• better to shake hands

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • depends on the conditions

Votes: 40 78.4%

• Total voters

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
:salam2:
It really depends, here in Syria when you meet other women they kiss you on the cheek, it's just their culture, but if I were to kiss someone on the cheek in Canada upon first meeting them they might think ok "strange". Same goes with a hug, just use common knowledge and that should tell you whats appropriate and what isn't:wasalam:

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
I say smile, hug, shake hands, kiss and don't let go...that person may not be around for long so u wanna make the most of it while they are.

Subhan Allah Sister, that is the spirit !!!
May Allah reward you for your love of other sisters.

As far as the poll is concerned, I have voted for "it depends", because it does depend on the situation.
:wasalam:

abou haytam

salam o alikom

i vote '' it depend on the situation''

Shaykh Muhammad Naasir al-Deen al-Albaani said:

''I say: This indicates that the Sahaabah differentiated between whether a person was present or travelling in the manner in which they greeted him. In the first case (when a person was a resident) they shook hands, and in the second case (when a person had come from travelling) they embraced him. Hence I used to avoid embracing when not travelling. In particular, in the first volume of al-Silsilah (no. 160) I narrated a hadeeth in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade bowing, embracing and kissing. Then when I prepared that volume for reprinting, I re-examined this hadeeth and noticed that the word embracing is not mentioned in the corroborating reports on the basis of which I had classed the hadeeth as qawiy, so I took it out, as will be seen in the new edition in sha Allaah which will be published shortly, praise be to Allaah.

When I realized that it was weak, I felt comfortable about taking it out, praise be to Allaah. In particular I saw that Ibn al-Teehaan al-Ansaari embraced the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), according to the hadeeth that speaks of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) coming out to the house of Ibn al-Teehaan (may Allaah be pleased with him), which is narrated in al-Shamaa’il al-Muhammadiyyah (no. 113, p. 79 – Mukhtasar al-Shamaa’il). But here it indicates that this is permissible sometimes, not that it is to be done always, as if it were a Sunnah, and as is the case with shaking hands, so attention should be paid to that. ''

Source:

Answer to this question:

Is it okay to kiss the hands of Muslim world leaders? Or to bow before them in respect? And what is the correct way to greet them. We think that it is the embrace and handshake for the men.

Answer:

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=20243&ln=eng&txt=العناق

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Jazaak Allaahu khayran Abou Haytam.

This is the point I was trying to make (not about the narrations lol).

SweetAmirah

depends

It all depends on the situation. how friendly are they being with you? do they seem shy?

Use your intuition, but as a fall back always shake if you just met:)

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

It really does depend on the situation like a person's health and mine. If I see a person coughing up a lung, I really have no desire to kiss you on the cheek 3 times.

I am iffy about shaking hands and hugs I reserve for the parents :D or a friend I haven't seen in a while.

I guess I am not a touchy, feely person. *shrugs* :D

Would a high five count? Those are fun and you can sometimes get a double high five :D

amina88

I live & die 4 Allah
Gee thanks man, you made my day:shymuslima1:
I haven't always been like that though. My family is not very affectionate, like we don't say I love you or kiss each other, rather we pick on each other, but boy do we love each other even though we don't admit it. Once my dad got struck with a minor stroke, and ALL of us went to the hospital, the hospital that day was filled with my family...it was funny. This random patient came up to us and congratulated us for just being there.
Sometimes I just want to say to my sister that I really, really love her and I would give my eyes and life to her, I would give her the moon if she asked for it but I can't, I get too shy.
Im like that with my friends as well...which sucks. Why I said smile, kiss, hug and don't let go for this poll was because of a very dear friend I once had. I loved her A LOT...in fact, she taught me to read the Quran. I was always too shy to say how much I appreciated her and loved her till one day I found her ridden with brain tumour. Even then, when I saw her, I just cried, still didn't say you mean a lot to me. Then I recieved the news she only had 24 hours to live. I rushed to the hospital with my sisters but by then she was in coma, it was too late...
There, aren't you glad I told you all that:SMILY335:

Subhan Allah Sister, that is the spirit !!!
May Allah reward you for your love of other sisters.

As far as the poll is concerned, I have voted for "it depends", because it does depend on the situation.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
Gee thanks man, you made my day:shymuslima1:
I haven't always been like that though. My family is not very affectionate, like we don't say I love you or kiss each other, rather we pick on each other, but boy do we love each other even though we don't admit it. Once my dad got struck with a minor stroke, and ALL of us went to the hospital, the hospital that day was filled with my family...it was funny. This random patient came up to us and congratulated us for just being there.
Sometimes I just want to say to my sister that I really, really love her and I would give my eyes and life to her, I would give her the moon if she asked for it but I can't, I get too shy.
Im like that with my friends as well...which sucks. Why I said smile, kiss, hug and don't let go for this poll was because of a very dear friend I once had. I loved her A LOT...in fact, she taught me to read the Quran. I was always too shy to say how much I appreciated her and loved her till one day I found her ridden with brain tumour. Even then, when I saw her, I just cried, still didn't say you mean a lot to me. Then I recieved the news she only had 24 hours to live. I rushed to the hospital with my sisters but by then she was in coma, it was too late...
There, aren't you glad I told you all that:SMILY335:

MashaAllah sister, it looks like you are a very funny and loving individual.

It also appear to me that you are more "cyber friendly" than "in-person friendly". A lot of people are like that including me. I think I cannot tell my real brother how much I love him when I am face to face with him. The words just won't come out. And same thing is true with him too... I guess. I think I can send him an email expessing myself much better than I can in-person. I don't know why is that?

Thanks for bringing it up sister from down-under. I would now try doing it slowly and try to break that ice which do not let us express our feelings freely to the people who we love so much. I think this is recommended in Islam too that we express our feeling of love to those who we love and must love as a Muslim, specially parents and siblings and children, because communication plays a very important part in life.

amina88

I live & die 4 Allah
Wow what you said about me is totally true and yes I am more cyber friendly. I think the reason for that is because in real life, I feel too wushy woshy and feel as though it's my farewell speech or something...
Life 'down under' is good, but we find ourselves constantly struggling to cling onto the earth just in case we fall into space.

AnAngelofWood

Thankful for my deen
Wow what you said about me is totally true and yes I am more cyber friendly. I think the reason for that is because in real life, I feel too wushy woshy and feel as though it's my farewell speech or something...
Life 'down under' is good, but we find ourselves constantly struggling to cling onto the earth just in case we fall into space.

I've read your responses to this question and I am like you in being more cyber-friendly, as far as saying in words that I love someone or care for them in any way. I also have a difficult time actually telling someone when they have offended me deeply. However, I have always been a very "huggy" person with EVERYONE, men and women alike. Now I am finding out that my hugginess with men is considered haram because it can call to immoral thoughts and feelings on the part of the men, even if it is not meant that way by me.

A gentleman who has always sought me out at work to hug me brought this alarmingly home to me just today. He made a comment that shocked me and I had to tell him that I would not be able to hug him like this anymore. I told him that although I have not taken Shahada yet, that I have been studying Islam and have been made aware that this is haram. He did not take it well, but I feel I did what I had to do.

As for hugging women, I am like many here in thinking it depends on the person and the situation. If a sister is dear to you and you know this person will not be offended by you hugging her, then by all means hug away. Usually we get a feeling of whether or not hugging is readily acceptable by another person. I believe someone else called this intuition. Yep, I say use intuition and act accordingly.

My dear friend comes from a family who all avoid hugging and touching a lot. I went to her families home once and at the end of the visit I hugged her and her mom and sisters, but I didn't hug her dad. I shook his hand. Later, she told me that her mom commented that she was touched that I had given her a hug, since even her own daughters never did this, but she said also that her dad would have been put off had I hugged him. The difference in their attitudes was something I instinctively picked up on and acted appropriately.

Another up side to having hugged her mom is that now whenever any of her daughters or her son visit her they hug her and often. My friend says that this seems to mean a great deal to her mother and it never would have happened had I not started the ball rolling. lol