Bethlehem Ghetto

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Emily Jacir's "A Photo Essay of the Bethlehem Ghetto
umkahlil

pic.php

October 13, 2007

emily3

In order to enter Bethlehem, we had to make a left and get off the Jerusalem-Hebron Road. Here we are stopped at the first checkpoint and we are looking ahead. Soldiers check our passports. (Emily Jacir)

emily2

Standing in front of the wall and looking to the right I saw the wall criss-crossing across the landscape and cutting Bethlehem off from her agricultural lands. (Emily Jacir)

emily1

I could not continue on the historical road which connects Jerusalem, Bethlehem and Hebron (bus number 23's route) because the wall chopped it off here. (Emily Jacir

--------------

He was shocked by what he was told about conditions in Hebron and diplomats say he was genuinely taken aback by his trip to the West Bank sector of the Jordan Valley – where Palestinians are allowed to dig wells only a third as deep as Israelis – at the exploitation of resources by the rich Jewish agricultural settlements at the expense of closed in Palestinian farmers. Daniel Macintyre on Tony Blair in "Blair admits he is shocked by discrimination in the West Bank."

emily4

After passing through the first checkpoint, we made a right and we were able to enter Bethlehem through the large gate. You can see a tourist bus on its way out exiting the city. Palestinian ID holders cannot enter or exit from here. (Emily Jacir)

emily5

The Israeli Ministry of Tourism hung up a poster about "peace" on the wall which has turned the city of Bethlehem into a ghetto. (Emily Jacir)

emily6

Once inside Bethlehem, I made a right to get back to the Jerusalem-Hebron road. (Emily Jacir)

emily7

We got lost and ended up in what seemed like an endless maze of wall. (Emily Jacir)

emily8

Everywhere I looked I saw the wall, in all directions. Here we got out of the car and had to walk. I wanted to get to the Jerusaelm-Hebron Road and examine the area around Rachel's Tomb and we couldn't drive since the road was blocked, chopped and split in several places. (Emily Jacir)

emily9

This is Clair Anastas' house. It is surrounded by all three sides by the wall. (Emily Jacir)

emily10

Back on the Jerusalem-Hebron Road, businesses have shut down as the wall has completely isolated them. There is no road here any longer -- it is more like an alleyway -- the rest of the formerly wide road is now on the other side of the wall, part of Rachel's Tomb. (Emily Jacir)

emily11

Facing the direction of Hebron, the Rachel's Tomb complex on the right behind the wall. The road to the left of the house leads to Manger Square. Rachel's Tomb and the surrounding area which they have enclosed behind the wall is all Bethlehem's land. In September 2006 the Israeli government officially annexed it as part of Jerusalem. (Emily Jacir)

emily12

This is the view from the north side of Rachel's Tomb, and the Lama Brothers souvenir shop cut off from the rest of Bethlehem. (Emily Jacir)

http://www.uruknet.info/?p=m37173&hd=&size=1&l=e

Kayote

Salam

This is the state of us muslims when we are so ignorant and just turn our back towards the humiliating condition that are so obvious in Palestine and Chechnia.

Salam

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

Astaghfirullaah I never knew about these walls! :astag: I just realized how ignorant I am about Israel. Yikes! I don't think I can breathe in those places in ze pictures. It's like everywere you go, you see those walls :eek: Man, these Jews are scary. :girl3:

Asalaamalikum,

Only those that are inhuman and are heartless can do such a thing. You'll never see these pics on CNN or Fox because we all know who runs it. The Zionists will pay for their price in the after life, inshallah.

BGfromGB

The visit to Israel.

Asalaamalikum,

Only those that are inhuman and are heartless can do such a thing. You'll never see these pics on CNN or Fox because we all know who runs it. The Zionists will pay for their price in the after life, inshallah.
Interesting!! I have made a booking to go and visit the Holy land. I would love to go to Gaza strip and get first hand knowledge of exactly what is going on there. Sadly I will not be going there as I have a British passport and the thought of being kidnapped and paraded (and possibly run the risk of being slain on AlJazeera) by the authorities is far, far too risky. My family don't deserve to be fatherless.

The question is this. If the Israelies welcome me as a tourist, why can't Palestine do the same? Maybe this is why CNN or FOX don't show these pics, is because they are not prepared to put their lives at risk. They are Americans and are hated. Even more so than the likes of me. That is the tragedy of the Middle east. If we could be guaranteed of a safe passage as tourists to Palestine by the Hamas Govt., then possibly the free world would get a better perspective of just how evil Zionism is.

A

abdul ghaleeb

Interesting!! I have made a booking to go and visit the Holy land. I would love to go to Gaza strip and get first hand knowledge of exactly what is going on there. Sadly I will not be going there as I have a British passport and the thought of being kidnapped and paraded (and possibly run the risk of being slain on AlJazeera) by the authorities is far, far too risky. My family don't deserve to be fatherless.

The question is this. If the Israelies welcome me as a tourist, why can't Palestine do the same? Maybe this is why CNN or FOX don't show these pics, is because they are not prepared to put their lives at risk. They are Americans and are hated. Even more so than the likes of me. That is the tragedy of the Middle east. If we could be guaranteed of a safe passage as tourists to Palestine by the Hamas Govt., then possibly the free world would get a better perspective of just how evil Zionism is.

because they see all westerners as enemies and supporters of isra'el

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
The question is this. If the Israelies welcome me as a tourist, why can't Palestine do the same?

