New converts to Islam -- Some advice

:salam2: I read this article written by a revert sister and thought it was quite interesting.

New converts to Islam -- Some advice
Assalamu Alaikom,

The process of conversion isn't a simple journey, and sometimes a person feels rather alone. I thought I would write an article for new female converts and those thinking of converting, based on my experiences and the experiences of other converts that I have read online and heard about in person.

When I was in the process of converting, I devoured all information I could about Islam. My primary source was the internet, simply due to the volume and variety of sources available. Oftentimes, I was confused, because what one website stated as fact was not necessarily what another said. And what one Muslim poster thought was the cat's meow made another Muslim poster howl. Oh so many opinions, and so many Qur'anic verse and hadith to back up all these opinions! What to think, for the new convert who is just learning and isn't quite yet sure what is opinion and what is fact?

Having been in the faith for a while now, I am aware that there are schools of thoughts and difference of opinion between scholars. (Islam has no central authority to turn to, unlike other religions with a very set hierarchy.) This difference of opinion is allowed, and scholars (and therefore the rest of us) are to respect the opinions of one another.

However, some of the websites one encounters have a set opinion and will not tolerate any deviance from this opinion. Not only this, but some posters to Islamic websites will answer as if from a position of knowledge, when they actually do not have the necessary knowledge.

This occurs in person, too. There are Muslims with very set opinions, who very strictly adhere to their school of thought, and seek to impose this way of living Islam on those around them... especially new converts, who are like sponges, eager to soak up absolutely anything relating to Islam.

So, it is vital that the new Muslim research everything for themselves, and never blindly accept what others are telling them. Take from multiple sources! Read the Qur'an and hadith, read the scholarly opinions relating to them, and also read articles and fatwas from a variety of sources. Yes, ask your fellow Muslims, but don't blindly follow. In addition, don't take the easiest path *or* the hardest path. Don't quickly accept an opinion that says what you want to hear, when you know that 99.9% of the other opinions did not agree with this one. If it seems like a controversial or weak opinion, look deeper before deciding. And don't take the opinion that makes the religion too difficult to bear. The Qur'an itself warns us against this, too!

You know, when I converted, I was given a giant haram list: makeup, music, dogs, any piercing beyond a single earlobe piercing, pants, Western dress, Western haircuts, exposed feet, maintaining friendships with non-Muslims, talking to men on the phone even for business purposes, brushing the teeth while fasting, eating with the left hand, tampons, wearing bright colors, travelling anywhere alone, working in a mixed environment, using any sort of guide to pray, all Western holidays and celebrations, praying a certain way or failing to pray a certain way, and so on. I thought my head would burst. It seemed like Islam was merely a collection of millions of minute rules intended to strictly regulate every single breathing moment of a person's life! It is true that there are rules we are expected to follow, or recommendations that we ought to consider, but at first, give yourself time and space to grow into these commitments. Don't expect yourself to magically become super Muslim in the blink of an eye (or in the time it takes to recite the shahada.)

And of course, don't forget the biggest insistence a new Muslim woman will hear: YOU MUST WEAR HIJAB STARTING NOW!

Later, I found out a lot of what those few Muslims around me insisted were... if you'll pardon me for saying this... "gospel", were either distortions of scholarly opinion, the strictest opinion, one opinion out of a few, or flat out wrong. That means I spent a lot of time obsessing and feeling like a failure for no good reason at all. It wasn't until I started meeting a larger variety of Muslims and researching things for myself that I realized there is more than one way to live Islam.

Many converts are isolated and do not have direct access to a mosque or Muslim community. Many must rely on books, tapes, the internet, and perhaps one or two Muslim families or friends to guide them. It's difficult and I sympathize because I was once in that situation, myself.

