disrespect at masjid

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

last night i came across something the masjid, and it disturbed me very much. many of you that may have read my posts know that i am a revert and that i am of mixed ancestry. as we all know, it's the month a ramadan right now, it is a time to create greater bonds within the ummah. would you believe that countless numbers of muslims passed me by without ever saying salaam. i was actually counting until i had lost count.

i practically had to go out of my way to make someone respond to my salaams. why? this ummah is so fragile right now due to the fact of all the hatred being spewed by the media. we cannot afford this behavior. this was going on right before salatul ishaa, and i was ready to leave because of the disrespect that i had felt. but i decided to stay for ishaa and taraweeh.

when it came time for the taslim, i had to practically throw my hand in someone's face to receive a salaam. how dare we not give salaams to each other, when people today are wishing for our demise?

my point is, how can we complain about the CNN, BBC and FOX News of the world when it comes to bashing islam, and we can't even say hello to fellow muslims?

now i was strong enough to stay at the masjid because i realize that islam is perfect and that muslims aren't. but think of those that may not have been strong enough to stay, and possibly gave up on being muslim because of my same experience. we're going around saying islam means peace, but we aren't giving the most fundamentals of the sign of peace by saying salaam.

inshAllah i will be able to talk about this issue from a minbar one day.

:wasalam:

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

last night i came across something the masjid, and it disturbed me very much. many of you that may have read my posts know that i am a revert and that i am of mixed ancestry. as we all know, it's the month a ramadan right now, it is a time to create greater bonds within the ummah. would you believe that countless numbers of muslims passed me by without ever saying salaam. i was actually counting until i had lost count.

inshAllah i will be able to talk about this issue from a minbar one day.

Assalamualaikum dearest akhi,

if you had lost count, it means there are lots of them...:hearts:

InshAllah , you will get to talk on the minbar...very optimistic mashAllah :)
Bro , you know you got great confidence....very uplifting...

Suggestion:
How about you spreading the importance of sayaing salam to a small group of people and bits by bits it will grow inshAllah

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Assalamualaikum dearest akhi,

if you had lost count, it means there are lots of them...:hearts:

InshAllah , you will get to talk on the minbar...very optimistic mashAllah :)
Bro , you know you got great confidence....very uplifting...

Suggestion:
How about you spreading the importance of sayaing salam to a small group of people and bits by bits it will grow inshAllah

jazakAllah khayr, inshAllah i will

Musulmanin

Indeed, Islam is perfect, but unfortunately muslims aren't.

What you described or something similar happens to many, just do what you have to do, others will be responsable for their actions and ignorance. That's what I do, patience (sabr) is the answer. InshAllah, we all get more of it.

wasalam

huda2

Hey bro, did u say asalama aleikum and they didnt respond? if its yes :mashallah: u did yr part and allaah will reward u, its their lost. but dont give up keep saying to them. Also try to go to another masjid and see if they do the same. If they do the same then the people of yr city must be crazy rude muslims.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

Hey bro, did u say asalama aleikum and they didnt respond? if its yes :mashallah: u did yr part and allaah will reward u, its their lost. but dont give up keep saying to them. Also try to go to another masjid and see if they do the same. If they do the same then the people of yr city must be crazy rude muslims.

Assalamualikum bro and sis

sister huda gave 2 important things

1) Dont give up giving salam bro
2) Try other mosque and see whether you get the same response or even better educate the people at the mosque you went

But maybe they are just a bit shock to see a revert , not to the extent of being crazy , before they are able to reply or think straight

kayleigh

Yeah, I've had a lot of the same problems. When I say it, they just smile and say hi. I can understand them doing that in public, since as a really white (lol) revert, they might not think I'm actually Muslim, but to do it in the masjid? Or they just stare blankly at me without saying a word.

hambaAllah

at times we have to make the first move

:bismillah:

Whenever i see a muslimah,, especially those in hijab,,jilbab or niqab , anywhere,, while walking,, when nearing them,, i just give them a salam with a smile on my face,, and you could see some of them kind of shock,, but responded ,, either by smiling or responding with return salam. Occassionally i do get those who dont respond,, but it doesnt matter,, i tried to spread the love of sisterhood among the muslimah,, only Allah knows best why they dont respond..that doesnt prevent me from greeting others.. just loves seeing their reactions and smiles.

:wasalam::hijabi:

Islam!!yay

I know

I have a few muslim friends at skool .....and all of them are not acting as they should as muslims..They have a bad character ....they make fun of others....especially this one girl muslim girl who wears a hijab in an american high school is ******excuse me for the language but theres no other ways i can describe her ....and my other bad muslim friend (karim) i saw him holding a bottle of water in the morning on ramadan ...and i think im the only good (compared to them) muslim kid in skool ,,,, i dont hate anyone,,,,and i dont make fun of anyone ....my jewish and christian friends are more kinder and theyre never mean..what a shame:astag:

In the morning of any day when i say Hey!!!!theyre just like hey they say in a bad way you`ll they dont mean it

But keep your faith brother ...islam is perfect ....muslims arent perfect

amir_al_shahid

salam aleykum
this pb of not ppl say salam to u in masjid i can have the same pb sometimes, im a swedish convert so i dont look as an arab or african wich are most who go to masjid here so always i need be the one who say salam first then if lucky some say it back. Its very frustrating but if u go to one mosque often they will recognize u inshallah

Muslimah-S

Seek The Almighty

Walikumasalam
Here is a perfect example I was longing to point out.
Brother Nyerekareem you greeted us with salam, nobody but me said Walikumasalam, instead asalamualikum was said.
My point is even in posts we should be careful and say walikumasalam if someone in thier post salam us.
No offence just want to let u know my brothers and sisters. :hijabi:

Unlike reverts many born Muslim lack knowledge of what Islam is and why they are Muslims. :girl3:
But Only by Allah's Mercy people who have the realisation as a born Muslim or a revert know the meaning of Islam and try to follow it thier best.
We have a duty to convey this message.
So lets not look down at them, lets's help them up.
As we have knowledge lets share it won't decrease.
As brother Alkathiri said teach them the importance of this beautiful greeting. :)

abou haytam

The importance of saying salaam and returning the greeting

Question:
CAN YOU TELL ME A DETAIL INFORMATION ON THE IMPORTANCE OF SAYING SALAAM AND SAYING WAALAIKUM-AS-SALAAM

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

All people have the custom of greeting one another, and every group has its own distinctive greeting that distinguishes them from other people.

The Arabs used to greet one another with the words “An’im sabaahan” or “An’imu sabaahan” [equivalent to “Good morning” – Translator], using words derived from “al-ni’mah”, which means good living after the morning. The idea was that because the morning is the first part of the day, if a person encounters something good in the morning, the rest of the day will be good too.

When Islam came, Allaah prescribed that the manner of greeting among Muslims should be “Al-salaamu alaykum,” and that this greeting should only be used among Muslims and not for other nations. The meaning of salaam (literally, peace) is harmlessness, safety and protection from evil and from faults. The name al-Salaam is a Name of Allaah, may He be exalted, so the meaning of the greeting of salaam which is required among Muslims is, “May the blessing of His Name descend upon you.” The usage of the preposition ‘ala in ‘alaykum (upon you) indicates that the greeting is inclusive.

Ibn al-Qayyim said in Badaa’i' al-Fawaa’id (144):

“Allaah, the Sovereign, the Most Holy, the Peace, prescribed that the greeting among the people of Islam should be ‘al-salaamu ‘alaykum’, which is better than all the greetings of other nations which include impossible ideas or lies, such as saying, ‘May you live for a thousand years,’ or things that are not accurate, such as ‘An’im sabaahan (Good morning),’ or actions that are not right, such as prostrating in greeting. Thus the greeting of salaam is better than all of these, because it has the meaning of safety which is life, without which nothing else can be achieved. So this takes precedence over all other aims or objectives. A person has two main aims in life: to keep himself safe from evil, and to get something good. Keeping safe from evil takes precedence over getting something good…”

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made spreading salaam a part of faith. Al-Bukhaari (12, 28 and 6236), Muslim (39), Ahmad (2/169), Abu Dawood (5494), al-Nisaa’i, (8/107) and Ibn Hibbaan (505) narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar that a man asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “What is the best thing in Islam?” He said, “Feeding others and giving the greeting of salaam to those whom you know and those whom you do not know.”

