I'm a non- Hijab women

Hasibah

:salam2:
I need advice and please don post the Quranic verse and say you must.
It really is not that simple for me.
I live in a city where a few women have been harassed for wearing it and when I did attempt to wear it, I was spit at and that was only a year ago.
I really am fearful ; but I also know I must.
To the sisters; What keeps you wearing hijab or keeps you from hijab.

Peace and blessings

B.H.

You are in Alabama, one of the most backward states in the United States.

I doubt law enforcement will be of any help. the police and sheriff departments there are fairly ineffective and corrupt and play along with the general public's prejudices.

Can you emmigrate to a better state like Texas or Tennessee? Civil rights laws and the constitution of the US are enforced better in those states.

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression
You are in Alabama, one of the most backward states in the United States.

I doubt law enforcement will be of any help. the police and sheriff departments there are fairly ineffective and corrupt and play along with the general public's prejudices.

Can you emmigrate to a better state like Texas or Tennessee? Civil rights laws and the constitution of the US are enforced better in those states.

I lived in Nashville, Tennessee for about 10 years. There are a lot of Kurdish families here and a lot of them wear Hijabs. If you are looking to keep in the south, TN isn't a bad option to consider.

I'm sorry to hear that you were spit at for wearing it. It kinda offends me, even though I'm a brother.

Shahzad

sister hasibah : its sad to hear wat happened wid u on wearing hijab. Just keep on wearing it and consult police or send this to international media.

US always portrays it self as moderate nation but reality is that they are so so racist.
May ALLAH be with you

Faiza619

Strangers on earth
Sister do not fear

I live in a city where a few women have been harassed for wearing it and when I did attempt to wear it, I was spit at and that was only a year ago.

Peace and blessings

Sister do not fear men because Allah is with you and their is no better protector than him.Always read the aadhkaar. (duaah) they help a lot.
Just remember that the prophet (S.A.W.) was stoned and demeened in public but he never gave up. in fact he continued his mission knowing that Allah is always with him.
May Allah strengthen our eemaan:tti_sister:
Just remember your TTI family is here with you.
We are your shoulder to cry on.
Dont give up. Always remember Allah is with you wherever you go and whatever you do.

:wasalam:

palestine

Servant of Allah
saalam

Peace and blessings
:salam2: dearest sister, i won't use verses of the quran or hadith, i'll use my own experiences. Firstly i was born muslim, and raised muslim. i came all the way from africa to america. My experiences in america led me to become stronger, wiser, and much more patient. i started school in second grade....and kids had despised me, mocked me, teased me, and even like u said they spat on me. I didn't exactly have friends....i was the outcast, the alien, the foreigner...the one without friends. why? because of my hijab, because i had stuck to do my daily prayers, because i believed in Allah. Kids would play in groups while i would stand against the wall on the school, talking to noone but just standing there till the bell rang. yes i was just a second grader....but it didn't stop there, it continued till now, a 9th grader. i was picked on the bus, picked in school, picked in the playground.....the only place that i was safe was in my home. yes, home sweet home. I was surrounded in the girls locker gym for wearing hijab, for speaking a different language. they tried to attack me and my friend, the only two black girls in teh class, the only two muslim girls. we stuck with each other, we defended each other although we were outnumbered. We were accused and blamed and taken to the office to be reported for having threatened or sworen at the other girls. that was just last year. Dear sister, it's not just you and me that are bothered, it's all of the muslim women wherever they may be. But you see, no matter the odds, we still must continue to stand up for our rights. sure you'll be the outcast, or that weirdo....but akhira they won't help you. hijab is a symbol of our faith, we must be proud of it and not be afraid to wear it outside our homes. Let them spit and stare.....your justice you'll earn on the day of judgement and they'll be the fools. i still wear my hijab, and inshaAllah i don't plan to take it off even if it puts me in danger. i promise you that you'll become stronger by not fearing these people and by wearing your hijab. You'll be recognized every where you and eventually earn respect. Even teachers ask us to take off in gym class but we've refused, if we let them degrade us and make us step down from our deen, then we are no better than them. that's why we must stick to our way of life, even if it's dangerous. our sisters in kosova, in somalia, in palestine....they are beaten to death just for wearing a hijab....so let's not be afraid, let's gain our strength back and lets show them who we truly are. one more example: few weeks ago in somalia, when the ethiopian armies who are still there were torturing the people they captured two somali girls who were fully clothed in their hijabs. despite the beatings they still hung on to their hijabs. the soldiers took them and they took out the eyes of the girls and stripped of their clothings, and they made them walk in the hot sun without clothes, while blind. so let me ask you....those sisters are dying because of who they are and how they dress......should we really then give up? sister absolutely no. inshaAllah i hope u do wear the hijab and i hope you'll see that it's worth wearing no matter what the situation. salam. sorry if i was offensive in any way. that was not my intention.:tti_sister:

halah

:salam2: dearest sister, i won't use verses of the quran or hadith, i'll use my own experiences. Firstly i was born muslim, and raised muslim. i came all the way from africa to america. My experiences in america led me to become stronger, wiser, and much more patient. i started school in second grade....and kids had despised me, mocked me, teased me, and even like u said they spat on me. I didn't exactly have friends....i was the outcast, the alien, the foreigner...the one without friends. why? because of my hijab, because i had stuck to do my daily prayers, because i believed in Allah. Kids would play in groups while i would stand against the wall on the school, talking to noone but just standing there till the bell rang. yes i was just a second grader....but it didn't stop there, it continued till now, a 9th grader. i was picked on the bus, picked in school, picked in the playground.....the only place that i was safe was in my home. yes, home sweet home. I was surrounded in the girls locker gym for wearing hijab, for speaking a different language. they tried to attack me and my friend, the only two black girls in teh class, the only two muslim girls. we stuck with each other, we defended each other although we were outnumbered. We were accused and blamed and taken to the office to be reported for having threatened or sworen at the other girls. that was just last year. Dear sister, it's not just you and me that are bothered, it's all of the muslim women wherever they may be. But you see, no matter the odds, we still must continue to stand up for our rights. sure you'll be the outcast, or that weirdo....but akhira they won't help you. hijab is a symbol of our faith, we must be proud of it and not be afraid to wear it outside our homes. Let them spit and stare.....your justice you'll earn on the day of judgement and they'll be the fools. i still wear my hijab, and inshaAllah i don't plan to take it off even if it puts me in danger. i promise you that you'll become stronger by not fearing these people and by wearing your hijab. You'll be recognized every where you and eventually earn respect. Even teachers ask us to take off in gym class but we've refused, if we let them degrade us and make us step down from our deen, then we are no better than them. that's why we must stick to our way of life, even if it's dangerous. our sisters in kosova, in somalia, in palestine....they are beaten to death just for wearing a hijab....so let's not be afraid, let's gain our strength back and lets show them who we truly are. one more example: few weeks ago in somalia, when the ethiopian armies who are still there were torturing the people they captured two somali girls who were fully clothed in their hijabs. despite the beatings they still hung on to their hijabs. the soldiers took them and they took out the eyes of the girls and stripped of their clothings, and they made them walk in the hot sun without clothes, while blind. so let me ask you....those sisters are dying because of who they are and how they dress......should we really then give up? sister absolutely no. inshaAllah i hope u do wear the hijab and i hope you'll see that it's worth wearing no matter what the situation. salam. sorry if i was offensive in any way. that was not my intention.:tti_sister:

:salam2:Masha'Allah well said dear sister,May Allah strengthen your faith and firm your heart on the straight path(ameen).

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
MashAllah I commend those of you hijabis who have to live surrounded by such extreme levels of intolerance. Alhamdulillah in New York City, we don't have this problem as you have people from all over the world here who bring their practices with them. It's ironic really because when you think about it, out of all the states in the U.S., it should be New York as the most intolerant (i.e. 9/11 occurring in NYC) but it's actually one of the most tolerant and alhamdulillah I've never had a problem. I mean sure you get the occasional stares and a glare every now and then but most people here are just curious. I've had people ask me why I wear that "scarf" on my head and I just have to remember it's an opportunity for dawah. I usually never remember that lol.

A tendency that I possess, sometimes unfortunate, is that based on the experiences that I've had in the past, I'm very defensive and abrasive regarding anything that I feel threatens me. For a long time I lived in a state of paranoia thinking that any look I got from people instantly meant that they were staring at my hijab and automatically thinking "terrorist." Combined with my defensive streak, I unintentionally give off a persona that people find "cold" initially. Some call it confidence; others call it coldness. Neither is my intention, I guess I've just subconsciously let my once-necessary defensive streak remain with me without knowing it. At first it bothered me that people believed me to be cold but it also kept away the types of people that I initially had trouble keeping away.

I'm not saying display abrasiveness or any type of defensive streak whatsoever, but it's my personal experience that showing confidence and a lack of concern for what other people think, not only gets people to back off and leave you alone but in some cases, they also start to respect you. When you show the world that their opinions and pressures mean nothing to you and you display your own sense of "style", people start to respect you, not just because you're sticking to your own values in the midst of this "anarchy" but also because you're displaying a tendency that most people lack and that is confidence. Whether people like to admit it or not, they're insecure about something. But it's a known fact that girls who wear hijab have higher levels of self-esteem than those who don't and this is a fact that I've observed to be true personally. Wearing the hijab makes you realize you're following a commandment of Allah and you feel proud of that. Believe me.

In addition to this, you have to remember that these people (whom we feel we have to please just in order to get them to back off) are not going to help us on the Day of Judgment when we have to answer for our own actions. Before I started wearing my hijab, I had to tell myself that. The very people I was trying to conform to initially, were the ones that would abandon me on the Day of Judgment. I had to remember that I was accountable for my own actions and despite all their pressures, they would abandon me to save themselves. Thus, they could all jump off a cliff for all I care.

Last, but not least, (and something I learned after joining this forum), we should always strive to be strangers in this world. It's not our world and so we should not get comfortable. This is something that I constantly strive to implement in my life everyday as it's a fairly recent statement for me as well. The Prophet (PBUH) had so many experiences where he alone was the sole righteous being in a town of unbelievers who would harass him to the utmost extremes that we today can't even begin to imagine enduring. As a Muslim, we should try to copy his every example and this includes the example of allowing oneself to be shunned by the world for the sake of Allah. At least, that's what I tell myself when trying to take the next step towards perfecting my Islam. Every glare, every curse, every spit attempt can be interpreted as a way of our coming closer to what the Prophet (PBUH) endured and although all the calamities in the world can't bring us close to what he experienced, in the eyes of Allah your every tiny sacrifice will be enough inshAllah.

amina88

I live & die 4 Allah
Dear sister Hasibah,

Mate, don't fear the people, Allah will send Angels to protect you. Stuff them a be strong and proud. Alhamdula I didnt encounter any problems with wearing the hijab but I swear, even if I did, that would only make me stronger. When I went to Saudi, I kinda lost that piety coz everyone was religious and stuff, but here, I am more alert regarding my religion.
Secondly, once you get used to wearing the hijab, it will become easy, seriously! You won't even notice it, it will be part of your nature and u will never be able to imagine going out without your precious hijab.
Third, every harassment you encounter will inshala earn you rewards. Besides it is jihad, as you r trying to wear it and we all know the rewards of jihad!
I wear the hijab because when Allah sw and His messenger commend a matter, I know I have no option in my decision. I wear the hijab because I believe in its significance and I wear the hijab because I am proud to say I am a muslim!
Mate, inshala Allah sw will help you but you must first help yorself and be strong. Remember when the verses were revealed concerning hijab, the female sahabis would not take a single step, they waited until pieces of fabric were brought to them. They did that only because they did not want to take a single step knowing they were disobeying Allah sw!
I hope I made some sense, the rest comes from you.

