Is this allowed in islam??

Jasmiah

Salam alykum,

I have a very good friend who has been together with her partner for 7 years.
They have 2 children together and have been married for the last 3 years.

1 year ago she reverted to Islam!! Allhamdulilah!!
Although she has reverted her partner says it is something that he would never do.

Is it haram for her to stay with him??
:girl3:

Muslimah99

Bosnian Muslimah
so her partner the muslim has lived with her OUTSIDE of the frames of marriage, but they have been married for three years? Obviously that partner has sinned a lot and doesn't regret anything, but her past is forgiven!
However I am not a scholar so I can not really give an answer!

Her partner is a muslim? or? If he is not, then of course it is haram!

amy

Im not 100% sure with this, but as far as i am aware it is not allowed for a Muslim woman and a non Muslim man to be together.
Especially when there are children involved as i wuld imagine it would be very confusing for the children, would they be raised as muslims or not??
Surely if the husband is a non believer he would have something to say about his children being raised as muslims, and vice versa. Overall i think the children would be raised amongst a lot of confusion. and even if they were to be raised muslim there faith may not be as strong.

My advice would be to talk with scholars, But remember Allah knows best!!

Good luck xx

Jasmiah

so her partner the muslim has lived with her OUTSIDE of the frames of marriage, but they have been married for three years? Obviously that partner has sinned a lot and doesn't regret anything, but her past is forgiven!
However I am not a scholar so I can not really give an answer!

Her partner is a muslim? or? If he is not, then of course it is haram!

salam
My firend is the female and both her and her partner were non belivers, they diddnt follow any religion. They are married and have children now.

Although my friend (the woman) has found the truth and has emabraced Islam last year.

Although the sister is muslim her husband has no intentions of becoming muslim.

Where does that leave the sister?? should she divorce her husband and leave her children without a father??

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
salam
My firend is the female and both her and her partner were non belivers, they diddnt follow any religion. They are married and have children now.

Although my friend (the woman) has found the truth and has emabraced Islam last year.

Although the sister is muslim her husband has no intentions of becoming muslim.

Where does that leave the sister?? should she divorce her husband and leave her children without a father??
assalamo alaikum..

I think the best thing you can do sister is...finding a masjid near by and speaking to an Imam there..or consulting a Alim or Shaikh regarding the issue..

though many of the members here have wonderful knowledge on numerous issues..the issue you are speaking of is *extremely critical*..and cannot be open to discussion through "personal opinion"..as it involves a marriage..children..and the well-being of a new revert and a mother and her children..

it is still up to you whether or not you want to seek an answer from here..but like I said..this issue is CRITICAL..so a Alim or a Shaikh or an Imam would do a much better job as they would leave no room for personal opinion in their verdict..

and Allah knows best in the end..

May Allah guide you and your friend to a solution..and May Allah guide this man's heart towards Islam for his own salvation and for the sake of his wife and his children..

wa alaikum assalam

dianne

Salam sister,

Since your friend converted to Islam and her husband was not,It is considered cancelled for a marriage.
its only muslim husband can continue his marriage to christian women (wife) - ahli kitab.
im sure theres a sister or brother will explain it to u.insyaallah

wassalam

q8penpals

Salam

Seems to me we had a similar conversation on TTI before, where someone posted the distinction between GETTING married to a Non-Muslim man, and the women who were ALREADY married to a Non-muslim man when the woman became Muslim.

I couldn't find the post - maybe someone else can? But I seem to recall that there were women in the Prophet's time that became Muslim before their husbands and the marriages were not canceled.

And isn't there some thought as to what it will do to the family unit (the parents/kids) if the parents (who apparently still love each other and get along) split up for this reason? It may cause the children to hate Islam because Islam made their parents split up?

I am not giving any rulings or suggestions. I am just posting a request to find the past postings and some of my thoughts.

Lana

Sa'diyah

If the husband had converted to Islam instead of the wife, and it would be ok for them to stay together, then why not the same if the wife convert to Islam and the husband not. I am sure they can work it out. Divorce in this case is not acceptable. I mean if they love each other, respect each other and are willing to compromise with each other, then why not. It does not make any sense to me.

So what does she do now, divorce him and try to find a muslim man who will accept her with 2 children and love those children as their father does. And now the husband tries to find another wife who is NOT muslim.

proudmuslimah

A Little Piece of Advice

Marriage is a sacred union and should not be compromised no matter what. In my opinion the best thing your friend can do is keep her family together. She will be a shining light of truth for her family, and inshAllah her husband will convert in the future.

