huh!! Is it worth it...

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..
Isnt a bit interesting to calculate the number of years you've been sleeping and compare it with the number of years you've been praying the 5 obligatory prayers.. (You'll be shocked).. However, I am not the best in mathematics but I'll attempt to answer this question.. (I appreciate if anyone correct my mistakes)..

Lets say Mr.Ahmed is 60 years old, and reached puberty at the age of 15. (Thats 45 years of being accountable of his actions before Allah swt (Allahu wa'alam).. However, many people reach the age of puberty even earlier than that. Nevertheless, lets calculate.....

Sleeping

(per day) 8hours
(Per week) 56 hours (8X7days)
(per month) 224 hours (56X4)
(per year) 2688 hours (224X12)
(in 45 years) 120,960 hours (2688X45)

Praying

(per day) 25 mintues (5mintues X 5 prayer)
(per week) 2H/55 min (25X7 days)
(Per month) 7 hours (175minX4 weeks)
(Per year) 84 hours (7X12)
(in 45 years) 3780 hours (84x45)

So far Mr.Ahmed was sleeping for 120,960 hours in 45 years, from the age of 15 till he was 60 years old. And he was praying for 3780 hours in 45 years from the age of 15 till he was 60 years old. Right!

Lets find out how many hours in 1 year:

Number of hours per year:

(day) 24 hours
(week) 168 hours (24X7)
(month) 672 hours (168X4)
(year) 8064 hours (672X12)

There are 8064 hours a year (correct me if I am wrong).

The number of years Ahmed spent sleeping & praying:

Sleeping:

120960 / 8064 = 15
(No. hours sleeping) (No. of hours in a year) (No.of years sleeping)
in 45 years

Praying:

8064 / 3780 = 2.1333333333 (2 years)

(No.of hours in a year) (No.of hours praying (No.of years praying)
in 45 years)

Therefore, Ahmed (60 years old) was sleeping for 15 years, and praying the 5 obligatory prayers for only 2 years. Can you imagine adding your childhhod, schooling & employment for 15 years, & time wasted.. In addition, can you add the number of times that we missed prayers. Subhanallah..

Is this life worth it?... Why are we so attached to it?.. Is it not the time for us to realize that no matter how old we get, we aren't doing our best to please Allah (swt). Many youths believe that whenever they get older they will be in the striaght path, isnt the above result make us reconsider many things and truly aim for the hereafter, without negleting present life....

Inshallah we can compete in doing the good deeds, because personally I have done nothing yet...

May Allah (swt) protect us, bless us, and forgive our mistakes, because no matter what we do, are deeds isnt enough, but lets beg Allah (swt) for His mercy..

(Correct my calculations, coz I am the worst in maths)..

Wassalam Alykom..
progress.gif

ShaheedU

Extinct
wa alaikumassalaam,

Yeh Saif, that Mr.Ahmed is no good! i totally get your point.:D

nah, Jazakallaah for the reminder.

And i'll take your word for it on the maths...:SMILY129:

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
:salam2:

At first I was scared because numbers scare me, but I took my time and I read it. A very good thread indeed.

JazakAllah khair!

:wasalam:

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..

Jazakum Allah Khair sister..

I am sorry for the messed up calculations.. My table turned really bad after I posted the thread... Please read the other thread with the similar title please... ignore this one..

thanks

wassalam ALykom

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..

Moderators.. Is it possible to delete this post for me... As I posted similar thread with correct calculations....

wassalam Alykom..

farhopes

No God but Allah
Assalamo alikom

Your article reminded me of these beautiful verses which always cause me to feel how neglectful I am!

15 As to the Righteous, they will be in the midst of Gardens and Springs,
16 Taking joy in the things which their Lord gives them, because, before then, they lived a good life.
17 They were in the habit of sleeping but little by night,
18 And in the hour of early dawn, they (were found) praying for Forgiveness
Adh-Dhariyat, Chapter #51,

Salaam,

I checked your work quickly and it looks correct. Just advice you separate the Sleeping and Praying calculations under each of their respective headings. Separate the 2 and give more spaces and line them up so it'll make the reader see it by day, week, month, year, etc.

Great way to look at it from the "outside." Using this hypothetical example and assuming 8hrs avg of sleeping - so much of our life is dedicated to sleeping, some people even take naps on top of their normal sleep!

When you look at the life of successful people you notice they sleep less and educate themselves more. I think there is a strong correlation between success and less sleep.

Jazakallah khair for the reminder

wannabe_muttaqi

A MUSLIM BROTHER
ASAK, Assuming that you have done your math correct, all i can say is what will be our answer if these were the numbers on the day of judgement?

Also one point that i would like to make is, the night of Lail ul Qadr is 83 yrs and 4 months ( approximately, as they say...it might be even more, Allah knows the best) it would give us some solace.

JAK

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..
ASAK, Assuming that you have done your math correct, all i can say is what will be our answer if these were the numbers on the day of judgement?

Also one point that i would like to make is, the night of Lail ul Qadr is 83 yrs and 4 months ( approximately, as they say...it might be even more, Allah knows the best) it would give us some solace.

JAK

Wa iyakom...

Allahu' ala'm akhi.. This thread was only to compare between the number of years we sleep, and pray (5 obligatory prayers). We dont know whats on the day of judgement,Allah (swt) best, but we have to work hard for it, and ask Allah's mercy, forgivness, and blessings (swt).

Of course lailatul qadr, nawafel, tahajud, salatul dhuha, voluntary prayers, fasting/taraweeh, Hajj, Umrah, Zakat, Sadaqa, ect, are all deeds that will be written in our books inshallah. Our deeds isnt the reason that we enter Jannah inshallah, but with Allah' mercy (swt) we will inshallah, Wallahu a'alam. (There is hadieth which clarify this, inshallah brothers and sisters who are knowledgable can provide it inshallah).

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..
Salaam,

I put faith that Allah subhana talla knows the intention of my prayers. I suck at math.

Yes sister, only Allah (swt) knows the intention of everything we do.. Most of the times, I pray without Khousho'o, and I feel that Allah (swt) didnt accept my prayer because I couldn't concentrate... But, yes we put our trust in Allah (swt)... ''Ina al a'amalu bel neyat'..