I am a Christian, seriously looking at Islam..

carol_au

I am a Christian, seriously looking at Islam.. and may I say, it's the converstion stories at the moment that are most compelling.

I have long wondered how someone who is a Christian could give up their faith and follow the Prophet's example rather than Jesus' when nothing in my life shows me there is any issue with Jesus' words, or His example.. it has led me to God so far in my life and God willing this will never change.

I was directed here by one of your members, and I really have appreciated the one or two videos I have watched. I was immediately drawn to the story of Eric the Baptist almost Pastor who became a muslim, and whilst I appreciated the video.. I was most disappointed he only addressed the issue of the behaviour of christians and it not fitting in with his idea of what a follower of God should do. whilst this is compelling (and my reason for my interest in Islam), He never once talked about the faith he had prior to reversion.

I would love to hear from people who were strong Christians in faith as well as in practice who have reverted and find out why and how they did it.

Anyone who can show me a video or direct me to a member.. I would be most appreciative.

God bless and thanks .. not only to the member who directed me here, but to God for bringing me here at this time.

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello Carol,

Welcome to the TTI forum, it is good that you have shown interest on Islam, we will be glad to be of any help for you and insha'Allah (God willing) we will try to provide you with any information you are interested in.

As to your interest to know about anyone who was strong in the Christian faith I've seen this video and think it would be of interest for you:
And anything you are interested for more we will be here and try to assist you.

Thank you.

[vg]-1489047104871776788[/vg]

Karima

Carol,

Welcome here! Keep searching for God in all things. I did the same...My background is similar to yours...and coming to Islam is a journey for me...which never ends.

God made each of us, and all I can say is that I am thankful each day for my life on his earth...to enjoy His land, and the animals.....ducks, horses, deer, etc...which I am so fortunate to be able to feed....

God never has a 'deaf ear'...pray for the simplist things, for a start in your searching for Him more, as I did.

carol_au

Karima Salaam and many thanks for your welcome and your encourgement to pray at all times.. it's a timely and much appreciated reminder.

Thankyou also Ibn Adham for the video link. Godwilling I will watch it tomorrow .. it's very late here.

rguyah

I am a Christian, seriously looking at Islam.. and may I say, it's the converstion stories at the moment that are most compelling.

I have long wondered how someone who is a Christian could give up their faith and follow the Prophet's example rather than Jesus' when nothing in my life shows me there is any issue with Jesus' words, or His example.. it has led me to God so far in my life and God willing this will never change.

I was directed here by one of your members, and I really have appreciated the one or two videos I have watched. I was immediately drawn to the story of Eric the Baptist almost Pastor who became a muslim, and whilst I appreciated the video.. I was most disappointed he only addressed the issue of the behaviour of christians and it not fitting in with his idea of what a follower of God should do. whilst this is compelling (and my reason for my interest in Islam), He never once talked about the faith he had prior to reversion.

I would love to hear from people who were strong Christians in faith as well as in practice who have reverted and find out why and how they did it.

Anyone who can show me a video or direct me to a member.. I would be most appreciative.

God bless and thanks .. not only to the member who directed me here, but to God for bringing me here at this time.

Hello Carol,
I consider my time in Christianity as a time of devout worship. I attended Church Sunday morning, evening, and then Wednesday evenings. Sunday evenings and Wednesdays we did Bible study and competed statewide in Florida in Bible memorization and knowledge competitions... of which I was either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place in all of the competitions. 4th once... I only mention this stuff to show my involvement in the 'learning' part of the religion. Besides that, I am the 9th child of 9 kids in my family. I was the only whom attended Church besides my mother and she went to a different Church than me. I went because I was a strong believer and stood up for what I believe in Christanity.

In 1996 I went to college and met Muslims. A religion I knew nothing about except for what they taught us in High School - that Muslims were terrorist (referring to the Palistinians. I had many heated conversations/arguments with my Muslim dorm mates... many! But I also had a open mind and took in what they were saying - this how you get taught - open the mind and learn. I went to some Friday lectures at the Masjid, starting reading the Quran, and stopped arguing and instead started to only listen. It was these Muslims whom pointed out to me in the Bible that I studied so much that Pork was not allowed. I immediately stopped eating pork while I was a Christian being taught Christianity by Muslims! I recalled the Church used to teach us that pork was Ok because Jesus made 'everything' Ok to eat. I learned it was a fallacy - a lie - a misguidance. It was pointed out to me that Jesus himself said he did not come to change the laws. This is something I knew but failed to understand until these Muslim dorm mates pointed it out to me. It was small things like this over 2 years of studying Islam that guided me to it. Just read with an open heart and open mind.

zumurud

Dear Carol,
I don't know of any videos that specifically address the topic of the difference between Islam and Christianity, but there is a book called "The Choice: Islam and Christianity" by Ahmad Deedat, which is very thorough.
There is also another sheikh called Yusuf Estes who used to be a Christian Preacher. I found a link with his biography: http://www.famousmuslims.com/Yusuf Estes.htm
If you type his name into a Google video or audio search I am sure you will find plenty of interesting talks to listen to.

I hope you find the answer to your questions.

Submitter

Hi Carol

Welcome to the website! I'm glad you decided to join us to learn more about our beautiful way of life.

I was also going to post videos and info about Yusuf Estes but my brothers and sisters have beat me to it mashallah :biggrin:

You may find the following videos useful too:

Similarities Between Islam and Christianity Part 1 (including the main differences and why they make sense)

[vg]7214804039082274275[/vg]

Similarities Between Islam and Christianity Part 2

[vg]5848453706201092829[/vg]

Is Bible God's Word? Part 1

[vg]-1846663296400590683[/vg]

Is Bible God's Word? Part 2

[vg]-7336994649815000850[/vg]

The people on this forum are all very friendly so please do not hesitate in asking any questions you may have :)

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
hiiiiiiiiiii,sister,Really u r wellcome here..Alhamduillah..

Here :Introductory Articles About Islam ..

sister ..u know Alhamduillah..i'm Sure ur truthseeker..

Many Wellcome to u sister...

May Allah direct All us to the right path..Ameen

and May Allah reward All us paradise and All us meet there...

peace,

OmarTheFrench

I have long wondered how someone who is a Christian could give up their faith and follow the Prophet's example rather than Jesus'

We choose the path of God.:arabi1:

However welcome sister.

Submitter

I have long wondered how someone who is a Christian could give up their faith and follow the Prophet's example rather than Jesus'

Actually, they both conveyed the same message. Christians don't believe in Muhammad :saw:, but all Muslims believe that Jesus (pbuh) is a messenger of God (Allah) and is indeed one of the greatest messengers. All the messengers of Allah spread the message of the oneness of Allah.

As brother Omar says, we follow the law set out by Allah in the Qur'an and the best of Allah's creation to follow His law was Muhammad :saw: so we follow his example.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Christians don't believe in Muhammad :saw:

They do, it's just that they think that he was either:

A) A nut

B) A fake

C) A conspiracist (working with Christians and/or Jews to create a whole new religion because he didn't like his choices)

To the Original Poster: I suggest you look at Yusuf Estes (the former Christian Minister-turned-Muslim, you've seen some his video in this thread) and at his website; islamtomorrow.com

ambuscade

Hello Carol,
I consider my time in Christianity as a time of devout worship. I attended Church Sunday morning, evening, and then Wednesday evenings. Sunday evenings and Wednesdays we did Bible study and competed statewide in Florida in Bible memorization and knowledge competitions... of which I was either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place in all of the competitions. 4th once... I only mention this stuff to show my involvement in the 'learning' part of the religion. Besides that, I am the 9th child of 9 kids in my family. I was the only whom attended Church besides my mother and she went to a different Church than me. I went because I was a strong believer and stood up for what I believe in Christanity.

In 1996 I went to college and met Muslims. A religion I knew nothing about except for what they taught us in High School - that Muslims were terrorist (referring to the Palistinians. I had many heated conversations/arguments with my Muslim dorm mates... many! But I also had a open mind and took in what they were saying - this how you get taught - open the mind and learn. I went to some Friday lectures at the Masjid, starting reading the Quran, and stopped arguing and instead started to only listen. It was these Muslims whom pointed out to me in the Bible that I studied so much that Pork was not allowed. I immediately stopped eating pork while I was a Christian being taught Christianity by Muslims! I recalled the Church used to teach us that pork was Ok because Jesus made 'everything' Ok to eat. I learned it was a fallacy - a lie - a misguidance. It was pointed out to me that Jesus himself said he did not come to change the laws. This is something I knew but failed to understand until these Muslim dorm mates pointed it out to me. It was small things like this over 2 years of studying Islam that guided me to it. Just read with an open heart and open mind.

This is very curious indeed , if you are so knowledgable about Christian beliefs then how can you accept Islam as your religion?
I think thats what everyone wants to know who is not Muslim but grew up and understands Christianity or Christian theology.
You said that what Jesus said is a lie.
Do you have proof of this?
And if so where are the lies according to you? And how do you know they are lies?

These are important questions one must ask him or herself to make such a judgement.
Personally as a outsider of both Christianity and Islam I can clearly see the differences between the two faiths.
You can't both agree with the Bible and the Qu'ran.

ambuscade

The issue with pork according to the bible is not that it makes people bad, but eating wrong is what causes people to harm themselves.
This is what God teaches through the bible.
It's not what comes in but what comes out.

It's a very true teaching because there are so many wonderful people who eat pork on a daily basis.
Also bad people but generally they are good people.
Eating pork does not make them bad people.

