isnt better to use the non-muslim instead kuffar

Islam!!yay

when i was very young everytime i hear people talking about kuffars i always thought they meant the people who wanted to kill the prophet(PBUH)...but they werent talking about that kufffars they were talking about christians jews and hindus and all..

nearly every thread in TTI when talking about christians or jews or even atheists they use kuffar .....but i think the word non-muslim is a better word to use for non-muslims

A very young innocent christian or jewish girl what do u prefer to call her a kuffara or non-muslim

So do u agree that non-muslim is a better word to use ??

looking forward for replys

M

Moadeeb

Well,

My own opinion is that as long as you know that they are unbelievers "kuffar" then you can call them whatever you like. But if the topic under discussion was about belief then the word "kuffar" is a technical word in this case and is not an insult. If we use the word "non-muslim" between new muslims that might cause confusion since some might think that non-muslims are also believers, they are just not muslims. I think you can use the word unbelievers, if you don't like kuffar. Anyway, the word unbeliever is the English translation of the Arabic word "kuffar".

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

i do!
cuz Allah is the only one who knows what lies in the heart
and some of them might have Iman in Him (swt) but they don't follow the True Path to Allah (i.e. Islam) due to their ignorance and due to Allah's will for them to be that way..
and the fact that we have men and women who have reverted..are reverting..or might revert (inshallah) amongst the jews..the christians and the hindus (along with other religions)..gives me another reason to stay away from that word..
If someone is not a muslim..
that is Allah's will..and He (swt) bestows guidance upon whom He wills..and it is one of His many divine wisdoms that though many are exposed to Islam..they do not become followers of Islam
those who plain out resent belief..and plain out blasphemies..are the kafirs..who to me..deserve words harsher and bigger words than that one!

:wasalam:

Munaqaba23

Assalamu alaikum

I don't support the idea that "kafir/kuffar" would be a bad word. It is a word used by ALLAH subhanahu wa ta'ala in the Holy Qur'an.
But, we must be careful that we don't call all non-muslims kuffaar. When I speak about christians, jews, hindus etc all together, I use the word non-muslims. But, if I mean just atheists, the I use the word kuffaar.

M

Moadeeb

i do!
cuz Allah is the only one who knows what lies in the heart
and some of them might have Iman in Him (swt) but they don't follow the True Path to Allah (i.e. Islam) due to their ignorance and due to Allah's will for them to be that way..
and the fact that we have men and women who have reverted..are reverting..or might revert (inshallah) amongst the jews..the christians and the hindus (along with other religions)..gives me another reason to stay away from that word..
If someone is not a muslim..
that is Allah's will..and He (swt) bestows guidance upon whom He wills..and it is one of His many divine wisdoms that though many are exposed to Islam..they do not become followers of Islam
those who plain out resent belief..and plain out blasphemies..are the kafirs..who to me..deserve words harsher and bigger words than that one!

Sister,

Surely Allah knows what's inside each of us. Actually when Islam describes one as a "Kafir" it means that he is "not a believer" of Islam and so the word still holds. It's not an insult, we ourselves are considered "kuffar" for them because we are "not believers" of whatever religion they follow. Remember Prophet Ibrahim and his followers said that they are "kuffar" regarding what their people were worshipping in [60:4] ( A good example has been set for you by Abraham and those with him. They said to their people, "We disown you and the idols that you worship besides GOD. We denounce you, and you will see nothing from us except animosity and hatred until you believe in GOD ALONE." However, a mistake was committed by Abraham when he said to his father, "I will pray for your forgiveness, but I possess no power to protect you from GOD." "Our Lord, we trust in You, and submit to You; to You is the final destiny). The distinction between believers and unbelievers(kuffar) is needed in Islam since Sharia laws that have to do with marriage and inheritance depend on that distinction. So, the distinction is not there just to insult, it is needed in real life situations that have to do with marriage, inheritance and may be other issues.

