I want to stop

Storm

SiStEr
I really want to stop listening to music, I’m not addicted or anything but it seems hard, like all bad things.

I've tried not to listen to music but I do listen to Sami Yusuf sometimes. I'll leave that, but I watch tv, for e.g news, movies or educational programs but they have music too. I don’t know what to do.
Please pray for me. May Allah make it easy, ameen.

Faiza619

Strangers on earth
I really want to stop listening to music, I’m not addicted or anything but it seems hard, like all bad things.

I've tried not to listen to music but I do listen to Sami Yusuf sometimes. I'll leave that, but I watch tv, for e.g news, movies or educational programs but they have music too. I don’t know what to do.
Please pray for me. May Allah make it easy, ameen.

:salam2:

My dear that is the first step you are taking and if you just tell yourself today i will read the quraan instead of listening to music even if i sleep then you will do it. i am just like you i try but i always opt for nasheeds because :astag: my ears are used to listening to music.
i am planning to also do the same.
Read the Quraan even if i sleep and inshaalah i will get used to it and eventually you will find it easy.
I will keep you in my duaahs and inshaalah you keep me in yours.

Your sister in Islam
Faiza

bintul islam

biz musulmanikh
It was very hard for me to give up music as well, I was never addicted to it in the first place but I just had a few selected songs which I loved because of the memories it would bring. Later I came to the realisation that music was haram, no ifs or buts. I remember holding my songs in my palms real hard and wishing I didn't have to give them away, then I thought, anything for Allah sw. I wouldn't like it if Allah sw hesitated to answer my prayers so why should I hesistate to answer Allah sw call. With that thought I gave them away. I now sometimes listen to Islamic nasheed, but sis, seriously, nasheeds seems to have the same effect on me as did those songs so I try not to listen to nasheeds as well. I hope it doesnt become cliche but I highly recommend you listen to the quran, imagine the quran having the emotional effect on you that music has, well you know what, the quran has a greater effect. As a muslim it has been made obligatory on me to invite to the good and forbid the evil so I hope I did that with this quick reply.

AnAngelofWood

Thankful for my deen
I believe music is one thing that I will have a harder time giving up then other things. I believe this is likely more because my entire family always had music around them or played musical instruments. So, it is a matter of habit and, as the one sister said, the memories that are associated with many of the songs. I mentioned in another thread that I often sing to Allah. They are what one sister referred to as nasheeds. However, as I stated to her. I do not feel that my songs are for general listening. I believe they are strictly for Allah. I too need the prayers of all as I seek to do what is right.

I would also ask that as you pray for me that you will pray for me to have greater patience. This journey into learning about Islam seemed to be going so fast at first, but seems to have slowed down a lot. I know I must be patient. Allah knows best and there must be a reason for this.

Meraj

Brother
Dear Sister just remember one thing that...Quran and music wil never coexhist in ones heart.....one has to give up one of them....
InshaAllah i wil remember u in my duas....
:wasalam:

Sa'diyah

asaalamu alaikum

I am a bit confused. Why can't you listen to music? Is it a certain kind of music, or all music?

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
please don't tell to everyone

As Salaam Alaykum Akhee,

I'm assuming that (most of the forms of) music is a sin. Please donot disclose your sins to the public.

I heard hadeeth saying that Allah will forgive sins which are between HIM and his slave...AllahuAalam!

dianne

i didnt listen to music more than a year! somebody in here i heard more than 5years,hehe

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Is Music Haram?
Al-Haadi Vol. 10 Issue No. 4

Q: Is music haraam? Some people are propagating the view that it is not Haraam. Many Islamic songs are sung with the playing of the duff. Is it permissible to listen to them? Also, some Islamic songs are recorded with the zikr of “Allah” played in the background. It sounds very much like drums are being played. However, it is a group of people who are saying “Allah” in unison. Is there any problem in listening to this?

A: Hazrath Anas (R.A.) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “There will certainly be people from my Ummah who will attempt to legalize fornication, the wearing of silk (for males), the consuming of wine and the use of musical instruments” (Al-Jaamius Sagheer - Pg. 139). Indeed this prophesy of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) is glaring before us. Despite the clear prohibition of the use of musical instruments, great efforts are being made to “legalize” their use. While some people wish to declare all music permissible, others are opening the door slowly by declaring that only the use of the “duff” is permissible. Thus it is necessary to examine the reality of these claims in the light of the Qur’an and Sunnah.

In Surah Luqman Allah Ta’ala declares:

“And among the people are those who purchase idle talk in order to mislead others from the path of Allah in ignorance.”
Hazrath Abdullah bin Masood (R.A.) states emphatically that this verse was revealed regarding singing and musical instruments. The same has been reported from Hazrath Abdullah bin Abbas (R.A.) and Hazrath Jaabir (R.A.) (Tafseer Qurtubi). Thus when these illustrious students of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), who witnessed the revelation of the aayaat (verses) of the Qur’an are clear that this verse prohibits music and musical instruments, the “view” of any twentieth century “scholar” to the contrary holds no weight.

BLOCK OUT SOUND

Various Ahadith also clearly prohibit music and the use of musical instruments. Hazrath Abdullah bin Umar (R.A.) reports that once Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) heard the sound of the flute of a shepherd. He immediately placed his fingers into his ears (to block out the sound) (Musnad Ahmad). How tragic it is that our beloved Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) blocks his ears to the sound of music but his Ummah opens their ears wide to the same sounds. In another narration Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) is reported to have said: “ Verily Allah Ta’ala has sent me as a guidance and as a mercy to the Believers and He has commanded me to destroy musical instruments” (Musnad Ahmad).

DUFF

As for the duff, it is also a musical instrument and therefore it will primarily be included in the above prohibition. However, some concession was given for the use of the duff on the occasion of a Nikah. The Sahaaba (R.A.), who were the direct students of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) understood the commands of the Qur’an and Hadith far better than we can ever hope to understand. It is reported regarding Hazrath Umar (R.A.) that if he heard the sound of a duff he would immediately send somebody to investigate. If it was found to be the occasion of a Walima, he would not do anything. Otherwise he would go for his whip (i.e. he would forcefully stop the playing of the duff) (Fathul Qadeer - Vol. 6, Pg. 389).

EXTRACTING LAWS

Nevertheless, to extract the laws of Shariah directly from the Qur’an and Sunnah is possible only for one who is a mujtahid [in the calibre of the four great Imaams viz. Imaam Abu Hanifa (R.A.), Imaam Malik (R.A.), Imaam Shaafi (R.A.) and Imaam Ahmad bin Hambal (R.A.)]. Together with an expert in-depth knowledge of the Qur’an and hundreds of thousands of Ahadith, they had also mastered all the numerous sciences pertaining to the Qur’an and Sunnah.

According to the Zaahirur Riwayah (the most authentic narrations) of the Hanafi school of thought, the use of the duff is completely disallowed. Latter day scholars who have attributed a restricted permissibility to the Hanafi school have erred. This complete disallowal is based on the Juristic principle of “saddan lil baab” i.e. to restrict an act that would invariably lead to impermissible actions.

The Shafi’ee Ulama have permitted the use of the duff only on the occasion of a walima subject to several conditions. Allamah Ibn Hajar Makki, Shafi’ee has detailed the various conditions, among which is that the duff should not be beaten in a manner that produces a musical sound, but rather just a simple beating which does not produce any tune or melody. Only the palms may be used to beat the duff and not the fingers. It should also be beaten only for a short while. Having stated this he says that “in our era it is makrooh to beat the duff” (since people cannot fulfil the stringent conditions).

Therefore in the light of the above one should not listen to such nazams which are accompanied by the playing of the duff.

As Salaam Alaykum Akhee,

I'm assuming that (most of the forms of) music is a sin. Please donot disclose your sins to the public.

I heard hadeeth saying that Allah will forgive sins which are between HIM and his slave...AllahuAalam!

I think he needed some tipss or advise how to avod listning music, not discussing about his sin. For that reason he told that or!

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Yes and this is a forum, a place to go and ask questions, to look for Islamic solutions. Some people are the only Muslims they know, please have some understanding...................

its actually quite easy to stop listening to music jz delete all ur music channels n delete those limewire programmes n wallah ...... its been quite a while since ive listened to a whole sound track however i do hear bits of them when some shiny car goes by with its audio loud:angryred:

sal12

I was addicted to music like seriously addicted! I have cut down a lot! I cut down after ramadhan, not because I wanted to but it just happened. I think because I didn't listen to it for the whole month I just got bored of it. I still do listen to music and like u said in adverts and stuff it's always there and it's hard to avoid it. I think what u need to do is cut down slowly slowly not all at once coz then you'll just go mad and give up! I mean I still listen to it but it'd be like 2 songs a week or something and it'd be on the music channels. I don't listen to sami yusuf coz for some reason I think that's worse, you know mixing music and Islam astaghfirullah. If u want to listen to music I'd recommend Ahmed Bukhatir. He doesn't use music I don't think and his songs don't have the same effect as music does, it's different. Listen to Last Breath by Ahmed Bukhatir (i think that's what hes called and I think that's the name of the song) This song will scare the crap out of u! U won't wanna listen to music again! lol

Also Allah knows ur intentions and what's in our heart so always remember that.

Ma'asalama

its actually quite easy to stop listening to music jz delete all ur music channels n delete those limewire programmes n wallah ...:

thats a good one. I had broken all my CD´s in 3 piece and through in dustbin. And deleted all files from PC. And now i am alone. ALhamdulillah. DOnt give yourself chance to hear music. If you have money to buy a CD then spend that money in mosque before you buy any CD. If you download any song then think thats its illegal to download.

mosabaig

Replacement is better

:subhanallah::subhanallah::subhanallah::subhanallah::salam2:

We have two enemies, one is inside and other is outside.
We have to overcome them other wise they will take us towards disobdience of Allah and on a path of ruins.:astag::astag::astag:and remberance of Allah is our protection against these enemies. Keep the company of pious friends they are helpers to stay on the straight path my brother.:SMILY139::SMILY139:

AnAngelofWood

Thankful for my deen
I know this thread was started by Storm, but it has affected me in a way that seems very strange to me. The reason it's strange is that with my first reply I stated that I imagined that giving up listening to music would be the hardest thing for me, but suddenly upon reading these last few posts, it was as if the "need" to listen to music just disappeared. I don't even want to listen to any music. I have never not wanted to listen to music. I am entirely stunned by this, but all I can believe with this is that this is the will of Allah. I can't begin to express the feeling of amazement I am having right now.:ma: