Are woman allowed to go mosques and pray?

Bilal Ahmed

Islam my way of life
Asalaam Alaykum,

I heard some people saying that woman are not allowed to go mosques and pray. As far as i know myself is that they are allowed.

Someone said an hadith saying that Ai'sha (RA) saying that after the prophet (saw) past away the woman's were not allowed to go mosque. Has anyone else heard a hadith like this?

Can anyone please please find any hadiths quoting if they can go or not. it will really help alot.

Thanks

uskupi

assalam alaikum...that hadith wich has been transmited from our Noble Mother Aisha radiallahu anha is not forbiding woman to go to the mosque ,but rather she dislikes for them to attend mosques.In Sahihul-Buhari Aisha radiallahu anha said:-If resullulah sallallahu alaihi we salam were alive he would have banned the woman to attend mosques due to this behaviour of some woman:- so this is her opinion and not a hadith ...assalam alaikum

uskupi

assalam alaikum ...Abdullah ibn Omar r.a has said:-I heard the Messenger of Allah salallahu alaihi we salam say;-- DO NOT PREVENT YOU'R WOMAN FROM GOING TO THE MOSQUE IF THEY ASK YOU'R PERMISSION--;Bilaal ibn Abdullah said; by Allah we will prevent them"( ibn omar ) turned to him saying:- i tell you the Messenger of Allah salallahu alaihi we salam said ,and you say' by Allah we will prevent them...(this was reported by Muslim 667)

muharram23

Staff member
Question:
Here in my country (Surinam, South America), the Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa‘ah forbid women to go to the mosque, saying that the first Imaam (Imaam Abu Haneefah) learned to do what pleases the Holy Prophet SAWS (peace be upon him), and he had said once that it is better for the women to perform prayer at home, because there is more sawaab (reward) in that, and as we come here to earn sawaab, it is better to do this.

Is it right to forbid women to go to the mosque? If so, where in the Holy Qur’aan or the ahaadeeth can I find this?

Answer:

Praise be to Allah.

There is no doubt that a woman’s prayer in her house is better for her than praying in the mosque, as is indicated by the Sunnah of the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him). He said: "Do not prevent your women from going to the mosque, even though their houses are better for them." (Reported by Abu Dawud in al-Sunan, Baab maa jaa’a fee khurooj al-nisaa’ ilaa’l-masjid: Baab al-tashdeed fee dhaalik. See also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 7458).

Whenever a woman prays in a place that is more private and more hidden, that is better for her, as the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) said: "A woman’s prayer in her house is better than her prayer in her courtyard, and her prayer in her bedroom is better than her prayer in her house." (Reported by Abu Dawud in al-Sunan, Baab maa jaa’a fee khurooj al-nisaa’ ilaa’l-masjid. See also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 3833).

Umm Humayd, the wife of Abu Humayd al-Saa‘idi reported that she came to the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) and said: "O Messenger of Allaah, I love to pray with you." He said: "I know that you love to pray with me, but praying in your house is better for you than praying in your courtyard, and praying in your courtyard is better for you than praying in the mosque of your people, and praying in the mosque of your people is better for you than praying in my mosque." So she ordered that a prayer-place be built for her in the furthest and darkest part of her house, and she always prayed there until she met Allaah (i.e., until she died). (Reported by Imaam Ahmad; the men of its isnaad are thiqaat (trustworthy)).

But the fact that praying at home is preferable does not mean that that women are not permitted to go to the mosque, as is clear from the following hadeeth:
From ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar, who said: "I heard the Messenger of Allaah SAWS (peace be upon him) say: ‘Do not prevent your women from going to the mosque if they ask your permission.’" Bilaal ibn ‘Abdullah said, "By Allaah, we will prevent them." (Ibn ‘Umar) turned to him and told him off in an unprecedented fashion, saying: "I tell you what the Messenger of Allaah (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) said, and you say ‘By Allaah, we will prevent them’!!" (reported by Muslim, 667).

But there are conditions attached to the permission for women to go to the mosque, as follows:
(1) She should wear complete hijaab.
(2) She should not go out wearing perfume.
(3) She should have the permission of her husband.

