help!

faith_

Salaam aleikum ---

I'm a revert (I just reverted very recently) and I'm having some difficulty adjusting. I feel really guilty when I miss a prayer, but I sometimes don't like to pray because I feel really ridiculous pronouncing the Arabic - I'm rotten at it! Also, I don't know how to properly pray - I have a rough idea, but I just get confused.

Also, a lot of my non-Muslim friends have been confused as to why I've chosen Islam. One of them told me I sounded like a zealot; another one said she's afraid for me and doesn't understand why I'd choose Islam. I don't know how to approach this sensitive topic with them, because it's hurtful that they don't understand. However, I can't simply quit talking to them - they have been my best friends for years and we've gone through so much together.

I'm also struggling with just feeling depressed about some other issues in my life. I try to talk to Allah about my fears and my depression, and that helps, but does anyone have any advice about how to get through a rough patch of depression?

Thank you all for reading this! I hope to get some advice that will help me, insha'allah.

:shymuslima1:

ja_tu_miluju

Salaam aleikum ---

I'm a revert (I just reverted very recently) and I'm having some difficulty adjusting. I feel really guilty when I miss a prayer, but I sometimes don't like to pray because I feel really ridiculous pronouncing the Arabic - I'm rotten at it! Also, I don't know how to properly pray - I have a rough idea, but I just get confused.

Also, a lot of my non-Muslim friends have been confused as to why I've chosen Islam. One of them told me I sounded like a zealot; another one said she's afraid for me and doesn't understand why I'd choose Islam. I don't know how to approach this sensitive topic with them, because it's hurtful that they don't understand. However, I can't simply quit talking to them - they have been my best friends for years and we've gone through so much together.

I'm also struggling with just feeling depressed about some other issues in my life. I try to talk to Allah about my fears and my depression, and that helps, but does anyone have any advice about how to get through a rough patch of depression?

Thank you all for reading this! I hope to get some advice that will help me, insha'allah.

:shymuslima1:

First of all, congratulations and welcome to Islam :) I recently reverted as well and am also having difficulty with prayer, I suggest finding a mosque near you, there will be people there who can help you. This will also help with your negative feelings about pronunciation. Nobody is perfect, but if you're really self conscious about it then ask for help. There will be others in the mosque to help you with your pronunciation, and it really helps to be around the others and all of you pray together, then you won't feel so strange doing it.

None of my friends understand why I chose Islam either, and do your best to explain to them, but if they continue to question it, offer to take them to the mosque with you, visitors are most welcome! If they're not up for that, try to find some articles about Islam to show them, show them all the wonderful things about our religion. If they still fail to see, never give up on them, but never try to just convince them. They'll see its your choice and they won't try to talk you out of it if they truly care.

I have struggled with depression for many years, I completely understand, and I know its hard, especially when someone says "just look at the positive, you'll get through it". If talking to Allah through prayer isn't quite enough to help you, talk to other people around you. Are your friends willing to listen? If not, many of us here are most willing to help! We are all here for you.

InshaAllah you will get through all of your trials, I hope this has helped you a bit.

Steve940

Wa alaikum salam,

When I reverted and needed to learn my prayers, I used this very website to help me with the Arabic pronunciations

Here is an article that has all the information you will need to help learn your prayers better

http://www.turntoislam.com/index.php?page=pray

When you feel depressed, sometimes a good thing to do is listen to the Quran and try to understand what Allah is saying. Here is a good website to listen to the Quran and read the english translation simultaneously

http://www.quranexplorer.com/Quran/Default.aspx

Also, if you have questions regarding certain verses, or want to look at the explanations of verses, then you need to look at the tafsir

http://tafsir.com/

Hope this helps

Asalamu alaikum

salahdin

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Asalama aleikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu .

All praise is for ALLAH. WE PRAISE HIM , AID SEEK HIS HELP AND FORGIVENESS. WHOMEVER ALLAH GIUDES, CANNOT BE LEAD ASTRAY AND WHOMEVER ALLAH MISGUIDES NONE CAN GUIDE HIM

Aa'ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), the Prophet's beloved wife who held his head in her lap as he took his last blessed breaths, relates that the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) said:

"Verily the one who recites the Qur'aan beautifully, smoothly, and precisely, he will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses, then he will have TWICE that reward."

luv4theummah

Sister asalama halikum,

hope ur well and healthy,

What I would suggest you too do is seek Muslim sisters who you can talk too.
By being in the company of fellow Muslim, you will learn more about your deen, at the time your imaan is low, they will pick up your imaan for you. And I am sure you will talk to them about things you can’t talk about with your friends.

I think at the moment, you are new in Islam. And you are learning, still keep your friends. But try too come closer too the your fellow Muslims, because at time like these. You need muslims who are practising Islam.

When I had a difficult day or my imaan is weak I go to the brothers. After talking to them, I go smiling back home.

I hope insallah everything works out for you

be strong :SMILY346: :SMILY346:

Angela Hillyer

Asalam alaikom dear sister.
Welcome to the site and most of all welcome to Islam. I am so happy to hear that another sister has found her way to Islam Alhumdulillah!!!!!!Congratulations!!!! Allah Akbur!!!
It is truly the best decision you will ever make and Inshallah Allah (swt) keeps you and all of us on a straight path to Jannah Inshallah.

First of all I just want to say that even if you don’t know how to pray properly yet, it doesn’t matter because Allah (swt) knows your intentions are good and inshallah you will be rewarded for them, so don’t beat yourself up about it. You are still learning and you have to take baby steps and it will all come to you eventually inshallah. You are only knew and it does take time
to adjust, I am also a revert and still don’t know how to pray properly either but Alhumdulillah I am learning but just taking it slow.

I understand that you want to keep your friends, and there is nothing wrong with that, and if you find it hard to talk to them about Islam then just don’t talk to them about Islam unless they ask, just talk about the normal stuff you would usually talk about, unless of course it is Haram, try to avoid those bad conversations with swearing and back stabbing and always try
to control your tongue from doing those things because it is a very bad sin and trust me it does get hard when you hang around non Muslim friends who do that stuff. But just make sure that you set a good example about islam in front of your friends so they can say nothing bad about it inshallah.

Depression comes and goes, and your iman (faith) is like a thermometer that goes up and down all the time. I just deal with it by reading the Quran and Islamic books and talking to very religious people who only talk about Islam and that always makes me feel better, because you know that when you talk to them you will just be reminded of Allah (swt) straight away
and they always get you thinking about a lot of things that matter and to keep doing good deeds because tomorrow could be your last day and you never know when your life will be taken from you so never take anything for granted.

Anyways sis I will leave it at that and if you need any support or just someone to talk too you are more than welcome to PM me anytime Inshallah. I will try my best to help you in any way that I can because I want for my sisters in Islam what I want for myself inshallah. And remember that even tho you might feel lonely and that no one is there for you, just remember that Allah (swt) is on you side. :) :) :)

May Allah bless you and keep islam in your heart always, ameen. Salam. Your sister Asiya.