Muslim Teen In Fla. Barred From Playing Soccer Over Head Scarf

Shannonx

:salam2:

PALM HARBOR, Fla. -- A Muslim teenager was forced to sit out a youth soccer tournament after a referee ruled the girl's head scarf was not part of her uniform and violated game rules.

Iman Khalil was forced to sit out the game Saturday even though parents, her teammates and even opposing players urged the referee to let her play.

The referee, Steve Richardson, stood by his decision after other officials checked with the United Soccer Association and were told Iman could play the second half wearing the scarf, according to Hernando Heat assistant coach Mike Duke.

A message left by The Associated Press for a Steve Richardson listed on the Florida State Referees Association web site was not immediately returned Sunday.

The 15-year-old said that her white-and-blue head scarf has never been an issue in the two years she has played competitively for the team.

"I don't think it should be a problem that I wear it," Iman told The Tampa Tribune.

United Soccer Association executive board president Frank Villaizan said Sunday he regretted Iman was not allowed to take part in the Heat's 4-0 victory.

Villaizan said the rule allows players to wear any religious article as long as it isn't something that would cause injury. He said he reminded the people who assign game referees about the rule.

Iman was on the field Sunday for the team's game, Villaizan said, adding that he had spoken with her mother and was at the field.

"I'm sure it won't happen again," he said.

Villaizan said he did not know if Richardson exceeded his authority by refusing to allow Khalil to play the second half, referring that question to the Florida State Referees Association.

A message left with the association by the AP on Sunday was not immediately returned.

http://www.local6.com/news/14338152/detail.html

hmmm..never heard of some1 playin with a headscarf....i would read the rules book if i was the referee....but while playin soccer u wear shorts thats the weird part

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

I think that's just unfair. HOWEVER, if she was my daughter and she's reached adoloscence stage, I would not let her play out there where there are non-mahram men watching.

Shannonx

:salam2:
Yeah I agree with you. I was also thinking (and i'm not judging her, it's just an observation) that if she was wearing shorts, it kind of makes no sense for her to wear the headscarf, she should be covered fully.

Fardowsa

Simple Muslimah

I saw this on CNN over the weekend. The sister was dressed modest in my opinion....she was wearing shorts but she also wore some clothing underneath her shorts so you couldnt really see her skin and stuff. Anywho, I admire this sister for playing with her scarf...I just wish I had the courage to do wear my scarf when I played sports in h.s. Salaam

Jannah03

awww poor thing, i didnt play any sports in high school but wanted to. i did play when i was a preteen and i enjoyed every minute of it. i can understand her frustration with not playing especially since her team won.

dawahforever

This happend in Quebec too and the ref was a muslim! My daughter plays soccer with her hijab and has never had a problem..she doesn't wear shorts of course but track pants and a long shirt.

UmmOf3

This happend in Quebec too and the ref was a muslim! My daughter plays soccer with her hijab and has never had a problem..she doesn't wear shorts of course but track pants and a long shirt.
Yeah, my daughter is also alowed to play with trackpants instead of shorts. I have asked if this can continue, and they said ofcourse, the team is behind her 100%... She is not in hijab yet though, but she does not wear shorts.

My son too, I asked his handball-coach today about shorts, and she say he can wear it past the knee if he wants, or he can play with trackpants.