Filipino actor Robin Padilla is now Abdul Aziz

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

He's no longer a new Muslim as he has embraced Islam long time ago. Just thought of posting some articles about him.

_______________________________​

Robin Padilla: A changed man
Article posted March 8, 2007
http://www.igma.tv/story/42/Robin-Padilla-A-changed-man

Many have attested that he is a changed man. His bad boy portrayals in ‘90s gangster flicks did become a reality, but after a lesson learned and a change of faith, he emerged as a perfect gentleman, both in words and in action. iGMA sets out to find out if this bad boy is really a reformed rake.

"Hindi naman po natin masisisi 'yung mga tao dahil talagang isang beses sa kabanata ng buhay ko ay dumaan talaga doon," (We really couldn't blame the people as it really reached that stage one time in my life) says "Binoe," who was baptized "Abdul Aziz" after his conversion to Islam. "Ngayon, iyon ay nakalipas na, at ako ay hindi na isang 'boy,' ako'y 'man' na! Napakapangit naman siguro kung maging 'bad man!' Parte na lang ng nakalipas 'yan." (Past is past, besides I'm no longer a "boy". I'm already a "man". "Bad man" doesn't sound right. That's just a part of my past.)

robin.jpg
This was the Robin Padilla we witnessed in Subic (Pampanga), at the set of Asian Treasures -- someone who would rather stand up so the interviewer could sit down; someone who eats with his hands together with the crew; someone who remains humble and approachable despite his celebrity status.

robin2.jpg

Binoe's acting career took off in the ‘90s with certified hits such as Anak ni Baby Ama (1990), Bad Boy (1990), Ang Utol Kong Hoodlum (1991), and Maging Sino Ka Man (1991). But his rising fame was interrupted by his mid-‘90s conviction due to illegal possession of firearms. Apparently, his imprisonment did him wonders, because it was during this time when he was converted to Islam and he changed his outlook in life. After this self-confessed former drug addict was released in 1998, he sported a cleaner and more refined lifestyle, and he immediately revived his showbiz career.

robin3.jpg

His flexibility to adapt to different genres, especially to comedy, action, drama, and romance enabled him to reach a wide audience that transcends social classes. Be it pang- masa or elitista, Robin's charm seems inescapable. That is why his latest foray into primetime TV inevitably raised people's expectations once again, because it’s guaranteed to be no less than a certified hit.

Robin Padilla opens school for Muslim kids
By Marinel Cruz
Inquirer
Last updated 07:48pm (Mla time) 06/02/2007
http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/breakingnews/breakingnews/view_article.php?article_id=69182

MANILA, Philippines -- Controversial action star Robin Padilla, whose conversion to Islam brought him to the southern islands of Basilan and Jolo, has put up a school for Muslim children in the metropolis.

Called Liwanag ng Kapayapaan (light of peace), the 1,100-sq. m. establishment in Fairview, Quezon City is set to open to 30 kids in the preparatory level this month.

Padilla’s scholars will receive free books and uniforms and even school bus rides that the actor has commissioned for the school’s use.

“My visits to Mindanao have made me discover the root of the insurgency problem there. It is the lack of education that makes young Muslims go astray,” the actor said in Filipino.

robin4.jpg

The school will open in time for the full implementation of the Madrasah curriculum, which the Department of Education first offered last year in selected public schools in Metro Manila.

"Madrasah is the Arabic word for Islamic religious school,” Padilla explained to the Inquirer. “It used to be that students of Madrasah were denied entry in exclusive colleges and universities. With the new DepEd directive, they can enroll in any school they want.”

The Madrasah curriculum includes lessons in Arabic language and Islamic values, in addition to regular subjects like English, Math, Science, and Filipino.

The school has employed five teacher aides who have been trained in an international Islamic school in Turkey. The actor said he had wanted to hire teachers from local universities, but it proved too costly.

“It was a good thing that when the administrators of the Fountain International School in Turkey heard of our plan to put up a Muslim school here, they sent word that they were willing to train our teachers for free,” he said.

Padilla is scheduled to fly to Turkey on June 15 to meet with the Turkish school president. He said there will be continuing training of Filipino teacher aides “so that when our prep students advance to Grade 1 next school year, everything will be ready.”

Padilla added that his long-term plan for Liwanag ng Kapayapaan is to put up facilities for high school Muslim students.

“We want to start with just 30 kids,” Padilla said. “The school has programs that we want implemented strictly. We decided not to admit elementary students yet. Gusto kasi namin dito sila lumaki sa amin (We want them to grow up with us).”

