Actual ruling of the beard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muawiyah

:salam2:

My name is muawiyah and i am 14 years old. I am a sunni. I am posting here, because i want to know the actual hanafi ruling to the beard, because my beard is already almost complete, i wanted to know if its either makrooh or haraam to shave. Please reply swiftly. Jazakallah.

:wasalam: :)

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

wow this is a very complicated issue. i have read many opinions from scholars and i would say for every 5 scholars, three would say that it's haram to shave the beard. they bring up good reasons as to why it is so. the other side also have convincing evidence too. i personally wear a beard and for me it has been a blessing. i don't think that i am better than a muslim that doesn't wear a beard. only Allah SWT knows why a muslim may shave.

:wasalam:

thefighter

I applause you juniour careful Muslim, and thanks for links about the 4 Imam's rulings towards the beard.
In fact, I have an opinion in this issue, taking into account that all the evidences are respectable...

Be sure that I don't refuse or ignore any evidence insh Allah (SWT), but even if it's haram, I think it's from (sagha'er) small sins becaues if you look into the discussions of imams, they talked about shaving as a imitating disvelievers, which is not the case in our age; many Muslims shave their beards.

Once again, I am with having a beard because it's very important to follow the sunnah, but what I mean is that IT IS NOT THE PRIORITY, AT ALL.

danial

discussions of imams, they talked about shaving as a imitating disvelievers,

after all, they are just the imams.although they might super exceed most of our religious knowledge, at the end of the day, THEY ARENT ALLAH, they may guide u but they cant actually tell u what to do.

so, only God knows best. I personally think that IF u shave ur beard but in ur heart n mind u COMPETENTLY and CONSCIOUSLY know that the purpose of shaving is NOT because u wanna be identified with "the non believers", i think its not such a big deal actually(in my opinion). there are other more important things in life such as the 5 pillars of islam.

pls, brothers and sisters who read this, dont take any offence. im not trying to oppose religion or the imams or anything.just saying my views. i jus feel if ur heart and mind is in the right place, shaving ur beard wouldnt matter much.

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
I'm sorry, but I just don't get it ...

I met a brother the other day unexpectedly. I was with my wife (who obediently adorns the Hijaab, to please Allah) at her university. He didn't properly greet me. He didn't wear a beard. He wasn't fasting, and told me this (along with a worthless excuse, which I politely nodded and smiled to of course). He started asking me if I knew who "Samey Usef" was, saying that he has beautiful music about Islam, Allah, and the Prophet PBUH. I've come across this heretic whilst browsing through YouTube, but nonetheless I had to confirm what I was hearing by asking: "You mean nasheeds?" He replied, "No, Islamic music". I asked him just what exactly "Islamic music" was (knowing fully-well what a paradox such an assertion is) and he gave me the expected response. I guess that I must have subconsciously had a look of disappointment on my face. That's when he asked me if I was a "Sunni Muslim".

I said, "No, I'm a Muslim" and excused myself so that my wife and I could get home.

If our men can't even have the courage to wear the beard, as the Prophet PBUH and companions did, as we're explicitly told to from many different angles and from many different sources... if we can't even follow through with something as simple as this, and if all it takes is for some "comtemporary imams" to direct us away from the sunnah, surely this Ummah will remain paralyzed and diseased until we start taking our faith more seriously. And I mean all of us, myself included.

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but this issue of the beard is really rediculous. 97% of the brothers I come across either completely shave it off or have trimmed it down to nothing. Are they ashamed to look like a Muslim in public, to look something like Muhammad PBUH would have? I haven't ever said anything, or expressed my disappointment until now. Heck, even two of the three Imams at my masjid trim their beards down to a centimeter. But not me, no way, nuh uh! When God inspires Muhammad PBUH to say: "Those who remove their beards will be removed from the mercy of Allah" (or words to that effect)... it just doesn't compute, I just can't comprehend choosing to shave.

May Allah guide us, please, and may we choose to follow..! Ameen

:wasalam:

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
:salam2: brother Brandon,

I completely agree with u! I do also question myself thinking the same as u: is it so difficult to let it grow? ....but then I think about myself before wearing jilbaab (not hijaab, I'm talking about the islamic "dress" for women,not just the scarf - for those who don't know :)), it was more difficult than wearing hijaab, but then I pushed myself to follow what the sunnah is and alhamdulillah! I've learnt! I think it's just a matter of stages and also having the right muslims around you that talk about sunnah ...not "Islamic music" :SMILY335:

M

Moadeeb

Salam brother Brandon and sister Ukht1,

I just want to point out that the Shafi school sees that shortening the beard or shaving it without an excuse is only disliked not haram, Check:

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=3&ID=14618&CATE=414

However, I read that the Hanafi school doesn't allow shaving the beard, may be one of the moderators would help us with that.

Salam

Moadeeb

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
:wasalam: brother

What does the school of the Prophet PBUH and his companions say about it? Maybe the school of the Shafi will dislike the punishment of Hellfire for distorting the sunnah, as well.

Maybe not. Allah knows best, that much I know. And the haddiths are pretty clear too, I also know this...

/shrug

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

Question: Is it permissible for a man to shave his beard?

Answered by Sheikh Salman al-Oadah

Shaving the beard is unlawful in Islam. There are many statements related from the Prophet (peace be upon him) in this regard such as the one related by Abu Hurayrah “Clip your moustaches and let your beards grow. Be different than Magians.” [Sahîh Muslim (260)] and the one related by Ibn `Umar that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Be different than polytheists. Let your beards grow and trim your moustaches [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (5892) & Sahîh Muslim (259)].

However, cutting off what extends beyond your handful when you grasp your beard is lawful. The evidence for this is statements related to Ibn `Umar [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (5892)] and known to be approved by some Companions, Successors, and scholars.

And Allah knows best.

Since this topic has been discussed several times before on TTI, the thread will now be closed.

Please use the search engine on the top of the page before creating any thread to avoid repetition of a topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.