You can travel to the West Bank and get first hand information for example how long time you need to wait at each checkpoints of there. Controlled by israeli soldiers of course. As you are westerner it is likely they will not beat you as they like to do with so many palestinians.

But to Gaza you can´t now travel, just same what is your passport, because Israel has closed all the borders in there. If borders would to be open, traveling to Gaza would not be any problem at all; those kidnappings of foreigners are now history, they stopped when Hamas took power in there and kicked Fatah and they "security" forces out.

Then when Palestinians will get right to controll they own borders, you are the most :SMILY206: to visit to Gaza as a tourist.

blue streak

:salam2:
The zionists can build all the walls they want and amass all the weapons, but how long will they be able to sustain there illegally stolen land. Do they really think that this will give them longevity or security? An oppressive nation will never endure nor survive. Its only a matter of time until there humiliation will turn on them and they will be the ones who are humiliated and defeated. Inshallah

One must feel like a monkey in a cage down there, wait a minute monkeys have more prestige than Muslims in that area...

Will def keep them in my dua's :(

:salam2:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member

Thats nonsense, I was there just a week ago and I saw first hand how the "Israelis" treat tourists. I went on my British passport, they kept me and many other people, some very eldelry waiting for over 6 hours. They kept me for 7 and half hours because I am Muslims.

Their arrogance, rudeness and racism is immeasurable! If you go via Jordan, you will have to cross the Allanby Bridge, there you will find many young Israelis working. Mostly, they are teenagers just finished school who are given job there by the government. They are in their late teens. They Shout and scream at the Palestinian people there. Most of the time they just use their hands and wave people into the line or tell them to sit using hand signals. At other times they simply make grunting sound.. or they scream and shout at them. They find this immense fun and smile at their colleagues or wink at their colleagues after they have given a big scream at a Palestinian woman who just happened to have stepped over the line too soon to have her papers checked.

Then, you will see Israeli soldiers carrying submachine guns walking right infront of a line of Palestinian men who were made to sit on the side. They were seated for no reason except for extra humiliation. They wait and wait to see someone crack so they can take them away and arrest them. - This is how it is.. and this is only the border, things are much worse at the checkpoints like Qalandiyah.

When I was at Qalandiyah I saw the Jewish soldiers point guns at women and kids and openly tell them to back away.

You know, it is Soooo obvious that none of this land belongs to these European, Russian, Ethiopian, Indian and American immigrants who call themselves Jews. They are occupiers, thieves, murderers and criminals.

They are Zionazis. I did not see anything different in their actions as the Nazis did. They humiliate all non-Jews, even if they are Christian Westerners. Although, it is not as bad as if you are Muslim or Palestinian. They will still make you wait and never smile or speak to you in a good manner. (Unless they know you are a Zionist and dont like Arabs/Muslims)

So, this idea that Palestinians wont welcome you is nonsense. What happened in Gaza was due to a crazy criminal family clan. The Vast majority of Palestinian people are really warm, welcoming and kind!!! I was so busy with my friends there, we are all like one family. The Palestinians are the nicest nicest people I have met !! Certainly more welcoming and kind than many of the neighbouring states there.

You will find the Muslims to be very considerate and kind. THey wont treat you bad, they certainly wont think that you are inferior.. That is what the Zionist Jews in ISrael will do !!

The people there have much patience, and for a Muslim to visit al Aqsa it also requires patience. But, nobody will tell you that this is not worth it. There is no Mosque on this planet like al Aqsa. it is sooo special and so beautiful. I went underneath masjid al Aqsa and saw the stones that were placed there over 3500 years ago by the Prophet Soloman and Prophet David. There are also places where the Prophet Muhammad led the prayer for all Prophets on the night of his ascension to heaven (isra' wa miraj), as well as the many Ayah in Quran and Hadith of the Prophet Muhammad :saw: explaining its importance.

So, no Muslim will ever give this place up. And Allah will aid us and help us defeat the enemies of Islam. All of Palestine will inshaAllah be freed.

If you do want to go to Palestine, let me know and I will do my best to help you. I would not recommend going with a Jewish or Christian group as they will basically hide you and feed you strange stories. Go on your own.. or if you do go with a group, make sure you are good enough to walk through and meet all the different people.

I wouldnt recommend Gaza because it is closed to everyone. People in Gaza can not leave, if they do they will be arrested or shot. Gaza is closed off to the outside world.

Even in the West Bank, Palestinians have no freedom of movement. Many people in Ramallah can not go to Jerusalem, they certainly can not pray in the al Aqsa Mosque. Al Aqsa Mosque is closed to all Palestinian except those with residency in Jerusalem or those who have foreign passports, who can travel as tourist.

MashaAllah, our brothers and sisters there are Brave, patient, courageous, with big hearts .. big enough even to say they are willing to share Jerusalem with other faiths!!! The Jews who occupy and take their land on the other hand are cowards who build big walls and hide in tanks and behind guns. THey dont want to share anything, they want to take and keep taking.