Padilla said he believes nurturing begins in prep school. In fact, with the help of a financier, he is trying to build a playground “that has a program patterned after Australia’s system of education.”

“This isn’t your usual playground,” he explained. “For one, it’s worth a million pesos. It’s built in such a way that while playing, the kids can already learn something.”

The recreation area is divided into three sections -- sand, water, and play sections.

“Playing in the sand helps kids imagine and build. The water area is where they can learn to swim. The play area is where they develop social skills while playing with other kids,” Padilla explained.

Apart from this, the school also boasts of state-of-the-art computer and audio-visual rooms. “Hindi kami nahuhuli sa ibang paaralan (We are not behind other schools). Our school has investors backing it up,” said the actor.

Padilla said the students who would get to use these facilities belong to the “poorest of the poor.” To identify them, personnel from the school’s administrative department posted announcements in various Islamic centers in Quezon City.

“We targeted the nearby Culiat, North and West Fairview areas. We were swamped with applicants,” Padilla said. “Since we’re only admitting prep students, our problem was how to turn most of them down knowing that no school would accept them for free.”

But why build a Muslim school in Manila when the majority of Muslim children are in Mindanao?

“When these Muslim families get into trouble in Mindanao, where do they run to hide? Here in Manila, where they meet devious characters that teach them to sell drugs and arms,” he explained. “I see no immediate solution to the problem in Mindanao. Unless the military vacates Mindanao it will not experience peace.”

He said change can begin in the places where these troubled families flee to.

“These families experienced how it was to run away from bullets and cannons. They are angry. Sino’ng gagantihan nila (who will they take revenge on)? Other civilians?” asked Padilla. “If at least one of our 30 students belongs to these families, then all my efforts would not be put to waste.”

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Wa iyyak.

awww Jazakallaahu khayr for remembering me still. Yeah got lots of things going on the past few months akhi. I missed everyone and Alhamdulillaah I've got more time now. Looking forward to posting more stuff. See you around Insha Allaah!

:salam2:

JazakAllah khair.
It has been a long time since i last heard from you....

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

:salam2:

Great story! Jazak Allah khair it is so nice to hear that he opened an Islamic school with free books and all. If I had the money, I would do that. Again thanks for the article! :hijabi:

:wasalam:
Sarah

nasiruyola

:mashallah: NO ONE IS COMPARABLE TO MY GOD IN HIS MERCY AND BLESSINGS. HE GUIDE AND CHOSE WHOEVER HE WISHES AND ERASE FOR HIM ALL DIFFICULTIES ON HIS PATH TO PARADISE.
JAZAKUMULLAHU KHAIRAN JAMI'AN
hurul-ein; said:
Assalamu alaikum,

He's no longer a new Muslim as he has embraced Islam long time ago. Just thought of posting some articles about him.

Robin Padilla: A changed man
Article posted March 8, 2007
http://www.igma.tv/story/42/Robin-Padilla-A-changed-man

Many have attested that he is a changed man. His bad boy portrayals in ‘90s gangster flicks did become a reality, but after a lesson learned and a change of faith, he emerged as a perfect gentleman, both in words and in action. iGMA sets out to find out if this bad boy is really a reformed rake.

"Hindi naman po natin masisisi 'yung mga tao dahil talagang isang beses sa kabanata ng buhay ko ay dumaan talaga doon," (We really couldn't blame the people as it really reached that stage one time in my life) says "Binoe," who was baptized "Abdul Aziz" after his conversion to Islam. "Ngayon, iyon ay nakalipas na, at ako ay hindi na isang 'boy,' ako'y 'man' na! Napakapangit naman siguro kung maging 'bad man!' Parte na lang ng nakalipas 'yan." (Past is past, besides I'm no longer a "boy". I'm already a "man". "Bad man" doesn't sound right. That's just a part of my past.)

robin.jpg
This was the Robin Padilla we witnessed in Subic (Pampanga), at the set of Asian Treasures -- someone who would rather stand up so the interviewer could sit down; someone who eats with his hands together with the crew; someone who remains humble and approachable despite his celebrity status.

robin2.jpg

Binoe's acting career took off in the ‘90s with certified hits such as Anak ni Baby Ama (1990), Bad Boy (1990), Ang Utol Kong Hoodlum (1991), and Maging Sino Ka Man (1991). But his rising fame was interrupted by his mid-‘90s conviction due to illegal possession of firearms. Apparently, his imprisonment did him wonders, because it was during this time when he was converted to Islam and he changed his outlook in life. After this self-confessed former drug addict was released in 1998, he sported a cleaner and more refined lifestyle, and he immediately revived his showbiz career.

robin3.jpg

His flexibility to adapt to different genres, especially to comedy, action, drama, and romance enabled him to reach a wide audience that transcends social classes. Be it pang- masa or elitista, Robin's charm seems inescapable. That is why his latest foray into primetime TV inevitably raised people's expectations once again, because it’s guaranteed to be no less than a certified hit.

