Schoolgirl Wins Spain Hijab Battle

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member

Satellite

MADRID — A Muslim girl has won a battle to be allowed back to her Spanish school with her hijab after a regional government quashed a "discriminatory" ban on the headscarf.
"She went back to school today," Noana Alharami, the mother of eight-year-old Shaima Saidani, told Reuters by telephone on Tuesday, October 2.

"It's all been resolved, thank God it's over."

The girl was suspended from her Joan Puigbert-Annexa Junior School in Girona city, northeast Spain, a week ago after refusing to take off her hijab.

The school originally wrote to the girl's parents to protest the hijab but family replied that she covered her hair out of her own freewill with no pressures.

The education department of Catalonia's regional government overruled the public school's decision and ordered that Saidani join her classes while wearing her hijab.

It insisted that the Spanish state respects all religions and allows Muslims to wear the hijab.

Spain has a Muslim minority of about 800,000 people out of a total population of 40 million.

The southern European country has recognized Islam through the law of religious freedom issued in July 1967.

Discriminatory

The public school had claimed that the girl could not wear hijab in class for an internal rule against discrimination among students.

But the regional government's ruling countered that banning Saidani from wearing the hijab would be discriminatory.

Education officials said the girl's right to education was more important than the school's regulations, and that tolerance should be applied.

The girl's mother said the family would have been prepared to move back to their homeland Morocco if the daughter had not been allowed back to school with her hijab.

Saidani was already forced to change her school last year after students at the old school pulled off her hijab, Alharami recalled.

Hijab, which is an obligatory code of dress in Islam, has been thrust into the limelight since France banned it from public schools and institutions in 2004.

The veil phobia swiftly spread to other countries, like Germany, where governments followed the French lead.

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
:salam2:

:jazaak:

This makes me happy to read that she will be able to wear her hijab :)
May Allah swt make it easy for her and the rest of the other Muslimahs who are told they can't wear hijab. Ameen

:wasalam:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

Satellite

MADRID — A Muslim girl has won a battle to be allowed back to her Spanish school with her hijab after a regional government quashed a "discriminatory" ban on the headscarf.
"She went back to school today," Noana Alharami, the mother of eight-year-old Shaima Saidani, told Reuters by telephone on Tuesday, October 2.

"It's all been resolved, thank God it's over."

The girl was suspended from her Joan Puigbert-Annexa Junior School in Girona city, northeast Spain, a week ago after refusing to take off her hijab.

The school originally wrote to the girl's parents to protest the hijab but family replied that she covered her hair out of her own freewill with no pressures.

The education department of Catalonia's regional government overruled the public school's decision and ordered that Saidani join her classes while wearing her hijab.

It insisted that the Spanish state respects all religions and allows Muslims to wear the hijab.

Spain has a Muslim minority of about 800,000 people out of a total population of 40 million.

The southern European country has recognized Islam through the law of religious freedom issued in July 1967.

Discriminatory

The public school had claimed that the girl could not wear hijab in class for an internal rule against discrimination among students.

But the regional government's ruling countered that banning Saidani from wearing the hijab would be discriminatory.

Education officials said the girl's right to education was more important than the school's regulations, and that tolerance should be applied.

The girl's mother said the family would have been prepared to move back to their homeland Morocco if the daughter had not been allowed back to school with her hijab.

Saidani was already forced to change her school last year after students at the old school pulled off her hijab, Alharami recalled.

Hijab, which is an obligatory code of dress in Islam, has been thrust into the limelight since France banned it from public schools and institutions in 2004.

The veil phobia swiftly spread to other countries, like Germany, where governments followed the French lead.

MASHALLAH!..I pray that everyone gets this high of a devotion for the obligations of our deen..
I feel so proud to have such muslim mothers..fathers..sons..and daughters when I read stories of this sort..
May Allah keep them under His protection and guidance!

Jazaki Allah Khair for posting this sister..it put a smile upon my face :hijabi:

B.Yassine

Allah Grants Help and Victory to Followers of the True Deen

A lot of people think that followers of the True Religion are humiliated, subdued and always defeated, unlike those who follow other paths. So they do not have certainty in Allah's promise of victory for His religion and His servants. Rather, even if they don't say it, they think that this promise is either particular to a specific group, or to a specific time, or they link it to Allah's will (not related to any rules that Allah set in His creation).

This (attitude and understanding) is due to absence of certainty in the Promise of Allah, the Most High, and due to a poor understanding of His Book.

Allah subhanahu has explained in His Book that He is the Helper of believers in this world and the next.

He said, the Most High, "Indeed We will support Our messengers and those who believe during the life of this world and on the Day when the witnesses will stand." [Ghafir 40:51]

"And whoever is an ally of Allah and His Messenger and those who have believed - indeed, the party of Allah - they will be the predominant." [al-Ma'idah 5:56]

"Indeed, the ones who oppose Allah and His Messenger - those will be among the most humbled. Allah has written [i.e. decreed], 'I will surely overcome, I and My messengers.' Indeed, Allah is Powerful and Exalted in Might." [al-Mujadilah 58:20-21]

There are many such verses in the Qur'an.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
Its just so unfair to ban the girl from studies ,for what for simple cloth on her head.They call scarf extreme ,but its acceptable for them ppl with red and blue colored hair and all in tatoo and piersing.And she is just little girl .Is she gonna hurt someone ,by wearing this?
so redeculous
wasalam

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
salam aleikum
Its just so unfair to ban the girl from studies ,for what for simple cloth on her head.They call scarf extreme ,but its acceptable for them ppl with red and blue colored hair and all in tatoo and piersing.And she is just little girl .Is she gonna hurt someone ,by wearing this?
so redeculous
wasalam

I agree. My mom (non muslim) holds these grudges against Muslim women and headscarves but 2 months ago I was walking through the Catholic hospital with her and a nun walked by and my mom was all smiles at her and gave her a warm hello...I am sorry but what is the difference?

God forbid I want a person to talk to me and see the real me instead of judging me on what style of jeans/shirt/shoes/ and hairstyle I have. Our society today is so self absorbed into materialistic objects to identify themselves with. As Muslims we are trying to be the exact opposite. We try to strip away these earthly desires.

Oh well only so much explaining I can do to people..just goes in one ear and out the other...

Munaqaba23

Al-hamdu lillahi rabbil 'alamin.

May Allah bless this little hijabi sister and keep her on the Sirat ul-Mustaqiim. Amin.

Imad

Allahu akbar, Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar