Keeping Nails

zarah

Islam
Staff member
:salam2: ,

I just wanted to find out if it is halal to keep nails and pray salah as long as the nail is clean.

i have heard from many people that you should cut your nails due to nails are dirty even if its clean.

Is their a hadith in the Qu`ran that i can quote back to.

:jazaak:

:wasalam:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
:wasalam:

There are hadith which mention importance of cleanliness and that fingernails should be cut. Also keep in mind that if nail polish is used and the water cant get underneath it, then a person can not do Wudhu, unless they remove it.

The following is a fatwa from a scholar, he says it is makrooh, or disliked.. and may even be haram to keep one's nails long.

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=21606&ln=eng&txt=long%20nails

Question:
What is the ruling on those who let all or some of their nails grow long?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.
Letting the nails grow long is makrooh, if not haraam, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) set a time limit for cutting the nails, and said that they should not be left for more than forty days. (Narrated by Muslim in al-Tahaarah, 258).

It is strange that those who claim to be civilized leave their nails to grow even though they trap dirt and make a person look like an animal. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Use whatever causes blood to flow, and eat the animals if the name of Allaah is mentioned on slaughtering them. Do not slaughter with teeth or fingernails and I will tell you why: it is because teeth are bones (i.e., cannot cut properly) and fingernails are the tools used by the Ethiopians (whom we should not imitate for they are infidels).” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari in al-Sharikah, 3507; Muslim in al-Adaahi, 1968). This refers to the fact that they used to use their fingernails as knives to slaughter animals and cut the meat, etc. This is the way of those who resemble animals.

Kitaab al-Da’wah, 5. Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 2/79

Karima

First, clean the nail, put on the polish, then wash over the polish to do wudhu. The nail remains clean under the polish. There is no way dirt can get to the top of the nail if it is protected by polish. A clear polish does not take away from the normal nail.
I can understand dirt getting under long nails...

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum

:salam2:

Doesn`t matter if the nails are long or short there is always a way dirt going into the nails.

Nail polish is haram to use,i have heard your salah(Prayer) is not valid if wearing colored or transparent polish.
:astag:

:wasalam: :biggrin:

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Assalam aleikum,

The search option isn't really reliable i was searching for this thread, i wrote : nails and stuff on Ressurection day, food came up ?/???!!
Anyway, i have my info so alhamdoulilah..

Ali(Whalan)

Doesn`t matter if the nails are long or short there is always a way dirt going into the nails.

Nail polish is haram to use,i have heard your salah(Prayer) is not valid if wearing colored or transparent polish.
:astag:

:wasalam: :biggrin:
my dear, what you are saying is that if someone had to make wudu then put on nail polish and pray,their prayer would not be valid or not accepted!! And that is far fetched.. Abu Wafa'a Ali the scholar who wrote the biggest book this world has seen had the opinion that if someone cleaned themselves, & did not clean their nails properly or left some dirt underthem,his prayer would not be valid..Thus we understand that if he cleans them properly his prayer is valid or correct..

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

I cut my nails every Friday :D but here is something from Islamqa

Question:
What is the ruling on men or women letting their nails grow long? If it is forbidden, what is the wisdom behind this prohibition?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Cutting the nails is part of the fitrah, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The fitrah is five things: circumcision, removing the pubic hair, trimming the moustache, cutting the nails, and plucking the armpit hairs.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). According to another hadeeth, ten things are part of the fitrah, including cutting the nails. Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) set a time limit for us to cut our moustaches, cut our nails, pluck our armpit hairs and shave our pubic hairs: we were not to leave it any longer than forty days.” (Reported by Ahmad, Muslim and al-Nisaa’i; this version narrated by Ahmad). Whoever does not cut his nails is going against the fitrah. The reason behind this is cleanliness and hygiene, because dirt can gather under the nails. It also serves the purpose of making us different from those among the kuffaar who allow their nails to grow long, and from animals that have claws and talons. (Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/173).

Most women nowadays have fallen into the trap of resembling savage animals with their long claw-like nails, which they then paint with nail polish. This ugly appearance looks utterly repulsive to any intelligent person whose fitrah is sound. Another bad habit that many people have is to leave one nail long. All of this is clearly contrary to the ways of the fitrah. We ask Allaah to keep us safe and sound. Allaah is the Guide to the Straight Path.

Islam Q&A

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
Pls can somebody correct me if im wrong
shaitans live under your nails and when u eat they can make you bad thoughts,thats why u have to always cut your nails as short as possible.I dont know from where I know this..Is there a hadith saying that?Does anyone know
About the nail polish I've read it long time ago that its not permissible to use it ,because when u make Wudu,the water can't go under your nails .
Can somebody correct me if Im wrong ,becaus this is from what I know...
wasalam

Ali(Whalan)

salam aleikum
shaitans live under your nails and when u eat they can make you bad thoughts,thats why u have to always cut your nails as short as possible.I dont know from where I know this..Is there a hadith saying that?Does anyone know
About the nail polish I've read it long time ago that its not permissible to use it ,because when u make Wudu,the water can't go under your nails .
wasalam
Asalaam alaikum sis, the part about shaytan living under your nails,wrong..the second part about when you make wudu,correct..

BintMuhammad

Staff member
salam aleikum
wasalam

Oh yeah! I remember when I was a kid, I heard someone say that to grow the nails and the hair extremely long is not good as the Shaytan clings on them. Any evidence of this?

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member

Oh yeah! I remember when I was a kid, I heard someone say that to grow the nails and the hair extremely long is not good as the Shaytan clings on them. Any evidence of this?

yes thats what I want to know ,coz why ppl say that,should be evidence for it

Muslimah88

I also heard about shaytan living under ur nails if they are too long and i also heard that if u eat with ur left hand shaytan eats with u is this true because I am left handed and do almost everything with my left hand and sometimes I really try to eat with my right hand but I slip sometimes :(

Ali(Whalan)

There is a narration from the prophet PBUH saying:(Dont eat with your left,for verily the shaytan eats with the left)... And as for the shaytan eating with you, it is when you forget to say Bismillah at the begining then he eats with you,& if you happen to recall half way,then you should say bismillahi from the begining and the end(this is actually surppose to be in arabic, but i dont know how to write the transliteration)someone pls help me with that..

Muslimah88

There is a narration from the prophet PBUH saying:(Dont eat with your left,for verily the shaytan eats with the left)... And as for the shaytan eating with you, it is when you forget to say Bismillah at the begining then he eats with you,& if you happen to recall half way,then you should say bismillahi from the begining and the end(this is actually surppose to be in arabic, but i dont know how to write the transliteration)someone pls help me with that..

thank you for clarifying that :)