Islam, Warfare and Jihad.

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
:salam2:

This is a topic which is usually misunderstood by muslims & non-muslims alike, when it shouldn't really..
The Qur'an makes it clear that it IS permissible for people to fight back against those who attack them in the first place. God says: 'Fight in the cause of God those who fight you, BUT do not transgress limits; for God loves not the trangressors [Qur'an 2: 190].

Again, in chapter 4 verse 75, God says: 'And why should you not fight in the cause of God and those who being weak are ill-treated (and oppressed?) Men, women, children whose cry is : 'Our Lord! Rescue us from this town whose people are opressors, and raise for us from You, one who will protect, and raise for us from you one who will help.'

The Hole Qur'an also makes it clear that when the other party refrains from aggression, it is not permissible to attack them. God says: 'But if they cease, God is oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression and there prevail justice & faith in God. But if they cease, let there be no hostility, except to those who pratice oppression' [2:192-193] It is permissible to fight against oppression & persection. This does not apply only to Islam and Muslims, because everyone has the right to worship God. God says: 'To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight) because they are wronged and verily God is Most Powerful for their aid. They are those who have been expelled from their homes in defience of right (for no cause) except that they say: 'Our Lord is God'. If God didn't check one set of people by means of another, there would surely have been pulled down monasteries, churches, synagogues and mosques in which the name of God is commemorated in abudant measure' [22:39-40]

This clearly means that Muslims must fight to protect and defend people of other faiths if they are in areas where the muslims have effective power. All people msut be free to make their own choices. God says explicitly :'There is NO complusion in religion [2:256]

OKay, this brings us to the concept of jihad now. The actual word 'jihad' literally means struggle or exert effort. Jihad may even be able to refrain from fighting or to resist one's own desires or evil inclinations (jihad'ul'nafs) Even making peace could be jihad. There is no such thing as 'holy war' in Islam or in the Qur'an (nowhere!) This is a mistranslation of the word. Holy war is carried out to forcibly subject others to one's religious beliefs. And this is expressly forbidden in Islam.

Fighting in war can be jihad, but under what conditions? Basically, Muslims fight in defence but so do others. So what makes such fighting jihad? The answer is that fighting ONLY becomes jihad if it is for the sake of being obedient to Allah and in accordance with HIS Divine law. It is NOt jihad to fight for wealth, nationalism, territory, honor, race and so on and on...
Jihad has a strong element of self-restraint not seen in any other forms of warfare. Even fighting against people who attacked you irst wouldnt be jihad if the Muslims were to strike back in revenge for example.

There are many examples, we can find in the seerah of OUr Beloved Prophet which demonstrate the point i'm trying to make, let's one example, because it would take too long otherwise: in the life of the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh), we have a practical example of how jihad is to be carried out (no exucses). When Muhammed (pbuh) began peacefully calling people of Mekka to Islam, he was strongly opposed wasnt he? Because of their beliefs, Muhammed (pbuh) and his followers were severly persecuted, sanctionned, tortured, expelled, had their property seized, and were even killed!! Despite all this, Msulims DID NOT waver from the Islamic principles of peace, nonviolence, and passive resistance. After Muahmmed (pbuh) peacefully (i instist) taught Islam for 10 years, several Makkan chiefs and leaders formed an alliance, collaborating on a plot to secrectly assasine the Prophet (pbuh). The angel Gariel informed Muhammed (pbuh) of their assasination plot. On the night the assasination was to take place, Muahmme (pbuh) feld Mekka for Medina, and was pursued closely by the assasins for days. This situation grew continuously worse until the Muslims were forced to migrate. They were openly invited to emigrate to Medina, a citu in the north, where Muhammed (pbuh) was jubilantly welcomed as the Messenger of God and the leader. There, the Islamic community was established, and from there the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) continued his peaceful mission of calling people to Islam.
The Makkan alliance was intent on extinguishing Islam, Muhammed (pbuh) and his monotheistic tachings. Several major military compaings were waged byt he Makkan army to attack Medina in order to annihilate Muslims. When the well-equiped armies of the aggressors were forming on the horizon, far outnumbering the Muslims, God gave the muslims permission for the first time to bear arms in defence of their lives and faith in jihad. THe pagan armies of Mekkah were defeated by the Muslims who were far inferior in number and equipment though belssed with faith, mashallah :). After, the Mekkan allience recognized that war was futile, Muslims initiated a nonaggression treaty which was signed between the Makkan alliance chiefs and the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh). Muslims are required by God to strive towards Peace at any opportunity!!! This treaty, allowed unarmed Muslims to perform pilgrimage to the Ka'bah. This peaceful period proved discouraging to the Mekkan leaders who saw Muslims numbers growing rapidly. Masterminding another treacherous plot, the Makkan allience attacked and slaughtered many in betrayal of the treaty with the Muslims, in order to put a stop to Islam and peace. And it was only after the Mekkan alliance violated the treaty, that the Qur'anic verse ordering Muslims to jihad against this tyranny was reavealed. Amazingly, the Makkans did not engage in combat. Muahmmed (pbuh) entered Mekkah humbly, and isntead of taking revenge or anything, he offered a general amnesty, cleansing the Ka'bah and destroying all the idols. :)

MuHammed (pbuh)forbade any oppression, injustice or complusion in religion and did not allow any doors to be forced open. He grasiouly forgave his most biitter ennemies, including those who had severly persecuted him and even killed members of his family. THis is Muhammed (pbuh), a TRUE example of ISlam, the pinnacle of humanity, and the clear example of jihad brothers and sisters!!

Inshallah, this will further clarify how fighting in Islam was conducted. The Prophet (pbuh) forbade the killing of any non- combattants. Ibn Umar, a companion of the Prophet (pbuh) said; I saw the body of a lain woman during one of the battles of the Prophet (pbuh), so he forbage the killing of women and children[Book of al-Bukhari and Muslim]

God's Messenger (pbuh) used to say the following words: 'Go forward in the name of God. Do not kill an elderly person, nor a child, nor a woman, and do not exeed thr bounds'[book of Muwatta']

From all this, it is easy (i hope!) to see the position of Islam on terrorism. Terrorism is against Islamic principles. Terrorism is a form of warfare in which innocent people are specifically targeted in order to isntill fear int he society! It is clear form the preceding that even during war, when the Muslims are defending against an aggresive enemy, that they are never allowed to target any civilians, or to destroy crops, trees, or livestock in purpose. Thsi is stricly forbidden by ISLAMIC law and the clear examples of the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh).The killing of innocents is murder and a crime against God and humanity, even during times of war and even when the other side does not similarly respect civilian life. If you think about it , the one who kills innocent people is a murderer who deserves the punishmement for murder. (I think i made my point clear, hopefully)

Just to reiterate, there is no such thing as a 'holy war' in Islam.. War is atrocious and can never be called 'holy'. Muslims are not allowed to force their religion on anyone. (Islam must be accpeted full-heartedly).

The word Jihad means struggle. Thsi struggle can be of a military nature. When it is, the difference between jihad and war becomes crystal clear. Jihad can never be fought for wordly gain, for conquest or for revenge. Muslims must fight to protect the freedom of the people to worship God when that freedom is forcibly attacked. They are never allowed to attack innocent people, even when they are themselves attaked.
Any people who go against this established principle of Islamic law are fighting in contradiction to ISLAMIC PRINCIPLES. It is ludicrous for anyone, to call this fighting jihad, a word that means striving for the cause of Islam. In general, they are murderers in the light of Islamic law and should be treated as such.

Tkank you for your time, if i have made any mistake please correct me, maY gOD BLESS YOU.

ma'Salaam

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Mashallah, i'm glad you found beneficial :) alhamdoulilah..

Wow, yeah loads of questions, some of them are actually answered in my post, but never mind ;)

1) Physically abusing you? Wallahi, i'm NOt an expert or a scholar or anything as such, but you are not allowed to 'beat up' anyone, in a case like this what i would do is report the person, and yes, it is obvious that if someone beats you up just for fun, well you're not going to let them beat you, at least react :D...you shouldnt take any abuse, hey you're a human being too, just report them.

2) If it is a muslim who's opressing people, that is not right, and they should refrain from doing that!

3) That's a good question! but ihavnt got a clue as to what is the answer, so i'm not going to even try and answer it, inshallah someone else will.

Please, please,please, if i have made an error, please point it out inshallah..
Hope this help a lilttle..

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Barakallahu Feek brother,

If you can't report them, some *reAsons*, then it might be a problem, because usually these bullies like that, when they can do anything on you, and nothing stops them from doing it again tomorrow you see... what i meant by 'react' is if you get beating up you cannot just stand there, and let them carry on doing it, 'cos it is dangerous!!

Muslims imitating kuffars, yeah, nothing new really is it?

buraq

Asaalamu Alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu
First Of All Jazakallah Khair Sister For The Wonderful Post.
Second:If Non-Believer Is Physically Abusing You,For Just The Fun Of It,Is It Permissble To Beat Them Up?Or Should I Be Patient And Take The Abuse Because It Wouldnt Be Fighting For Allah?
Third: What If It Is A Muslim(s),Who Is Doing The Opressing Or Abusing?
Fourth:What If Some People Are Abusing Other Muslims,Do I Go And Beat Them Up,Even If There Are A Couple Of Muslims In The Group?
Lol Some Strange Questions But I Had A Lot Of Troubles With This Last Year.I Would Be Very Thankful If You Could Clear It Up Please Sister.Jazakallah Khair.
Sorry And Please Forgive Me If I Have Said Anything Wrong.
Wa Alaykum Asaalamu Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu

this brings to my mind, the story of a woman who would hound and torment MUHAMMAD (PBUH) ,every day throw food at him flow him every were , people would ask him why he would do nothing, i dont remember all , so if anyone knows of it, please finish, but in the end something happed to her and she became a muslim,
islam is about peace so yess it is always best just to hold ur head up hight , inshallallh allah will give use the strength to do this,

Nazihah

Be A Stranger
Waalaikumsalam,

Jazakallahu khairan Sis for making this beneficial post. InshaAllah, it'll help to clear the misconceptions on Islam and war. *Great Post*