whitehijab

first of all, i pray that all my brothers and sisters in tti r in a good health and always under His protection insyaAllah

to Hasibah, i'm sorry to know of what happened.
but i'm curious of why u didn't want any explainations based on Quran and Hadith? isn't thats where the truth was. sorry for asking and didn't mean to underestimate u sister.

i'm not really a good muslimah myself but i always try to gain my knowledge about Islam insyaAllah. mayb u can start to do some readings about hijab and why we as muslimah should wear it sister Hasibah. start it from urself and try to understand it from ur heart.

i do wear hijab and alhamdulillah i feel safe wearing it. i feel the differences with other girls who didn't wear hijab but i don't know how to describe it to u. what i can say is, Islam is the best religion which really had put muslimah at a good level when we shouldn't show our 'aurat' to others than our family members.

u'r 1 of my sisters in Islam. so i pray that Allah will give us together protection in this and after life :hijabi:

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member

Peace and blessings
Wearing a headscarf and dressing modestly is a jihaad in itself, thats what keeps me doing it, its part of a muslim character to struggle and continue struggling fi-sabilillah.
:) << and keep smiling while you're doing it even if you dont feel like it cos its a sunnah and keeps your spirits up near cloud 9 lol.

NAVEED

Assalamoalikum Sister:

Although I am your brother, but reading through your experience have tears rolling down my eyes.I wish some of us if not all can gain that strength in our Emaan. Ameen. I can only pray for all my sisters who are observing hijaab only and only for the sake of Allah SWT, that Allah SWT make is easy for you, and I pray that Allah SWT reward you in hereafter with highest of the ranks. I feel so honourned by my sister that I don't have words to write anymore.

Ibn_Syena

Peace...
Salamu Alekum Sisters and Brothers

Dear sister Hasibah,

Although you asked not to post verses from Qur`an, and not to say that you (must), yet I'll still post some verses, inspite of not goin' to say that you (must) :). It's all what I can anywayz, being just a brother myself.

Well, It's not about Hijab itself, actually it's just to remind you and all sisters to suffer the same situation to be patient, for:

[10] Say (O Muhammad (peace be upon him)) "O My slaves who believe (in the Oneness of Allâh - Islâmic Monotheism), be afraid of your Lord (Allâh) and keep your duty to Him. Good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world, and Allâh's earth is spacious (so if you cannot worship Allâh at a place, then go to another)! Only those who are patient shall receive their rewards in full, without reckoning."
Surat AzZumor (39)

This can be just some sort of Ibtelaa` (test) from Allah, and surely He'll reward you all the best for being patient and withstanding it.

Allah (swt) says:
[1] Alif-Lâm-Mîm.
[2] Do people think that they will be left alone because they say: "We believe," and will not be tested.
[3] And We indeed tested those who were before them. And Allâh will certainly make (it) known (the truth of) those who are true, and will certainly make (it) known (the falsehood of) those who are liars, (although Allâh knows all that before putting them to test).
Surat Al Ankabot (29)

He (swt) Also says:
[141] And that Allâh may test (or purify) the believers (from sins) and destroy the disbelievers.
[142] Do you think that you will enter Paradise before Allâh tests those of you who fought (in His Cause) and (also) tests those who are As-Sâbirin (the patient)?
Surat Ala Imran (3)

And please don't ever think that Allah'll leave you alone, or that He's not aware of what's happening to you, for He (swt) says:

