western media

blackivy393

i notice some people express distrust in the western media, believing many stories are fabricated. if you dont believe western media or stories are falsified, what media do you trust? and how do you go about getting truthful information about current events in the world ?

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
:salam2:
all media is biased, ALL of it. the best thing is to watch media from the west and the east and you'll find the truth somewhere in between inshAllah

halah

Asslamu alaikum wa rahamatu'llah,

Welcome back sister ,it's nice to have here once again.

:SMILY206::SMILY206::SMILY206:

Amir_of_spain

Basically the media has little bits of truth mixed with large proportions of lies, misinformation and propaganda. How i go about finding the truth is through RESEARCH!
Because thatsthe only way to gain deeper insight.

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
I personally dont listen much to the media for all the reasons mentioned above. I prefer the internet as it is more independent. I listent to multiple sources and build my own picture of the event. I rarely watch TV.

Also, I dont let the media set my thinking/interest agenda. We are often at danger of keeping ourselves busy with the "headlines". Those are often handpicked to shape what we should be interested in when much more important things to us might be happening else where. This is a particular advantage for the internet.

i notice some people express distrust in the western media, believing many stories are fabricated. if you dont believe western media or stories are falsified, what media do you trust? and how do you go about getting truthful information about current events in the world ?

well we jz dont believe in each and every word they say...like the saudi rape case its like such a huge story n this n that...in the us being raped or molested is as common as killing a fly why dont they stress that on the news??is there a prob with that story??...i believe in the outlines of the story like the us attacking iraq but i dont believe in stuff like iraq had WMD which was so much focused on in the news such as fox

well we jz dont believe in each and every word they say...like the saudi rape case its like such a huge story n this n that...in the us being raped or molested is as common as killing a fly why dont they stress that on the news??is there a prob with that story??...i believe in the outlines of the story like the us attacking iraq but i dont believe in stuff like iraq had WMD which was so much focused on in the news such as fox

Good input once again.

That saudi case was so huge because the victim was also punished . LOL
Im pretty sure rape cases in the US do make it on the News(TV/Newspaper)

We shouldnt always look at America or the West to justify our actions.

Hello,

You have brought up a very interesting topic. May God help carve the way and show you the path to truth.

Media writers and anchors all have "big bosses" at the top of the ladder that wants them to protray stories in a certain way that will keep everything in shape with the overall prospective of that media channel. After all, it's all about keeping the big bosses on top happy, and knowing you'll get that year end bonus check. Every media has a corporate mission & statement and how it wants the public to view them.

Stereotypes and misconceptions about Islam, in particular, in the media is rooted prejudice and ignorance.

A major factor which contributes to Islamic stereotyping in the West is due to the media’s ignorance of selecting their words that describe Muslims. Some common names heard or seen in the news about Muslims are "extremist," "terrorist," "fundamentalist," or "jihadist." These words are misleading and are mainly anti-Islamic. The media rarely uses more neutral terms such as "revivalist" or "progressives."

For example, jihad literally means "The struggle in the path of God", or "holy war". However, the Western media often abuses the meaning of jihad by referring to it as a holy war where Muslims unreasonably kill non-believers. But the fact is, is that jihad can mean a numbers of things that a Muslim does for the sake of God. Rarely has the Western media used this kind of a definition in their reports. The way the media represents jihad is wrong. The media often takes the word "jihad" out of context to propagate negative views on Islam. A student striving for top grades, individuals pursuing for equality and justice for all people, honoring your parents, a mother giving birth to a child, eating, and even simply sleeping can all be considered jihad.

The media helps to make an image of Islam to unsuspecting audiences. The Western public often is misinformed about Muslims through the images on television, motion picture screens, magazines, radios, and comic strips in newspapers, which promote strong messages among their audiences. All these mass communication tools are used to build a distorted image in the mind of uinformed audiences.

The Islamic world is poorly represented in the West in terms of press and media coverage. Not only are there just handfuls of news agencies in Muslim countries; there is the concern over the number of inexperienced reporters. Many reporters don’t understand the local cultures nor speak the language, leaving them with access to only those English or French speaking Westernized elites. Thus their representation is often a biased account of the political and social events from the point of view of the ruling minority in Muslim countries.

Aside from the fact that the media misrepresents Islam because of ignorance, the media is also a profit-seeking organization which often seeks to create a false image of reality. Islam is often news of an unpleasant sort for the general public of the United States. Islam has often been presented as a menace or a threat to the West. Bashing 'hot topics' like Islam is used as a way to make profit for media stations.

