Islam & Body Modifications

elixbrody

Eli/Sister
:salam2:

Remember I am new to this and I've got this doubt I believe hasn't been treated before, I want to know what does Islam say about body modifications meaning tatoos & piercings, mainly because I want to have some someday,but I want to be muslim most. But also because I have some now, fortunatelly I don't have tatoos if that means a problem. But I do have piercings, and I like my piercings a lot, I have 2 on my left ear and 4 in the right one, but 2 of the 4 are one piercing that goes from side to side of my ear I wanted to know if this means I can not be a muslim, or if I can live with them and it will be fine. Or if in the future I can do more

Thanks a lot for taking your time with this

allah razi olsun

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As for the ruling on what you're asking, then the Messenger of Allaah, peace and blessings be upon him cursed the tattooer and the one being tattooed. And piercings are allowed, to a limited extent. The reasons are due to the prohibition in Islaam of changing the creation of Allaah (please not that this doesn't include for example, cutting one's hair). Here are some fataawaa (verdicts) taken from www.islamqa.com.

Piercing the ears more than once​

Question:
Is it haram in islam for a girl to pierce her ears more than once, as some people say it is imitating non muslims?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible for a woman to pierce her ears in order to wear earrings, according to the majority of fuqaha’.

In al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah (11/272) it says: The majority of fuqaha’ are of the view that piercing a girl’s ears so that she may wear earrings is permissible. The people used to do that at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he did not denounce it. It was narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed two rak’ahs on the day of Eid, and he did not offer any other prayer before or after them, then he went to the women – accompanied by Bilaal – and told them to give charity, and the women started giving their earrings. End quote.

See also: Tabyeen al-Haqaa’iq (6.227), al-Insaaf (1/125) and al-Adaab al-Shar’iyyah (3/341).

The scholars of the Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas were asked: Is it permissible to pierce a girl’s ears so that she can wear earrings?

They replied: That is permissible, because it is for adornment, not for harming or changing the creation of Allaah, and because that was the custom during the Jaahiliyyah and at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he did not forbid it, rather he approved of it as did his companions (may Allaah be pleased with them). End quote.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (17/139).

But one should adhere to that which is customary. If the custom is to have only one hole, then you should not do more than that, because that is sufficient for adornment, and doing more than that may be causing pain for no benefit, as well as being odd or trying to show off.

It is haraam to pierce the ears more than once and wear more than one earring if that is done in imitation of kaafir women.

What is meant by imitation is if there is a specific way of wearing earrings that is done only by some kaafir women. In that case it is haraam for Muslim women to imitate them.

Islam Q&A

Are Tattoos Haram in Islam

Question:
Are Tattoos Haram in Islam ? if not , which symbols are haram ? I know hurting the body on purpose is Haram , but if tattoo doesnt hurt the body , is it still Haram , can u please clear all that for me.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Tattooing, in which the skin is pierced with a needle and a blue or other coloured dye is injected, is haraam in all forms, whether it causes pain or not, because it involves changing the creation of Allaah, and because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does tattoos and the one for whom that is done. In al-Saheehayn it is narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “May Allaah curse the women who do tattoos and those for whom tattoos are done, those who pluck their eyebrows and those who file their teeth for the purpose of beautification and alter the creation of Allaah.” (al-Bukhaari, al-Libaas, 5587; Muslim, al-Libaas, 5538).

With regard to all these matters, the ahaadeeth testify that the one who does them is cursed and that they are major sins. There is some difference of scholarly opinion as to the reason why they are forbidden. It was said that it is because they are a form of deception, and it was said that it is because it is a way of changing the creation of Allaah, as Ibn Mas’ood said – which is more correct and also includes the first meaning. And it was suggested that what is forbidden is only that which is permanent, because that is changing the creation of Allaah; as for that which is not permanent, such as kohl which used for adornment by women, that is permitted by the scholars. (Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 5/393).

