New muslimah struggling

sister_sarah

Assalamu alaikum

I am new to Islam, I took shahada 2 weeks ago and am very happy that I did, I have a long story to tell about how I eventually came to Islam but that can wait, at the moment I am struggling with study as I am doing it alone, I took shahada on paltalk in front of about 200 people and have had a lot of help with sites and info on Islam and the sisters have been great, but feel that I am being told to do too much too fast and now feel overwhelmed and i get upset that I can't do all what is expected of me as fast as i should, I am happy apart from the fact that I am lonely as being a single parent with no friends is very hard for me and the internet is my only source of information, I don't live in a Islamic community and I wish I did as things would be easier so now don't know what to do. ok i will stop babbling now and look forward to your replies.

Sarah :tti_sister:

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
Assalamu alaikum

I am new to Islam, I took shahada 2 weeks ago and am very happy that I did, I have a long story to tell about how I eventually came to Islam but that can wait, at the moment I am struggling with study as I am doing it alone, I took shahada on paltalk in front of about 200 people and have had a lot of help with sites and info on Islam and the sisters have been great, but feel that I am being told to do too much too fast and now feel overwhelmed and i get upset that I can't do all what is expected of me as fast as i should, I am happy apart from the fact that I am lonely as being a single parent with no friends is very hard for me and the internet is my only source of information, I don't live in a Islamic community and I wish I did as things would be easier so now don't know what to do. ok i will stop babbling now and look forward to your replies.

:salam2:

Sr. Sarah I am so happy that you have taken your shahadah :D

Now what you need to do is express your concerns about moving too fast with the information given to you. Baby steps is the key. I totally felt that way in the beginning. I became so overwhelmed that I just stopped everything completely (May Allah Forgive me). It is great you have the people to help you with your new life, but just remind them that you are like a baby to Islam and given a dissertation of Islam and expecting you to remember everything will not be plausible.

Just try to remember that Allah (swt) has chosen you to follow the straight path. You are a special person because of this. All of your past sins erased! Let the love of Allah (swt) grow everyday :) Prayer will help with your love for Allah.

Just do not let the "rules" become to overwhelming at this point in your life. The rules will unfold when the time is ready :)

:wasalam:

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
Asalaamu alaikum, dear respected sister Sarah,

Firstly, welcome to TTI! =) I believe that Allah SWT has directed you here for a reason, and that He has blessed this website with a fine community of sharing, learning, and growth - Alhamdulilah. InshaAllah you will find the many resources available here a great benefit, and the sisters and brothers here tolerant and helpful. This is one of the internet's largest online families, as well as a place for non-Muslims to come so that they might unlearn some of the many misconceptions about our way of life - so please, feel welcome! =)

Secondaly, congratulations on your decision to acknoledge the signs and submit to the will of God! That was one of the greatest decisions of your life, I can assure you. ;-) InshaAllah He will make it easy for you to adjust and to meet the right people as righteous companions throughout the remainder of your journey along this straight path to a Great Success. =)

I reverted last year, myself, so I understand how you feel about being overwhelmed by the staggering ammount of knowledge now fully available to you. I have always been a keen student, and find the challenge quite enjoyable, though I can certainly understand feeling a bit daunted by it all. If I may, I would advise you to keep it simple to begin with: Focus on the 5 Pillars, and allow yourself to grow at a pace that you are satisfied with, but won't lead to a "burn-out" (as I believe our Southern sister experienced). Once you are comfortable with the basics, the rest should come much more easily.

I look forward to hearing more from you. =) When you get the chance, tell us a little bit more about yourself, what you reverted from, how your family is taking it, etc - InshaAllah.

Again, welcome to TTI - You're among family here! =)

WaSalaam
Br. Ahmed

Muslimah99

Bosnian Muslimah
take it step by step, may Allah grant you happiness and Jannah....if you are too overwhelmed with all that is expected, just calm down, take it easy, don't break down, step by step...Allah doesn't burden us more than we can bear, remember that...life is not ONLY struggle but it contains some tests and you should take this as a test, welcome to islam :).

zainsmommy

Southern Muslimah is right...(everyone actually)
If you are not careful, you will find yourself pulling away out of frustration. Sometimes it's best to find another convert, someone who understands where you are coming from.
In my experience, I found that talking to born Muslims is where the majority of my confusion and frustration came from. Most of them could not REALLY relate to me and my situation and just could not understand what I wasn't getting. Also, May Allah Bless them for this, they never FORGOT to mention EVERYTHING i was doing wrong. Which is good, but when you are just learning...and people tell you "no, no, no, your doing it wrong or you need to also do this"...it gets to be toooo much and you want to scream. Though their intentions are good, for you it's overwhelming and may be discouraging.

Also, it's sad to say....but actually researching about Islam alone is probably where you will get the most information and there is NO PRESSURE. If you come across something while reading and think to yourself "Oh no, I have to do this and that and I am doing this wrong and that" STOP, and remind yourself that this is all still very new for you. Allah knows your intentions.

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

ASSALAAMUALAIKUM, you dont know how worthy you must be in the eyes of your Creator ....!!! and of course my Creator and everybody and everythings' Creator, that He has chosen islam for you and YOU for islam.subhaanallah!
as ou must have guessed by now
THERE IS ONLY ONE WHO IS WORTHY OF WORSHIP, ALLAH
(not ala but ALLOH)
SO we look at the vast universe, a seed put into the soil grows up and beomes a huge tree...a cloud sailing on the air beomes rain ...and a drop of liquid becomes you and me.Glory to hm who made us pure and innocent.and we err so ALLAH said my mercy prevails over my wrath.and that everything has an appointed time by Allah.ALLAH is nearer to us than our selves for His order is the very source of our existence and His remembrane drives our spirit everthrough he temptation of the body and the disturbances of the mind.
this search for the source of perfeion and peace leads us to Allah Al WADUD Allah hu GH-A-FUUR ALLAH HU RAHMAAN ALLAHHURAHEEM.In amoving chapter in the quran Allah asks us as only someone who loves us and owns us can ask O hildren of adam so what has seduced you from your RABBB ?
the Quran is the ultimate gift of Allah to his creation, it is the beauiful esctasy of bieng guide in life by the life giver.marmaduke pikthall one of the celebrated officers posted in british india remarked in his preface to the translation of the Quran "he rythym and the melody of its recitation (in arabic)moves the bravest of men to tears" though translations are not the same as the original but you will have to start there at the same ime he context of the verses has to be remembered .and yes do not miss the recitation of the quran in arabic...ou shud be able to find many short videos on youtube.
ISLAM AS A WAY OF LIFE IS SIMPLE.so said the prophet of islam,the greatest man on earth (as given in he 100 greatest men on earth by michael h wart.)who said i m a mere mortal yet left that fragrance in the hearts of men that they would happily die for his honour without attaching the slightest divinity to him.ISLAM JUST MEANS TAKE ALL GOOD HINGS AND LEAVE THE BAD ONES. and what better authoriy than Allah himself to decide good and bad,one and for all..
"ALLAH has promised those among you who believe and do righteous deeds that he would ESTABILISH them in the earth as HE estabilished those before them,and that He will grant them the authority to practise their religion,that which HE has chosen for them.'al nur :55for now concentrate on three thiings
#1 salah
#2 salah
#3 salah that is
only try to learn the neessary ayats for saing ur salah thats it .try to read the quran with meaning .should be enough.would not the WORD of ALLAH be enough,and lastly dont seek too much advice on WHAT YOU SHOULD DO, BUT DO WHAT SHOULD BE DONE.
prophet muhammad <saw> was very angry with those people who made religion difficult.
HE SAID ISLAM IS EASY.
and he said do as much as you can do easily because once ou have fulfilled the nesessary obligations such as salah thats pretty much it for the day get on with ur business.do you know in the sight of ALLAH raising children with love and affection ,kindness and mery is sawaab as well. now if u dont know what sawaab is and salah is ,i reommend take atrip to the MOSQUE.and as i give you this advice i am pretty much revising te same myself, u see i m a born muslim ,if there is any such thing and et when i do too much religion it breaks my back because thats not islam ,islam says your kids, ur work<its sawab> ,even ur mind and body have rights over u..ALLAH TALA in QURAN says to the prophet read as much of the QURAN as is easy for you.
LASTLY.
#ALLAH IS UR SUSTAINER,CREATOR, LOVES YU CARES FOR U, SO develop a love for ,and belongingness towards Him
PRophet Muhammad <saw> said if u have to ask for anythin ask from Allah,even if its a petty thing.
#when you inside ur mmas belly HE Who fulfilled ur needs hen shall surely fulfill them now.
#thirdly dont let people tell you what has to be done...You have submited to Allah and ALLH alone not to them.