Robin Padilla opens school for Muslim kids
By Marinel Cruz
Inquirer
Last updated 07:48pm (Mla time) 06/02/2007
http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/breakingnews/breakingnews/view_article.php?article_id=69182

MANILA, Philippines -- Controversial action star Robin Padilla, whose conversion to Islam brought him to the southern islands of Basilan and Jolo, has put up a school for Muslim children in the metropolis.

Called Liwanag ng Kapayapaan (light of peace), the 1,100-sq. m. establishment in Fairview, Quezon City is set to open to 30 kids in the preparatory level this month.

Padilla’s scholars will receive free books and uniforms and even school bus rides that the actor has commissioned for the school’s use.

“My visits to Mindanao have made me discover the root of the insurgency problem there. It is the lack of education that makes young Muslims go astray,” the actor said in Filipino.

robin4.jpg

The school will open in time for the full implementation of the Madrasah curriculum, which the Department of Education first offered last year in selected public schools in Metro Manila.

"Madrasah is the Arabic word for Islamic religious school,” Padilla explained to the Inquirer. “It used to be that students of Madrasah were denied entry in exclusive colleges and universities. With the new DepEd directive, they can enroll in any school they want.”

The Madrasah curriculum includes lessons in Arabic language and Islamic values, in addition to regular subjects like English, Math, Science, and Filipino.

The school has employed five teacher aides who have been trained in an international Islamic school in Turkey. The actor said he had wanted to hire teachers from local universities, but it proved too costly.

“It was a good thing that when the administrators of the Fountain International School in Turkey heard of our plan to put up a Muslim school here, they sent word that they were willing to train our teachers for free,” he said.

Padilla is scheduled to fly to Turkey on June 15 to meet with the Turkish school president. He said there will be continuing training of Filipino teacher aides “so that when our prep students advance to Grade 1 next school year, everything will be ready.”

Padilla added that his long-term plan for Liwanag ng Kapayapaan is to put up facilities for high school Muslim students.

“We want to start with just 30 kids,” Padilla said. “The school has programs that we want implemented strictly. We decided not to admit elementary students yet. Gusto kasi namin dito sila lumaki sa amin (We want them to grow up with us).”

Padilla said he believes nurturing begins in prep school. In fact, with the help of a financier, he is trying to build a playground “that has a program patterned after Australia’s system of education.”

“This isn’t your usual playground,” he explained. “For one, it’s worth a million pesos. It’s built in such a way that while playing, the kids can already learn something.”

The recreation area is divided into three sections -- sand, water, and play sections.

“Playing in the sand helps kids imagine and build. The water area is where they can learn to swim. The play area is where they develop social skills while playing with other kids,” Padilla explained.

Apart from this, the school also boasts of state-of-the-art computer and audio-visual rooms. “Hindi kami nahuhuli sa ibang paaralan (We are not behind other schools). Our school has investors backing it up,” said the actor.

Padilla said the students who would get to use these facilities belong to the “poorest of the poor.” To identify them, personnel from the school’s administrative department posted announcements in various Islamic centers in Quezon City.

“We targeted the nearby Culiat, North and West Fairview areas. We were swamped with applicants,” Padilla said. “Since we’re only admitting prep students, our problem was how to turn most of them down knowing that no school would accept them for free.”

But why build a Muslim school in Manila when the majority of Muslim children are in Mindanao?

“When these Muslim families get into trouble in Mindanao, where do they run to hide? Here in Manila, where they meet devious characters that teach them to sell drugs and arms,” he explained. “I see no immediate solution to the problem in Mindanao. Unless the military vacates Mindanao it will not experience peace.”

He said change can begin in the places where these troubled families flee to.

“These families experienced how it was to run away from bullets and cannons. They are angry. Sino’ng gagantihan nila (who will they take revenge on)? Other civilians?” asked Padilla. “If at least one of our 30 students belongs to these families, then all my efforts would not be put to waste.”