Virtual Reality & Virtual Muslims

William Abdullah Chappelle addressed an interesting topic. It is a good reminder to myself and inshallah for you as well. I undoubtly agreed with his statement:

Where Muslims respect Christians and Jews more than they respect their own Muslim brothers and sisters. We have to get away from that thinking, and that is until we get away from that thinking the unbelievers will keep us down.

Believers are urged to treat everyone with equal respect, not to have a different standard of conduct for people of other faiths until they have respect for their own community first.

Sura (5:51) - "O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people."

This does NOT mean that Muslims should not act friendly towards nonbelievers, but we have stand up and respect our own people before we respect them. Todays youth has grown more "Westernized," thus, taking nonbelievers as close friends and companions and disrepecting our own brothers and sisters. We need to change this mentality before we become reckless!
---------------------------------------------------------

Every tree is made up of wood. A tree is differentiated by its fruit, and people are differentiated by their piety.

kayleigh

I agree, somewhat, but just because you have non-Muslim friends doesn't mean you're disrespecting Muslims. There could be a lot of reasons...like, not getting along with Muslims your age, or there just not being many. Just because you share a religion doesn't make you best friends.

I think people read too much into a Muslim being friends with a non-Muslim. Doesn't mean there's ulterior motives or that it's meant to offend others...they're just friends. as long as Muslims aren't being poorly influenced but their non-Muslim friends, which is entirely possible.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
There are so many westernized and non practising muslims.Its harder to have friendship with them then with non muslims ,coz sometimes u can feel ashamed for what they doing .I gave up so many muslim friends for their behavior and ignorance to their deen
Its very sad but its true...sorry to be harsh

waaleikum salam

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
:salam2:

I probably spend equal time with my non Muslims friends and Muslims. I try to strive to be a positive influence on both sides of the spectrum :) I cannot just give up on speaking with non-Muslims then I would feel like I have this air of arrogance of "I am better than you are" syndrome :)

I hope by me socializing with both groups somehow I can keep both moving forward to a more spiritual side of life.

:wasalam:

kayleigh

salam aleikum
There are so many westernized and non practising muslims.Its harder to have friendship with them then with non muslims ,coz sometimes u can feel ashamed for what they doing .I gave up so many muslim friends for their behavior and ignorance to their deen

waaleikum salam

That is true, though. Some of the Muslim teens my age behave worse than any of my Christian/Sikh/Jewish/Wiccan/atheist friends. I think Muslims like that can have a greater influence too because you can find yourself justifying your wrong actions by them. It's easy to start saying, "Well, so and so does it and they're Muslim so it's not that bad if I do it..."

salam aleikum

waaleikum salam

ASA,

I understand some Muslims are not practicing, but don't you generally feel a slight ease when speaking to a Muslim than a non-Muslim? I think you would still have more interests and similarities with a non-practicing Muslim.

I use to have many non-Muslim friends, butI cut just about all of them. Alhamdulillah I came across some good pious brothers and even non-practicing Muslims. I could still feel the difference between a non-practicing Muslim than a non-Muslim. I still think that Allah swt is with those non-practicing Muslims because deep inside they still believe, they just never deeply reflected or came across a correct Muslim.

It's also not wise to judge a "non-practicing" Muslims. They might have good intentions and just need a little help.

And Allah Knows Best

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
LIke the great prophet Muhammad sallahu alahi wa salaam said you are the religion of your friends with that being said for most part I have cut off all non- muslims as friend, I am cordial to them but to call them my friend especially BEST FRIEND oooh never that.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

With Muslims there is an ease in the air. Often, I do not talk to many Muslims..because it is just good to be near them. I love Muslims. When I am lined up with Muslims to pray and I see the sisters of many nationalities bowing with me to Allah...hey at my age..I cry. I keep writing how I need to be contact with Muslims. You make a difference to me. I feel as if a little weight of the world is taken off my shoulders. With Muslims life just makes sense.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Salaam,

With Muslims there is an ease in the air. Often, I do not talk to many Muslims..because it is just good to be near them. I love Muslims. When I am lined up with Muslims to pray and I see the sisters of many nationalities bowing with me to Allah...hey at my age..I cry. I keep writing how I need to be contact with Muslims. You make a difference to me. I feel as if a little weight of the world is taken off my shoulders. With Muslims life just makes sense.

Thats soo true. I love to pray in congregation than alone. Islam gives a meaning to life

Linkgx1

Well, I really don't like hanging out with theme here in St. Louis.

Maybe its because my age (17) and there are a lot of Muslims in my school, but I'm too geeky to hang out/strict with them anyways. They smoke, go to parties, hang out wiht girls WAAAAAY too much, the works. The rest I don't see until the next Eid.

After that, the rest (most) are racist and don't like hanging out with black people. Don't know why, but its like that.

Honestly I feel more comfortable hanging out with some of my worldly friends than them.