Her going out should not involve any other kind of prohibited acts, such as being alone in a car with a non-mahram driver. If a woman does something wrong like that, her husband or guardian has the right to stop her; in fact it is his duty to do so. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

:salam2: Women are not prevented from going to the masjid period. This tradition started after the prophet died. In many places in the muslim world traditions have taken over. And many people cannot seperate tradition from the pure teachings of muhammad SAW. If we take a deep look at what was practised in the life of muhammad SAW then we will see there was no walls or curtains seperating men from women. Except in one case for the wives of muhammad SAW.For the reason that to muslim they are mothers and they should not be looked except with a pure heart. Thats why they were seperated. Unfortunatly many of the scholors and later on many of the masses have taken what was for the wives of the prophet our mothers and applyed it to all muslim women. And thus we should not talk to them except from behind a curtain or a wall. And if you go and look into history and if you go and look into the sayings of muhammad SAW and the words of the Quran. It is very clear that this is a specific case for the mothers of the believers but not for everyone else. There are lots of hadith that barriers did not exist during the time of the prophet. For example some men had clothes so short that the prophet asked the women to delay there rising from prostration. this gave men enough time to pull there shirts down. If a woman had trouble hearing in the mosque it was no big deal to ask a man to repeat what was said.Infact woman could even speak up in the masjid. Omar RA the second caliph tried to limit the maher which is a monatary gift which man gives to a woman before marriage. A woman stood up and challanged Omar RA with a verse from the Quran

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
:salam2:

Question:
In one of the mosques there is a partition between men and women. A dispute has arisen as to how important this partition is. Some think that there is no need for it, because at the time of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) there was no partition; others insist on having it. The resulting argument may lead those who think there should be no partition to stop praying in the mosque, despite the fact that removing the partition could lead to some degree of mixing or looking at the opposite sex when leaving the mosque, because some of the men are not strongly committed in their religion. Should we insist on keeping the partition even though some people may stop praying in the mosque, or should we remove it although this may lead to people looking at the opposite sex?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.
Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen answered this question as follows:
The partition should stay. The fact that there was no partition at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was either because there was no need for it or because there was a reason why they could not have a partition. With regard to the former, the Sahaabah, may Allaah be pleased with them, had such strong faith in Allaah that they would not look at women; with regard to the latter, the financial situation of the Sahaabah, as we know, especially before the conquests, was one of hardship, and they could not afford to put a partition between themselves and the women. Having understood this, we should next look at which is further removed from fitnah, having a partition or not having it? Everyone will agree that having the partition is less likely to cause fitnah. If that is the case, then whatever is less likely to cause fitnah is what should be done. If you say, “If we insist on keeping it, those who want to remove it will stay away from the mosque,” our response is that if they stay away, they are doing wrong. They have no excuse for failing to pray in jamaa’ah because of this partition being there. Having the partition there is not a sin such that they could say, “We are not coming to be witnesses to sin.” If they stay away, they are committing sin by failing to attend prayers in congregation.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen

lions_den1

Ahle Sunnah wal Jama
Husband

If the husband has missed his salah at the masjid for what ever valid reason then he should lead his wife in salah (in jama', congragation). This can also count towards teaching the wife the Quran and tajweed.

It is a bit strange for women to make it a habit to pray in the masjid, does it make sense to make effort to leave a place where you are rewarded more and pray in a place where you are rewarded less?

Can you imagin a man who walks home away from the masjid to pray his salah at home and get 25-27 times less reward?

Allah Knows Best

Kazim Razvi

I have read the above responses very closely and strongly believe that there is no bar on women to go to masjid. As far as fitnah is concerned. I have a question didnt rape occured at that time? Were there no hypocrites in the masjid at that time?

Anyone who says woman should not be allowed to masjid are clearly making a statement against our Prophet. Women have a right to go to masjid and no one should take this away from them. Rather then saying woman are creating fitnah, men who have less control over themselves should be kicked out of the masjid for disobeying Allah and not controlling their eyes.

The next question is separate places for man and woman in the masjid. If Prophet didn't do this, then who are we to put barriers in. Its unfortunate to say that cultures have taken over Islamic principles, which should be corrected as soon as possible.

There are so many social issues that can be solved if women of the community go and attend masjid. The sisterhood circle could flourish, a woman could ask her personal questions with other learned woman. It could also serve as marriage link with groom mother meeting the mother of the bride. A woman in need could ask for help to her sisters in the masjid.

Last but not least I am posting this link which really accumulates what I have just jotted down.

