to much attention

jenny82

Asalam alaikum,

I have decided to taake the next step to becoming muslim. So i decided to go out wearing a hijab but as i am very pale i got more attention and people staring i know you are not supposed to do things that attract attention but i know its going to happen. I didnt have anything said to me. I dont know what to do. does anyone have any advise. thanks:confused:

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
hello
wellcome here,

I have decided to taake the next step to becoming muslim

are u passed the <1st> step i.e are saying ..shahadaa..

waiting ur reply..

<wasalam>

jenny82

i have said the shahadaa in private i am seeing a scholar next week so i am going to say it again then

samiha

---------
Staff member
Take things one at a time. Know what your reversion means, what it implys then take the steps to becoming the best Muslim you can be.

I have seen reverts who try to take everything at once and many times after trying that they become lazy and lax towards their duties. It's like a diet, you can't starve yourself to get skinny, you have to take steps towards weight loss. Learn your deen, your religion and then take your steps.

May Allah help you in all cases and whatever you decide.

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Conditions of the acceptance of the Shahaadatayn

Alhamduillah 4 blessing of islam..

u should know that..

Conditions of the acceptance of the Shahaadatayn

It seems that by “kalimah” you mean the Kalimat al-Tawheed (lit. Word of Divine Unity), which is the Shahaadatayn, “Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah Muhammadun Rasool-Allaah (There is no god except Allaah, and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah).” This is also what the khateeb was referring to.

There are a number of conditions attached to the Shahaadatayn, which are as follows:

(1) Knowledge

This means knowing the meaning of the Shahaadah, both the negation (There is no god) and the affirmation (except Allaah), knowledge as opposed to ignorance of this.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“So know (O Muhammad) that Laa ilaaha ill -Allaah (none has the right to be worshipped but Allaah)…”

[Muhammad 47:19]

“except for those who bear witness to the truth knowingly [i.e., that there is no god except Allaah, and they know” [al-Zukhruf 43:86] – they know in their hearts the meanings of the words that their mouths speak.

It is reported in al-Saheeh that ‘Uthmaan ibn ‘Affaan (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever dies knowing that there is no god except Allaah will enter Paradise.”
(2) Certainty

This is certainty as opposed to doubt, whereby the person who says this [the Shahaadah] is absolutely certain about the meaning of these words, because faith does not count unless it is based on certain knowledge, not on knowledge based on speculation, let alone doubt.

“Only those are the believers who have believed in Allaah and His Messenger, and afterward doubt not but strive with their wealth and their lives for the Cause of Allaah. Those! They are the truthful”

[al-Hujuraat 49:15]

A condition of their being truthful in their belief in Allaah and His Messenger is that they should not doubt. The one who doubts is a hypocrite – Allaah forbid.

It is reported in al-Saheeh that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Bear witness that there is no god except Allaah and that I am the Messenger of Allaah, for no person meets Allaah with these two (words), not doubting in them, and is kept away from Paradise.”

(3) Acceptance

This means that one accepts with one’s heart and with one’s words that which is implied by this kalimah. Allaah says concerning the one who accepts it (interpretation of the meaning):

“Save the chosen slaves of Allaah (i.e. the true believers of Islamic Monotheism).

For them there will be a known provision (in Paradise),

Fruits; and they shall be honoured,

In the Gardens of Delight (Paradise)…

[al-Saaffaat 37:40-43]

“Whoever brings a good deed (i.e. belief in the Oneness of Allaah along with every deed of righteousness), will have better than its worth; and they will be safe from the terror on that Day”

[al-Naml 27:89]

It was narrated in al-Saheeh from Abu Moosa (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“The likeness of the guidance and knowledge with which Allaah has sent me is a great deal of rain which falls on the land. Some of the land is fertile: it absorbs the water and brings forth a lot of grass and vegetation. Other parts of the land are infertile, but they hold the water and Allaah benefits the people thereby, so that they drink it, and water their animals and irrigate their lands with it. A third part of the land is plains which do not hold the water and where no plants grow. This is like the person who understands the religion of Allaah and benefits from the Message with which Allaah sent me, so he learns and teaches others (what he has learned), and the person who does not pay attention or accept the guidance of Allaah with which I was sent.”

(4) Submission

This means submitting to what is implied by the Shahaadatayn, as opposed to ignoring or neglecting it.