Westerners will eventually learn the truth about Islam and find out that these negative stereotypes are incorrect. It is possible that Islam will become one of the biggest religions in the United States. Islam is the most peaceful religion in world. IIf you want to know about Islam ask Muslims. Stick around TTI and you'll learn not just about the Western media but the core teachings and beliefs of Islam.

Peace

hager

well

well about media
i learn in my school..cuz,i'm archeology student...
that we have to make compartive between everything around us...
so,i make it with media..
i listen to all chancel..see them
then i log in interent,trying to figure out the truth

blackivy393

yea, fox news is biased. its is an ok source of news if you're like republican , cuz many of the stories are swayed conservatively. but sometimes 2 me its gets annoying cuz the the news isnt objectified and news anchors give their opinons. and if im goin 2 watch opinion hour show i would, and when i want 2 watch the news, i want 2 be able 2 watch the news.

blackivy393

A major factor which contributes to Islamic stereotyping in the West is due to the media’s ignorance of selecting their words that describe Muslims. Some common names heard or seen in the news about Muslims are "extremist," "terrorist," "fundamentalist," or "jihadist." These words are misleading and are mainly anti-Islamic. The media rarely uses more neutral terms such as "revivalist" or "progressives."

i think it depends on who is viewing the news. when i see the news and are they talking about " islamic terrorists" i know they are talkin about people blowing themselves up or Osama bin laden. the problem is they never show anything positive on the news about muslims. No offense to our white brothers and sisters, but since most of USA is white, white americans in our country's history especially if not around other cultures have based all their opinions of different groups with only what they have seen on the news or tv.

but i do believe there are those who do try 2 subbatoge islam on purpose. (when i say this dont go start hating all christians because we're not all like this, yes i am a christian!! ) but there are some christian books out there saying muslims who dont believe in terrorism etc, dont really practice islam correctly or theyre confused about their religion. cuz killing people who are not muslim is true islam. or some christian shows i feel try 2 degrade islam or show this negative picture to discourage people from converting, which i think is stupid because if you're goin 2 encourage people to join your religion, thats what you should do, not bash other people so people stick with your religion , or that chrisitianity is all that is left.

i think it depends on who is viewing the news. when i see the news and are they talking about " islamic terrorists" i know they are talkin about people blowing themselves up or Osama bin laden.

Hello Ivy,

This is exactly what I mean! "Islamic terrorists" is an oxymoron. How can you associate the word Islam with terrorism. Islam forbids terrorism!

As kind and open as you are, you'll be suprised to find that many people are quite the opposite. Many closed and ignorant people generalize one example on the news to a whole group of people, especially Islam.

GAZIJA

Staff member
Good input once again.

That saudi case was so huge because the victim was also punished . LOL
Im pretty sure rape cases in the US do make it on the News(TV/Newspaper)

We shouldnt always look at America or the West to justify our actions.

Brother Waseem Hanif did you get my message???????????

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
I personally dont listen much to the media for all the reasons mentioned above. I prefer the internet as it is more independent. .

Becareful just because the internet is independent does not mean that the creator of a site does not have a hidden agenda or a certain biased, as you will learn even this site has it's biased.

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Becareful just because the internet is independent does not mean that the creator of a site does not have a hidden agenda or a certain biased, as you will learn even this site has it's biased.

Thank you for your advice. It is for this reason why -if I need to ascertain something- I'd look at sources that have bias in different directions. I also look for the untold parts of the story as -many times- they are more important than the reported ones.

I have to say that I'm becoming increasingly cynical about the news. I think it keeps us busy with things that are not really that important. People can spend hours every day debating political/economic or even fashion and celebrity issues and not 5 minutes pondering about their lives and the meaning of their existence.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Islam teaches us to be rational and logical. We know in this day and time the kuffur will do anything to blemish Islam. We know that the traditional of the Prophet (swas) has taught us to judge with the heart. If you read something or view something and it unsettles your heart it is wrong.
For those of you who have not read the novel 1984 please do. For those of you who have not read the posts of taxhonesty please do. Watch End Game. It is on youtube. The media is the puppet of those who choose to oppress. They oppress everyone. It is not a matter of black and white. Evil has no color. It is evil. The sons of the shaytans and their servants give us a beautiful illusion.
As to the person who stated America is white. Read. It never has been white nor will it ever be. That is what the oppressors wish us to believe so we can fight each other.
As long as one Muslim believes that the political detainees committed a crime we are no better than the oppressors.
We can not believe anything they say. It is as simple as that.

aisha-uk

i actually think that bbc is more the liable than the other 2, but then again i don't put my trust in their hands...

where ever it is possible, i try to get the info from people who are actually in the situation or have been in it..