Flowers for a Dead Person

Asalaamalikum,

A co-worker of mines (Christian) asked me whether she should give her passed away brother in laws wife (who are both Muslim) flowers?

Is it respect and sincerity on their part? What can she do for the passed away brother in law?

deepheart

Asalaamalikum,

A co-worker of mines (Christian) asked me whether she should give her passed away brother in laws wife (who are both Muslim) flowers?

Is it respect and sincerity on their part? What can she do for the passed away brother in law?

Assalam alaikum
If this does not answer your question you can visit the website (islam-qa.com) and ask directly.

Ruling on giving flowers to the sick

Question:
We wish to ask you about a phenomenon that has started to increase in the hospitals, which is alien to the Muslims societies and has come to us from the kaafir western societies. This is the giving of flowers to the sick, which are bought for a high price. What is your opinion of this custom?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Undoubtedly there is no benefit in these flowers and no purpose in them. They do not heal the sick person or reduce his pain or bring him good health or ward off diseases. They are merely a manufactured image of flowering plants made by hand or by machine, and sold at a high price from which the manufacturers make a profit and the purchasers lose out. This is no more than blind imitation of the west, without the slightest pause for thought. These flowers are bought for a high price, and they stay with the sick person for an hour or two, or a day or two, then they are thrown out with the trash. It would be better to keep the money and use it for something that will serve a purpose in some worldly or religious sense. Anyone who sees people buying or selling these flowers should rebuke him for doing so, in the hope that he might repent and forego this transaction which leads to nothing but loss.

Al-Lu’lu’ al-Makeen min Fataawaa al-Shaykh ibn Jibreen, p. 58

Question:
Does putting a bunch of flowers on the grave of the “unknown soldier” come under the same ruling as the actions of those who venerate their “saints (awliya’) and righteous people until they are worshipped?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

This action is an innovation (bid’ah) and exaggeration about the dead. It is similar to the actions of those who venerated the righteous and made symbols (of the dead). There is the fear that this may, with the passage of time, lead to building domes over their graves, seeking blessing from them and taking them as gods alongside Allaah. So we must not do that, in order to avoid the means that lead to shirk.

Al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, from Kitaab Fataawa Islamiyyah, 1/20.

Salam,
Your brother in Islam.

Sister June

I give flowers to my dead mother! (non muslim)Well they are fake flowers and very pretty. I DO NOT venerate her; so I dont see anything wrong with that!
Only Allah knows what is in my heart!
Flowers make everyone feel good! They are so pretty!

:tti_sister:

Asalaamalikum,

It's interesting to note that putting flowers on a dead persons grave is bidah (innovation) it is a common Western idealogy and practice.

Sister June- to some extent it may make some people feel good but you don't know if it really makes them feel good. They probably give you a smile in return for your kindness but maybe it doesn't really make them feel good. Honestly, I don't feel anything when I receive a flower. Don't get me wrong, they're beautiful on my kitchen table but it doesn't directly make me feel good.

shous

Asalaamalikum,

It's interesting to note that putting flowers on a dead persons grave is bidah (innovation) it is a common Western idealogy and practice.

Sister June- to some extent it may make some people feel good but you don't know if it really makes them feel good. They probably give you a smile in return for your kindness but maybe it doesn't really make them feel good. Honestly, I don't feel anything when I receive a flower. Don't get me wrong, they're beautiful on my kitchen table but it doesn't directly make me feel good.
Asalam aluakim,
They make me feel good! I love the smell of them. I dont think there is a right or wrong answer her; I think it is "preference".
I dont recall Muhammad PBUH saying flowers were bad to give.
I think this is a trivial topic compared to others in our culture.

snovi

Salam Alaikum

I realize this is an older post, but I could not help responding.

I grew up in the Christian and western traditions, with old eastern European traditions at my very heels. Many of my family and a number of my friends passed when I was younger. Giving flowers was just something done as a sign of memory and respect. I remember being a child and putting my face in the roses that lined my mothers casket. It was her favorite flower and a sweet smell. The delicate petals, their softness, they were comforting. Years later when my grandmother passed I experienced the same thing. The same saddness, but the same comforts.

It's true the flowers fade. Some are tossed, but others are hidden in books pressed with our memories. Some are planted in our gardens or are hanging from our porches to grow for years to come, bringing back the memory of that person. It is not in a form of worship, but just in fondness. I could never worship the women who have come into my life, but I will always love them. I am greatful to Allah swt that He gave them to me for this time and the flowers to show my respect.

I think there is no right or wrong answer. It depends on the person giving and getting. It is a personal choice of values.

Allah hafez

mekazim

I give flowers to my dead mother! (non muslim)Well they are fake flowers and very pretty. I DO NOT venerate her; so I dont see anything wrong with that!
Only Allah knows what is in my heart!
Flowers make everyone feel good! They are so pretty!

:tti_sister:

assalamu alikum
dear sister its not about what we like or what harm do they bring its about following other non muslims traditions which is bidaa in islam

mekazim

assalamu alikum
dear sister its not about what we like or what harm do they bring its about following other non muslims traditions which is bidaa in islam

the best thing u can do for ur dear dead ones is dua and give charity on thier behalf
Allah knows the best
May Allah show us siraat-e-mustaqeem

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
I don't think giving flowers is bad. I like them. When I was in Bangladesh, the Imamshab at our masjid gave me a flower that he picked off a tree in the Madrashah grounds. I liked it. I makes ME feel good.