Video Removed

:salam2: sister ukti 1. You said whatever causes less fitna should be done. But dont you also think that the women need to pray properly behind the imam. I have been to masjid. Where there has been barrier and soo many times the sisters are making mistakes cause they cant see through. I agree that a woman does not need to sit with a man and become his best buddy but if you dont pray right that is really bad.And i go to the masjid a lot and i have seen the mistakes being done by sisters.For me if there is no barrier or there is half barrier right after the prayer is over turn around and sit facing your back.And to brother lions den the sawab you are talking about is that is the woman is leaving her wifely duties and going to the masjid. Not every woman falls in that catagory.

uskupi

assalam alaikum ...the main reason for the woman to attend the mosque has social nature ,they meet with their friends and have womans issue ,exchange opinions ...they simpley have their world as for the sallah it is clear that for them is pure facultative (optional) and not faridhatun(fard) if it were fard for them ,than there will be no reason to ask permission from man(spousse), ... assalam alaikum

msmoorad

mommys boy
as salaamu alaikum

Re: Women's sections in our mosques
salaams to all
in the time of Rasulullah sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam,females were permitted but not commanded to attend salaah in the musjid. this permission was granted provided certain conditions were fulfilled.
-women were always reminded that the innermost corner of the house was the best place for the salaah of a woman (Bukhaari)
-women were not allowed to apply perfume/fragrance when attending the musjid.
-they had to dress shabbily & in simple unimpressive clothing.
-they had to wear the jilbaab or cloak that covered the entire body from head to toe.
-they had to remain aloof from menfolk enroute to the musjid and when entering & exiting the musjid.
-the imam had to pause after the salaah to allow females time to leave the musjid before the men.

these conditions can be found at different places in the books of Bukhaari, Muslim, Tirmidhi, Abu Dawood & Nasaai.

Nowadays, observation & experience has shown that none of these conditions are applied when women attend the musjid, not even a single one! On this basis, the ulama have ruled, not today, but centuries ago, that females are generally not allowed to attend the musjid for salaah.

then, there is this bit that i found- i have posted it once before but since its very relevant, im posting it again:
Mrs Farooq
Of course women should be allowed to pray in the Masjid,but I can understand why some Masjids do not have this provision.
Just like women have a right to pray there,they have some duties as well,which most sisters do not realise.They don’t dress properly ie, in loose fitting and properly covered clothing. They apply strong perfumes which is not allowed. Younger sisters (even some older ones) are not able to control their eyes/gazes in the parking lot and when entering/leaving the masjid. i have heard some young sisters making comments about certain boys they have seen etc. Many sisters sit wherever they feel like,not giving any heed to the Saff(row).Most of the sisters don’t know how to stand in a row or how to join the Jama’a if they come late.They bring children and leave them to run around and make noise,disturbing other sisters,while they themselves pray. many times these children have food/candy etc in their hands and they make a mess all over the sisters section. Some of these children cry all a lot and this itself is quite disturbing. After they finish their Salah,these sisters sit and talk so loudly,that even announcements on the microphone can’t be heard,so you can imagine what a tough time other sisters have in concentrating in their Salah. Islam teaches us that women should not draw attention towards themselves but many sisters seem to come to the masjid for exactly this reason. Their dressing, strong perfume, loud voices and behaviour all point towards this.
These are a few of my personal observations during Friday prayers and in Taraweeh, some might not like them but these are all true.Just like all public places,there are etiquettes to be followed in the Masjid and in praying in congregation,otherwise one becomes a cause of distracting others. Rasulullah (SAW) has give permission for women to pray in the masjid but he has also said that its better/best for them to pray in a corner of their room. if we sisters insist on coming to the masjd, i request all who know the proper etiquettes for the masjid and for sisters praying in congregation(jama’a),to have them written down clearly, and boldly displayed in the sisters’ area of their Masjid. The sisters should also be reminded regularly about observing the etiquettes in the proper way.Please pass this on to every masjid as you will be doing a big favor to many people.
Jazakumullahu khair.May Allah give all of us the wisdom to follow our deen as it should be followed,aameen.

and Allah ta'ala knows best.
jazakallah

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
As far as I am aware women can go to mosque.

~~~~~~~~~
:bismillah:

:bismillah:

And who is more unjust than him who prevents the Masjids of Allah from being remembered Allah swt Name in them, and strives in their desolation? As for these, it is not for them that they should enter them except in fear. For them is disgrace in this world, and for them in the Hereafter is a severe punishment.
~Al Baqarah Verse 2:114

( It is not justified as to prohibit a person using a mosque to a lot remembrance to Allah swt and prayer. Al Baqarah 114)

As for woman in correct dress code is advice
(cover and decent)
and to be clean as
to respect the mosque a worship place.

~May Allah swt help and guide us~Amin!

Take care!
~Wassalam.