

May Allah swt bless you brother.Thanks for sharing a truelife story.

Wassalam

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullaah

Allaahu akbar
Allaahu akbar
Allaahu akbar

Alhamdulillaah (Praise be to Allaah) for guiding you to His Deen. The greatest gift one can get in this life wallaahi is Allaahs guidance to His Islaam, subhanallaah.

May Allaah, the Exalted strengthen you in His Deen and always guide you and us akhi.

salaamun alaykum.

whenever i c long articles i jz read the 1st few lines...i get headaches..no offence to ur story ....anyways welcome to ISLAM brotha:)

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

:salam2: Brother

:ma: Your story is absolutely beautiful and it is difficult for me to shed a tear but your story did that to me. Reversions like yours remind me of the beauty of Islam everyday. Allahu akhbar.

:wasalam:
Sarah

Nimerah

Assalamualeikum!
MashaAllah... very very touching story.. I am also an Islam revert, and reading your story brought tears to my eyes, I have been where you've been. Thank you for sharing this!

Nazihah

Be A Stranger
Assalamualaikum Brother,

MashaAllah..
All praises due to Allah.
Jazakallahu khair Brother for sharing your story with us.
May Allah s.w.t strenghten our iman and make us among the righteous. Ameen.

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
AssalaamuAlaikum WRWB,

Dear brother True Bliever,

I can understand the passion and motivation behind that you wrote so detailed and inspirational story.

After a long long journey, I hope you must be looking that many many other people especially in the West, have passed their whole lives similar to you, but they never ever realized the truth or never were bless for it. You are the lucky one that you were blessed by Allah SWT. I just feel your cries and search of real truth was accepted by Allah SWT that he showed you "His Way" from the places you could never even imagine.

I pray Allah SWT bring more and more dedicated and sincere people towards Islam so that they become a source of inspiration for us. And May Allah SWT bring the Muslims to the most correct path and strong faith.

Again, dont feel that your story is too long, it is infact appreciated that you took a long long time to write it so that it can become a complete testimony of a revert. :)

WassalaamuAlaikum WRWB.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
:salam2: Brother,

:allahuakbar: :allahuakbar: :allahuakbar:

Very inspirational, as other Brothers and Sisters already said.

Jazak Allahu khayran for sharing with us your life story.

Welcome to TTI - your new family on-line. Looking forward to more contributions from you on this forum. We are happy to have you with us.

:salam2:

true believer

THANK YOU! SHOOKRAN!

Assalamualeikum!
MashaAllah... very very touching story.. I am also an Islam revert, and reading your story brought tears to my eyes, I have been where you've been. Thank you for sharing this!

Thank you so much Brothers and Sisters in Humanity and in Al Islam!

It is truly a blessing that I was able to come across this e-community.

When you are coming from and living in darkness and for so long have no idea what true light or how the truth looks and feel like... then you will surely appreciate how sweet Islam is. Nothing can compare to it.

I have been literally depending everything to Allah... but it doesn't mean that I don't work hard anymore... I still work hard - but I am not expecting that results will come from my hard work alone... the work required is just the condition of Allah, but the results and rewards will depend entirely upon his grace.

Allhamdulillah! May Allah bless all of you and your families and keep you guided to the right path - always! me included. - Ameen.

true believer

I cry everytime as well...

:salam2: Brother

:ma: Your story is absolutely beautiful and it is difficult for me to shed a tear but your story did that to me. Reversions like yours remind me of the beauty of Islam everyday. Allahu akhbar.

:wasalam:
Sarah

Salaamualaikum Sister;

I am known to my circle of influence as somebody who is hard and stone hearted. But since Allah has touched my life through adversity and grace... and indeed it was truly an amazing grace. I still cry.... everytime. I know my story and I still cry everytime I share it. Everyday for me is probably the last day... so I am anxious in keeping the 5 daily prayers... but sometimes... under a difficult circumstance like travelling or work, we may not be able to comply with our obligation to Allah... and Allah knows well so we are excused.... but having been blessed with such Grace... I cannot live by trying to look for excuses and finding no means to make prayer the priority. Even if we complete our prayer times daily... it won't be enough to express gratitude to all the blessings Allah has given us. ... Just reflect on every breath that we take... this is as countless as the stars in heaven or as the sands of the sea... being consciouss of this alone is enough reason to be thankful to Allah - always. Alhamdulillah!!! Allahu Akbar!

true believer

Subhanallah! Salaamualaikum Brother!

Thank you very much for your words of support. In fact, writing a complete story was one of my long time pending prjects... I made a website just for this and up to now, it is still unfinished.

However, I am forced to make a brief story so I can introduce myself properly in this forum. I have been alone in my journey to Islam... I am the only one from my country who is praying in the masjid near my workplace.

In fact, I am the occassional Imam and Muazzin. But all the other brothers... (Indian, Pakistani, Saudi Arab, Yemen, Bangladeshi) recognize me as the official Muazzin and 2nd Prayer Iman after the 1st Imam went for a vacation in Egypt back to his family.

I truly believe that it was Allah who was behind everything that happened. I never really imagined I would become a strong Muslim... this is the impression that my sponsor sees of me... But I still see myself as the same person as before... the only difference is... I lost my interest with worldly things... and I am more interested and enthusiastic with noble things... and I find more peace and serenity in praying... and reading and reciting the Qur'an in both Arabic and English forms...

I would really like to go home and make Dawa... since dawa is a form of Jihad... striving in the cause of Allah. And I feel that it is the duty of each and every Muslim - revert or born Muslim to spread the Message of Allah... which is - Surrah Al Iklas and the Tawheed! - After we have done this... then - we move on and continue spreading it to all the ends of the earth.

If the people will accept it Good! but if not... then, it is not our duty to baby sit Non-Muslims... our duty is to spread the Message, Warning and Promise of Allah, the rest will be Allahs' own business... and we go on. If Allah guides them, then none can misguide them... if Allah misguides them... none can guide them.

I hope my passing here is beneficial for me and you... and for everyone in humanity.

May Allah bless you and your family and mine also.... Ameen. :salah:

AssalaamuAlaikum WRWB,

Dear brother True Bliever,

I can understand the passion and motivation behind that you wrote so detailed and inspirational story.

After a long long journey, I hope you must be looking that many many other people especially in the West, have passed their whole lives similar to you, but they never ever realized the truth or never were bless for it. You are the lucky one that you were blessed by Allah SWT. I just feel your cries and search of real truth was accepted by Allah SWT that he showed you "His Way" from the places you could never even imagine.

I pray Allah SWT bring more and more dedicated and sincere people towards Islam so that they become a source of inspiration for us. And May Allah SWT bring the Muslims to the most correct path and strong faith.

Again, dont feel that your story is too long, it is infact appreciated that you took a long long time to write it so that it can become a complete testimony of a revert. :)

WassalaamuAlaikum WRWB.