Aljazeera English channel

Submitter

:salam2:

Mashallah I didn't know they were launching an English channel. It'll be interesting to see from what perspective they tell the news. I have visited their English website in the past and have always found they are quite more neutral compared to other news channels.

Wasalam

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Its Rubbish!

To know what is happening in the world, you need a brain. Nobody should accept face value what aljazeera, al-arabiyya, BBC, Fox News or any other organisation brings to the table.

Aljazeera is good for the naive people, so i guess it will do well with all the dumb people.

They are concerned with making profits and also seeking acceptance by some governments. Therefore they make their content more mainstream and acceptable - They bring along bbc reporters and ex-gov cronies like David Frost etc. They have a whole line of dumb reporters from ITV and BBC. This is to water things down.

Their arabic tv station is just as bad, but they have very sensationalist and emotional people. They like being emotional and reacting over the top, thats why they their target market likes them.

Sometimes Aljazeera is as accurate as Fox News. But, that doesnt matter as long as people hear what they want to hear.

They might put some good documentaries on, but to think that their News bulletins will be groundbreaking and a breath of fresh air is pushing it!

nextman

Its Rubbish!

To know what is happening in the world, you need a brain. Nobody should accept face value what aljazeera, al-arabiyya, BBC, Fox News or any other organisation brings to the table.

Aljazeera is good for the naive people, so i guess it will do well with all the dumb people.

They are concerned with making profits and also seeking acceptance by some governments. Therefore they make their content more mainstream and acceptable - They bring along bbc reporters and ex-gov cronies like David Frost etc. They have a whole line of dumb reporters from ITV and BBC. This is to water things down.

Their arabic tv station is just as bad, but they have very sensationalist and emotional people. They like being emotional and reacting over the top, thats why they their target market likes them.

Sometimes Aljazeera is as accurate as Fox News. But, that doesnt matter as long as people hear what they want to hear.

They might put some good documentaries on, but to think that their News bulletins will be groundbreaking and a breath of fresh air is pushing it!

you got all of that from less than 24 hours or broadcasting? have a bit of patience and wait before you decide to review something you know nothing about.

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
You may turn out to be right Br.Mabsoot but i agree with nextman on this. You should give it some time before passing judgment.

mahadiwarrior

lets wait and see about Al Jazzera

I do believe time would tell, I am in the U.S and would more than likely try and get a dish, so I can get this channel, it is better than watching CNN....NBC.... FOX or any of this local channels, we are brainwashed in America and some of this channels don't even show both side of the story, they only show one, the one they think is right......it would be nice to get Al Jazzera and hopefully both side of the story in english......does anybody know what is the best dish I can buy to get this in U.S.A..........?

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom

Well what Mabsoot said might be right, but in one way it will show the non arabic or non-muslim audiance the point of Muslims and Arabs on different issues, Even bush wanted to bomb aljazeera just because they were showing too much at the time of attacking Iraq.

I would say there will be good thing out of this as much as it might have bad effect spiecially the audiance who just watch Fox and CNN news.

I usually follow the Daily Show of john steward who put the news in funny way at the same time make a point out it.

wa salaam

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
you got all of that from less than 24 hours or broadcasting? have a bit of patience and wait before you decide to review something you know nothing about.

Hi, i know quite a bit about it actually. Perhaps you should do your research about the people they promote on their channel, before commenting.

Anybody with an iota of sense would understand that someone like David Frost or ex-bbc and ITN reporters is not exactly cutting edge groundbreaking news.

Established media can then write off certain things as opinion and polemic whilst upholding the "traditional" news values as just news.

AlJazeera poses very little threat to the established news corporations because it runs along the same lines. I know it is hard for some of you to fathom.

You see, in order to look "sensible", Aljazeera English toned down everything and start from a different angle. They kicked Yvonne Ridley out after her expose of the US Soldiers tying civillians up, due to US pressure. They have borrowed loads of articles from reuters for their website. This is not cutting edge ground breaking reporting.

Anyway, i recommend you take some time to know about the use of language, symbols, style that the news takes. It is a rigid formula which ends with news taking a simple form. In pursuit of seeming balanced they do quite the opposite with regards to the reality of the situation at hand. For example, juxtaposing 1 Israeli death with that of 30 Palestinians, whilst giving same amount of air-time to each. This is one of the problems with BBC and others. Also the use of language.

All these modes of address signify the practise of news. Simply swapping words is not enough, i.e calling Hamas terrorists freedom fighters etc.

Anyway, dont get me wrong, i'd rather watch that then FoxNews, im just not satisfied with any of these news organisations.

dna1987

Muslim Guy
AlJazeera poses very little threat to the established news corporations because it runs along the same lines. I know it is hard for some of you to fathom.

QFT. Thanks for posting this Mabsoot, I'm not the first one on this thread to say that Al-Jazeera is no different to other mainstream news sources, etc. If anything, this will be a great chance for people who love Fox, CBS, etc to say "see, even the Arabs are saying the same thing". :wasalam:

IMAM

after reading mabsoot my feet are firmly back on the `ground`..it`s like finding out your wife had cold feet before the weeding,if anything thats more of a reason not to trust the news outlet(definately this doesnt refer to your wife).
some think it is a bin laden channel while others say it would be another `bbc` or `ccn` cant say how refreshing that is,but to xpect the world from aljazeera is unfair.....i still prefer hamas being called terrorist org though

talibulislam

its good news

but do we know recently warnner brother own the major shares of aljazeera,so where we aheading an where we gona b at the end.hopefully not new form of cnn or bbc,hopefully they don't switch at the end but so far its better then watching fox news alhamdilillah
may allah guide all of us to straight path insh'aLLAH

Abu Mohaned

Assalamo Alaykom,

To who make a negative decision in advance about Aljazeera.
Just to remind you.

( O you who believe! stand out firmly for Allah and be just witnesses and let not the enmity and hatred of others make you avoid justice. Be just:that is nearer to piety, and fear Allah )
Al-Maidah ( 5:8 ).

Assalamo Alaykom,

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2:
Media has its ups and downs. But to say stuff like "it's run by the Jews" is pretty dumb.

I know nothing about AlJazeera since knowing my government, I would be a "terrorist" for watching it. But everyone in my country (besides the Republicans) know that Fox News is horrible. All the other news sources are reliable, and I don't find it fair to say they're not.

NewbieToIslam

I thought Al-Jazeera was going to be banned in the US or is it England? Not sure which one. I didn't know they were broadcasting in English either. And i think the 'patience' advice is right...We hear of very very little that's happening in the rest of the world on the current news channels. On the other hand we shouldn't get too caught up in this world remember :)
Assalaam alaikumu

acedoc

AlJazeera Online

Here it is at VDC...it is NOT for free ..you can watch it online for US$8 permonth

http://www.vdc.com/

Choose Channel 205 AJE (alJazeera english) Point from Br. Mabsoot and otehrs well taken..don't take wooden nickels from no one.
Listen to everyone but use your common-sense. I have been watching this Al Jazeera for past few weeks..Must say little diffrence from
CNN or Fox or ABC etc.

Just don't expect a very Islamic perscpective from them...they are more western or at least "wanna bes"