Salam

Moadeeb

Well technically kaafir means a non-believer and it's not an insult, and when you actually saying non-muslim you still mean a non-believer of Islam right? It's pretty much the same thing. It depends on how you veiw the word.i guess..I seriously dont know why people perceive it to be an insult or something cuz it's not..

when i was very young everytime i hear people talking about kuffars i always thought they meant the people who wanted to kill the prophet(PBUH)...but they werent talking about that kufffars they were talking about christians jews and hindus and all..

nearly every thread in TTI when talking about christians or jews or even atheists they use kuffar .....but i think the word non-muslim is a better word to use for non-muslims

A very young innocent christian or jewish girl what do u prefer to call her a kuffara or non-muslim

So do u agree that non-muslim is a better word to use ??

looking forward for replys

BrotherZak

SIMPLE PUT THE WORD KUFAR MEANT TO REJECT WHEN THE CALL OF ISLAM HAS COME TO YOU. PROPHET MOHAMMED(PBUH) USED THE WORD KUFAR TO THE PAGANS HE LIVED AMONG, WHEN THEY REJECTED HIS MESSAGE. ITS BETTER TO CALL THEM INSTEAD NON-MUSLIM AS OPPOSED TO KUFAR BECAUSE DID THEY LITERARY REJECT THE MESSAGE OF ISLAM?

Mai moslemah

The word Kaffir mean the one who cover something...this word have been used also in the Quran about farmers because they put seeds on the ground and cover it by soil, so how can we know if they are kafir or not just because they are not Muslims, maybe Islam never presented to them truely so they are not kaffir..Actully guys you do not meet people at work and tell them "Good morning kaffir" Jews and Christian should be respected in Islam, prophet Muhammad said who ever hurt a dhimmi he hurted me, be gentle with them because it is much more effective way to bring them to Islam.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
The word Kaffir mean the one who cover something...this word have been used also in the Quran about farmers because they put seeds on the ground and cover it by soil, so how can we know if they are kafir or not just because they are not Muslims, maybe Islam never presented to them truely so they are not kaffir..Actully guys you do not meet people at work and tell them "Good morning kaffir" Jews and Christian should be respected in Islam, prophet Muhammad said who ever hurt a dhimmi he hurted me, be gentle with them because it is much more effective way to bring them to Islam.

Allah Bless You Sister,
giving that meaning of the word kaffir in Arabic helps..and the translation *non-believer(s)* for kafir or kuffar is skewed a bit..since kafir would literaly mean *someone who blasphemies* in Arabic..

and it is used specifically for that action..like if someone says or does something insulting to Allah (swt) or the prophet (pbuh) or Islam..people would say *he/she had committed kufr*..even if they're muslim!..
see how that wouldn't make sense if we were to use the translation *non-believer*?

anyway..that ties to my point earlier..*someone who plain out blasphemies deserves the title kafir*..but not all jews and christians are like that..many of them love God..acknowledge Him..and worship Him..of course their worship and views are distorted..but still..they have *belief in the divine* in one way or another (they're not like atheists..like one sister mentioned!)

..and when considering that when it comes to the Quraishis..you'll see that the definition fits their situation too..because they *rejected..insulted..and fought against* the message of Allah and His prophet (pbuh) inwardly and most certainly outwardly both verbally and physically..

so the word can't be used for *everyone*..cuz even in the Qura'an it is not mentioned except for specific instances and specific people

and sister mai..can you please tell me where the hadith you quoted comes from?..it sounds so familiar..i have read it somewhere else..and i would like to know where it's from (i.e. bukhari..muslim..etc.)

Mai moslemah

salam sis

Kaffir come from the root kafara which mean to cover .. But it is also used for those who rebelle against Allah or deny his blessing or those who know the truth but cover it.

Regarding where i got the hadith from, I have read it before in Islamic books in Arabic as well as i heard it from scholars, so i do not know exactly the authority, anyway I found this for you , hope it help

“He who unfairly treats a non-Muslim who keeps a peace treaty with Muslims, or undermines his rights, or burdens him beyond his capacity, or takes something from him without his consent; then I am his opponent on the Day of Judgment” (Abu Dawud and Al-Bayhaqi). He (peace and blessings be upon him) is also reported to have said, “He who harms a non-Muslim who keeps a peace treaty with Muslims has harmed me, and he who harms me has harmed Allah” (At-Tabarani in Al-Awsat with a good chain of transmission).

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

i am very careful in regards to using the term kuffar. there are tons and tons of people that simply don't know about islam. prophets, and religion in general. therefore their ignorance really doesn't label them as a kaffir. however people that outright deny ALLAH SWT, muhammad pbuh, angels, the scripture etc. they are kuffar because they clearly rejected the truth that was so plainly brought to them. they are the true kaffirun. the regular non muslims have the potential to one day embrace islam. many of the people on this site were once living the life of the kafirun, and alhamdulillah look at us today. we are on the right path.