Gay friends??

Jasmiah

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salaam alaikum brothers and sisters,

I need some advice!
i have a friend who is very interested in Islam, she has been studying it for a while and is seriously thinking about reverting. Although she has a problem, she has many friends very close friends who are gay, and wondered how this would affect her if she was muslim?? can anyone one give some easy to explain advise on this so i can let her no?? it would be really appreciated as i dont want this to hold her back from getting on the right path.

Thanks Jasmiah x

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
:salam2:

This shouldn't really affect her so long as she doesn't have similar tendencies as her friends.... I honestly think that you should forget about her friends and focus on helping her along the path to Islam, sounds like she seems really close to embracing this wonderful deen.

Any attempt by you to even hint at her severing friendships might alienate her so tread carefully. Inshallah, showing her the beauty of Islam will be enough. If there are any complications which show themselves down the line, then they can be dealt with when they arise. Inshallah all goes well for you and your friend :)

wasalam

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
Salaam,

I don't have enough knowledge about the girl gay friend but i know in Islam she shouldn't be friends with a boy period. Correct me someone if i am wrong please.

Jasmiah

i have helped my friend as much as i possibly can, i am not holding her back from becoming muslim, the situation with her friends who are gay is her reason for not being muslim as she wanted to believe in every aspect of Islam. she doesnt have a problem with gay people and see's nothing wrong with being gay. This contradicts Islam so this is where she has the problem. Also both men and women can be gay

amy

What is the problem in having male friends aslong as you are not being alone etc with hem i dont understand the problem. it is difficult to go through life and not meet males who over time become friends. for example at work etc.
I am a revert to islam and am not 100% sure on that but i have many male friends at work and dont see the problem?

aishajor

salam

i have male friends through my husband....

i don't see a problem with it, i find women like to back bite to much so prefer to be friends with men.

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

Life would appear to be so much easier if we done things in ways which we desire or we think makes sense through our limited logic. Comments like 'I don't think there's nothing wrong with being friends with guys' are really niave. Whatever we do, we must follow the islamic way if we claim to be muslims, whether we understand it or not. ultimately there is great Wisdom behind it (in this case it is clear to see) and who is Wiser than Allah (Glory be to Him).

Don't have the time at the moment to link to articles or posts regarding this matter but There's a great search bar at the top which will bring up so many great posts on this topic. Take care all :)

wasalam

irish_muslim_08

It is really down to the indiviual. Whislt homosexuality is forbidden in all religions, from Judaism to Islam, it really is Allah's right to judge us for our actions. As Muslims, all we can do is offer advice, but we can not dictate the life another person should lead.

:salah:

Jasmiah

No disrespect Abdul Raheem, but your advice comes across very patronising. I am on here asking advice so that i can help a close friend in becoming muslim. All you know of the situation is what i write here so please dont try and tell me how i maybe hindering her from reverting when that was not the question and is totally not true!! the advice i wanted was in regards to the information i posted thats it.

Jasmiah

It is really down to the indiviual. Whislt homosexuality is forbidden in all religions, from Judaism to Islam, it really is Allah's right to judge us for our actions. As Muslims, all we can do is offer advice, but we can not dictate the life another person should lead.

:salah:

That is so true!!!:hijabi:

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
No disrespect Abdul Raheem, but your advice comes across very patronising. I am on here asking advice so that i can help a close friend in becoming muslim. All you know of the situation is what i write here so please dont try and tell me how i maybe hindering her from reverting when that was not the question and is totally not true!! the advice i wanted was in regards to the information i posted thats it.

I am in no way patronising you dear Sister :redface: That's the downside of communicating on a forum, everything you say is liable to misinterpretation by the individual reading it or taken the wrong way, you'll see that sooner or later.

In fact, the majority of problems arising on the forum are as a direct result of that. Please don't think I'm patronising you (haven't really mastered that technique yet :)) and haven't in any way implied in my post that you were hindering your friend from Islam, infact I've stated the opposite if you go over my reply again. Take care and God Bless

wasalam

almujaahid

Allah (swt) says in the Quran:

"Let not the believers take the disbelievers as Auliyâ (friends, supporters, helpers, etc.) instead of the believers, and whoever does that will never be helped by Allâh in any way, except if you indeed fear a danger from them. And Allâh warns you against Himself (His Punishment), and to Allâh is the final return." [3:28]

You should not take any disbelievers as your friends, especially GAY friends because this is TOTALLY HARAM!

elixbrody

Eli/Sister
I personally have gay friends, I don't see a problem because they are he ones who are gay and I will never be gay myself. So I think you should focus on her, and she will, later on, decide if they are good influences or not.

The only thing I say is it's fine if your friends are gay or drunk and whatnot as long as you keep your mind focused on whatever your principles are :)

AnAngelofWood

Thankful for my deen
Allah (swt) says in the Quran:

"Let not the believers take the disbelievers as Auliyâ (friends, supporters, helpers, etc.) instead of the believers, and whoever does that will never be helped by Allâh in any way, except if you indeed fear a danger from them. And Allâh warns you against Himself (His Punishment), and to Allâh is the final return." [3:28]

You should not take any disbelievers as your friends, especially GAY friends because this is TOTALLY HARAM!

Now, see I get another meaning with this. It says to me that we should not choose disbelievers OVER believers as friends. To me, this means that a person, such as myself, may have gay friends (or any non believer as a friend) so long as these are not my sole lot of friends. A person who chooses to surround themselves with non believers is far more likely to fall into a similar lifestyle.

I am not saying that anyone who is gay can or will be transformed into a devout Muslim be hanging around a Muslim, but honestly, how can you hope to truly influence, for the good, someone who is a non-believer if you are not allowed to friendship with them to some degree? I have known men who are "gay" but chose not to live the lifestyle due to good influences around them.