The best way to understand the dazzling beauty and variety within Islam is to meet as many Muslims as you can, and to visit as many mosques and communities as you can. When I came to Dearborn, and when I met my husband's family, I was floored by the rich variety in how people live as Muslims. There are Muslim women who do not wear hijab at all. There are Muslims who own dogs. There are Muslims who do not pray every day but fast each Ramadan and intend to make the hajj. There are Muslims who follow every last rule of Islam and those who ignore most. There are Muslims who have very set opinions on how a Muslim ought to live, and those who are quite agreeable to disagreeing. There are Muslims who are extremely knowledgeable about the religion and those who know very little. In other words, given that there are six billion of us worldwide, it makes perfect sense that there are all kinds of Muslims in the world. Your job as a convert is to find *your* Islam, *your* path, *your* voice. I am not advocating that you fail to meet what could be called the basic requirements of the faith... but I am advocating that you find a way of living Islam that is right for you.

As I have already briefly mentioned, hijab is a major issue. Such a small, simple piece of cloth, yet it wields incredible power. While researching Islam, I was struck by how much attention hijab is given. A woman could go her whole life without truly understanding Islam, but she sure as heck understands that she ought to have that square of cloth on her head. So much attention is devoted to this topic. A new Muslim convert is also going to encounter the opinion that hijab is not a requirement at all. The need to cover is agreed upon by all four schools of thought, I am sure, but there are individuals and groups out there that do not believe it is necessary. So, with all of this in mind, a convert has some decisions to make. Remember that this is your life, your spirituality, and hijab is an intensely personal issue. Don't allow others to badger you into doing something that you are not yet comfortable with. Likewise, don't let others badger you out of doing something you feel you must. I know for myself, it took me some time to want to wear hijab. Honestly, it took me more time to understand hijab on an inner, spiritual level. I wore hijab first out of duty and only later came to identify with it and understand the inner modesty it represents.

I want to mention marriage. As a new convert, I felt intense pressure to marry, and I've heard other new Muslims say the same. "Marriage is half your deen" is an expression you are going to hear regularly, and from acquaintance and stranger alike. Whether or not you wish to marry is a personal choice, but I would recommend that you spend a few years as a Muslim before you do so. "You'll learn from your husband, he can teach you Islam" is something you will hear, and sure, that's true, but you have your own brain and you can learn Islam without a husband! You must learn and grow into your deen, because trust me, you are going to undergo some changes in your first few years of being a Muslim. You will look back at the person who converted to Islam, and the person you are now, and you are going to see some real differences. Wait until you are firm in your religion and a little more knowledgeable before you put your future in the hands of somebody else. What if his Islam is much more strict than yours? What if it's too lenient? And let's be honest here... It is entirely possible that a convert will be manipulated due to her lack of knowledge. "Oh yes, honey, it's required that the wife massage the man's feet every day or else the angels curse her. Oh yes, honey, it's recommended that the wife does all the housework. Oh yes, honey, it's totally halal for me to smoke weed." Being a part of a Muslim family will strengthen your Islam and will improve your knowledge and perhaps even make you feel closer to the community, but it is something that should not be rushed. "Marry in haste, repent in leisure".

Not to mention that for most of us, we don't have family and community behind us when we decide to marry. If we wish to follow Islam properly, we avoid dating and being alone with potential partners. Because converts may find themselves on the fringe of the Muslim community, and alone when in search of a marriage partner, we are often quite vulnerable when seeking marriage. Not all of us have any connections, we must rely on the word of our wali (who is sometimes someone we don't know very well), or if we cannot find a wali, the word of the potential husband himself. We can't look into his background and his reputation because we don't know who to ask and what to ask. We may not have many offers of marriage because of our distance from the community. This is not a secret, and there are opportunists who will take advantage of this vulnerability. So, do not rush marriage. Learn your religion, become comfortable in it, attempt to become part of a larger Muslim community if possible, network with your trusted Muslim friends, and proceed very slowly with potential partners.

Now, enough of your interactions with Muslims. What about non-Muslims? You are going to be asked many questions about Islam, some simple, some intricate, some obscure. Don't answer beyond your ability. Be honest with people, tell them when you cannot answer for something. (And then go home and research it!) Likewise, you are not responsible for everything done in the name of Islam, nor do you have to agree with it. Here is a radical example: honor killing. Honor killing is known within Islamic societies but it's not at all Islamic. It is cultural. You are going to be asked difficult questions, and it's worth being prepared for it. Similarly, becoming Muslim does not nullify your ethnicity and cultural background. You do not have to become something or somebody else. You are not renouncing your people or your culture.

Also, don't feel any shame about your non-Muslim family. Do not turn away from them if you've previously had a relationship with them. Don't discard your non-Muslim friends (although it's fine to evaluate a friendship if, say, your primary connection is the fact that you went bar hopping together every weekend...) Becoming Muslim does not mean you must entirely reinvent yourself and do away with anything that came before.

Another thing I would like to discuss is the topic of name changes. A number of new Muslims are told that they must take on an Islamic name. It is true that a Muslim is required to change his or her name if their current name insults Islam or has a bad meaning. A man or woman named "Christian" might want to change their name, for example. But I would guess that for many of us, our names do not have negative meanings. A woman may wish to adopt an Islamic name as part of the conversion process, but that is a personal choice. As a funny aside, one time a man *told* me what my new Islamic name would be. Yeah, sure! I like having a Western name because it's mine, it's my identity, and also because I feel it promotes understanding. Most non-Muslims think all Muslims are Middle Eastern, and when they see me, Ms. European-Descent Convert, it makes them re-evaluate some of their preconceived notions of Islam!

Give your family and friends time to accept the changes you're making in your life. Your journey toward Islam may have been a long time in the making from your perspective, but it may be completely surprising to your loved ones. Additionally, I would recommend that you refrain from insisting that those outside of your direct influence (such as your children) follow you into Islam... You can certainly make dawah to your friends and family, but be gentle with them. And although I have heard of non-Muslims following their sole Muslim relative into Islam, I would say don't expect this. Respect is a two way street, of course. I highly recommend that you talk to your friends and family all along the way, as you grow into your new religion.

Now, having written all of this, I can't help but think that the overall tone of this article is negative. That is entirely not the case! Converting to Islam will be a wondrous journey, and you will be amazed at the improvements in your outlook, frame of mind, and habits. Islam has brought me very little discomfort and a whole lot of security and peace. But, a new Muslim may find herself encountering some of these situations and I wanted to better prepare her for it.

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Salam

I think this was a brilliant article and what she's says makes a lot of sense. You will always have people trying to help reverts when basically all there doing is giving them wrong advice and perhaps putting them off Islam altogether.

Islam is meant to be so simple and yet we make it seem so difficult if not for others ourselves!

Salam alai kum

Imad

Assalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh,

May Allah help her to understand islam.

a piece of her advice is very brilliant and other piece of her advice is not brilliant at all.

Wassalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh,

Imad

Laura

Brilliant sis- my Allah Bless you for your efforts.
I think you just hit the nail on the head with the head with the difficulties converts face, an honest and well written piece.

P.s- I am one of those muslims that owns a dog!

new-muslim

As salam o alaikum

I think this is very useful to new converts. Thank you for taking the time and thought to write this. Conversion can be a very difficult time. Your life changes dramatically, perhaps old friends don't phone as much, your family just can't understand. We are human, not perfect. Being a good Muslim takes time. Trying to follow the 5 pillars is a good starting point. Other issues like as you say- owning a dog, make-up, etc.etc. should not really be an initial priority. I think the connection with Allah on a deeper sense is much more important. Even praying 5 times for a convert can be difficult. This is something that I at times still struggle with. In sh'allah I will be a better muslim.

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Even praying 5 times for a convert can be difficult. This is something that I at times still struggle with. In sh'allah I will be a better muslim.

As a born Muslim I to struggle to pray 5 times a day however I still manage to do it Alhamdulilah. The word you used was "struggle" this whole life that we live is one big struggle in itself and it will continue to be so until our last breath. The struggles we all face is our own personal Jihad.

Salam

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum,

This article contains some good points.

