Second Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

marildu

Salam

As for 'marry again to control desires', I find that downright pathetic. One who cannot control his desire after marrying one lady, will not have his desires met by another. He will surely fall upon another lady who is likable & subsequently desirable.

The whole point of being a muslim is to please Allah (SHW) & do what he has commanded & allowed us to do but go no further. If one cannot control his desires after being married, then he clearly does not understand Islam.

And Alhumdulillah we have Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) as an example.

WaALiekum Assalam

That's the way I feel about that as well. I'm glad you mentioned it. In Islam we are told to lower our gaze. And I believe there is a hadith where Aisha says that Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) was the best at controling his desires. And he is our example to follow. I think that reason would also be very offensive to the wife especially if she was doing her best to help her husband as well.

Edit: Yahya related to me from Malik that he had heard that 'A'isha, the wife of the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, would say, when she mentioned that the Messenger of Allah used to kiss while fasting, "And who among you is more able to control himself than the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace?"

Bukhari 1826

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe the Prophet (pbuh) married just because, he married widows and people that needed care and to strengthen ties between the ummah. I don't mean any offense by this. And I know it is halal but I think we shouldn't just say "it's the right of the man to have more than one wife." You'd gain more reward InshaAllah by marrying a woman that truely needed a husband and not a never wedded woman hardly out of her teens.

ibnAbdullah87

We can agree it would be better to marry a women who need a husband but it does not change the fact that you can not marry out of desire or to marry out of desire should be look down on because how will stay with someone whom you have no attraction to at all. And the sahabah had more then one wife do you mean to tell me they all married widows or women in need or are they pathetic for marrying out of desire even though they are the best of men. So this is pointless to argue this if one feels he can not do it he should not make it a general thing and if it is a good fear man doing so then you can trust him to deal justice between wives. And how is a man pathetic if he feels he need to marry another wife so that he does not fall into fornication should he not fear Allah and protect himself from falling into that. Is that not a good enough reasone if he is able to handle more then one wife. Also a young girl need to get married just as much as an older women both can end up doing something wrong plus remeber an older women most of the time has more wised and can better protect herself then a young one, espcailly in west and also some of the westernized muslim countries where temptation is everwhere. If I have said anything wrong may Allah forgive me.

Oem Soufiane

I certainly didn't mean it as such. I misunderstood. I thought your were much younger in Islam than that. Please accept my apologies.

subhanallah, ofcourse i do, i am sorry if i sounded mad, when i read back my reaction to you i saw that it sounded a little harsh, so here are my appologies to you, and now we stop apologising dear sister, love you for the sake of Allahu swt :hijabi:

Kayote

We can agree it would be better to marry a women who need a husband but it does not change the fact that you can not marry out of desire or to marry out of desire should be look down on because how will stay with someone whom you have no attraction to at all. And the sahabah had more then one wife do you mean to tell me they all married widows or women in need or are they pathetic for marrying out of desire even though they are the best of men. So this is pointless to argue this if one feels he can not do it he should not make it a general thing and if it is a good fear man doing so then you can trust him to deal justice between wives. And how is a man pathetic if he feels he need to marry another wife so that he does not fall into fornication should he not fear Allah and protect himself from falling into that. Is that not a good enough reasone if he is able to handle more then one wife. If I have said anything wronge may Allah forgive me.

:salam2:

The reason I say pathetic is because, first of all, I think you would agree that sahabah use to be shaheed in battles. What was to happen to their wives? That should answer most of the cases of sahabahs marrying more than one wives. It was not the wives who use to go to battle (some did but we can agree that most were ordered to stay back) & accept shahadith.

If you are so downright adamant, Im not stopping anyone from marrying as many times as they wish to (as many Saudi royal family members) but bear in mind, you have to do justice to both of them (if two). I recommend you watch a video of a dutch revert sister thats in the video section, she got a divorce from her husband becuase he told her that he was going to get a second wife few months after she got married to him! If that man was truly pious, he would have realised that FIRST YOU HAVE TO MAKE YOUR FIRST WIFE HAPPY!!! Then perhaps think about second wife & even then consult her & make her agree, NOT MAKE IT INTO A SITUATION WHERE BOTH ENDED UP GETTING A DIVORCE!

And thats why I say pathetic. If there are unprotected sisters, we must make an effort to protect them & provide for their & their children's safety as if they were our own & that is where a bond of marriage makes SENSE!!!

:wasalam:

Oem Soufiane

i am sorry, but are we talking to muslims here, who accept Allah swt and believe in the holy quran? read what's in it, does it say you have to have a specific reason, or does it say you can't marry a wife out of desire? NO, Allah swt knows best how men feel and behind everything Allah swt says is a wisdom, so let's stop arguing about this and listen to the quran!

By the way, what if our beloved prophet married one of his wifes out of desire, does this make him pathetic, ASTAGHFIRULAH, AHUDU BILLAH! how can you say such a thing, you don't know the reason why Rasullallah married his wifes, so watch out what you say.

marildu

i am sorry, but are we talking to muslims here, who accept Allah swt and believe in the holy quran? read what's in it, does it say you have to have a specific reason, or does it say you can't marry a wife out of desire? NO, Allah swt knows best how men feel and behind everything Allah swt says is a wisdom, so let's stop arguing about this and listen to the quran!

By the way, what if our beloved prophet married one of his wifes out of desire, does this make him pathetic, ASTAGHFIRULAH, AHUDU BILLAH! how can you say such a thing, you don't know the reason why Rasullallah married his wifes, so watch out what you say.

I wasn't saying that AstaghfurAllah. I was just mentioning that our best example is the Prophet (pbuh) and we should first rely on Allah and try to control our desires before resorting to a second marriage because InshaAllah that would make us better Muslims as a whole.

Kayote

Please provide reference. From Khatija to Ayesha & all other wives (may Allah be pleased with them) of the Prophet (pbuh), nowhere have I read that he married out of desire. Ayesha (may Allah be pleased with her) who was very beautiful, was shown to the Prophet (pbuh) in a dream! & the Prophet (pbuh) knew that he (pbuh) was destined to marry her.

yes, I agree, we should not argue. We should have the best of intentions (Insha'Allah which we have). I forward this as my last post in thread. May Allah forgive our mistakes & guide us.

:wasalam:

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
Salam

I really liked Dna1987 & MubarekMuslimah's answer.

Many arabs have made it a fashion to marry more than once & as has been pointed out, there are many considerations to take into account before one should take such action.

Brother, what arabs or egyptians, or anyone do does not prove that what they or anyone else does is Islam.

And that you can not carry that burden someone else can, to speak about ourself is a different thing but to say this is Islam or not is a different one.
The prophet (saws) married out of desire, as it also wasordained by Allah (swt), that says it all (Zaynab bint Jahsh(ra) brother Kayote). If we don't know his life then we should study it.
So again please be careful brothers & sisters by saying this is right and this is wrong, because most probably we will be the ones who are wrong.

ibnAbdullah87

We also have to keep in mind that also women get pregnet and also get peroids and then the man can not fufill his desire in one cause he is forbidden to do so and the other it would be hard on his wife especaily in the later months and the man goes out of the house and runs into all kinds of fitnah so it is nobale enough that he wants to save himself and yes it is from good character to tell his first wife and see how she feels because you do not want to take a second wife while your first wife is angry with you and then takes it out on the second wife but know their are many reasons why a man might want to take a second wife and who says that a man can not marry a women in her late 20's or 30's out of desire and attraction. Not only young girls in there teens or early 20's are attractive but the Prophet also said marry those that can have children and younger women have a better chance of producing a health child or even having a child and Allah knows best. And wanting more children is one of the best reasons for taking a second, third, or fourth wife. Sometimes women can have children put takes a few years just to get one and women just get pregnant easly. And it is enough that Allah gave man this right and did not tell us not to marry out of desire nor did that Prophet :saw2:. Also know that other Prophets married more then one wife, Ya’qub, upon him be peace, had two wives and Sulaiman, the son of Dawud, may the peace of Allaah be upon both of them, collected ninety-nine wives and he visited (i.e. has sexual intercourse with) all of them in one night, in the hope that Allaah would bless him with a son from every one of them, who would fight in Allaah’s cause. So if one want to have children then why should he not marry a young wife and then he can teach his children the Quran and Sunnah upon correct understanding and strengthen the muslim Ummah. Also women are more in number than men, as censuses continually prove, a man may possess so much physical strength that he needs more than one wife, in order that he may be able to indulge his desires in a permissible way, rather than in a prohibited way. Otherwise he will be forced to repress his desires, something may prevent him from fulfilling his needs, such as menstruation or postnatal bleeding, or anything else that prevents a man from fulfilling his desires with her. So he may need another wife with whom he may fulfill his desires, rather than repressing them or committing indecency. It is also from the fitrah of men to want more then one woman as you can see in sociaties were man can only marry one woman it lead to men cheating on their wife. If I have said anything wrong may Allah forgive me. What a said is not a specific reply to anyone I am just put this out there because I know some people are reply to what they would do or they feel about there situation.

marildu

I'm sorry but I don't see that as fitrah. If there is a hadith or ayat that says so may Allah forgive me, but there are single wife marriages that there is no adultery taking or ever taken place. My parents have been married almost 20 years and there has never been adultery involved. I realize that in many marriages it's otherwise. But I don't see it specifically as the natural state of man to want to follow and obey his creator Allah swt.

khan_saddozai

salam
this might not be relevant..but i was wondering whether the issue of having more than 1 wife is actually allowed. (guys plz correct me if im wrong..im not a scholar)
i've thought that the quran said u can marry more than 1 wife but u have to treat them equally..but the no man can ever fully treat more than 1 wife equally....so in a sense isn't that saying dont have more than 1 wife...??!!
so elpme out on his one..im not sure...
i personally dnt believe in marrying more than 1 wife..
salaam

mosabaig

Can be mistaken most likly..but...

:bismillah: :salam2:

Dear Brothers and Sisters

Is it possible at all to have a second wife in this age, I have this notion as I am working abroad to support my family finiancially looks impossible and honestly no woman may consider it...besides how the children may take it...... although islamicaly may be bringing a part in to existance which is not common now a days....any suggestions

:jazaak:

Somtimes there is habits or common interests are not met and both donot want the divorce. May be man is sextually active while wife says no all the time or ignores his wishes for a long period of time.. then what to do...what if all the dicisions are made by the wife and husband is just the money provider ...

Communication between two is very important to improve both...but what if one of them does not have time or importance of talking ..just the ego and authoritativness while the other may be try hard to make the marriage work etc...

rguyah

I know several brothers with 2 wives. They do not have a problem, their wives live well in coexistance, and the children from the wives get along just fine. People want to keep making excuses against what Allah has allowed. Please stop for your own sake. May Allah forgive those whom try to disuade the Muslims from what is allowed to them.

ibnAbdullah87

No khan_saddozai men are allowed to marry more then one wife because Allah gives man that right and plus if it were not allowed then the messenger would have not done so neither would the sahabah and all those who follow them in good. When it comes to treating wives equal it is in terms of time and financial stuff but when it comes to your loveing one more then the other or the sexual attraction then that a man can not it is not possible just like the Prophet :saw: he loved Aisha (radiyllahu anha) more then the others but he treated them all the same in terms of care.

http://www.al-athariyyah.com/tazkiyah.html#

Status
Not open for further replies.