So if what is referred to in the question is that which is not permanent, then it is not a tattoo as such and does not change the creation of Allaah. See question no. 8904.

Islam Q&A

GAZIJA

Staff member
Esselamu Aleikum(peace be upon you) sister

any writting on your body is forbiden in islam, meaning tatoos. for pearcing as far as I know is allowed and there is no problem for girls. I hope somebody will present fatwa or answer from a scholar.

weselam

bintul islam

biz musulmanikh
You must be turkish or Turkman right? So am I!!!

I have three piercings in each of my ear...and I have never come across anything that shuns it, of course, tattoos are a big no no but piercings, I dont see anything wrong with it islamically. I won't get any more piercings in the future and if I have a daughter, I personally won't peirce her ears, but that's just me.

allah razi olsun

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

I think Elizabeth is actually Mexican. Maybe she learnt that from some Turkish Muslims. I thought the same till I saw it say Mexico lol.

elixbrody

Eli/Sister
Thanks brothers and sisters for your answers
well I am indeed Mexican but I learned that from a turk I want to know all the phrases you say this person told me that one

Thanks for your answers I will stay away from tatoos now

Hello Elizabeth,

I hope the brothers/sisters have helped answer your questions. Just to further elaborate, tatoos are really not acceptable in the business & professional world as well. You don't want to risk that chance. Image is very important.

Also you want to keep in mind, what kind of example you'll be one day for your kids. They might see you and say it's okay that you have one tattoos ,but I'm going to do my whole body, where is the line? You also want to maintain a moral society. The human body is sacred, but many people abuse it.

elixbrody

Eli/Sister
I've also thought about that but business is not as relevant as the islam at least for me and mainly because I'm a graphic designer so they don't care much about my looks

As far as kids that's also important to consider thanks

BTW I don't like where it says quiet memeber :(

Angela Hillyer

Salam alaikom brothers and sisters

Ok so you answered ear peircings but what about facial peircings?? eg Nose, tongue???

Does anyone know anything about that??

Salam

mahdi

i have another question, what about braces, are they changing the creation of God, i know somepeople who had them because their teath were not stright, and because of that , they had difficulties eating, and also breathing. so my question is is't allowed?

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

i have four tattoos. i always heard bad things about them but i was still a bit too young to really understand the consequences. today i hate my tattoos. it's a very ignorant thing to do. i have even discouraged myself from going on hajj or umrah because i didn't want people to see them while i wear ihram. i wonder if it would be permissible to put concealer over them while wearing ihram.

i do feel that part of the repentance of having had tattoos is to not glorify them and not to get anymore, and to always feel remorse for having done so.
:wasalam:

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Salam alaikom brothers and sisters

Ok so you answered ear peircings but what about facial peircings?? eg Nose, tongue???

Does anyone know anything about that??

Salam

:wasalam:

Question:
Is it permissible for a Muslim teenager who wears hijab to pierce her nose or eyebrow?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is better not to do this, because it serves no purpose and causes pain and mutilation to the nose, and more so in the case of the eyebrow, by making holes in them. With regard to piercing the earlobes in order to wear earrings, this was the custom of women at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), so it is better to limit ourselves to that.

Written by Shaykh ‘Abd al-Rahmaan al-Barraak - IslamQA

Question:
What is the ruling on piercing the skin around the navel (belly-button) and inserting a metal ring?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We put this question to Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Jibreen (may Allaah preserve him), who answered as follows:

This is self-inflicted torture. This is not a place where adornments are usually worn, and there is no benefit in this practice. It comes under the heading of changing the creation of Allaah. And Allaah knows best.

Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Jibreen

Question
Is it Haram for a female to have tongue piercing?