and actually the people mean well for you,hey are telling u all that they know.but remember even a small deed done only and onl for the love of Allah is aceptable in His sight.its the quality of the deeds we do that matters.and of course the minimum aceptable quantity thats salah on a dail basis and modest dress which is all you have to do .lkeep learning but learn while you earn. feesabillillah

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

Also I would like to point out that it becomes really overwhelming when the hadeeth are introduced into your learning. When I reverted, I had no idea what the hadeeth were..I just thought Islam was about the Qur'an. I was frustrated because I felt I reverted too quickly and how will I possibly live this life where I cannot close the door.

Alhamdullilah I took babysteps and I try to learn a new hadith each day and reflect :) That is all life is ...reflection :)

:wasalam:

salahdin

sister sara

Asalama aleium wa rahmatulahi wa barakatu. Dear sister sara my advice to you is take a step at a time.One cannot learn the islam so quickly even those were born with muslim parents plus arabic as their mother tongue have alot to learn.If i were in your shoes i would start with basic things i.e ,how to pray what to say when praying in arabic plus the mening of the words your are saying in when praying. ON this site you can find how to pray. Another thing is how to read the Quran starting with the easy chapters, a good site for Quran recitation i can recommend is called minimuslim( www. minimuslim.com)u can repeat or every word verse as many times you want, by doing this you will be able to memorise the easy and short chapters of the holy Quran and at the same TIME be able to read when performing salah (prayer).Here some sites you can visit.www. Quran explorer. com choose eng-pickthal-audio when you want to hear the holy Quran in arabic and english.you can down load islamasoft solution there you can find the hadith by sahihi bukari and muslim in english.No rush sarah for everything you learn no matter how little it is you get reward from ALLAH.May ALLAH make it easy for you and all the new muslims ameen p.s new muslim inspire me and many other muslims.Asalama aleium wa rahmatulahi wa barakatu

Muslimah99

Bosnian Muslimah
easy people, this woman was just introducing herself and she has probably get much of the necessary basic information, no need to overwhelm her even more :)

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum [peace be upon you] Sister_Sarah,

Welcome to this forum. I'm glad to hear of your reversion to Islam. May Allah strengthen your faith and reward you with happiness in this life and in the Hereafter. Aameen.

Although I'm not a revert, I have read and heard about reverts being overwhelmed, so I have some idea about this challenge you're facing. Therefore, I'm going to try to summarize my points so as not to confuse you:

1- Begin by learning the Five Pillars of Islam and the Six Pillars of Faith. Please click on the following two links to read what these are:

http://www.islam-guide.com/frm-ch3-16.htm
http://www.islam-guide.com/frm-ch3-2.htm

The obligation to pray five times a day is the second most important Pillar of Islam. Persevere in performing these prayers.

2- The most important article of faith in Islam is that no one should be worshiped except Allah the Almighty. Therefore, a Muslim should strive to know who Allah is, how to understand His Names and Attributes. And a Muslim should also know what acts constitute worship and therefore should be directed to God Almighty alone and to no one else.

The best English book that explains this most important aspect of Islam is Dr. Bilal Philips' "Fundamentals of Tawheed [Islamic Monotheism]".

If you'd like to own the book, then you can buy it from the following website:

http://islamicbookstore.com/b8935.html

If you'd like to read it as a PDF file, then you can go to the following site and download the book from there for free:

http://www.imanway.com/en/showpost.php?p=15933&postcount=1

3- You might face some remarks like "How did you convert to Islam when you know how these Muslims view women?!"

