Hijabs -- A matter of opinion?

ja_tu_miluju

:salam2: I was just curious as to what the opinions of my brothers and sisters are when it comes to Muslim women wearing Hijabs. Do you think that we should or do you think that it should be left up to us, and we choose whether or not we wear it?

Also, what is the opinion of women who are non-Muslim wearing Hijabs?

Ty, salam

bintul islam

biz musulmanikh
Opinion in wearing the hijab?
I searched but could not find the exact verse, however, I am certain there is a verse in the Quran that says "It is not befitting for a believer to have an option in a matter which Allah and His Messenger ordain..."
The hijab is not sunnah, rather it is an obligation, therefore, there is no option in chosing whether or not to wear it.

However it is a lesser obligation when compared to salat and fasting etc. If you are not praying at least five times a day, then I recommend you work on that before thinking about the hijab, inshala once your prayers are in place, you fast, and give charity, then start worrying about the hijab.

I believe wearing the hijab was one of the smartest choices I ever made! I see you are from Australia, alhamdula wearing the hijab is widely accepted here so that also helps. Also, I would like to congratulate you on wanting to know more about the hijab, that is always a good start. I conclude with the following verse from the Quran:

33:59 O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft- Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Wasalamu alaikum wb

ja_tu_miluju

Ah yes, ty for this information... I suppose I should work on my prayers much more before I continue. I am currently in America actually, my husband and I live in Australia, but I am back home for the time being. I know not of any mosques nearby, and I don't know how to pray, I know we have to recite portions of the Qur'an, among other things, but does it all need to be said in Arabic? That is where I am having the most trouble...I have troubles pronouncing things, do you know of any ways I can get better at this? I want so much to be able to pray as I should.

najbc

Ah yes, ty for this information... I suppose I should work on my prayers much more before I continue. I am currently in America actually, my husband and I live in Australia, but I am back home for the time being. I know not of any mosques nearby, and I don't know how to pray, I know we have to recite portions of the Qur'an, among other things, but does it all need to be said in Arabic? That is where I am having the most trouble...I have troubles pronouncing things, do you know of any ways I can get better at this? I want so much to be able to pray as I should.

what part of america do you live? allah will expect as long as you try your best. no one is perfect at pronoucing. do your best and inshallah you will get it. Mashallah for your afford.:)

bintul islam

biz musulmanikh
Salam sis,

Reciting the Quran has to be in arabic but I wouldn't worry too much about sounding it right, take it easy, first learn the actual short surahs in arabic, then practise on tajweed (making it sound right). So many people are able to learn new languages for worldly reasons, the least we can do is learn arabic for eternity. I myself am not an arab although I wish I was, so I basically had to learn arabic to read the Quran, enough to be able to read, and understand the Quran. I cannot read the newspaper coz it's different to the style in which the Quran is written...so I recommend you learn enough arabic to be able to at least recite the Quran. That's one.

Second, you don't know how to pray is not a problem at all, seems like you are new to Islam...start off by searching authentic sources on how to pray, I recommend www.thedeenshow.com, www.youtubeislam.com, and www.islamicity.com.

Take it easy, don't overwhelme yourself and most importantly, keep learning and growing in your road to Paradise.

And Allah sw knows better,

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Opinion in wearing the hijab?
I searched but could not find the exact verse, however, I am certain there is a verse in the Quran that says "It is not befitting for a believer to have an option in a matter which Allah and His Messenger ordain..."
The hijab is not sunnah, rather it is an obligation, therefore, there is no option in chosing whether or not to wear it.

However it is a lesser obligation when compared to salat and fasting etc. If you are not praying at least five times a day, then I recommend you work on that before thinking about the hijab, inshala once your prayers are in place, you fast, and give charity, then start worrying about the hijab.

I believe wearing the hijab was one of the smartest choices I ever made! I see you are from Australia, alhamdula wearing the hijab is widely accepted here so that also helps. Also, I would like to congratulate you on wanting to know more about the hijab, that is always a good start. I conclude with the following verse from the Quran:

33:59 O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft- Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Wasalamu alaikum wb

May Allaah reward you as this is how we judge things, Allaah says,

"But no by your Lord! They can have no faith until they make you (O Muhammad) judge in all disputes between them and find in themselves, no resistance in accepting your decisions, and accept them with full submission."
[Soorah An-Nisaa' 4:65]

And He also says,

"Follow that which has been sent down to you, from your Lord, and do not follow besides him (meaning the Messenger of Allaah, see Tafseer Ibn Katheer) any awliyaa'. Little do you remember."
[Soorah Al-A`raaf 7:3]

And He says (the verse you were referring to),

"It is not for a believer, male or female that when Allaah and His Messenger have decreed a matter, that they have any option in their decision. And whoever opposes Allaah and his Messenger, has indeed strayed in plain error."
[Soorah Al-Ahzaab 33:36]

kayleigh

:salam2:

Obligatory, but obviously it's up to a woman whether or not she wears it since there's no right way to go about forcing her to put it on. I don't care if women don't wear it (I don't) because it's not my business and I don't know their situation. I just see a problem with the women who try to say it's not obligatory to excuse their own actions. I acknowledge that it's obligatory. I just don't wear it. But my choice to not wear it doesn't mean I think it's OK not to. and, I don't think anyone expects a revert/convert to start wearing it right away.

as for non-Muslims wearing it, covering the hair is found in many religions and cultures outside of Islam.

Don't worry about doing things wrong either. People will understand and kindly correct you :)

cup of islam

Being a new convert myself i know how overwelming the Fathia Etc. can look a lil confusing its like a song when you play it over and over again its gets stuck in your head thats one method of doing it or recitting it with the Imam on the computer. Allah loves those who try there best even if your not pronoucing it the correct way better than someone who pronouces it perfectly (i hope i worded that right)
Inshallah ask for guidence from allah.

Targamh

i want to cong you sis for your desire to do things :ma:
almost all aspects of life are covered by the holly Quran and Sunna ..
so you will have an answer to everything with the help of other Muslims..

Allah bless you :tti_sister:

AnAngelofWood

Thankful for my deen
:salam2:

as for non-Muslims wearing it, covering the hair is found in many religions and cultures outside of Islam.

Don't worry about doing things wrong either. People will understand and kindly correct you :)

Masha'allah!! Thank you so much. I never thought of it. I have been trying to figure out how I can cover my hair with something other than hijab in my work place. They will not allow me to wear hijab because of machinery I work with. It may be pulled into the machines causing injury to me or distroying a milllion dollar machine, but I wonder if it would be acceptable for me to wear one of the hats such as what the Amish wear. I have an Amish community not too far from here that I could get one if it is acceptable.

Amir_of_spain

Asalam wailkium. Heres some more background info about the hijab...
Umar (RA) said to the prophet on one occasion, Ya rasuallah.. all these people (vistors to his house ie non muslims, musriks and so on visiting the prophet) are coming to your house, i wish you would command your wives to cover up to safeguard against such visitors. AFter this episode an ayat came down saying Oh prophet, command your wives and the believing women to cover themselves so that they are 1) recognised as believing women (ie distinguishing themselves from the clothing/appearence of the unbelieving women) and 2) that do not become harassed by transgressors/criminal minded men ie perverts.

So this shows how and why the verses came down, so its not just to do with modest clothing, its to do with distinguishing a righteouss women from a unbelieving women -which is a direct command from allah, and 2ndly to protect them from the lustful gazes of men who have bad intentions. I hope this helps. Elah e qah.

I found that learning the scenarios behind ayats help to gain a better understanding, because alot of surah especially the medina verses were sent down according to questions posed by people to sort out social, finanical, cultural aspects of life. Additionally certain hadiths supplement ayats, eg hadiths ffrom the prophet and sahaba, tabeen.

ja_tu_miluju

Asalam wailkium. Heres some more background info about the hijab...
Umar (RA) said to the prophet on one occasion, Ya rasuallah.. all these people (vistors to his house ie non muslims, musriks and so on visiting the prophet) are coming to your house, i wish you would command your wives to cover up to safeguard against such visitors. AFter this episode an ayat came down saying Oh prophet, command your wives and the believing women to cover themselves so that they are 1) recognised as believing women (ie distinguishing themselves from the clothing/appearence of the unbelieving women) and 2) that do not become harassed by transgressors/criminal minded men ie perverts.

So this shows how and why the verses came down, so its not just to do with modest clothing, its to do with distinguishing a righteouss women from a unbelieving women -which is a direct command from allah, and 2ndly to protect them from the lustful gazes of men who have bad intentions. I hope this helps. Elah e qah.

I found that learning the scenarios behind ayats help to gain a better understanding, because alot of surah especially the medina verses were sent down according to questions posed by people to sort out social, finanical, cultural aspects of life. Additionally certain hadiths supplement ayats, eg hadiths ffrom the prophet and sahaba, tabeen.

This does help, thank you, Allah bless you

Amir_of_spain

Additionally.... Mary the mother of christ is a role model for both women and men, and her rank/status in this life and the hereafter is already establish ie basically shes ranks at the top of entire womenhood in terms of status. And if you examine christain paintings, drawings, statues, idols of her, u will find that her head is covered and so is her body covered. This means christain women should also be observing hijab as Mary is one of our models (to both christain/muslim women), when muslim women observe hijab its also reinforcing the role model/charactor of Mary in our faith. Finally there was a minor debate in christain cirlces whether Mary was a brunette or blond, they cant be certain because she observed hijab.
Also amongst the best women in christainity are the nuns, and you will see them covering up hijabstyle. So if u want, for dawah purposes, u can say that i am wearing hijab because one of my role models wore it ie mary, and its important for us to follow our pious role models which god has ranked amongst being the best of entire history.