Fatwa

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions. No doubt that piercing ones tongue without a legal necessity, like getting treated or the like, is prohibited for both the one who performs it and the one who undergoes it. This is so because it is an aggression on a life by making it suffer without a legal reason. It is also a mutilation of the human being by harming him unnecessarily and this may lead to death. Finally, it is a change in the Creation of Allah as some people do this to make their tongues look like the tongues of snakes. All this is forbidden by Allah. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {… And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allâh is Most Merciful to you.}[4: 29]. He also Says: {… and do not throw yourselves into destruction (by not spending your wealth in the Cause of Allâh), …} [2: 195]. Allah also Says (interpretation of meaning) reporting from Satan: {… and indeed I will order them to change the nature created by Allâh …}[4: 119]. The rule here is based on the fact that Islam forbids harming the body without a certain benefit. Allah has made lawful for us anything that is good and beneficial for us and has prohibited for us all that could harm us. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {… Allâh intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you. …}[2: 185].

Allah knows best.

Islamweb

Regarding piercing the belly or nose, it seems there are other opinions amongst the scholars:

Question: I am from the UK, and I would like to know if a Muslim woman is allowed to get her navel pierced for adornment purposes?

Answered by Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî, former professor at al-Imâm University in Riyadh

There is nothing in Islam specifically prohibiting this practice. Therefore, it would be permissible for a Muslim woman to have her navel pierced as long as it is considered an accepetable form of adornment by people in the region of the world in which she lives. However, this permission is conditional on there being no ensuing harm on the body.

Basically, body piercing takes the same ruling as piercing the nose or ear takes in the Muslim countries where the practice of piercing the ear or nose is quite common.

And Allah knows best.

Islamtoday

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
i have another question, what about braces, are they changing the creation of God, i know somepeople who had them because their teath were not stright, and because of that , they had difficulties eating, and also breathing. so my question is is't allowed?

Cosmetic surgery is permissible to correct deformities or to return a person’s appearance back to normal after an accident. It is lawful for a person to make amendments to appearance when some natural defect exists or some disfiguring accident has occurred.

It is not allowed merely to change a person’s normal appearance or to make that person appear more attractive according to some notion of beauty. In the Qur’ân, Allah says that Satan will lead people astray and that one of the ways he will do this is to get them to alter Allah’s creation.

Allah says:

“Allah cursed him and he (Satan) said: ‘I will take from your servant a portion determined. I will mislead them and create within them false desires. I will order them to slit the ears of cattle and to change Allah’s creation.’ Whoever takes Satan as a friend instead of Allah has surely suffered a great loss.” [Sûrah al-Nisâ’: 118-119]

Islamtoday

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

i have even discouraged myself from going on hajj or umrah because i didn't want people to see them while i wear ihram. i wonder if it would be permissible to put concealer over them while wearing ihram.

:wasalam: Brother,

May I ask Brother about the site of the tattoos?

You may PM me if you wish.

May Allah subhanahu wa taala accept your repentance and reward you.

Nazihah

Be A Stranger
Salaam,

May Allah s.w.t reward our brothers and sisters who have answered your question.

BTW I don't like where it says quiet memeber :(

As for this, you can change it. All you have to do is go to 'User CP', then under 'Edit Profile'. From there just scroll down and you'll find 'Optional information', then you'll find 'Custom User Title'. So, all you have to do is fill in the field. And there you have it. But if you can't change it that means you have to have more posts to edit that part.:hijabi:

You can try that out!

Tale care!

AnAngelofWood

Thankful for my deen
I have a question about a different type of body modification. I had weight loss surgery about three years ago. This would be a major modification to the natural body. I felt it necessary though. I was unable to get my weight down below 240. This was even with riding a bicycle nearly 30 miles every other day, and walking 10 to 15 miles the days in between for a period of over four months. My blood pressure was high. I was a diabetic with constant readings of over 230 and was beginning to have issues with my heart becoming weak. My doctor felt that I was a very high risk for heart attack. With all of this being the case and none of my diet and exercise changes making a real difference I felt I had little choice at the time. Now, I'm not sure.

How would this be seen in Islam? Are there any Muslims who have had similar procedure? I guess, I wonder if I would be permitted to take shahada in my circumstance.