I suggest you view the following two links:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126489&postcount=9
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126489&postcount=9

4- Ask Allah the Almighty to strengthen your faith and to increase your knowledge of Islam. And do his supplication on a regular basis.

Finally, please take it easy and do not feel like a failure. It's only natural that one feels overwhelmed at the beginning.

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum [and peace be upon you]

sister_sarah

Thank you

jazzak allah khair

Such wonderful advice, I have read all your posts and taken advice from all, this morning when I woke up I was so disheartened that I have done no study today at all as yesterday I was so overwhelmed by people telling me that I have to do this and that, that I just shut my computer down and left it till this afternoon, I have been learning how to pray and al-fatiah, taking Arabic classes on-line and attending lectures on paltalk all while taking care of my kids and my home and it came to a point where I nearly gave up as I was crying so much because I wanted to please Allah so much and felt like I was failing and everyone was telling me this and that, that i felt was was not capable of learning what I need to learn, I know that they all have good intentions and may Allah bless them for it but now I know that I have to take it at my own pace and not be so overwhelmed by it all and take baby steps as I learn inshallah.

:tti_sister:

sister_sarah

ASSALAAMUALAIKUM, you dont know how worthy you must be in the eyes of your Creator ....!!! and of course my Creator and everybody and everythings' Creator, that He has chosen islam for you and YOU for islam.subhaanallah!
as ou must have guessed by now
THERE IS ONLY ONE WHO IS WORTHY OF WORSHIP, ALLAH
(not ala but ALLOH)
SO we look at the vast universe, a seed put into the soil grows up and beomes a huge tree...a cloud sailing on the air beomes rain ...and a drop of liquid becomes you and me.Glory to hm who made us pure and innocent.and we err so ALLAH said my mercy prevails over my wrath.and that everything has an appointed time by Allah.ALLAH is nearer to us than our selves for His order is the very source of our existence and His remembrane drives our spirit everthrough he temptation of the body and the disturbances of the mind.
this search for the source of perfeion and peace leads us to Allah Al WADUD Allah hu GH-A-FUUR ALLAH HU RAHMAAN ALLAHHURAHEEM.In amoving chapter in the quran Allah asks us as only someone who loves us and owns us can ask O hildren of adam so what has seduced you from your RABBB ?
the Quran is the ultimate gift of Allah to his creation, it is the beauiful esctasy of bieng guide in life by the life giver.marmaduke pikthall one of the celebrated officers posted in british india remarked in his preface to the translation of the Quran "he rythym and the melody of its recitation (in arabic)moves the bravest of men to tears" though translations are not the same as the original but you will have to start there at the same ime he context of the verses has to be remembered .and yes do not miss the recitation of the quran in arabic...ou shud be able to find many short videos on youtube.
ISLAM AS A WAY OF LIFE IS SIMPLE.so said the prophet of islam,the greatest man on earth (as given in he 100 greatest men on earth by michael h wart.)who said i m a mere mortal yet left that fragrance in the hearts of men that they would happily die for his honour without attaching the slightest divinity to him.ISLAM JUST MEANS TAKE ALL GOOD HINGS AND LEAVE THE BAD ONES. and what better authoriy than Allah himself to decide good and bad,one and for all..
"ALLAH has promised those among you who believe and do righteous deeds that he would ESTABILISH them in the earth as HE estabilished those before them,and that He will grant them the authority to practise their religion,that which HE has chosen for them.'al nur :55for now concentrate on three thiings
#1 salah
#2 salah
#3 salah that is
only try to learn the neessary ayats for saing ur salah thats it .try to read the quran with meaning .should be enough.would not the WORD of ALLAH be enough,and lastly dont seek too much advice on WHAT YOU SHOULD DO, BUT DO WHAT SHOULD BE DONE.
prophet muhammad <saw> was very angry with those people who made religion difficult.
HE SAID ISLAM IS EASY.
and he said do as much as you can do easily because once ou have fulfilled the nesessary obligations such as salah thats pretty much it for the day get on with ur business.do you know in the sight of ALLAH raising children with love and affection ,kindness and mery is sawaab as well. now if u dont know what sawaab is and salah is ,i reommend take atrip to the MOSQUE.and as i give you this advice i am pretty much revising te same myself, u see i m a born muslim ,if there is any such thing and et when i do too much religion it breaks my back because thats not islam ,islam says your kids, ur work<its sawab> ,even ur mind and body have rights over u..ALLAH TALA in QURAN says to the prophet read as much of the QURAN as is easy for you.
LASTLY.
#ALLAH IS UR SUSTAINER,CREATOR, LOVES YU CARES FOR U, SO develop a love for ,and belongingness towards Him
PRophet Muhammad <saw> said if u have to ask for anythin ask from Allah,even if its a petty thing.
#when you inside ur mmas belly HE Who fulfilled ur needs hen shall surely fulfill them now.
#thirdly dont let people tell you what has to be done...You have submited to Allah and ALLH alone not to them.

