Why should we experience pain?!

farhopes

No God but Allah
Pain

If we look contemplatively at life, we will see that pain is inevitable and inescapable. It is, with its all various and different shapes – pain of deprivation, failure, going astray, oppression, disability or illness, an essential component of life. There is no life without pain. It is simply the ordinance of life. So whoever imagines or plans for his life without including experiencing pain in his account will be greatly deceiving himself.

Since we accept that we can never experience real life without gulping the cup of pain and trials, we should at least try to understand that inevitable partner of life. I myself always see pain as great power and violent energy. I think it is the only power that has the ability to make radical and deep change in our hearts, our souls and our minds as well. I always like to resemble it to fire that is aimed to reconfigure our minds purify our hearts and refine our souls.
There is no doubt that we change after experiencing pain and that change is sometimes deep and radical. I think the main reason for this serious and radical change is the violent and sudden ruin of our high and magnificent palaces – the palaces of our great expectations and hopes in life. We spend a lot of time building such imaginative palaces and we never think of pain as an inescapable destiny that may be a real threat to such magnificent palaces. That is why we always get horribly shocked when pain comes suddenly to frustrate all our magnificent plans. We feel horribly shocked when we taste that bitter savor of loss. It is not only the loss of our great expectations, but also loss of that false belief that we have control over our own destiny- the false sense of being secure. Pain comes to tell us how powerless, helpless and ignorant we are. It smashes our arrogance and puts our hand on our innate weakness. It unveils our vulnerability that we always refuse to admit. As a result we dive in deep grief.

I think it is that deep grief that is considered the great power and violent energy that drives that radical change in our hearts, our souls and our minds as well. It smelts the coat of hardness and severity that wraps the heart to leave it as transparent and soft as the heart of an innocent child. The power of pain melts the heart and causes it to be so sensitive that it can easily recognize the pain of others and sympathize with them. It also refines the soul. It erases that vicious heap of arrogance, self-conceit, greed and being deceived by whims. That deep grief is the great power, or we can say the fire that melts our hearts and purifies our souls. It is the power that smashes our arrogance and brings us back to our innate goodness.

Sometimes the impact of pain goes beyond purification of hearts and refining of souls. For some people pain can be the great power and violent energy that generates creativity and breeds ingenuity. In such cases pain represents the challenge those people need to change their big loss to magnificent success. It is their incentive that releases all their latent gifts and hidden abilities. The great and violent power of pain reconfigures their minds and sleeks their insight so that they can see the wisdom of life.

Amany

ARMANI

This is a good article..
Well after reading it all i can say..
Life is pain and i am use to it now..

NaXuS

just few thoughts on the topic......

With out darkness you cant understand light and with out pain you cant understand pleasure but i say both pain and pleasure are trials and each one make you climb a higher level of enlightment...but pain cant be there if you are on the mercy of a all powerfull God....

Darkness cease to exist with existence of light or it start decreasing with the increase in the intensity of light....some time we are so addicted to pain that we just don,t want to see any pleasure in our life or we simply ignore the existence of happiness in our life....

The world now a days over buden our souls or blind us with the fear of a future for which they have no guarntee but well they just want to live you in fear.....from the tension of good education to a great status in society is all created by us or the world or the dunya but not by Allah....instead he creat a hope for us by raising us each day from a death called sleep to again have a chance to earn good deeds for the next life.....

for a person who had to think ahead of the next 25 years of his or her life...life is pain...there is no question about it...i means one day of a life is so tough and a person is thinking about the next 25 years of his/her life....so much to think about that there is no chance even to take a breath ...

but if a person just had to think about one day of his or her life then what will life be....off course each second each hour will be precious ....no time to waste but to spend....

5 prayers in a day easily fix the resting point for a soul where it has nothing to think about but to surrender his will to Allah...at the end there is a thanks and also there is a hope....thanks for making it to the prayer and hope to have a life until the next prayer.....again so much precious time in between where one have to take each second as a precious gift ....a gift is never pain ful...instead its a pleasure or a sense of happiness or even better "peace" .......

but for all that surrender to Allah is necessary and the 5 prayers are also in a way is just a reminder of that surrender....

Inshallah

Pain helps us appreciate pleasure.

If all of life was pleasurable.... how boring would that be? Pain helps us learn more / different things and helps us grow. Allah allows pain to instruct us.

halah

:salam2:

Masha'Allah,you always amaze me with such posts,you do have a wise mentality my dear friend as many many people cann't get that deep meannings behind the pain whatever it is physical or emotinal pain but breifly
life without pain is the Paradise.May Allah gather us all in jannatul firdaus:tti_sister:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Pain is creativity. We use our mental and spritual faculties to overcome pain. I can not but think of our detained brothers and how they have not given up on life. I think of what are traditionally considered the Negro Sprituals and how they celebrate life. I think of our brohters and sisters in Palestine and how they hold on to life.
Beyond pain is liberty. Our Prophet (swas) suffered many agonies. He showed us the path of courage. Pain is the sister of courage. Thank you for making us think.

farhopes

No God but Allah
Assalamo alikom

Dearest friends, :)

May Alla reward you all for your encouraging words...you have made my day!! :hearts:

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
Assalamu alaikum,

I recognize the great thoughts that went into this post. However, I am inclined to ask if this is turntobuddhism.com . A cursory look at this belief system quickly turns up the "First Noble Truth" which states that life is pain. As mu'umin, we really shouldn't ask why we experience pain.