It also contains some outright wrong statements, such as the following:

The best way to understand the dazzling beauty and variety within Islam is to meet as many Muslims as you can, and to visit as many mosques and communities as you can. When I came to Dearborn, and when I met my husband's family, I was floored by the rich variety in how people live as Muslims. There are Muslim women who do not wear hijab at all. There are Muslims who own dogs. There are Muslims who do not pray every day but fast each Ramadan and intend to make the hajj. There are Muslims who follow every last rule of Islam and those who ignore most. There are Muslims who have very set opinions on how a Muslim ought to live, and those who are quite agreeable to disagreeing. There are Muslims who are extremely knowledgeable about the religion and those who know very little. In other words, given that there are six billion of us worldwide, it makes perfect sense that there are all kinds of Muslims in the world. Your job as a convert is to find *your* Islam, *your* path, *your* voice. I am not advocating that you fail to meet what could be called the basic requirements of the faith... but I am advocating that you find a way of living Islam that is right for you.

The problem I have with the above paragraph is that the author believes that differences -however fundamental they are- are all part of the "dazzling beauty and variety within Islam".

And as examples of these differences which show the "dazzling beauty and variety within Islam" she quotes the following examples:

"There are Muslim women who do not wear hijab at all."

"There are Muslims who do not pray every day but fast each Ramadan and intend to make the hajj."

At the end of the paragraph she states that "Your job as a convert is to find *your* Islam, *your* path, *your* voice. I am not advocating that you fail to meet what could be called the basic requirements of the faith... but I am advocating that you find a way of living Islam that is right for you."

I totally disagree. And my reasons for disagreeing are as follows:

1- Some of the examples she mentioned strongly imply that it's alright to neglect or not to believe in certain well known key elements or duties in Islam.

Do Muslim women really have the choice to believe they don't have to wear the hijab?

A Muslim woman who knows that she has to wear the hijab but doesn't is a sinner, and that's an entirely different matter. Please click on the following link to read what I wrote on this matter:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=61073&postcount=1

And do Muslims also have the choice to believe that they don't have to pray five times a day as long as they fast the month of Ramadan and perform the Hajj [pilgrimage]?

Since when does a Muslim not praying the five obligatory prayers constitute part of the "dazzling beauty and variety within Islam"??

2- The job of you [i.e., the convert] is not to "find *your* Islam, *your* path, *your* voice."

The job of converts and those born into Muslim families is to obey Allah and the authentic sayings of the Messenger [peace be upon him] the way the Companions understood these two sources.

That means that reverts to Islam should always ask for the proof of a certain religious obligation and make sure it's not some form of innovation or a cultural practice that violates Islam.

Allah the Almighty has said:

It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allâh and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allâh and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed into a plain error.

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 33:36]

And He said:

And the foremost to embrace Islâm of the Muhâjirûn (those who migrated from Makkah to Al-Madinah) and the Ansâr (the citizens of Al-Madinah who helped and gave aid to the Muhâjirûn ) and also those who followed them exactly (in Faith). Allâh is well-pleased with them as they are well-pleased with Him. He has prepared for them Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise), to dwell therein forever. That is the supreme success.

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 9:100]

The author added the phrase "I am not advocating that you fail to meet what could be called the basic requirements of the faith" to the above statement. However, when she starts mentioning women not believing they have to wear the hijab and Muslims not praying five times a day as a sign of "the dazzling beauty and variety within Islam", then I have serious doubts about her understanding of what "the basic requirements of the faith" are.

I'm not saying that there's no room for different opinions in Islam. Well known scholars have often differed on several matters. For example, click on the following link to see such a difference:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=113642&postcount=6

But there are basic articles of faith and basic duties of Islam where there should be no difference [such as the duty to pray five times a day, the belief in the Five Pillars of Islam and the Six Pillars of Faith, the love a Muslim should have for all the Companions of the Prophet -peace be upon him-, the special and honourable status of the wives of the Prophet -peace be upon him- as the Mothers of the Believers].

So, when you have those who:

- do not believe they have to pray five times a day
- doubt or reject one of the Pillars mentioned above
- attack and hate the vast majority of [or any one of] the Companions [may Allah be pleases with them all]
- attack the honour of any one of the wives of the Prophet [peace be upon him]

Then all those above certainly do not constitute part of the "dazzling beauty and variety within Islam".

