Peace and Blessings, I am looking for a new way of life.

El Gordito

strength thru faith
Greetings and Blessings to All,

I am in Virginia, with Roots in Guam, and Spain.

I am relatively new to beginning to understand Islam.

I was born and raised Roman Catholic, as the rest of my family. But for as long as I remember, something was missing in everything. I felt there was more to the bigger picture. I have never believed in some of the main principles of a practicing Catholic, and have been reprimanded many times for my views. I thought I was being a good Catholic by being an altar boy and serving during mass. But still. I felt like there was more than what was in front of me.

Recently, I've have met many Muslim people from many countries due to my old job who allowed me to read some books regarding the faith and the viewpoints of the mainstream . To this point, my only understanding and knowledge of Islam is what I have read about in history books and school books.

I have been having in depth discussions with a Muslim person who I work with, about faith and God. This person has also shared many verses from the Qu'ran with me.

If there is one thing that I have come to realize, I am not a Catholic. I'm not even sure if I'm a Christian (in the conventional use of the word). Sure I beleive Jesus existed, and did wonderful things, and taught and showed the world a righteous way... but my friend asked me one thing.

When I pray, who do I pray to?

This was a very difficult subject for me. In times of great praise, and need, I have always prayed to God. But when there are times of prayer .. just because we pray in church. I have always asked for Jesus.

Why? .... My only answer is that This is what I have always done. It is what my father has done, and what his father has done. It is what my neighbors did and what I was always told to do.

But other than that, I had no reason.

Anyway, (I don't want to bore you with a long drawn out story about my current situation on faith)....

in short - I love poetry, the beauty and wonders of nature, and I constantly write ... I write from the heart - but somehow my poems always end up being about 'searching' and 'being lost' and 'looking for God'. I know God is everywhere and his work can be seen everywhere.... but Something is missing from my life.

If anything... I came here to this site to ask.... is there a place in Islam for someone like me?

from what I have discussed with my friend, it seems like a beautiful and righteous way of life... and to be fervent with such devotion and dedication really inspires me... however it is also humbling... as I was never a devoted "Catholic"...

Please, if anyone out there can help me.

BrotherZak

Salam Alakum

Of course their is a place for you in Islam. I'm running a bit late but in regards to when you said: "
Why? .... My only answer is that This is what I have always done. It is what my father has done, and what his father has done. It is what my neighbors did and what I was always told to do."

The quran describes when the prophets were sent to their people with the message of worshipping one God often times their people rejected them because they felt that they were betraying what their fathers worshipped. The people refused to obey logic and rationale and instead the disbelievers accused the prophets of treachery and betrayal of ancestral traditions. This is your purpose and you're greatest test...here is how the quran describes what you described

"The Prophet Hud was interrogated as follows:

70 - They said: “Do you come to us that we may worship God alone, and give up the cult of our fathers?”
7 The Purgatory, 70

And the prophet Salih was asked the following question:

62 - Do you forbid us the worship of what our fathers worshipped?
11 Hud, 62

The following was the address to the Prophet Shuaib:

87 - They said: ” “O Shuaib! Does your prayer command you that we leave off the worship which our fathers practiced?”
11 Hud, 87

And they said to Abraham:

74 - They said: “No, but we found our fathers doing thus (what we do).”
26 The Poets, 74

Moses received the following answer:

36 – We have never heard of this since our ancestors.
28 The History, 36 "

salam

El Gordito

strength thru faith
i just wanted to clarify some of the things that i didn't go into detail

Things in Catholicism I never agreed with:

Need for Preist to Mediate between you and God during Confession
Authority of the Pope, Cardinals, Bishops, and Priests
Love between two different faiths cannot result in successful marriage
During Communion, the bread is actually the flesh of Jesus, and Wine the blood
Statues and Pictures everywhere
the Rosary (long repetive prayer to Mary)

El Gordito

strength thru faith
BrotherZak,

That is definitely one of the problems I am having, 25 years of programming, that I have never questioned. Until recently, I simply did because they told me so....

I have prayed for Guidance, and I hope soon the way will be revealed to me.

Bluegazer

Hello El Gordito,

First of all, I'd like to say a very warm welcome to you. Thank you for visiting this site. I hope you learn new things about Islam.

To begin with, please take a look at the following two links. They'll take you to a couple of my posts which contain good books and videos that will -God willing- increase your knowledge about Islam:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116206&postcount=5
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88428&postcount=5

--------------------------------------------------

You wrote the following:

but my friend asked me one thing.

This was a very difficult subject for me. In times of great praise, and need, I have always prayed to God. But when there are times of prayer .. just because we pray in church. I have always asked for Jesus.

Why? .... My only answer is that This is what I have always done. It is what my father has done, and what his father has done. It is what my neighbors did and what I was always told to do.

We Muslims believe that God Almighty said the following:

And similarly, We sent not a warner before you (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم) to any town (people) but the luxurious ones among them said: "We found our fathers following a certain way and religion, and we will indeed follow their footsteps." (The warner) said: "Even if I bring you better guidance than that which you found your fathers following?" They said: "Verily, we disbelieve in that with which you have been sent."

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 43:23-24]

This point has been mentioned several times in the Qur'an. I'm glad you came to realize this and want to follow a religion because you're convinced it is truly from God Almighty and not just because your parents and everybody you know followed it.

---------------------------------------------

You also wrote the following:

I know God is everywhere and his work can be seen everywhere....

I agree with you that God Almighty's work can bee seen everywhere, but not that He Himself is everywhere.

For a detailed discussion on this topic which shows the correct and sound Islamic point of view, please click on the following link:

http://www.kalamullah.com/Books/Fundamentals Of Tawheed.pdf

You'll find that you could read a book called "The Fundamentals of Tawheed [Islamic Monotheism]" by Dr. Bilal Philips. Please read Chapter Eight which is titled "TRANSCENDENCY". Enter no. 134 on the empty field at the bottom of the Acrobat Reader window. It will take you to the first page of that chapter. Please read the chapter in full.

-----------------------------------------

I hope you all the best El Gordito,

Best regards,

Bluegazer

El Gordito

strength thru faith
Thanks for the links. I will download and read later. Transcendency.....

So far all paths have led me here, and I believe the signs have been revealed... I feel it in my heart when I speak with my friend (and all times), that I have been looking for a better way my whole life... Islam seems to be in tune with everything I feel about my personal faith.

Thanks !

Peace

Bluegazer

You're very welcome.

I just like to say that when you pray to God Almighty, make sure your direct your supplication to Him alone, and not to Jesus [peace be upon him] or the Holy Spirit [which we Muslims believe to be the angel Gabriel].

Mahmed322

Asalaamu alaikum,
The people above me all answered your questions and provided very good replies. Also as far as you saying the following:

If anything... I came here to this site to ask.... is there a place in Islam for someone like me?

I just want to say Islam is for people exactly like you. WE were all lost without islam. We were all looking for the truth and a purpose.

huda2

:salam2:

Welcome bro to this amazing site and our wonderful brothers and sisters who are ready to help u fr any question u have. enjoy being here.

:wasalam:

Salaam El Gordito,

Welcome to the global family. Inshallah (God willing) you will find TTI resourceful and rewarding.

With an open mind and an open heart you will find Islam is a pure and true religion of logic. So please do not hesitate ANY questions that you might have.

The doors are open and your heart is open, just ask Allah (simply translated to God from Arabic, with no human attributions) to help guide and reveal you the truth.

The Creator does not leave his creation unanswered

Catch you around,
TheHumbleWun

muharram23

Staff member
Thanks for the links. I will download and read later. Transcendency.....

So far all paths have led me here, and I believe the signs have been revealed... I feel it in my heart when I speak with my friend (and all times), that I have been looking for a better way my whole life... Islam seems to be in tune with everything I feel about my personal faith.

Thanks !

Peace

Piece be upon you brother,

they way i c is that you are on an edge of becoming musilim. Becoming muslim doesnt negate jesus p.buh. It just clears you believe better, that he is only a creation, one of 5 best prophets of Allah, sent to their people to guide the people to the worship of only one lord, Allah, the one who created all human beings. Brother, islam has all the answers for you. Even priests and preachers are becoming muslim somewhere everyday. Brother, don't hasitate and ignore the whispers of satan and become one of us, muslims. All you have to say from your heart in arabic "ashadu an laa illaaahe illa llah wa ashadu anna muhammaden resul lullah" and attach wa ashadu anna 'aisaa resululllah' It means i bare witness that there is nothing worthy of worship, but Allah alone (they way He taught us to worship Him), and that Muhammad (piece be upon him) is the messenger of Allah" since you are a christian there is also another attachment which is "wa 'aisa resullullah" and that Jesus (peace be upon him son of marry) is the messenger of Allah. This will negate and cleans the belief of every christian from the trinity and gives Allah the right of being alone in His worship. After you sincirelly say this my brother, Allah will forgive you all your sins and ull be a new born baby :). You don't have to go to anyone to tell ur sins nor ask forgivness, but will do it to you as soon as you accept Him in Islam. The One who created 7 heavens and the earth, has the capability to hear you and give you whatever He pleases.

So much from me, I encourage you brother to accept Islam, because it is the truth. It is the same religion taught by every prophet, which means "submition".

You can also go to this site www.turntoislam.com and watch videos of priests and preachers becoming muslim.

Assalamu alaykum

Allah knows best

Shahzad

u r always welcome pal. Islam is the ultimate destination for every one in this world

Greetings and Blessings to All,

I am in Virginia, with Roots in Guam, and Spain.

I am relatively new to beginning to understand Islam.

I was born and raised Roman Catholic, as the rest of my family. But for as long as I remember, something was missing in everything. I felt there was more to the bigger picture. I have never believed in some of the main principles of a practicing Catholic, and have been reprimanded many times for my views. I thought I was being a good Catholic by being an altar boy and serving during mass. But still. I felt like there was more than what was in front of me.

Recently, I've have met many Muslim people from many countries due to my old job who allowed me to read some books regarding the faith and the viewpoints of the mainstream . To this point, my only understanding and knowledge of Islam is what I have read about in history books and school books.

I have been having in depth discussions with a Muslim person who I work with, about faith and God. This person has also shared many verses from the Qu'ran with me.

If there is one thing that I have come to realize, I am not a Catholic. I'm not even sure if I'm a Christian (in the conventional use of the word). Sure I beleive Jesus existed, and did wonderful things, and taught and showed the world a righteous way... but my friend asked me one thing.

Anyway, (I don't want to bore you with a long drawn out story about my current situation on faith)....

in short - I love poetry, the beauty and wonders of nature, and I constantly write ... I write from the heart - but somehow my poems always end up being about 'searching' and 'being lost' and 'looking for God'. I know God is everywhere and his work can be seen everywhere.... but Something is missing from my life.

from what I have discussed with my friend, it seems like a beautiful and righteous way of life... and to be fervent with such devotion and dedication really inspires me... however it is also humbling... as I was never a devoted "Catholic"...

Please, if anyone out there can help me.

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum BrotherZak,

I said that because I thought about El Gordito's saying that he followed certain acts just because his family and everybody he knew did these acts.

You were -Masha'Allaah [Allah has willed it]- better in your response, in that you brought up many of the Qur'anic verses that support that.

Perhaps I should have explained this earlier.

BrotherZak

Salam

Recite to them the story of Abraham,
When he asked his father and his people, ‘What do you worship?’
‘We worship idols,’ they replied, ‘and we are ever devoted to them.’
He said, ‘Do they hear you when you cry?
Or do they benefit or harm you in any way?’
They said, ‘No, but this is what we found our forefathers doing.’
He said, ‘Do you see, then, what you and your forefathers have been worshipping?

The reason why verses of this nature describing how earlier societies reacted when prophets were sent was to show the Quraish that their reaction to prophet Mohammed(pubh) was not entirely new, but to the contrary, something old and used out by generations of Old. Remember the reasons why prophets are sent are to warn the people and after generations when tawhid becomes corrupted a new warner is sent to confirm the same old message brough by earlier prophets. This is why we find soo many religions which have elements of tawhid and elements which have beenn corrupted by the hands of men and time. So with the fitra and the ability to recognize the truth, its almost impossible to hold onto the refutation of our forefathers without being hardheaded. When the prophets command people to worship and provide reason, the quran describes the people of recognizing the truth of their saying but in that instant many ignore it because it is soo vastly different from what their fathers used to worship. Its a paradigm shift and this is exactly what the warners are asking their people to do. Give up idols in which they worship out of habit and use reason and worship the one god.

Here is another deep passage regarding thos oft-repeated phenomenon:
"The people replied to the call of Noah (peace be upon him), as we notice in the Holy Quran, "We sent Noah to his people, he said, "O my people worship Allah, you have no other god but Him. Will you not fear Him?" The unbelievers among his people said, "He is no more than a man like yourselves; his wish is to assert his superiority over you. If Allah had wished to send messengers, He could have sent down angels. Never did we hear such a thing as he says among our ancestors of old"

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
AsalamAlakum,

Welcome to TTI

Im really glad to hear that u want to learn about this astonishing religion

It’s nice to have u join this lovely community.

Insha Allah u benefit from us as we from u.

Enjoy ur stay Insha Allah,

In Islam there is always a place for everyone, no matter who u are or what ur past is!

Islam excepts those who believe that There is No God but Allah and Mohamed Peace Be Upon Him is the Final and Last Messenger.

Take Care,

El Gordito

strength thru faith
I'd like to thank everyone for the very warm welcome again.
I will have to spend many nights reviewing the links given to me... but I am very much loving what I see...

It seems to not only make so much sense, but it is TRUELY beautiful to see the stories and testimony from so many other people...

I am humbled, but I believe my life is starting to get better.

peace & blessings