[42] Consider not that Allâh is unaware of that which the Zâlimûn (polytheists, wrong-doers) do, but He gives them respite up to a Day when the eyes will stare in horror.
[43] (They will be) hastening forward with necks outstretched, their heads raised up (towards the sky), their gaze returning not towards them and their hearts empty (from thinking because of extreme fear).
Surat Ibrahim (14)

Also be sure that you'll take all your rights back (from those who are harassing you) in the judgement day; It's in Surat Al-Mutaffifin (83):
[29] Verily! (During the worldly life) those who committed crimes used to laugh at those who believed.
[30] And, whenever they passed by them, used to wink one to another (in mockery).
[31] And when they returned to their own people, they would return jesting;
[32] And when they saw them, they said: "Verily! These have indeed gone astray!"
[33] But they (disbelievers, sinners) had not been sent as watchers over them (the believers).
[34] But this Day (the Day of Resurrection) those who believe will laugh at the disbelievers
[35] On (high) thrones, looking (at all things).
[36] Are not the disbelievers paid (fully) for what they used to do?

Well, I hope this (beside the great replies of other bros/sis here) can help you make it better, and I (indeed I believe we all) 'll pray for Allah to help you (and other sisters) out of this.

May Allah have his blessings and Mercy on us all
Wasalmo Alekum Warhmato Allah

Ibn_Syena

Peace...
As Salamu Alekum

I wanna add something to you and every sister who faces trouble because of sticking to Hijab and Obeying orders from Allah

I wanna tell you that you are blessed, don't you fell it? Allah (swt) guided your heart, so that you could know the right path and become Muslim, then He enlighted your vision, so that you can know and define the right from the wrong, then He assisted you so that you can keep to the right and not turning back despite all the difficulties you're facing...

Don't you see it, when here in Egypt - for example - or any other muslim country, when the whole atmosphere supports you to wear Hijab, when most of women already wear it, and when you are dignified for wearing it, yet, many muslim girls still not APPROVING of wearing it, but you, and inspite of all what you're facing, are still adhering. Mashaa' Allah, May Allah support you all and reward you the best.

Allah (swt) says:
[18] Is then he who is a believer like him who is Fâsiq (disbeliever and disobedient to Allâh)? Not equal are they.
Surat AsSajda (32)
[9] Is one who is obedient to Allâh, prostrating himself or standing (in prayer) during the hours of the night, fearing the Hereafter and hoping for the Mercy of his Lord (like one who disbelieves)? Say: "Are those who know equal to those who know not?" It is only men of understanding who will remember (i.e. get a lesson from Allâh's Signs and Verses).
Surat AzZumar (39)

Wasalamu Alekum Warhmato Allah

jamafg

PEACE,
YOU KNOW WHAT?WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT WEST OR WHAT EVER CALLED?
I THINK WILL BE MUCH BETTER IF CAN'T SAY A NICE WORD, THEN STOP TALKING HAZARDOUS, OR UNJUSTIFIED THINGS ABOUT ISLAM, OK!
A FINAL ADVICE DON'T BE ATRACTED BY DUNIYA, THINK ABOUT AKHIRAT.OK!
ALSO YOU MAY BE BETTER START YOUR MESSAGE BY THE NAME OF ALLAH SWT AND SALAAM TO OTHER MUSLIMS, OK
What a joke,
just before few days we had dozen of posts how Muslim countries are corrupeted and advantages of living in Western Europe and America:)

gazkour

Assalamo alikom wa rahmato Allah wa barakato

Sister Nasibah,

I'm a convert and Alhamdulillah I have had the opportunity to live in different countries and cities. In every place you will always get bad looks when wearing a hijab, in some places more than others.

I just want to remind you sister, that this life is a TEST. Someone spitting on you, it's a TEST for you.
Others get different kinds or "levels" of testing like diseases, loosing members of the family, living in a war (Iraq, Afghanistan, etc), occupation, humiliation and suffering (Palestine, etc, etc), hunger (Africa)......

