do u still like music?

Allahu_Hassbi

As-salaamu `alaykum warahmatullaah.

I don't wanna force anything on anyone, as Muslims our duty is to convey the message, not enforce it on the people. However one clarification that must be made, is that Logic is not used as a proof, rather the texts of the Qur'aan and Sunnah take precedence. How truthful Imam Ibn Al-`Izz, the student of Ibn Kathir, rahimahumallaah, was when he said that one of the reasons that people stray is due to their using their intellects before Qur'aan and Sunnah. Rather the correct way to understand matters is via the Qur'aan and Sunnah, using one's rationale after that to comprehend the matter.

Yaa akhee Faisal, this is not an attack on you I'm not into argumentation at all, but rather this is (inshaa' Allaah) sincere advise from a brother to a brother (and I hope it benefits us all). If one were to study the the history of fiqh and see what the different schools of thought used to derive proofs and rulings (ahkaam) from, logic is never mentioned as an independant source (a good book is The Evolution of Fiqh by A. A. Bilal Philips, published by IIPH). Shaykh ul-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah wrote on the issue of logic to such an extent that W. B. Hallaq translated his work and described it as I believe, the biggest blow/attack on logic ever. It is titled 'Ibn Taymiyya against the Greek Logicians' and is published by Oxford University Press. Mind you I believe his focus was on the hardcore logic and not the more common points that are clearly acceptable.

To close I look to the advice of `Alee Ibn Abee Taalib, radiy-Allaahu `anhu you use to say, "If the deen was based on our intellects, then surely it would be more deserving to wipe the bottom of the khuffayn (pair of leather socks) than the tops." [See Shaykh Muqbil Al-Waadi`ee's treatise on praying in shoes published by www.troid.org, let me add that this is a widespread and authentic statement].

The intended meaning is pretty clear, that the Qur'aan and Sunnah favour logic. So even though it is more logical to wipe the bottom of the khuffayn, which are the sides that do gather dirt, the sunnah instructs us to wipe the top so we follow the sunnah and act upon the proof as oppose to what rationale dictates. This reiterates the point earlier that we undestand matters according to the Qur'aan and Sunnah and then use our rational to comprehend matters (if we are able to).

There is no need to, for example quote me in full and respond and defend on each point, since I'm not saying you deny these points at all. I just think it is befitting that you and all the others including me can benefit from this reminder. Also I'm not saying to totally regard rationale, logical thinking etc. I'm just saying that the Qur'aan, Sunnah and consensus of the `Ullema takes precedence.

Jazaak Allaahu khayran. I hope you understand why I'm writing this, may Allaah accept it as a deed frome me.

Allaah knows best.

Was-salaamu `alaykum

:salam2:
Allahumma Ameen to your Dua'
I agree with you 100%

:wasalam:

SweetAmirah

There are many differences of opinion on this topic. Some scholars say it isn't haram and others say it is. The way I see it...nothing in this life matters but serving Allah. What we should be working for is Jannah. so, it may be haram and it may not be... I would rather NOT take the chance. Surely if I give up music because it MAY be haram, Allah SWT KNOWS my intention and will inshallah take it into account.

This is what I do, but I am not to judge anyone. Allah SWT is the only one that can do that:D:tti_sister:

AliIbanez

A Stranger in Dunyah
Two things I've noticed about music..it bothers me and it twist my emotion. So I'd rather stay away from it.

Assalamualaikum

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
Salaam Alikom

:salam2:

Every Muslim whom I've met in life (aside from the ones on TTI) told me that Music isn't haram, it's just something to be careful of. If you let it take over your life, then that is obviously a problem. I don't mean to be rude, but the whole issue with music being haram is actually clash of cultures. You have Muslim in diffrent cultures who listen to music and they still pray 5 times a day and do other Islamic things where as on the other hand you have people who view Islam in a very extremist manner. My point is that as long as people manage to juggle Islam and Music in an appropriate manner, you will be fine. I've literally seen some Muslims freak and start screaming when I play a song on my laptop. They start screaming stuff like "The jinn is inside me" and all that nonsense.

If you take my opinion of Music and Islam the wrong way then you may think I'm against Islam, but I'm not.

What I want to get through to people is this: Allah gave you a mind and creativity is a gift that some people possess given to them by Allah. Not everyone thinks black and white. If you are not allowed to use your creativity, then you might as well be brain-dead. I can see how some people may have a problem with music such as the modern day rap. The content in that are really degrading, however there are also other music which are not degrading and can teach a valuable lesson.

*I'm not going to name any names, but for the mod who deleted my previous post about Music, if you are reading this, please allow others to read my comment before you take away my right to free speech. Thanks!!*

Well brother I will ask you few questions, you might find it rude but this not my intention but I want you to ask yourself these questions.

Do you think we know better than the prophet peace be up on him?
He never listned to music and it was avilable at the time of the prophet peace be up on him, so its not from Sunnah ( now days we think that sunnah is things we dont need to do but at the time of the companion it was like obligatory)

Do you think we are better than the companion of the prophet peace be up on him ?

None and I repeat none of the companion of the prophet peace be up on him listened to music or allowed it, so do you think you are on sunnah of the prophet peace be up on him if you listening ?

If you are not allowed to use your creativity, then you might as well be brain-dead

Well brother, you can be creative but if you going to be creative in haram thing then its your decision you will be answering Allah for your creativity not us, usually when a person keep listening to certain things first thing usually come on his tonque is what he repeat through out the day... so as the brother mentioned in the story last thing the dead people remebered on thier tonque was a song !!

Either your heart will open up for Quran or for songs so you decide ...you can not have both of them together in your heart.

Either your heart will enjoy the Quran or it will enjoy the Songs and Music its your choice !!

The prophet peace be on him said whos last word was the
:shahadah: will enter jannah, well imagen if some ones last words will be a part of songs,

Every Muslim whom I've met in life (aside from the ones on TTI) told me that Music isn't haram, it's just something to be careful of

I really dont know where these Muslim you hang out with said its Halaal are they scholars ? do they have deep Islamic study of Sharihaa?

unless they also listen to Music then ofcourse they will say its Ok to listen to Music.

Do you think , we know better than the Scholar of the Ummah, ( the prophet peace be up on him called him he is the scholar of this Ummah )
do you who is the scholar of the Ummah ...... He is Ibn Abbaas

Ibn Abbaas says music its a mazameer Shaytan ( player of Shaytan) I think he knows better than us.

Allah said in Quran
“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…” [Luqmaan 31:6]

The scholar of the ummah, Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: this means singing.

Do we know better than the other scholar of Islam ?

Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this aayah was revealed concerning singing and musical instruments (lit. woodwind instruments). (Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/451).

Again...
Abu’l-Sahbaa’ said: I asked Ibn Mas’ood about the aayah (interpretation of the meaning), ‘“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks’ [Luqmaan 31:6]. He said: By Allaah, besides Whom there is no other god, this means singing – and he repeated it three times

It was reported from Abu Umaamah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not sell singing slave women, do not buy them and do not teach them. There is nothing good in this trade, and their price is haraam. Concerning such things as this the aayah was revealed [/COLOR](interpretation of the meaning): ‘And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…’ [Luqmaan 31:6].” (Hasan hadeeth)

The views of the scholars (imaams) of Islam

Al-Qaasim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Singing is part of falsehood. Al-Hasan (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: if there is music involved in a dinner invitation (waleemah), do not accept the invitation (al-Jaami by al-Qayrawaani, p. 262-263).

Al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The four madhhabs are agreed that all musical instruments are haraam. (al-Saheehah, 1/145).

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The view of the four Imaams is that all kinds of musical instruments are haraam. It was reported in Saheeh al-Bukhaari and elsewhere that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that there would be among his ummah those who would allow zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments, and he said that they would be transformed into monkeys and pigs… None of the followers of the imaams mentioned any dispute concerning the matter of music. (al-Majmoo’, 11/576).

I am not sure where you from but if you from East Asia where they follow the Mazhaab Abu Hanieefah

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The madhhab of Abu Haneefah is the strictest in this regard, and his comments are among the harshest. His companions clearly stated that it is haraam to listen to all musical instruments such as the flute and the drum, even tapping a stick

there are many more but its up to you to follow what the scholars say or what your friends say

My point is that as long as people manage to juggle Islam and Music in an appropriate manner

What concept is this ? where did you get it from ?

if the prophet peace be up on him said in the meaninf of the Hadith: What is Halal is clear and what is Haram is clear. Midway between them are things which people do not know whether they are Halal or Haram. He who keeps away from them will protect his religion and will be saved. He who aproaches them is very near to Haram, like a shepherd wandering his flock near Hima (protected grazing land), who could soon enter the forbidden area, and Allah’s protected area is what He has declared forbidden.”

its up to you to follow or not to follow the sunnah of the prophet peace be up on him, I wont gain or any of the brothers and sisters anything from you, if you stop listening to music but if the prophet peace be up on him didnt do it and his companion didnt do it after him. Do you think you or me are better than them to listen to music?

at the end its your choice !! after reading the opnion of the scholars you still not convinced then follow your own decision and the opinion of those who are telling you the music is halaal !! and you will be answering Allah s.w.t but remeber the hadith of halaal is clear and haraam is clear ...

Wa jazaak Allah Khair,

Wa salaam Alikom

Allahu_Hassbi

its up to you to follow or not to follow the sunnah of the prophet peace be up on him, I wont gain or any of the brothers and sisters anything from you, if you stop listening to music but if the prophet peace be up on him didnt do it and his companion didnt do it after him. Do you think you or me are better than them to listen to music?

Subhanallah!!!!!!
Well clarified :ma:
I pray Allah SWT include it in your Mizaanul hasanat Inshallah.
:SMILY346::jumpclap:

al-muslimah

salam o alikom

for those attached to music please keep in your mind this hadeeth.

“Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91). ''

So if can't get ride of your desire to music, pray allah to help you BUT don't be amongs those people make it halal.

May allah help us to improve our knoweldge and eman .

Well said, and Amin to your doa'a.