------------------------------------------

As I said above, the author does mention some good points, such as the following:

It is true that there are rules we are expected to follow, or recommendations that we ought to consider, but at first, give yourself time and space to grow into these commitments. Don't expect yourself to magically become super Muslim in the blink of an eye (or in the time it takes to recite the shahada.)

That's very true.

One should begin by learning the most important aspects of Islam, such as Tawheed -believing in the Oneness of Allah, His Names and Attributes and making sure no act of worship is directed to any being other than Him-, the Five Pillars of Islam, the Six Pillars of Faith and some major sins to avoid [such as adultery, fornication, drinking intoxicants....etc].

And then one should give himself time to grow and not be frustrated.

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum sister Lara,

You wrote the following in post #4:

Brilliant sis- my Allah Bless you for your efforts.
I think you just hit the nail on the head with the head with the difficulties converts face, an honest and well written piece.

P.s- I am one of those muslims that owns a dog!

Please read the following is the religious opinion [fatwa] of Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid. It's an answer to question no. 377 [Ruling on having a dog]:

Question:

ALSALAAM ALAIKUM

I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT KEEPING PETS IN THE HOUSE.I KNOW THAT THE KALB(DOG)IS CONSIDERED NIJASA, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHY.

I REMEMBER A SECTION IN THE Qur'an WHERE THE PROPHET PEACE BE UPON HIM ONCE GAVE A THIRSTY DOG WATER TO DRINK OR SOMETHING TO THAT EFFECT.

COULD YOU PLEASE ELABORATE.

THANK YOU

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

According to Islaamic Sharee’ah, it is not permitted to keep a dog except within narrowly-defined limits, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained: "Whoever keeps a dog, his good deeds will decrease every day by one qeeraat (a unit of measurement), unless it is a dog for farming or herding." According to another report: ". . . unless it is a dog for herding sheep, farming or hunting." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, al-Fath, 2322)

Dogs are extremely naajis (impure, unclean). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "If a dog drinks from the vessel of any one of you, let him wash it seven times" (reported by Muslim, no. 279). According to another report: ". . . and clean it the eighth time with earth." (Saheeh Muslim, no. 280).

It is forbidden in Islaam to sell a dog and to receive payment for it, as is reported in Saheeh al-Bukhaari from Abu Mas’oud al-Ansaari: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade (accepting) the price of a dog. (al-Fath, no. 2237)

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us not to resemble dogs by placing our forearms on the ground during sujood (prostration), as in reported in the hadeeth narrated by Anas ibn Maalik, according to which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Do sujood properly; none of you should spread his forearms like a dog does." (al-Bukhaari, Fath, no. 822).

Whoever keeps a dog in his house is denied the blessing of the angels’ presence in his house, as the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 3225).

Keeping dogs nowadays is the habit of the kuffaar, who adopt them as friends, kiss them, let them lick them and their clothes, sleep with them and even leave them money in their wills. Keeping a dog is an imitation of the kuffaar. Some Muslims may claim that they need to keep a dog at home for purposes of protection, to which we respond that nowadays there are burglar alarm systems and other measures one may take for security purposes, and there is no need to keep a dog, praise be to Allaah.

It only remains for us to say that the fact that it is forbidden to keep a dog and interect closely with it does not mean that we should not be kind or feel compassion towards dogs if we see them in a pitiful state. These are two entirely separate matters. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that "a man saw a dog biting the dust because of thirst, so he took his shoe and started to scoop water up with it until the dog’s thirst was quenched. Allaah appreciated his good deed and granted him entry to Paradise for it." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, no. 174).

According to another report, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whilst a man was walking he became very thirsty, so he went down to a well and drank from it. When he came out, he saw a dog panting and biting the soil because of thirst. The man said, ‘He is suffering the same as I suffered,’ so he filled his shoe (with water), came out and let the dog drink until his thirst was quenched. Allaah appreciated his good deed and forgave him because of it." The people asked, "O Messenger of Allaah, will we be rewarded for how we treat animals?" He said, "In every living thing there is a reward." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Fath, no. 2363).