“And turn in repentance and in obedience with true Faith (Islamic Monotheism) to your Lord and submit to Him (in Islam)”

[al-Zumar 39:54]

“And who can be better in religion than one who submits his face (himself) to Allaah (i.e. follows Allaah’s religion of Islamic Monotheism); and he is a Muhsin (a good-doer

[al-Nisaa’ 4:125]

“And whosoever submits his face (himself) to Allaah, while he is a Muhsin (good-doer, i.e. performs good deeds totally for Allaah’s sake without any show-off or to gain praise or fame and does them in accordance with the Sunnah of Allaah’s Messenger Muhammad), then he has grasped the most trustworthy handhold [Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah (none has the right to be worshipped but Allaah)]. And to Allaah return all matters for decision”

[Luqmaan 31:22]

“submits his face” means, he submits fully. “While he is a muhsin (good-doer)”
means he affirms the Unity of Allaah.

(5) Truthfulness, true belief

This means, meaning what you say, as opposed to lying. This means saying it from the heart, where the heart agrees with the words being uttered.

“Alif Laam Meem.

[These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur’aan, and none but Allaah (Alone) knows their meanings.]

Do people think that they will be left alone because they say: ‘We believe,’ and will not be tested.

And We indeed tested those who were before them. And Allaah will certainly make (it) known (the truth of) those who are true, and will certainly make (it) known (the falsehood of) those who are liars, (although Allaah knows all that before putting them to test)…

[al-‘Ankaboot 29:1-3]

In al-Saheehayn it was narrated from Mu’aadh ibn Jabal (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“There is no one who bears witness that there is no god except Allaah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah, truly from his heart, but Allaah will protect him from the Fire.”

(6) Sincerity

This means purity of action with a sound intention, free from any contamination of shirk. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Surely, the religion (i.e. the worship and the obedience) is for Allaah only”

[al-Zumar 39:3]

“And they were commanded not, but that they should worship Allaah, and worship none but Him Alone (abstaining from ascribing partners to Him)…”

[al-Bayyinah 98:5]

In al-Saheeh it is narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The people who will be most deserving of my intercession will be those who say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah sincerely from their hearts or their souls.”
(7) Love

This means love for this word and for what it implies, and its people, those who act upon it and adhere to its conditions; and hatred of whatever goes against it.

“And of mankind are some who take (for worship) others besides Allaah as rivals (to Allaah). They love them as they love Allaah. But those who believe, love Allaah more (than anything else).”

[al-Baqarah 2:165]

The sign that a person loves his Lord is that he gives priority to what Allaah loves even if it goes against his own desires, and he hates what Allaah hates, even if it is something to which he is inclined.. He takes as friends those who are friends of Allaah and His Messenger and he takes as enemies those who are the enemies of Allaah and His Messenger. He follows His Messenger :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), follows in his footsteps and accepts his guidance .All of these signs are conditions of this love, and it cannot be imagined that this love can exist without any of these conditions.

The Messenger of Allaah :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“There are three things which if a person finds them, he has found the sweetness of faith: when Allaah and His Messenger are dearer to him than all else; when he loves a person for no other reason than for the sake of Allaah; and when he hates to return to kufr after Allaah has saved him from it as he would hate to be thrown into fire.” (Narrated from the hadeeth of Anas ibn Maalik).

Some scholars added an eighth condition, which is the rejection of all things that are worshipped instead of Allaah (al-kufr bi’l-taaghoot or rejection of false gods). The Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever says Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah and rejects everything that is worshipped instead of Allaah, his property and his blood will be sacred [i.e., it is forbidden to seize his property or shed his blood] and his reckoning will be with Allaah.” (Narrated by Muslim). In order for his property and his blood to be protected, he must, in addition to saying Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah, also reject whatever is worshipped instead of Allaah, no matter who or what it is.

Summarized from Ma’aarij al-Qubool by Muhammad ibn Sa’eed al-Qahtaani, pp. 119-122

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
i have said the shahadaa in private i am seeing a scholar next week so i am going to say it again then

Assalamu alaykum.

there is no need to say it infront of a scholar, you can even do it over the phone or to any Muslim friends you have.

Take Care,

wasalam. and may Allah help u :)

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum.

there is no need to say it infront of a scholar, you can even do it over the phone or to any Muslim friends you have.

Take Care,

wasalam. and may Allah help u :)

yeah, ur right brother islam is so easy Alhamduillah..

but i'm with her in go to her Scholar to learn more and More..

and Surely All us here 4 her..and she should asked more Question and feel free..

<wasalam>

islamicfajr

Submitter

:salam2:

Subhanallah I'm so happy to hear of your acceptance of the truth sis. May Allah guide you and reward you. For sure, you will face some challenges along the way but you have to remain patient, and Allah will reward you immensely for it. Like sister Samiha said, take things slowly, one step at a time, and inshallah it will not be difficult for you.

:wasalam:

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member

Masha'Allah, we have another sisterin Islam.:jumpclap: Praise be to Allah Who has opened your heart for the truth to find Islam sister.
As the brother said you'll have to face some challenges in the future maybe, but just think that even in the past you had challenges, only they were of a different kind. And now alhamdulilaah you have done something that will save you're guided insha'Allah and that you will have Allah with you all the time: When My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calleth on Me: Let them also, with a will, Listen to My call, and believe in Me: That they may walk in the right way. 2:186.

Your brother in Islam.

Khadijah

:salam2: sister and congrats on becoming Muslim. I understand what your saying about the hijab drawing more attention it's the same for me. But you're not drawing the same kind of attention as, for example, a woman in daisy dukes and a tank top. Oddly enough, I've found most of the stares are coming from women and for the most part men don't pay too much attention at all. In fact, most are much more polite and respectful than before. As you become stronger in faith, you will not notice so much. In the meantime if you're out in hijab feeling a little self conscious try to tell yourself how lucky you are for knowing the truth, that you're the one who's doing the right thing (not them), and that your reward is with Allah. :wasalam: Khadijah

Submitter

But you're not drawing the same kind of attention as, for example, a woman in daisy dukes and a tank top

Exactly!

With men at least, they won't be any longer staring at you with lust. Rather, they'll be staring at you with respect subhanallah! This is the whole point behind the hijab, it is enjoined to protect women and ensure they are respected. Allah says in the Qur'an:

O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful. (Qur'an, 33:59)

:wasalam:

marildu

Assalamu Alaikum,

Welcome to Islam sister. What the person said about taking things one step at a time is very important. I did lots at once and it can be very stressful. Alhamdulillah I have not become lazy but it was very stressful at first.

I also am very pale with green eyes and wear hijab. :blackhijab: I get many looks and stares. But the men I work with are also much less forward with me and understand I'm Muslim. You'll be surprised how much dawah can be done if you wear hijab and especially if you are white. While at a restaurant a male college student said hello to me and I said hello back. I figured he was just being obnoxious with his friends around him. Later he came and sat down at my table and asked me for information about visiting a mosque, then he thanked me and left.

You'll also probably get a lot of questions asking where you are from. And if you say here they will then ask "Where is your husband from then?" MashaAllah I had a woman ask me what my hijab was called because she had nothing but a scarf and was going to a football game where it would be cold. She wanted to know how to tie one. lol

I think it's all made me a better person overall and a better Muslim. Alhamdulillah.

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum,

Welcome to Islam sister. What the person said about taking things one step at a time is very important. I did lots at once and it can be very stressful. Alhamdulillah I have not become lazy but it was very stressful at first.

I also am very pale with green eyes and wear hijab. :blackhijab: I get many looks and stares. But the men I work with are also much less forward with me and understand I'm Muslim. You'll be surprised how much dawah can be done if you wear hijab and especially if you are white. While at a restaurant a male college student said hello to me and I said hello back. I figured he was just being obnoxious with his friends around him. Later he came and sat down at my table and asked me for information about visiting a mosque, then he thanked me and left.

You'll also probably get a lot of questions asking where you are from. And if you say here they will then ask "Where is your husband from then?" MashaAllah I had a woman ask me what my hijab was called because she had nothing but a scarf and was going to a football game where it would be cold. She wanted to know how to tie one. lol

I think it's all made me a better person overall and a better Muslim. Alhamdulillah.

Masha` Allah..Alhamduillah 4 islam blessing..

<wasalam>

feesabeelillah

salaam

quick reply2answer the sisters question.

alhamdulillah many fair skinned sisters say the same thing about wearing hijab, n how it makes u stand out more n become much more noticeable.

alhamdulillah its still a law from Allah and inshaAllah u r putting it on with pure intentions to please allah n fulfil his laws.. so as long as u dont intend to beautify urself more than wt allah swt has already blessed u with, at same time as observing inner hijab (keepin ur gaze lowered, remaining modest and remembering allah at all times) then u r doing sumthing beautiful for the pleasure of allah n shud ignore the doubts that mk u think twice abt doing things for the pleasure of allah.

i dnt no if u no that shaytaan - satan, has 2 weapons only with which he aims to destroy and divert mankind from the path of Allah.. his weapons are Doubts, and desires.

desires is an easy one to understand - he makes u desire sumthin which is unlwaful to u - this is what we see the world over.

Doubts tho, is the really dangerous one, because most often it will lead u to think of sumthin good, as being bad, and something bad as being good. ie: you are thinking to wear ur hijaab - a good thing, shaytaan wants to stop u frm this, so he puts these doubts in ur mind, to make it seem like ur actually doing a good thing by not wearing it, because less people will notice u. the actual fact is that allah commanded the hijaab for all muslim women, black white etc, knowing that sum sisters will look more attractive in it than they would without, nevertheless there are no exceptions to this rule..so though ur thinking of a good point, fact is allah swt has declared its obligatory, and if we followed our doubts - then we would tk it off - thus disobeying allah and ultimately pleasing shaytaan. so be careful of these tricks he plays with us, and inshaAllah with sincere intentions, ur hijaab will be easy for you and things will be easier for you.

Really admire ur strength to put it on and the biggest thing my sister, is to welcome you to Islam, the truth. When things get difficult, dont over exert urself so that Islam becomes a burden, seek help inshaAllah from other believers and Allah swt, and constantly renew ur intention for everything u do, so that u never forget its purpose and principle.

Allah is understanding and merciful, compassionate and loving, aware of all and most forgiving.. nothing in His chosen way of life for us shud be burdensome so please, if u find things difficult dont force urself and never lose hope in allah. everyone has ups and downs so never be disappointed with urself if u find ur struggling with sumthing or even failing to understand sumthing that seems basic.

allah created us, he knows us inside out, and he knows all our weaknesses, thats why life is a test, and thats why allah forgives, - there wud be no need to mention forgiveness if we wer all going to be perfect n make no mistakes.
dear sister islam is so sweet and so beautiful..cud go on about the little bits of it that ive come to know but khayr..

i dont know how much uv looked into Islam before making ur choice. maybe u no far more than me inshaAllah, but however much or little, id really like to be there for u if i ever can be in any way possible.

this is turning into a poor essay so i'll put my last few points into bullets:

1) always be aware of shaytaan - in big&small things he'll try2lead u astray
2) always Trust Allah - what he allows is gud for u&what he forbids is bad4u
3) always renew your intentions - remember why u are doing what u are doing
4) always be sincere - nvr do things4anyones sake except Allah
5) always remember Allah - learn His names&attributes and believe in them

sister - you've made my day. my heart feels full and you've made me smile. Islam's so cute that making someone smile for the pleasure of allah is counted as charity - so my dear sister.. uv earnt a lot of rewards just by putting ur post up.

I love you feesabeelillah

wasalaam

1 of ur many loving sisters - in ISLAM

xx

ps: just incase ur not familiar with any words i used:

alhamdulillah = all thanks to allah
inshaAllah = if Allah wills
feesabeelillah = for the pleasure/sake of allah
khayr = whatever is best
allah swt = subhanahu wa ta'ala = a way of glorifying Allahs name when its mentioned

ok sis.. wow im so happy about you. please pray for me.. since u accepted Islam all ur sins are gone n ur like a new born baby all innocent and pure, so please do pray for me and our ummah ('nation' - all the believers) to have taqwa (to fear allah) to have tawakkul (to trust allah) to have sabr (patience) to have shukur (gratefulness/appreciation) to have hikmah (wisdom) to have eeman (faith) to have ikhlaas (sincerity) to accept our tawbah (repentance) to make hisbah (encourage good and forbid evil) to have ihsaan (to worship allah with no doubts) and to make us worthy of jannat ul firdaus (the highest heaven) without having to undergo the punishment of the grave, the fitnah (evil) of the Dajjal (antichrist), the day of judgement and the hellfire.. may allah protect us from it all and be pleased with us. our salaam to the prophet pbuh and the believer thats have come before us, and those still to come, and may allah aid all those who yearn, strive, struggle and fight for His pleasure and cause.

Ameen.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

im not sure that being fair skinned gives more attention. Members of my family have fair skin like European, yet we are never seen as being "English". People think foreign because of the Hijab.

Perhaps it is in people's minds that they are being noticed more? Or it could be, that because we were born and bought up Muslim, we are used to how people look at us! Whereas a new Muslim, is not used to it.

Allah knows best,

wasalam.

marildu

Assalamu alaykum,

im not sure that being fair skinned gives more attention. Members of my family have fair skin like European, yet we are never seen as being "English". People think foreign because of the Hijab.

Perhaps it is in people's minds that they are being noticed more? Or it could be, that because we were born and bought up Muslim, we are used to how people look at us! Whereas a new Muslim, is not used to it.

Allah knows best,

wasalam.
I live in a very non-Muslim area. I think people would stare no matter what but people ask more questions and look longer I think. It's sort of the idea like "hey what's one of us doing in one of those things?" I've had a few people ask me "what's that black thing wrapped around your head?" Not exactly polite or proper. lol I think it just surprises people that there are white Muslims. At least where I live and I live in the southern U.S.