and actually the people mean well for you,hey are telling u all that they know.but remember even a small deed done only and onl for the love of Allah is aceptable in His sight.its the quality of the deeds we do that matters.and of course the minimum aceptable quantity thats salah on a dail basis and modest dress which is all you have to do .lkeep learning but learn while you earn. feesabillillah

Thank you for this, it makes so much sense and means so much and is good advice that I can refer back to it when needs be, masha allah

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Dear sister, as a convert you have been blessed twice and now have a clean white page ... as opposed to our pages that have been filled with sins :(

Allah SWT says: (28: 52-54)

[52] Those to whom We gave the Scripture (i.e. the Taurât (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)) before it, they believe in it (the Qur'ân). [53] And when it is recited to them, they say: "We believe in it. Verily, it is the truth from our Lord. Indeed even before it we have been from those who submit themselves to Allâh in Islâm as Muslims. [54] These will be given their reward twice over, because they are patient, and repel evil with good, and spend (in charity) out of what We have provided them.

You maybe struggling but you are still priviliged ;)

lions_den1

Ahle Sunnah wal Jama
AS SALAMU ALAUK SISTER

The most important thing you can learn at the moment is how to pray! i think everyone will agree that this is what distinguishes a muslim from a non-muslim.

so concentrate on learing the first surah and the last surahs rom the Quran and how to pray insha Allah!!

IbnAlAawam

...but now I know that I have to take it at my own pace and not be so overwhelmed by it all and take baby steps as I learn inshallah.
Exactly sister, go to your own rythm make sure you do not let people put pressure on you. Going slow but surely is better than going fast and then feeling overwhelmed.

TAke care sister,

May Allah awj make it easy for you.

Doris

Asalamu alikum ua rahmatullah. Allaah guides whom He wants. Elhamdulilah.

Three things for the sister. 1. Master in Tauheed (Allaah being One, and Only One to be worshipped,Stay away from anyform of shirk) 2.Learn/Master Arabic language.( No arabic, no real understanding in issues)3. stay away from Haaram, stay close to Halaal.
May Allaah Almighty protect you and your family. Amin

Help is on the way Allah u Akbar

Assalamu alaikum

Dear Sarah,
As Salaamu alaikum. I have been muslim 30 yrs. I am an older sister. I want you to know something... If you try to overtake Islam, Islam will overtake you. This means we all learn in degrees and stages. Take it easy. I have been married and divorced 3 times. Take it easy. I will never marry again and I am in total peace about that fact. You don't need to live in an Islamic community either. You need a Qur'an for sure. I would happy to help u learn how to make salat. It is a snap. I learned in arabic so I only know it in arabic. My e-mail address is [email protected] Write to me dear. Samirah

lily_mawar

:salam2: My Dear Sis Sarah ....

:SMILY206: to TTI world ....

Alhamdulilah, you have taken your shahadah ... May Allah give His guidance to you. I agree with sis Southrn_Muslimah take step by step to learn about Islam. Right now, learn how to do Sholat cause sholat is a direct link between the worshipper and God. You may feel inner happiness, peace, and comfort.

In Islam when one accepts Islam, he or she in essence repent from the ways and beliefs of their previous life.

One need not be overburdened by sins committed before their acceptance. The person’s record is clean, and it is as if he/she was just born from his mother’s womb.

Sis Sarah, may Allah bless you ..... :hearts: