why do you believe???

summertime

sister :)
:salam2:

Hello brothers and sisters... i just wanted to talk about an experience i just had... i was just talking to some poeple that i know..people who were born into islam...i asked them why they believe in God...and why the think islam is the true religion...i was just curious..i wanted to know what people base there iman on.....i was dissappointed to here the answer ""well i dont know"..." i've never thought about that".......i know that most people who revert to islam or those who are born muslims but start practising later on in life probably have a good answer to such questions...but some people who are born into islam take there faith for granted..not knowing why they really believe....i just think that is a pity....

Well any way to get to the point do you guys think that if we put such questions to ppl..(i.e why do u believe in Allah? and why do u think islam is the truth) it would make them think...??? Would it make them want to go out and learn more about the deen they say they belong to????

Just some randon passing thoughts!!

What about u guys?? Why do u believe that islam is the true religion??? what do u base ur iman on???

:wasalam:

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

This is the sad reality of the Ummah. They don't know why they believe in Allaah (such a doubt only shows lack of belief!), nor do they know why they were created. They will be unfamiliar with the ayah of the Qur'aan, "And I did not create Jinn or Mankind except that they worship me". The scholars say that believing in Allaah necessitates belief in His Existance, His Lordship, His Names and attributes as well as His right to be worshipped. Yet people under the banner of Islaam don't even know this?

As for our Eemaan, then as is reported in the Hadeeth of Jibreel, we believe in Allaah, His Angels, His Books, His Messengers, the Last Day and we believe in the Qadar (pre-decree of Allaah), the good of it and the bad of it.

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression

Hello brothers and sisters... i just wanted to talk about an experience i just had... i was just talking to some poeple that i know..people who were born into islam...i asked them why they believe in God...and why the think islam is the true religion...i was just curious..i wanted to know what people base there iman on.....i was dissappointed to here the answer ""well i dont know"..." i've never thought about that".......i know that most people who revert to islam or those who are born muslims but start practising later on in life probably have a good answer to such questions...but some people who are born into islam take there faith for granted..not knowing why they really believe....i just think that is a pity....

Well any way to get to the point do you guys think that if we put such questions to ppl..(i.e why do u believe in Allah? and why do u think islam is the truth) it would make them think...??? Would it make them want to go out and learn more about the deen they say they belong to????

Just some randon passing thoughts!!

What about u guys?? Why do u believe that islam is the true religion??? what do u base ur iman on???

:wasalam:

No offense to anyone, but thats one of the reasons why I became agnostic. I have a lot of questions which I need the answers to. I was raised Muslim, but thats only because the belief was taught to me. It wasn't something I came to believe in myself and I started to take God for granted. I'm currently doing a lot of thinking, and discussions with people to come to a conclusion about the truth. If I do find the Islam is the truth, I won't hesitate to come back. If necessary I'll perform the shahada. But for now, who knows.

summertime

I think thats the problem with most of us who are born into the religion....there comes a time in our life where we have to make a concious decision regarding whether or not be we believe in Islam or not..thats why i think most born muslims come under the banner of reverts aswell.....we all need to go out there and studying islam our self..ask questions, contemplate and not just believ everything our elders teach us.....sadly most of us are not taught about islam properly when wer are young which makes it necessary for us to go out there and look for the truth ourselves.....it's a pity that most of us don't bother to do that though....we just accept what we are told without knowing why we believe.......

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
No offense to anyone, but thats one of the reasons why I became agnostic. I have a lot of questions which I need the answers to. I was raised Muslim, but thats only because the belief was taught to me. It wasn't something I came to believe in myself and I started to take God for granted. I'm currently doing a lot of thinking, and discussions with people to come to a conclusion about the truth. If I do find the Islam is the truth, I won't hesitate to come back. If necessary I'll perform the shahada. But for now, who knows.

Well then my advice for you is to study the tawheed of Allaah, meaning His Oneness. Many of us lacked an upbringing about the most basic element of Islaam, the understanding of the first part of the shahaadah, the tawheed of Allaah.

Also, reflect upon and read the translation of the meanings of the Qur'aan with its correct understanding. If you don't understand a verse, don't try to understand it yourself without first looking to what the scholars of Tafseer (exegis) have said about it (especially those verses on sensitive issues which most non-Muslims deliberately pick at to spread mischief) www.tafsir.com is a good site for that (save spending $100+ on the hardcopies). And reflect over the Qur'aan, how no other book could even withstand the test of time, for Indeed as Allaah said, He has guarded it. So it is well known that the Qur'aan hasn't been altered by a single letter since it's revelation some 14 centuries ago...