Anyway i'm not Muslim so please bare with me here ;)

Terah

This is very curious indeed , if you are so knowledgable about Christian beliefs then how can you accept Islam as your religion?
I think thats what everyone wants to know who is not Muslim but grew up and understands Christianity or Christian theology.
And if so where are the lies according to you? And how do you know they are lies?

These are important questions one must ask him or herself to make such a judgement.
Personally as a outsider of both Christianity and Islam I can clearly see the differences between the two faiths.
You can't both agree with the Bible and the Qu'ran.
this person never said they were so knowledgable in theology, but rather a strong believer. what she or he wrote is their opinion. yet you come here as neither christian nor muslim and make what is, in my opinion, a harsh post against her.
why?

ambuscade

this person never said they were so knowledgable in theology, but rather a strong believer. what she or he wrote is their opinion. yet you come here as neither christian nor muslim and make what is, in my opinion, a harsh post against her.
why?

Well i think she is lying.
Or being untruthfull (?) at the least.
If she really knows Christianity she realises it doesn't fit with the Islamic beliefs.
There are so many differences that the two are not reconcilable with each other.
It's a matter of choosing to believe one or the other.
Or which you find more credible as the eternal word of God.

Terah

Seeker

I suggest you look at Yusuf Estes (the former Christian Minister-turned-Muslim, you've seen some his video in this thread) and at his website; islamtomorrow.com
i was very impressed by Yusuf Estes and the video that I watched. He is from the area I grew up in. I recognized all those areas he was speaking about. So that was kind of funny to me, kind of cool.

I have met several people who have become friends that are Muslim. And because I want to know more about them, I have begun reading and asking questions. I have believed since I was around 14 or 15 years old, that Allah, Buddah, and such were all different names for God. And that Muhammed and Jesus were prophets sent from God. I was raised Catholic but have always questioned everything. I went to both a Catholic and a Baptist church when I was in high school. Always seeking more information. I have read books on the Torah and tried to read on Buddhism.

And so here I am. Seeking more and more. I don't know if this is my path. But I thirst for knowledge. I hope I am not intruding.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Well i think she is lying.
Or being untruthfull (?) at the least.
If she really knows Christianity she realises it doesn't fit with the Islamic beliefs.
There are so many differences that the two are not reconcilable with each other.
It's a matter of choosing to believe one or the other.
Or which you find more credible as the eternal word of God.

Hello,

this is a friendly forum, we do not accept people throwing accusations at other members.

An educated response is to prove a point without accusing people of lying. Therefore, please do not accuse people of lying.

We are not here to debate according to hotch-potch theology or twisted orientalism.

Muslims believe that every Prophet came with the same Message. The message of Islam is to worship Allah alone without associating any partner to him. This was the message of Jesus, Abraham and all the Prophets sent to mankind. This is what Islam is. It is not a new religion.

Muslims are not new either, it simply means a person who submits themselves to Allah, a person who believes in the oneness of God and worships him without associating any partner to him.

Therefore, following this understanding, you must realise that Muslims believe the followers of all Prophets before Muhammad were also Muslim. People who submitted to God's will.

Each people at every time were sent a Prophet. A Prophet who cleared the way to call for the worship of Allah alone. And the last and final Messenger was Muhammad :saw:, he was sent to all Mankind.

What attracts people to Islam is the Quran and its truth. So, the correct analysis of your original statement is to spin it on its head and say, it is the knowledge of Christianity and the thinking about its beliefs that actually attracts people to Islam. To say that people become Muslim because they are ignorant of their beliefs, such as Christianity is an arrogant and ill-informed assumption to make.

Secondly, Muslims do not believe Jesus lied, he was a Prophet of Allah, a noble and great man who Muslims love. Infact, we give him the greatest respect and love by accepting and knowing him just as he wanted people to. i.e by remembering him as a great Prophet and not as a God or someone who can answer our prayers. This was his message.

As the original poster pointed out, it is the Church that has constantly lied about Jesus and about "Christianity". For example, when the Christian Bishops made a meeting after being instructed by Constantine I in Nicae in 325AD. There they concocted the Trinity and their beliefs about God and Jesus. So, today you have Christians such as the Catholics who worship Jesus and Mary and believe that Jesus is God and God is Jesus and all sorts of beliefs. Beliefs that dont even make sense.

Anyway, i feel you should apologise to the other member for accusing her of lying, it was unfair.

We do have pretty strict rules here, and we do our best to avoid arguments and keep this website friendly.

thank you.

Submitter

And yet there are so many similarities that it wouldn't be outrageous to claim they have common origins.

Go to page one of this thread and watch the video I posted, "Similarities Between Islam and Christianity". You may then begin to realise why we believe the other Abrahamic religions (Christianity and Judaism) have strayed from the prophets' original teachings, whereas Islam's teachings have remained pure and uncorrupted and reflect exactly what all the prophets of the past had been teaching, right from prophet Adam (as) to the last and final messenger of Allah, prophet Muhammad (pbuh).