The Salaams in Prayer

bdot

As salaamu alaikum,

I was just wondering what the Sunnah is when giving salaams to your right and to your left when exiting prayer. This website and many other websites, as well as books I've read, say that the Sunnah is to give the better Salaam to the right (i.e. say "As salaamu alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa barakatu" to the right, and say "As salaamu alaikum wa Rahmatullah" to the left). However, whenever I pray in congregation with others at the masjid or anywhere else, it is almost always the case that equal salaam is given to both right and left (i.e. "As salaamu alaikum wa Rahmatullah" to both sides). So I was wondering what is the true Sunnah of Rusulullah (saw) because I want to follow that, plus I don't want to teach others something that may be bidah. May someone please respond to me so that I may have this cleared up. JazakhAllah for your time.

As salaamu alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa barakatu

bdot

ok...may some at least tell me the way they give their salaams and why they do it in this way (Islamic reasoning if u may). this is important in perfecting the salah.

q8penpals

As salaamu alaikum,

both right and left (i.e. "As salaamu alaikum wa Rahmatullah" to both sides).

May someone please respond to me so that I may have this cleared up. JazakhAllah for your time.

Salam

Well, since no one answered, I will tell you what I do and why (and I am not saying I am correct). I say "As salaamu alaikum wa Rahmatullah" to both sides because the prayer book that I have from DarUsSallam says to do it that way and that is the book I used to learn to pray. My husband does it that way too, and he has been a practicing Muslim all his life.

I never heard anyone doing it the other way you mentioned, but I don't know if one or the other is more right or more wrong.

Lana

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalaamu'Alykum,

The salaam takes various forms:

A) “Al-Salaamu ‘alaykum wa rahmat-Allaahu wa barakaatuhu” to the right, and “Al-salaamu ‘alaaykum wa rahmat-Allaah” to the left.

B) The same, but without saying “wa barakaatuhu”.

C) “Al-Salaamu ‘alaykum wa rahmat-Allaahu” to the right, and “Al-salaamu ‘alaaykum” to the left.

This was taken from IslamQA, although i copied just part of the reply, check:http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=13340&ln=eng

Wasalam

bdot

:salam2:

JazakhAllah for your responses. So i guess either way is ok according to ditta's post. I truly appreciate the help.

JazakhAllahu khayr