This is the meaning of inshallah. If Allah wills...I will get a new car...I will pass the bar exam...I will die this afternoon.

I'm not saying that I am a robot, far from it. I have had my moments on top of the mountain, and I've spent my time in the pit. Ups, and downs, physical, emotional, and spiritual are all just to be accepted. Submission (to the will of Allah)...Islam...

Many times what we percieve as pain may have no good or explainable reason. After all, we are very limited, finite beings trying to comprehend the will of es Saboor; it is simply not possible.

As many of you know, I was not a born muslim. Since I was a little boy, I was set to study the bible. So, my command of the torah and injeel is still much greater than my knowledge of the Holy Qu'aran. So, off the top of my head, I cannot pull up quotes from the Qu'aran or hadith to support my view. I am sorry about that, but I am sure there are brothers and sisters out there who can fill in the gaps for me.

wa salam

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
Assalamu alaikum,

I recognize the great thoughts that went into this post. However, I am inclined to ask if this is turntobuddhism.com . A cursory look at this belief system quickly turns up the "First Noble Truth" which states that life is pain. As mu'umin, we really shouldn't ask why we experience pain.

This is the meaning of inshallah. If Allah wills...I will get a new car...I will pass the bar exam...I will die this afternoon.

I'm not saying that I am a robot, far from it. I have had my moments on top of the mountain, and I've spent my time in the pit. Ups, and downs, physical, emotional, and spiritual are all just to be accepted. Submission (to the will of Allah)...Islam...

Many times what we percieve as pain may have no good or explainable reason. After all, we are very limited, finite beings trying to comprehend the will of es Saboor; it is simply not possible.

As many of you know, I was not a born muslim. Since I was a little boy, I was set to study the bible. So, my command of the torah and injeel is still much greater than my knowledge of the Holy Qu'aran. So, off the top of my head, I cannot pull up quotes from the Qu'aran or hadith to support my view. I am sorry about that, but I am sure there are brothers and sisters out there who can fill in the gaps for me.

wa salam

Assalam,

Ok its true everything happens by Allah SWT and it is important to say inshallah but may i remind you that all of us are born Muslim and don't know anthing about a buddhism or their systems. I don't have enough knowledge to fill the gaps for you but what you said is true.

farhopes

No God but Allah
Assalamo alikom

Assalamu alaikum,

wa salam

Brother, first, jazak Allah khair for considering my thoughts great.

Secondly, Alhamdolillah I was born as Muslim and I consider Islam the greatest grace Allah sobhanahu wa Ta'laa bestowed on me. Moreover, I never read anything about Buddism as I'm just interested in reading about Islam and that is why I'm here.

Thirdly, I just wanna you read this verse and ponder it:

"2 Do people think that they will be left alone because they say: "We believe," and will not be tested.
3 And We indeed tested those who were before them. And Allah will certainly make (it) known (the truth of) those who are true, and will certainly make (it) known (the falsehood of) those who are liars, (although Allah knows all that before putting them to test). "
(29-2,3)

And ponder this Hadith from Sahih Al-Bukhari:

(11) Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "If Allah wants to do good to somebody, He afflicts him with trials." (Book #70, Hadith #548)

I just tried to explore the graces that Allah sobhanahu wa ta'la has put in trials as everything from Him is always Khair.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

First I need to restate this is a good post. Second, Brother American Muslim I am so glad you found your glasses as we have surely missed your posts.

Hey, I was speaking of both physical and spritual suffering. We have examples in the Quran. All people are tested and pain is a form of testing. In a simplistic example when the Prophet (swas) received some of the revelations it was physical pain for him. And we are told of the pain of death.

Remember pain is critical to humans. It is a great motivator. Much literature in the fields of psychology, theology, and philosophy are devoted to this sujbect.

The language of reverence is the same. ttb would be a sweet venture but tti is the real thing.

This post has been a gift to me from Allah subhana talla. I was seriously contemplating leaving and this posts comes along.

islam4lyf

Happy 2 b a muslim!!
Salams

Jazakhallah for sharing!! i also wanted to share an text that i recieved from my friend:

" ALLAH Said: if you never felt paim, or experienced problems, how would you know i'm a Healer?
If you never made a mistake, how would you know I'm Forgiving?
If you were never hurt, how would you know i can Comfort you?
If your life was perfect, then why would you need me?"
Allah Hu Akbar
I just thought it was such a beautiful text to share with you all!!!!

Wasalam

farhopes

No God but Allah
Salams

Jazakhallah for sharing!! i also wanted to share an text that i recieved from my friend:

" ALLAH Said: if you never felt paim, or experienced problems, how would you know i'm a Healer?
If you never made a mistake, how would you know I'm Forgiving?
If you were never hurt, how would you know i can Comfort you?
If your life was perfect, then why would you need me?"
Allah Hu Akbar
I just thought it was such a beautiful text to share with you all!!!!

Wasalam

Jazaki Alla kair, sister for this beautiful post :)