Ibn Hajar said in al-Fath (1/56):

“i.e., do not single out anybody out of arrogance or to impress them, but do it to honour the symbols of Islam and to foster Islamic brotherhood.”

Ibn Rajab said in al-Fath (1/43):

“The hadeeth makes the connection between feeding others and spreading salaam because this combines good actions in both word and deed, which is perfect good treatment (ihsaan). Indeed, this is the best thing that you can do in Islam after the obligatory duties.”

Al-Sanoosi said in Ikmaal al-Mu’allim (1/244):

“What is meant by salaam is the greeting between people, which sows seeds of love and friendship in their hearts, as does giving food. There may be some weakness in the heart of one of them, which is dispelled when he is greeted, or there may be some hostility, which is turned to friendship by the greeting.”

Al-Qaadi said in Ikmaal al-Mu’allim (1:276):

“Here the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was urging the believers to soften their hearts. The best Islamic attitude is to love one another and greet one another, and this is achieved by words and deeds. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) urged the Muslims to foster love between one another by exchanging gifts and food, and by spreading salaam, and he forbade the opposite, namely forsaking one another, turning away from one another, spying on one another, seeking out information about one another, stirring up trouble and being two faced.

Love is one of the duties of Islam and one of the pillars of the Islamic system. One should give salaams to those whom one knows and those whom one does not know, out of sincerity towards Allaah; one should not try to impress other people by giving salaams only to those whom one knows and no-one else. This also entails an attitude of humility and spreading the symbols of this ummah through the word of salaam.”

Thus the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained that this salaam spreads love and brotherhood. Muslim (54), Ahmad (2/391), and al-Tirmidhi (2513) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“You will not enter Paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Shall I not tell you about something which, if you do it, you will love one another? Spread salaam amongst yourselves.”

Al-Qaadi ‘Ayaad said in al-Ikmaal (1/304):

“This is urging us to spread salaam, as mentioned above, among those whom we know and those whom we do not know. Salaam is the first level of righteousness and the first quality of brotherhood, and it is the key to creating love. By spreading salaam the Muslims’ love for one another grows stronger and they demonstrate their distinctive symbols and spread a feeling of security amongst themselves. This is the meaning of Islam.”

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also explained the reward earned by the one who says salaam, as was reported by al-Nisaa’i in ‘Aml al-yawm wa’l-laylah (368) and al-Bukhaari in al-Adab al-Mufrad (586) and by Ibn Hibban (493). They reported from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that a man passed by the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) whilst he was sitting with some others, and said “Salaam ‘alaykum (peace be upon you).” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “[He will have] ten hasanaat (rewards).” Another man passed by and said “Salaam ‘alaykum wa rahmat-Allaah (peace be upon you and the mercy of Allaah).” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “[He will have] twenty hasanaat.” Another man passed by and said “Salaam ‘alaykum wa rahmat-Allaahi wa barakaatuhu (peace be upon you and the mercy of Allaah and His blessings).” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “[He will have] thirty hasanaat.”

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded us to return salaams, and made it a right and a duty. Ahmad (2/540), al-Bukhaari (1240), Muslim (2792), al-Nisaa’i in al-Yawm wa’l-Laylah (221) and Abu Dawood (5031) all reported that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Muslim has five rights over his fellow-Muslim: he should return his salaams, visit him when he is sick, attend his funeral, accept his invitation, and pray for mercy for him [say “Yarhamuk Allaah”] when he sneezes.”

It is clear that it is obligatory to say salaam and return salaams, because by doing so a Muslim is giving you safety and you have to give him safety in return. It is as if he is saying to you, “I am giving you safety and security,” so you have to give him the same, so that he does not get suspicious or think that the one to whom he has given salaam is betraying him or ignoring him. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that if Muslims are ignoring or forsaking one another, this will be put to an end when one of them gives salaam. Al-Bukhaari (6233) reported that Abu Ayyoob (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘It is not permissible for a Muslim to forsake his brother for more than three days, each of them turning away from the other if they meet. The better of them is the first one to say salaam.’”

This is a brief overview of the importance of giving and returning salaam.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

abou haytam

would you believe that countless numbers of muslims passed me by without ever saying salaam. i was actually counting until i had lost count.

when i read the title i though there was a fight in your msjid or someone push you out.

tell me brother did you try to say salam first?? why you are waiting that they start first. as a revert you should show that you are muslim. as a born muslim and live in a western country i am pretty affected by the society. i mean people here are in general distante and everyone is in his business...i have a lot of freind '' borne muslim'' that feel like that. i am not justifying that we are right tonot say salam, but i try to explain how a society can affect our behaviors.

So next time brother start first to say salam .:)

BrotherZak

SALAM

ONE OF THE SIGNS OF THE HOUR IS THAT MUSLIMS WILL ONLY SALAM TO THOSE THEY RECOGNIZE..TAKE HEED

"One of the signs of the Last Hour is to restrict one's use of the Islamic greetings to those who are known to one. If a Muslim meets another brother, unknown to him, and he does not greet him, he is violating the Sunnah of the Prophet, sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam. The Prophet's teaching is to greet a Muslim regardless of whether we know that Muslim. These greetings enhance the harmony and peace between Muslims.

It is narrated on the authority of `Abdullah ibn Mas`ood: The Messenger of Allah, sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam, said, what means: "Verily, in the presence of the Last Hour, giving salam would be limited to those known, trade would spread, until even a wife assigns her husband to trade for her, ties of kinship would be broken, and false testimony, concealing evidence and the calligraphic style (reed pen) would appear." (A sound hadith related by Ahmad and Hakim).

`Abdullah ibn Mas`ood reported: The Messenger of Allah, sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam, said: Verily, among the signs of the Hour is that greeting (of Islam) is limited to those known only. In another report: A man will greet 'salaam' only to his intimate fellow. (A sound hadith narrated by Ahmad) "

mohsofi_abdullah

Salam all,
This is very normal nowadays, that some born muslims aren't really the best of examples to follow.
Indeed, some arab people in my country, only restrict their Islamic rapport to their own people, while towards others, they are very hostile and rude.
In my country, they are known for their rudeness, while in their countries, they would do the same. In Dubai, for example. A friend of mine lived there for a few months, and he said, the born muslims would impose on the the foreign workers things you can't imagine. If you don't wear and talk like them, you're just another stranger for them to make fun of.
So, yeah. I just hope all the born muslims will realize this.
It is indeed, very sad.
Wassalam

gazkour

assalamo alikom wa rahmato Allah wa barakato

I completely understand what you say brother.
I'm also a reverted sister and I used to get really ofended when not receiving a reply to my salam. But I came across a hadith that unfotunately I don't remember by the letter but it says basically that when you greet and you don't recieve an answer you will get all the hasanaat that this brother or sister were supposed to get! SubhanaAllah!! Now, because I want more baraka for my life I try to greet as many people as I can so every time I get even more rewards.:muslim_child: a

Assalamo alikom wa rahmato Allah wa barakato.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
when i read the title i though there was a fight in your msjid or someone push you out.

tell me brother did you try to say salam first?? why you are waiting that they start first. as a revert you should show that you are muslim. as a born muslim and live in a western country i am pretty affected by the society. i mean people here are in general distante and everyone is in his business...i have a lot of freind '' borne muslim'' that feel like that. i am not justifying that we are right tonot say salam, but i try to explain how a society can affect our behaviors.

So next time brother start first to say salam .:)

i did say the salaams first. they looked at me like a deer in the headlights.

the only truth

striving for jannah
salam

certainly bro i know wat ur sayn...sumtyms wen i see muslims approaching my way in the streets i have an intention of saying salaam or even smiling...bt what do they do...not even look my way, honestly its disturbing...

wassalam.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
waaleikum salam
Thats really surprising me
Why they dont answer to u ?
I always say salam first to everybody with big smile ,because I'm so happy when I see other muslim sisters:)cant help it
I been offended many times also ,I still come to the Mosque and Im sitting alone in a corner there ,coz everybody are by groups ,noone will even ask what's my name.
But still we should not be upset and have the attitude towards all the muslims .Not everybody the same .Sometimes we have to go forward first .

We converts espessialy ,instead of blaming others and getting angry just come and talk to your fellow muslims and we have to look at our own behavior also...(Im not talking about you brother nyerecareem )Im mentioning other posts
salam aleikum