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
Hello,

Well that is good question. Believe or not, I had ask myself why i am a Islam and for my personal, the answer is always comes from Islam compares with all the differenct kinds of religion and the miracles of everyday life. For me believing in ONE God OR Allah SWT is the easy thing. IF there is not God than who created everything and why takes away everything? Why people die or give brith? But believeing in Islam as the true religion one has to examine all different religions. Every time i do that i have erros and unexplain things so that is why i believe in Islam because the Quran :ma:has the answer to all my questions. Being a Islam, i know i have the true and the one religion because i can't think Allah OR God have a child of his own which is why i find Chirstain to be very unusal religion. Than there is the Jews religion, i find to be wierd. I believe i have the true religion because Islam is God made religion unlike all the religions of the world. Do you know every religion is named after a person?

Back to your questions, I honest believe its every Muslim job to know why they are Muslim. I believe if we put those questions in every Muslim mind they will want to find out about Islam. For me when i heard all the things people say about Islam that is when i chose to join sites like this to learn about my own deen and to be honest those question were/is the thing that makes me seek more knowledge about my deen.

Good Thread. I would love to see the response on this!

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
as-salaamu `alaykum TheKnowledgeSeeker,

You honestly believe that it is every Muslims job to know why they are Muslim. Well this is true without a shadow of doubt. How then will such people answer for themselves in their graves (i.e. without such basic and fundamental knowledge)?

summertime

hmmm..thats why i said..maybe it would be a good idea to go around asking ppl we know..asking them about there faith and iman..maybe it will help even if on a very small scale

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression
Well then my advice for you is to study the tawheed of Allaah, meaning His Oneness. Many of us lacked an upbringing about the most basic element of Islaam, the understanding of the first part of the shahaadah, the tawheed of Allaah.

Also, reflect upon and read the translation of the meanings of the Qur'aan with its correct understanding. If you don't understand a verse, don't try to understand it yourself without first looking to what the scholars of Tafseer (exegis) have said about it (especially those verses on sensitive issues which most non-Muslims deliberately pick at to spread mischief) www.tafsir.com is a good site for that (save spending $100+ on the hardcopies). And reflect over the Qur'aan, how no other book could even withstand the test of time, for Indeed as Allaah said, He has guarded it. So it is well known that the Qur'aan hasn't been altered by a single letter since it's revelation some 14 centuries ago...

Thank You for the link, I'll def. take a look into it. However, the questions I have doesn't exactly deal with the verses of the Quran, it's more about the history of religion as a whole. I don't have a problem with Islam, or any religion for that matter. I just have questions about the actual concept of religion as a whole.

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Assalamu alaikum!

Faith means believing something that one can't feel with five senses.

However, it can be felt with another power humans are blessed with.
It is the power of mind.
If it is used in a reasonable and balanced way, there is no doubt we will reach the uinversal truth that everything has a creator and that creator is ONE without any infirmities and above all that we interact with.

The alternative would be to find other ways of explaining how everthing came to being.
One comes to the conclusion that those explainations are far remote from the truth, create more questions than answers and more confusing the more we look deeper into alternatives other than God alone.

Agnostics end up believing in more Gods and creators and their thoughts give way to more miracles (in terms of natural occurences) which are far from science and logical argumentations.

Belief in a creator and his oneness is light and without it is mere confusions that lead to darkness of mind and soul.

I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship, but Allah and that Muhammad is his messenger.

Wassalam

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

With respect to your definition that you have supplied of faith, the real term in question is the `Arabic eemaan or إيمان. The people of knowledge have said, that it means tasdeeq or تصديق, to attest the truth of something (i.e. to believe in it). This more meaningful and suitable definition which is important to one's Islaam makes no mention of the belief or something at the absence of the 5 senses (although believing in the articles of faith requires this to an extent. I'm not saying it is incorrect, all I am saying is that we should use the known and common definitions as reported in the well-known dictionaries, explanations etc.

BaarakAllaahu feekum

Islam!!yay

Well I was born and raised a muslim and Im glad that I am . When I was little or younger ....I wasnt really that into islam and not knowing Why we are here . But somehow allah guided me and I feel Im a better muslim now . So I started learning more about islam and compare it with other religions and I find that islam makes more sense to me and I like it .

