Whats it like being muslim where you are???

Vietlaynesegyrl

As Salaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,
I recently went back to New York to visit my husband family. Wearing a niqaab in New York everyone stares at you as if you are a threat. But Alhamdulilah, nothing bad happen to me. I think also because I was with my husband. New York is a diverse place, there are a lot of muslim women there. You will see niqaabie and hijabie women. From where I am from, which is California Sacramento, it's hard enough to wear a hijab. May Allah make it easy for muslim around the world. Make sure you stick with the sunnah.
Salaam

yafash

Nigerian tale

:salam2:
hmmm,
where i am from in nigeria, most people don't have problem with others being muslim. well except a couple of christians who i have met who kept telling me i was too fair of face to be a muslim.
The greatest problem facing muslims in my side is lack of knowlegde and wide spreadness of bidah. Most of the muslims in my country are deeply influenced by the sufis and most have the wrong aqidah this goes back for many years. This thus, creates problems for those trying to follow qur'an and sunnah, cos our parents and other older muslims kept stressing u over issues like the beard, keeping ones trousers low and even hijab. Cos most of the fundamentals of the religion have been dropped a long time ago, such that when u start to do what is in the Qur'an and sunnah they question u saying: "We have been mulims all our lives and so have our parents, where have u got this from". thus one becomes a stranger amongs fellow muslims for practicing what Allah and his messanger have order that we do.
This really affects dawah to the non muslims cos they have been exposed to a corrupted islam and it takes a lot of explanations claer things up, though i believe some r just not open minded cos of the benefits they enjoy from christianity.
i am so fearful that it seems christianity is on the rise at my place, but most of them usually go in for the comforts of this life. cos my place is really ruff we don't get to enjoy the organization and social ammenities people in 1st world country enjoy. and u know poverty is a disease.....
This is why i am so happy to read about people in place like the uk and united states becoming muslim cos i feel if so christians from my side hear about such stories it might make them reason abt their hereafter.
:wasalam:

yafash

Another problem we r facing is some thing that is not new to muslims round the globe, all the media focusing on muslims labeling us as violent. the ethnic violence done in nigeria in the name of religion doesn't help this much.
there r lots of ethnic minorities something like how mecca was prior to islam. and in a part of my counry there is a certain major tribe that was greatly influenced by islam, in the early 19th century though, the have fast lost most of their understanding of islam alot of them r still muslims and some of them still hold on to this jahiliah mentality of tribalism, so any time tribal conflicts erupt involving them, everyone says "oh u violent muslims r at it again".
very terrible air time goes to islam cos of thing . but may allah assist us and lead us to the right path. amin

IMAM

Asalam alaikum
How is to be a Muslim in the US? i think that the experience is very different according to the ethnic background you belong and the community you are part off. I am a Latino Muslim sister living in the US. Often i hear my Muslim sisters and brothers that come from Muslim countries saying how hard is to be a Muslim in the US... but I cant relate to that experience.. for me being in the US gave me the possibility to be a Muslim, wear hijab and learn about my deen.. The challenge is when I have to go back home and visit my family (in latin america).. that the problem... its really hard. but as far as being in VA.. alhumdullilah there are many Muslims around here.. the only problem I see is the discrimination within the Muslim community. I actually have seen more discrimination among Muslim than what non- muslims could ever do to us.. its sad, but if you belong to an ethnic group, or your skin color is different from the predominant group at the mosque, your experience can be very bad. As a convert sometimes you wonder to what does this type of behavior have to do with the teachings of the Prophet (PBH) and with following the Sunnah?

couldnt agree with you more i live in part where the pre-dominat muslims are from a certain part the sad part is the Friday khutbah which is said in their language i couldnt care less but what sad is for the new converts who not only feel isolated but see the so called`unity`of muslims as an illusion....quite sad when the imam cant converse in english

Khadijah

Wearing the hijab has been an eye opener for me for sure, Alhamdulillah. I live in a 99% white Christian area. I grew up here thinking that discrimination and racism were things from the past. Stupid, I know, but that was my life experience-I haven't traveled at all. There aren't many Muslims here and they are mostly African immigrants. So now, being married to an African man and being white with hijab, I tend to stick out in a crowd-real bad. I've been yelled at from cars-called a traitor, raghead, etc. One time some older guy in a car next to me made like he was shooting a gun at me using hand gestures (it's hard to explain how he did it in writing), but anyway my kids were in the car and that was a little disturbing. But, Alhamdulillah, these things are an exception and I think of our Prophet :saw: and his companions and what they went through and this is nothing compared to that. I think most of the stares are just from curiosity and surprise, and now I've become used to it. Even when I do get dirty looks it doesn't bother me anymore and it's funny to stand at a store checkout and see the look of surprise on the cashier's face when I speak--and Wow, I'm speaking english lol.

Submitter

Wearing the hijab has been an eye opener for me for sure, Alhamdulillah. I live in a 99% white Christian area. I grew up here thinking that discrimination and racism were things from the past. Stupid, I know, but that was my life experience-I haven't traveled at all. There aren't many Muslims here and they are mostly African immigrants. So now, being married to an African man and being white with hijab, I tend to stick out in a crowd-real bad. I've been yelled at from cars-called a traitor, raghead, etc. One time some older guy in a car next to me made like he was shooting a gun at me using hand gestures (it's hard to explain how he did it in writing), but anyway my kids were in the car and that was a little disturbing. But, Alhamdulillah, these things are an exception and I think of our Prophet :saw: and his companions and what they went through and this is nothing compared to that. I think most of the stares are just from curiosity and surprise, and now I've become used to it. Even when I do get dirty looks it doesn't bother me anymore and it's funny to stand at a store checkout and see the look of surprise on the cashier's face when I speak--and Wow, I'm speaking english lol.

Sister I'm curious, are you in the UK? If so, where abouts? I'm surprised to hear of this kind of behavior. May Allah help you and remove from you your problems.

Khadijah

Sister I'm curious, are you in the UK? If so, where abouts? I'm surprised to hear of this kind of behavior. May Allah help you and remove from you your problems.

:jazaak: and No, I'm in the US in a small,economically depressed area and a lot of the people are uneducated and slow to accept change. It's like my ex husband, my older kids father said when I became Muslim---He said "What are you gonna do, show my kids how to take bombs to school in their backpacks?" That kind of shows you the mentality of a lot of folks around here. But like I said, these things are the exception-most people are nice and some want to ask me questions which I think is a great opportunity to educate people about the truth of Islam. Now from what I've heard, things are tougher in the UK, women getting beaten and their hijabs ripped off, etc---my situation is nothing compared to this, may Allah help them.

Sister Nur

Living As A Muslimah In Canada:

I am in Canada, more specifically in Montreal, Quebec. There is a very large muslim population here so there is much support and a large community to depend on. However on the other hand this tends to be a rather racist city. As a revert to Islam, I receive many strange looks and rude behaviour from the local French Canadians.....Hhhmmm, maybe they think I should get back on the boat and go back to where I came from? Little do they know that I was born in this country and 4 generations before me as well (My ancestors are Irish/Scottish). There are so many misconceptions here, and I notice that many muslims that are born here, the younger generation mostly, tend to act more like the "locals" rather than displaying proper muslim behaviour and dressing islamically.

Submitter

:jazaak: and No, I'm in the US in a small,economically depressed area and a lot of the people are uneducated and slow to accept change. It's like my ex husband, my older kids father said when I became Muslim---He said "What are you gonna do, show my kids how to take bombs to school in their backpacks?" That kind of shows you the mentality of a lot of folks around here. But like I said, these things are the exception-most people are nice and some want to ask me questions which I think is a great opportunity to educate people about the truth of Islam. Now from what I've heard, things are tougher in the UK, women getting beaten and their hijabs ripped off, etc---my situation is nothing compared to this, may Allah help them.

Actually if you read some of the posts from members in the UK in this thread you'll find in general we don't have much of a problem. That's why I asked if you were in the UK because I havn't seen or experienced such intolerance myself. Of course some people will have few bad experiences but this is true for every country. Like you say, there are the small minority that can be hostile towards you but if we remain patient with them inshallah Allah will reward us.

Abdul Malik

Living As A Muslimah In Canada:

I am in Canada, more specifically in Montreal, Quebec. There is a very large muslim population here so there is much support and a large community to depend on. However on the other hand this tends to be a rather racist city. As a revert to Islam, I receive many strange looks and rude behaviour from the local French Canadians.....Hhhmmm, maybe they think I should get back on the boat and go back to where I came from? Little do they know that I was born in this country and 4 generations before me as well (My ancestors are Irish/Scottish). There are so many misconceptions here, and I notice that many muslims that are born here, the younger generation mostly, tend to act more like the "locals" rather than displaying proper muslim behaviour and dressing islamically.

Asalam alaikum wraahmatulahi wabrkatuh,

Sis some of us can relate to that about some of our younger lol i aint that old myself lol muslims may ALLAH guide them and us....ameen. But inshallah i guess we have to be the positive role models for all muslims and non muslims alike.

ALLAH make our efforts easy especially whilst giving dawaa.....ameen

Saifadin_Qutuz

Nemesis of Decadence
I live in a mouslim country, so really its all fine , alhamdulilah :)
But I have lived in Sweden. I honestly havent seen much bad in Sweden, neither too good. Probably, neutral, which is fair :)

Oze

Dear brothers & sisters..

Being born & raised in australia as a muslim, i wouldnt know how to compare.. however i do believe it would be easier to practice islam in a muslim country rather than in a non-muslim country.

In saying that, every country muslim or non-muslim we will have our tests & its all part of the journey, Alhumdulilah.

Australia is OK in regard to the thread.. it has become some what a more of a focal point i guess since 9/11 but then again Alhumdulilah. They do plan but Allah is best of planners.

In general, being muslim in a non-muslim country isnt easy unless you are in a muslim community.. & Alhumdulilah australia does have muslim communities.

Sorry ill continue my opinion tommorrow on being muslim in australia.. got to go!

Submitter

however i do believe it would be easier to practice islam in a muslim country rather than in a non-muslim country.

This is true in general yes, but you have countries like Tunisia which is supposed to be a "Muslim" country but the politics is taking over. Too much western influence has now, I believe, banned hijab for women at places of work in Tunisia. And it is such a shame to see things like this happening. May Allah help us in our struggle to stay on the right path.

UmmTaymiyyah

Assalamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullah,

I live in Wales, in the UK, and as a muslimah who wears the Niqaab, I do get quite alot of stares, and the odd comment, but you kind of get used to it. The city I live Alhamdulillah there is a large muslim community, there are somalis/arabs/white reverts/asians etc.... and now masha'Allah alot more sisters have started wearing the Niqaab here, so the people are slowly getting used to it Alhamdulillah.

Each day you go out here is different, one day you may have someone be so rude to you, the next you may get someone speak to you, and they may have no problem whatsoever with the way your dressed. Living in the West you have to be prepared for the insults/stares even in some cases physical abuse (may Allah protect us all, ameen.) and definitely sabr is a must, may Allah increase us all in that ameen.
But as I mentioned there can be alot of people who are very kind, and open and will make conversations with you, and may even ask you curiously why you may be covering your face/wearing the hijaab etc, so its important for us to have the correct knowledge, so insha Allah we can give the daw'ah, and show the people in the west the beauty of Islam, and clear any misconceptions they may have.