We do not want to omit reminding you of the importance of reading the Qur’aan properly and referring to it. You say in your question that the story of the thirsty dog is in the Qur’aan, and that is not the case, as it is reported in the Sunnah.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Source: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=377&ln=eng

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

Alex87

UmmJamal

It only remains for us to say that the fact that it is forbidden to keep a dog and interect closely with it does not mean that we should not be kind or feel compassion towards dogs if we see them in a pitiful state. These are two entirely separate matters. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that "a man saw a dog biting the dust because of thirst, so he took his shoe and started to scoop water up with it until the dog’s thirst was quenched. Allaah appreciated his good deed and granted him entry to Paradise for it." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, no. 174).

According to another report, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whilst a man was walking he became very thirsty, so he went down to a well and drank from it. When he came out, he saw a dog panting and biting the soil because of thirst. The man said, ‘He is suffering the same as I suffered,’ so he filled his shoe (with water), came out and let the dog drink until his thirst was quenched. Allaah appreciated his good deed and forgave him because of it." The people asked, "O Messenger of Allaah, will we be rewarded for how we treat animals?" He said, "In every living thing there is a reward." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Fath, no. 2363).

now I'm really confused, I've heard this story before only it was a Harlot who filled her leather sock with water at the bottom of the well.
Am I imagining this??
Sorry if I'm completely wrong and have offended people but which of the three is true??

mrsmcginty

thank you for the article. i am a converting muslim and i find it so difficult when everyone has a different opinion on the simplest of things. Often i find a single hadith with multiple interpretations and i do not know which one i should believe. usually i just look at it with common sense and try to work out which one would most benefit allah because at the end of the day if your intention is right then allah will understand you actions.

soulzcore

Abd-Allah !!
now I'm really confused, I've heard this story before only it was a Harlot who filled her leather sock with water at the bottom of the well.
Am I imagining this??
Sorry if I'm completely wrong and have offended people but which of the three is true??

The first two are the same....And I never heard the third one...What i know is this story in the hadith is reproduced in many other versions,which are normally included in story books with moral values..

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
Assalamu Alaikum,

This article contains some good points.

It also contains some outright wrong statements, such as the following:

The problem I have with the above paragraph is that the author believes that differences -however fundamental they are- are all part of the "dazzling beauty and variety within Islam".

And as examples of these differences which show the "dazzling beauty and variety within Islam" she quotes the following examples:

"There are Muslim women who do not wear hijab at all."

"There are Muslims who do not pray every day but fast each Ramadan and intend to make the hajj."

At the end of the paragraph she states that "Your job as a convert is to find *your* Islam, *your* path, *your* voice. I am not advocating that you fail to meet what could be called the basic requirements of the faith... but I am advocating that you find a way of living Islam that is right for you."

I totally disagree. And my reasons for disagreeing are as follows:

1- Some of the examples she mentioned strongly imply that it's alright to neglect or not to believe in certain well known key elements or duties in Islam.

Do Muslim women really have the choice to believe they don't have to wear the hijab?

A Muslim woman who knows that she has to wear the hijab but doesn't is a sinner, and that's an entirely different matter. Please click on the following link to read what I wrote on this matter:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=61073&postcount=1

And do Muslims also have the choice to believe that they don't have to pray five times a day as long as they fast the month of Ramadan and perform the Hajj [pilgrimage]?

Since when does a Muslim not praying the five obligatory prayers constitute part of the "dazzling beauty and variety within Islam"??

2- The job of you [i.e., the convert] is not to "find *your* Islam, *your* path, *your* voice."

The job of converts and those born into Muslim families is to obey Allah and the authentic sayings of the Messenger [peace be upon him] the way the Companions understood these two sources.

That means that reverts to Islam should always ask for the proof of a certain religious obligation and make sure it's not some form of innovation or a cultural practice that violates Islam.

Allah the Almighty has said:

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 33:36]

And He said:

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 9:100]

The author added the phrase "I am not advocating that you fail to meet what could be called the basic requirements of the faith" to the above statement. However, when she starts mentioning women not believing they have to wear the hijab and Muslims not praying five times a day as a sign of "the dazzling beauty and variety within Islam", then I have serious doubts about her understanding of what "the basic requirements of the faith" are.

I'm not saying that there's no room for different opinions in Islam. Well known scholars have often differed on several matters. For example, click on the following link to see such a difference:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=113642&postcount=6

But there are basic articles of faith and basic duties of Islam where there should be no difference [such as the duty to pray five times a day, the belief in the Five Pillars of Islam and the Six Pillars of Faith, the love a Muslim should have for all the Companions of the Prophet -peace be upon him-, the special and honourable status of the wives of the Prophet -peace be upon him- as the Mothers of the Believers].

So, when you have those who:

- do not believe they have to pray five times a day
- doubt or reject one of the Pillars mentioned above
- attack and hate the vast majority of [or any one of] the Companions [may Allah be pleases with them all]
- attack the honour of any one of the wives of the Prophet [peace be upon him]

Then all those above certainly do not constitute part of the "dazzling beauty and variety within Islam".

------------------------------------------

As I said above, the author does mention some good points, such as the following:

That's very true.

One should begin by learning the most important aspects of Islam, such as Tawheed -believing in the Oneness of Allah, His Names and Attributes and making sure no act of worship is directed to any being other than Him-, the Five Pillars of Islam, the Six Pillars of Faith and some major sins to avoid [such as adultery, fornication, drinking intoxicants....etc].

And then one should give himself time to grow and not be frustrated.

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

Salam Brother,
I really enjoy reading your post (even this one), however I believe you're taking the author too literally.
The impression I get from the article is that she is basically advocating,
1. Take your time
2. Give yourself breathing room, you do not need to rush to everything and adapt every measure of practice (especially w/o knowing the significance behind such practices, rules, etc..)
3. With the steady increase of knowledge of Islam, you can sincerely adapt and embrace the religion and its practices.

Overall I think the post was excellent, and she made some great points.
I'm a born Muslim, but I can imagine it might be quite difficult for a new revert to "to find a balance" so to speak.

But I do agree with you the "diversity within the Muslim community is not dazzling". I think she choose the wrong word (dazzling). lol
Perhaps the cultural diversity is "dazzling and beautiful", but from what I observed some people are just too lenient in their ways.
I don't believe that's a good diversity.

Nonetheless, the sister made her point. It is extremely important that you read the Quran, the sunnah, and acquire knowledge for youself.
Once a person do that, he/she can come to a sound conclusion on their own based on the acquired information, rather than just relying it on "word of mouth" especially from some one who doesn't practice or doesn't have enough knowledge of Islam.

Wylaikum,

Shoaib

I apologize if I offended either one of you in my post.

Allah knows best

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
She said:
The process of conversion isn't a simple journey, and sometimes a person feels rather alone.
It is true, But not for those who convert to Islam.
Islam is the only religion that once you convert to you'r no longer lonely for they have Allah swt by thier side, no longer sad for they know suffering is rewarded, no longer confused for Allah have shown them the truth and the straight path of righteousness, But they (the disbelievers) don't know it.. or know it but dont believe it.. or believe it but denying it.. for disbelievers have too much ego to admit it.

And let not those grieve you (O Muhammad SAW) who rush with haste to disbelieve; verily, not the least harm will they do to Allâh. It is Allâh's Will to give them no portion in the Hereafter. For them there is a great torment. (176) Verily, those who purchase disbelief at the price of Faith, not the least harm will they do to Allâh. For them, there is a painful torment. (177) And let not the disbelievers think that Our postponing of their punishment is good for them. We postpone the punishment only so that they may increase in sinfulness. And for them is a disgracing torment. (178) Allâh will not leave the believers in the state in which you are now, until He distinguishes the wicked from the good. Nor will Allâh disclose to you the secrets of the Ghaib (unseen), but Allâh chooses of His Messengers whom He wills. So believe in Allâh and His Messengers. And if you believe and fear Allâh, then for you there is a great reward. (179)[Surat Al-Imran 3]