It is Permissible to Pray with Shoes On

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Permissibility of praying in shoes​

Question:
Is it permissible to pray wearing shoes when necessary, or not?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Yes, that is permissible, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed wearing his shoes. In al-Saheeh it is narrated that Abu Sa’eed said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) lead us in prayer whilst he was wearing his shoes, then he took them off [whilst still praying], and the people took their shoes off too. When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said the Tasleem [at the end of the prayer], they said: “O Messenger of Allaah, you took off your shoes, so we took off our shoes too.” He said: “Jibreel came to me and told me that there was some dirt on them, so I took them off. When any one of you comes to the mosque, let him look at his shoes, and if he sees any dirt on them, let him wipe them. And they can be purified with dust.”

(Narrated by Abu Dawood, no. 650). The point here is that praying in shoes is permissible. It says in the hadeeth: “Be different from the Jews, pray wearing your slippers or shoes.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood, no. 652). But the condition is that the shoes must be taahir (pure, clean). If there is any najaasah (impurity) or dirt on the shoes, then one should not pray wearing them or enter the mosque in shoes, unless he is sure that they are free of impurity or dirt. And Allaah knows best.

Fataawa Samaahat al-Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Humayd, p. 93

[/CENTER][/B]

COLOR="Red"]But the condition is that the shoes must be taahir (pure, clean). If there is any najaasah (impurity) or dirt on the shoes, then one should not pray wearing them or enter the mosque in shoes, unless he is sure that they are free of impurity or dirt. And Allaah knows best. [/COLOR][/B]

For this reason now a days some brothers coming in our mosque with their shoes and where he pray with nike his shoes other brother give at that place sujjuod.

:astag:
People are using some hadiths where there is nothing neeed of that.

BintMuhammad

Staff member
For this reason now a days some brothers coming in our mosque with their shoes and where he pray with nike his shoes other brother give at that place sujjuod.

:astag:
People are using some hadiths where there is nothing neeed of that.

:salam2:

Did you check if the shoes had something impure? Please don't assume when you're not sure about it. Also, ofcourse it is not right to wear the shoes on if the mosque is carpeted.

However, if the mosque is furnished [with carpets and the like], we should keep it clean from shoes and not enter wearing shoes, lest we make the place dirty by bringing in something unclean on our shoes.

excerpt from IslamQA

Walking with shoes in the mosque

Did you check if the shoes had something impure? Please don't assume when you're not sure about it.

hehehe sister do you know what.

people wanted to kick him out from that mosque.
there was not any bad things but he used to walk with that on the street and there is a lot ......which is stink´s. and people have to wash then carpet.

BintMuhammad

Staff member
hehehe sister do you know what.

people wanted to kick him out from that mosque.
there was not any bad things but he used to walk with that on the street and there is a lot ......which is stink´s. and people have to wash then carpet.

If that's the case then that's something unlikely. The purpose of that post is that there are people who mocks at brothers who wear their shoes on when praying especially in public areas, like the market or wherever there isn't a clean place to pray.

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

I've got a question. Yesterday at Taraweeh prayers, the masjid was packed so me and a couple of Brothers had to pray outside. There were no carpets so we found a quite spot beside the masjid and prayed on concrete until the there was some space inside. We ALL prayed with our shoes on even though our shoes must've been pretty dirty. So is this permitted?

wasalam

BintMuhammad

Staff member

I've got a question. Yesterday at Taraweeh prayers, the masjid was packed so me and a couple of Brothers had to pray outside. There were no carpets so we found a quite spot beside the masjid and prayed on concrete until the there was some space inside. We ALL prayed with our shoes on even though our shoes must've been pretty dirty. So is this permitted?

wasalam

:) Insha Allaah brother. The hadeeth given by IslamQA says the Prophet did pray with his shoes on, until the angel Jibreel Alayhissalaam told him that there is something impure (Najaasah) on it.

BintMuhammad

Staff member
This was sent to me. Insha Allaah it's helpful. Sorry if it's a lil disorganized. I'm at work, so can hardly edit it :( If someone can edit it for me, please do so. :D

According to the most correct opinion of Muslim Scholars list
the impurities in Islamic Shariah?

Dead Animals – animals which die from natural causes, that is
without proper Islamic way of slaughtering.

Exceptions:
i. Dead animals of the sea and dead locusts
ii. Dead animal that have no running blood (i.e. bees, ants, and so on)

Although in Fiqhus Sunnah, it is mentioned that the bones, horns, claws, fur, feathers, skin and soon of dead animals are considered to be pure, Shaykh al Albani said: Rather the skin of dead animals is established to be impure due to the many ahaadeeth from the Prophet, allallaahu 'alaihi wa sallaam, such as his, sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallaam, saying, "When the skin is tanned then it is purified" [Reported by Muslim and others].

The fact that the skin has to be tanned to make it pure is clearly shown by the following hadeeth reported by Ibn 'Abbaas – (p7-8). [TM]
> Blood . Fiqhus Sunnah. This includes blood that pours forth from an
> animal's body such as blood from a slaughtered animal or from
> menstruation except for what a small amounts are overlooked.[ 11]
> Shaykh Al Albani says: This is incorrect due to two reasons: That
> there is no proof for this from the Book or Sunnah – and the
> principle is that things are pure unless declared impure in a text.
> That it contradicts what is established in the Sunnah.
> 1. As for the blood of humans – then that is shown to be pure by
the
> hadeeth of the Ansaaree who prayed at night and was struck by
arrows
> and continued praying even though his blood flowed. [Reported in
> mu'allaq form by al-Bukhaaree and connected by Ahmad and others –
> Saheeh Abee Daawood, 193]
> 2. As for the blood of animals – then that is also pure as shown by
> the authentic narration that Ibn Mas'ood some camels and ??? became
> smeared with their blood and excrement – then the 'Iqaamah was
given
> and he prayed without making wudoo.
> 3. Reported by 'Abdur-Razzaaq in his musannaf (1/125), Ibn Abee
> Shaibah (1/392) and at-Tabaraanee in al-Mu'jamul- Kabeer 9/283) with
> Saheeh isnaad from him.
>
> Pig's meat
>
> i. Say (O Muhammad SAW): "I find not in that which has been
inspired
> to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it,
> unless it be Maytatah (a dead animal) or blood poured forth (by
> slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of swine (pork, etc.) for
> that surely is impure, or impious (unlawful) meat (of an animal)
> which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allah (or has
> been slaughtered for idols, etc., or on which Allah's Name has not
> been mentioned while slaughtering) . But whosoever is forced by
> necessity without willful disobedience, nor transgressing due
limits,
> (for him) certainly, your Lord is OftForgiving, Most Merciful."
> [6:145]
>
> Vomiting of a person, urine and excrement
>
> Al Wadi – a thick white secretion discharged (by some people) after
> urination.
>
> Al Madhi or Prostatic Fluid.

> List the means of purifications.
> Water
> Earth
> Solid materials (except bones and dungs)
>
> How do you clean a carpet it there is some impurity?
>
> Pour water over it until the traces of impurity of disappear.
>
> How do you clean a ground if it is impure?
>
> Purifying the ground: If there are impurities on the ground, it is
> purified by pouring water over it. This is proven by Abu Hurairah's
> hadith, mentioned earlier, about the bedouin who urinated in the
> mosque. The Prophet, upon whom be peace, said all that needed to be
> done for purification was to pour water over it. Said Abu
> Qulabah, "The drying of the ground is its purification. " 'Aishah
> said, "The purification of the ground is its becoming dry."
(Related
> by Ibn Abi Shaibah.)
This, of course, refers to the case where the
> impurity is a liquid. If the impurity is a solid, the ground will
> only become pure by its removal or decay.

Asalaamalikum,

I have 2 questions:

1) Do you have to clean your (both clean & impure) socks or other foot coverings (i.e. cast) if when you are doing wudu?

2) If there is no water and you perform tayammum, how is it different from cleaning the ground or carpet with water? I mean when you perform tayammum aren't you getting impure dusts on yourself, although the ground maybe unclean? I believe it has to do with the persons intention and situation. Maybe someone can provide a scholarly answer.

Tayammum - Is abulation performed by striking one's hands lightly over clean earth, sand or stone then passing the palm of each hand on the back of the other, blowing off any dust then passing the hands over the face, etc.

All praises to Allah and the mistakes are mine

Ali(Whalan)

bros & sis sometimes knowing that something is allowed doesn't mean you have to act upon it every time.. Like the bro who got kicked out, if something might bring about fitnah for the layman,then don't do it.. Thats if there is nothing wrong in leaving it..
and like the sis pointed out,there is a difference between dirt and something classed impure by Islam so read her passage..:)