In the Quran it says that a Muslim woman should marry a Muslim man, because the man is responsible for the religious upbringing of his family. It does not say however that if a woman converts to Islam during her marriage to a non-muslim man that she should get a divorce. Remember brothers and sisters the family is the foundation of our faith.

If your friend was not married and simply together then I would say she should seek out a Muslim man.

My Allah grant your friend wisdom and guidance.

dianne

If the husband had converted to Islam instead of the wife, and it would be ok for them to stay together, then why not the same if the wife convert to Islam and the husband not. I am sure they can work it out. Divorce in this case is not acceptable. I mean if they love each other, respect each other and are willing to compromise with each other, then why not. It does not make any sense to me.

So what does she do now, divorce him and try to find a muslim man who will accept her with 2 children and love those children as their father does. And now the husband tries to find another wife who is NOT muslim.

Sister,u need to understands of Islam law and read al quran,hadith.It is clear answer in Islam religion & sunnah.

Question:
I know that Muslim women are not allowed in Islam to marry non-Muslim men; there is a sister on a converts list who recently became Muslim and who was asking what to do regarding her non-Muslim husband who accepted her conversion without any problems and who also lets her educate the children the Islamic way. However, when she asked for an advice, most of us told her that the husband has to take shahada or she should not remained married to him otherwise. Unfortunately, some other people don't believe so and advised her the opposite way, that she just should remain with the husband and so on,.... I would like you to send me concrete cases at the time of the Prophet (SAW) where Muslim women (sahabyate) would leave their non-Muslim husbands if those decided not to convert. I think those cases would be the only proof to convince the people of that list that Muslim women are not allowed to marry or remain married to non-Muslims men even though they are not against the woman's conversion.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

What you have said in your question about it being haraam for a Muslim woman to marry a kaafir man is correct, and there is no doubt concerning that.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al-Mushrikoon till they believe” [al-Baqarah 2:221]

Al-Qurtubi said:

“ ‘And give not (your daughters) in marriage’ means, do not give Muslim women in marriage to Mushrik men. The ummah is agreed that a Mushrik should not marry a Muslim woman because this is like putting Islam in an inferior position. (Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 3/72).

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“They are not lawful (wives) for the disbelievers nor are the disbelievers lawful (husbands) for them” [al-Mumtahanah 60:10]

Al-Bukhaari (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Chapter: when a mushrik or Christian woman who is married to a dhimmi (non-Muslim living under Muslim rule) or a harbi (non-Muslim belonging to a people who are hostile towards Islam) becomes Muslim. ‘Abd al-Waarith said, narrating from Khaalid from ‘Ikrimah from Ibn ‘Abbaas: if a Christian woman becomes Muslim shortly before her husband, she is forbidden for him… Mujaahid said: if he becomes Muslim during the ‘iddah [waiting period following divorce], then he may (re)marry her. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “They are not lawful (wives) for the disbelievers nor are the disbelievers lawful (husbands) for them” [al-Mumtahanah 60:10]. Al-Hasan and Qutaadah said concerning two Magians who became Muslim that their marriage was still valid. If one of them had become Muslim and the other had refused, the woman would have been divorced and he would no longer have any rights over her.

(Saheeh al-Bukhaari. See al-Fath, 9/421).

Examples of such women include:

Zaynab, the daughter of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). She was married to Abu’l-‘Aas ibn al-Rabee’ during the Jaahiliyyah, but when she became Muslim, their marriage was annulled, and she went and stayed with her father (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). When her husband became Muslim, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) sent her back to him.

(Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1143; Abu Dawood, 2240; Ibn Maajah, 2009; classed as saheeh by Imaam Ahmad, 1789. Al-Tirmidhi said, there is nothing wrong with its isnaad).

The correct view is that the husband can go back to her with no need to renew the marriage contract.

If the woman is still in her ‘iddah, he has more right (than anyone else) to marry her. If her ‘iddah has ended, she is free to choose whether to go back to him or not.

Al-Tirmidhi said:

On the basis of this hadeeth, the scholars said that if a woman becomes Muslim before her husband, then her husband becomes Muslim whilst she is still in her ‘iddah, then the husband has more right to her whilst she is still in her ‘iddah. This is the view of Maalik ibn Anas, al-Oozaa’i, al-Shaafa’i, Ahmad and Ishaaq.

(Sunan al-Tirmidhi, Hadeeth 1142).

Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said:

There is no dispute among the scholars concerning the fact that if a kaafir woman becomes Muslim then her ‘iddah ends, her husband has no rights concerning her if he has not become Muslim during her ‘iddah.

(Al-Tamheed, 12/23).

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

But what the ruling of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) indicates is that the marriage comes to a halt. If he becomes Muslim before the end of her ‘iddah, then she is (still) his wife, but if her ‘iddah ends, then she may marry whomever she wants. If she likes, she can wait for him, and if he becomes Muslim she is his wife and there is no need to renew the marriage contract.

(Zaad al-Ma’aad, 5/137, 138)

Al-Qurtubi said:

Talhah ibn ‘Ubayd-Allaah was married to Arwaa bint Rabee’ah ibn al-Haarith ibn ‘Abd al-Muttalib. They were separated by Islam, then in Islam Khaalid ibn Sa’eed ibn al-‘Aas married her. She was one of the [Muslim] wives of the kuffaar who fled to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) kept her in Madinah and married her to Khaalid.

(Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 18/65, 66)

It was reported that Anas said: Abu Talhah married Umm Sulaym and the mahr between them was Islam. Umm Sulaym became Muslim before Abu Talhah. He proposed marriage to her and she said, “I have become Muslim. If you become Muslim I will marry you.” So he became Muslim and that was the mahr between them.

(Narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 3340)

The daughter of al-Waleed ibn al-Magheerah, the wife of Safwaan ibn Umayyah, became Muslim before him, and the marriage was annulled. Then he became Muslim later on, and she went back to him. It was narrated by Maalik in al-Muwatta’, 1132. Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said: I do not know of any unbroken saheeh isnaad for this hadeeth, but it is famous and well known to the scholars of seerah, Ibn Shihaab, the leader of the scholars of seerah, and al-Shu’bi. The fame of this hadeeth is stronger than its isnaad in sha Allaah.

(al-Tamheed, 12/19)

Umm Hakeem bint al-Haarith ibn Hishaam, the wife of ‘Ikrimah ibn Abi Jahl. Her marriage was annulled, then he became Muslim during her ‘iddah, so she went back to her husband.

(Narrated by Ibn Abi Shaybah in al-Musannaf, 4/107)

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

wassalamualaikum

Umm_Ibrahim

La Ilaha Ilalah
If they were marriage before she revert so is not haram, inshAllah he will revert too, she should make dawah for him

AnAngelofWood

Thankful for my deen
Based on Original question

I have read all of the responses including the one bearing examples of women who had become Muslim after having already being married to a non-Muslim. However, in those examples it was not clear if these women had children with their non-Muslim husbands. Are there examples which would give a clear indication of what is required of a woman who comes to Islam after marriage to a non-Muslim with which she has had a child or children?

ahmedhelmi

if she muslim and him cristian or catholic or ......... its wrong to be with him (knowladge allah have it ) but if she agree he will be muslim its okey and i will ask some shaikh for you .

ahmedhelmi

:salam2:

Is it haram for her to stay with him??

yes , is it haram her stay with him , she allready divorced from him when she became muslim . sha must leave him and allah send to her best of him .
:tti_sister: litany is changing the destiny

:wasalam:

Babur Ul Islam

If One Partner embraces Islam nd the other one continues to be a non muslim the marriage becomes void.nd its haram to stay for such partners.

shichemlydia

answer

salam alikoum sister,
be sure sister, in islam we do not have this notion called partner, we have husband and wife, only
of course, it is haram for a muslim woman to be married to a non-muslim one.
wa salam alikoum

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

Dear brothers and sisters, I'm seeing responses here being made by some which lack any proof. Further yet, people are answering freely and rather carelessly about these issues. Issues which if the companions of the Prophet, `alayhi salaatu wassa-alaam, were to be asked about, they would have said otherwise. When `Ikrimah Ibn Abi Jahl was still a disbeliever, he fled from Makkah at around the time of its conquest. He met his wife someway along his travels who when he tried to approach her, she refused and said that he is forbidden to her. Her reason for this is because she took her shahaadah. Some time later, `Ikrimah returned to the Messenger, sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam and embraced Islaam... The story can be read in "Commanders of the Muslim Army" published by Darussalam. Anyway the fataawaa of the scholars are alhamdulillaah, clear on this issue. In a delicate issue like this it's not for us to give and act upon our opinions, especially if we contradict the ruling/s of the matter in Islaam when stating or acting upon them.

Was-salaam