Im a muslim because I believe that there is no god but god and Muhammad was his messenger

aishajor

I believe in God because of the wonderful things he has put here for us...

animals
tree
water
sun
moon
stars
flowers

Everything we look at has been put here by Allah MASHALLAH

HOW CAN YOU NOT BELIEVE

Akilah

Islam resonates with me a very strong sense of truth and logic that I cannot and have not found in other faiths. Everything that Islam teaches makes sense to me, and in my heart it feels correct. In order to have realized all of this of course, one needs to believe in God. Islam for me is not exactly a religion to me per se because I associate it as a complete lifestyle package. Just believing in the faith is not all that is required of a Muslim of course, but it is the fundamental aspect of it. For instance, the three questions that we will be asked in the grave all have to do with belief and the only one aspect of action that is associated with any of the questions is that regarding worship (i.e. who did we worship). I consider myself extremely lucky to have one parent who converted to Islam and my father was raised as a Muslim, because it has really enabled me to really truly appreciate the huge favour God has bestowed on me with me being raised as a Muslim and having to not go around searching. I still did my investigating of course, and ultimately the answer always leads back to Islam. For me Islam is perfection, and any flaws are with me or the rest of humankind, but never the 'lifestyle of Islam' or the 'religion'.

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
Salaam Al-Kashmiri

I honest believe that every Muslim should learn more about Islam and not be a Muslim because your parents are Muslim. If your parents only perform the salat and ramadan, than how are you going to know the other three pillars of Islam since your parents focus on on the two. One of the problems we as Muslims (every younger generation) faces is why take Islam for grant (like summertime said). We made ourselves believe that Islam is ours because it was our parents and theirs. is it?

Back to your question not all Muslim know that special the younger gerenations. You can learn about Islam and at the same time not know why you are a Muslim or any religion for that matter. But at the end, Allah SWT knows what is in our hearts.

If you think Education may be expensive than think twice about ignorance cos ignorance is twice expensiver.

bintul islam

biz musulmanikh
Asalamu alaikum wb,

What an excellent thread! I don't know where to start...

Let me just paste this link first, you will be glad you watched it:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=B1m7-8AtrWo

[yt]B1m7-8AtrWo[/yt]

Why do I believe Islam is the truth? Simply because it makes sense, there are no grey areas. It is based upon logic, Allah sw encourages us to ask those who know, to search for the answers, Allah sw challenges us to find faults with the Quran.

Why do I believe Islam is better than other religions? Because it's crazy to think god has a kid, or some holy ghost who helps him and shares in his devinity...it doesnt make sense! It's crazy to believe god is some punishing being who also had some kid along the way...it's crazy to believe god is some elephant or some cow or some rat or some fat man who's stomach carries good luck...it's crazy to believe god is some indian guru...it's crazy to believe god is some heavenly body who will one day die...THESE ARE ALL CRAZY THINGS WHICH OTHER RELIGIONS TEACH!

Islam is clean, its pure, its logical, its complete, it's based upon proof, to keep it brief, Islam is perfect and that is why I am a muslim!

When I was a teenager, I actually did go around searching for the truth, its was so vital for me to have answers when I was questioned about my belief, I like to have the last say and saying 'umm i dont know, i'll get back to you, or coz that's what I was taught as a kid'...no no no, these were cheap answers. So alhamdula I searched...I used to print literally thousands of pages on religions particularly Islam, I asked and got answers and today I am happy and proud to say I have found the truth, Islam, and my belief will never be shaken.

do u know if i can download that tafsir of the Quran?....im 1 of those weaklings in Islam so i really need to start reading it :)

warda A

Sister
i thought

asalam aleikum

I thought i was the only one asking questions, being born into this beautiful religion but, not taught enough, (do not get me wrong ,inYemen they have classes in lower schools and upper in all aspects of religion) but i wasnt brought up here, so am learning everything though i was taught the basics you know,and like most people we take religion for granted.
I know and i profess that islam is the last religion, it was written somewhere in the Quran (i do not know which verse- see am learning) that Allah taala says "today i have perfected your religion", someone correct me if am wrong.
That removes all former religions Islam makes sense, it has logic, and inshalla i will keep learning daily.
May Allah keep us all steadfast in this religion , Ameen