As muslims we are required to have PATIENCE in all difficult situations. We cannot remove our hijab anytime someone does or says something to us. The person who spat on you would be happy to see you removing your hijab, he got what he wanted!
We cannot compare this kind of test to the one our brothers and sisters are suffering in other countries.

For me, the Hijab is the best thing a woman can get, it is feeling proud to be muslim, feeling comfortable of being different.

Remember sister, that if any harm is written for you, it will happen whether you have the hijab on or not or weather you live in US or China.

The only One who can really protect us is the favor of Allah, not by removing what should be 'every muslima's pride and joy.

May Allah guide us all.:hijabi:

justoneofmillion

:salam2:just for this one if i see an American one of these days in the street am gonna spit on them just for the sake of letting them explain the madness of inherited sin joke they are helpless here in Europe and play the bush haters i hate that race of racist hypocrite cowards if i was near to you sis on that day i would have cleaned the masjid s restrooms with that person even animals don t do that what a bunch of retards stuck in the middle of nowhere it seems they never got out of Alabama to see the world these flaming mongroes may allah save the Muslims among them

There was a post the other day from a non muslim user here is what she said
blackivy393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mairo View Post
Hi BlackIvy,
I really like seeing young people such as yourself searching out God and studying religion. I am curious, what do you think about Islam now? Is there something that is holding you back, or something that has changed in your life, to keep you from wanting to convert at this point in time? From some of your posts it sounds almost like you are trying to combine your Christian beliefs with Islam? I myself also studied many different religions, and did not become Muslim until more than 10 years after my first introduction to Islam.

I wish you the best in your search, May God guide you on the straight path.

Mairo
oh the only thing that holds back is the Jesus is God thing, cuz i actually believe that it makes sense to me that "whole thing" cuz i was like oh yea im going 2 convert 2 islam.

but yea some times i wear hijab because some guys are so annoying, aggressive and assertive ^_-. and you can be wearing long sleeve and ankle skirt and still get the most horrible things said to you; but no one bothers you if they think you're muslim. and in the african american community since there has always been a presence of muslims, if you're female no matter how you wear your scarve others will think you're muslim, so they dont bother you lol

ps sorry sis i just got mad not sad the former advices are good the end of all of this is a miserable hole try to be more patient than me right now we love you for the sake of allah swt
jameel

sheena_9

:salam2: sister

I am really mad that people did this to you.

I had a bad experience at the begnning when i started wearing my hijab. My friends who some of them were muslims and didn't wear the hijab...they left me because i started wearing the hijab...but i loved it so much that i didn't care about my friends. I thought about the hereafter and i didn't care and people still give me the look ..but i don't really care

I will keep you in my prayers and inshallah ALLAH will guide them to teh straight path.

Don_Salvatore

Just leave the Hijab at home....

It would be easier if you ask me. But let me ask another question. You all seem so angry about some idiots who do not respect that you look different. How does muslims treat nonmuslims in muslim countries? We all know the answer to that. How can you expect to get repsect when you fail to show it when you have the majority?

Im tired of muslims who feel that they are not respectet i western countries when the truth is... Especially in Europe... That you have much more respect and state protection than any christian or any other religious followers have in muslim countries.

Let me tell you how many people are starting to think because of muslim treatment of different people in muslim countries.... "When in Rome"

Your way of thinking, reasoning, talking and general behavior is pushing westerners towards being intollerable which is a shame because tolerance is the foundation of modern western thinking. But tolerance goes both ways. You should make a note of that.... ALL of YOU

amy

Salam sister,

I also dont wear the Hijab, i have reverted to islam and find it really difficult to wear it. I am too worried what other people will think of me etc. Which i know is no excuse, but it is a big issue for me right now. InshAllah i am going to start though as i know it is what is expected from me as a muslim women.
Your situation is different though because if people are spitting at you!! that is terrible!! would you not feel better moving to a different town where islam is more excepted?? can i ask sister are u a revert?

:shymuslima1: