New Comer

newsister26

Hello Everyone and Assalaum Alaykum,
I have just coverted to Islam (literally). I became interested, began reading the Quaran and taking classes at my local mosque a few months ago. I have finally made the transition myself. I come from a fairly strict Christian background, and I was wondering if anyone else out there, has had this same dilemia and can offer me some advice... I am terrified to tell my family and friends. I am really worried my family will not except my new beliefs, we are very close and I hate to jeopardize my relationship with them. I would also welcome advice that anyone has on how to best stay away from all the temptations and distractions that are out there. I welcome advice anyone has on how to be a better Muslim.
Thankyou

Al-Salam

Your Sister In Islam
salam o alaikoum sister,
congrats on your desicion. i'm glad for you and i hoop ur family would insha'allah understand ur desicion and respect it. take care sister.
- manal.

A Kashmiri

Asallamu Alaikum ,

Welcome to the muslim Ummah and the religion of Peace- Islam.

I pray to Allah that to increase your Imaan and make you stronger in Imaan - faith.

I remember there was a post recently here where another sister had the same question as to how to act and also how to send the message out to her family. i will try to get it here inshallah.
I am sure there are many reverts here who can give you best advice as they too would have faced this question importanly about family.

I think what is important that you show by your character of muslim that you have changed for Good and you by your actions represent the beauty of Islam. Please remember that it is your duty as muslim to respect your parents and to obey them except in matters of faith, as faith is something which is directly related to the creator of this world , who has created everything and to whom we are responsible individually. I remember on a revert sister here had written in the reply to almost same query that she called her parents and told her as it was the easiest thing to do. Choose better time and place to send them this message.

To increase your knowledge of islam, please keep on reading Quran and its translation and keep on reading seerah or the life of The Last and Final messenger Prophet Mohammed S.A.W.
You should remember that all reverts in today time or at the time of Prophet S.A.W had to go through hard time and i believe this is also an opportunity given by Allah to give you and reward you more than other muslims like us who were born in muslim families.

You should try to be in the company of other muslims around in the locality to keep off from Satans temptations.

Keep on visiting the site and inshallah you will find a lovely circle of brothers and sisters here inshallah.

nadya

romanian muslimah
as-salaam aleikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatu
:SMILY206: to TTI, inshaAllah you’ll have a pleasant and long stay sister
rose1.gif

Congratulation on your conversion. InshaAllah your family will accept your believes.

Looking forward your posts.

May ALLAH (swt) keep us all on the right path.

:hearts:

newsister26

Thank you for your words of advice, your words are very wise and something I can take to heart, inshallah I will continue to grow in faith and knowledge of Islam.

Saidsaad

:salam2:Selam,
Welcome-1.jpg

Selam, I'm a revert to Islam ( over 2 years ). The biggest worry for me was how & when to tell my Christian family. I see them for diner at their house about 3 times a week. I said to them I'm giving up drinking & eating meat, (as they eat alot of pork & a glass of wine with every diner). After 3 months I told them I was studying history & Islam on the internet, slowly over the next few months I said to them I had been to the Mosque where I live to find out more. As time went on they slowly realised I was converting to Islam and they were ok about it. It wasn't such a big shock to them with telling them little bits over 6 months or so.

Muslim-life

Always Alhamdulilah
Salam sister...
WELCOME to TTI.. Insallah you will enjoy enjoy your stay here, and inshallah you will get some usefull advice, because here they are VERY helpfulll.

With love your sister Nermin<3

shari

Brother
:salam2:

First of all welcome sister

I guess best way is to be honest and tell your family the truth and as you are saying that you are very close so they may get angry at first but eventually things will get better InshAllah.

Take care

s 091

welcome

:salam2: hi sister and welcome to the site, I hope that you will make new friends and learn more on your journey. I myself am on the same journey. A piece of advice from myself would to be though not to tell your family about your news over the phone because you yourself would probably not appreciate that yourself, If I were you I would choose the right time when you think that your family would be more prepared to listen to you. I hope that you get the response that you are looking for but if you do not I hope that in time both your family and friends will come round to the idea. It is never easy for some people to accept some of the choices you make in life but I am sure that over time they will come round to the idea because once they see that it has made you a happier and more peaceful person in life they will realise that it is the best choice for yourself. As I say I do wish you all the best and if ever I can help please feel free to pm me and if I can help or you just want to chat I will be more than happy to help. :hearts: :)

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
:salam2:Selam,
Selam, I'm a revert to Islam ( over 2 years ). The biggest worry for me was how & when to tell my Christian family. I see them for diner at their house about 3 times a week. I said to them I'm giving up drinking & eating meat, (as they eat alot of pork & a glass of wine with every diner). After 3 months I told them I was studying history & Islam on the internet, slowly over the next few months I said to them I had been to the Mosque where I live to find out more. As time went on they slowly realised I was converting to Islam and they were ok about it. It wasn't such a big shock to them with telling them little bits over 6 months or so.

My dear new sister :salam2:

I welcome you to Islam, the religion of peace and salvation.
May Allah help you and make it easy for you, InshaAllah.

I think that suggestion from brother Saidsaad has some good points. If you do go to meet your family regularly then slowly start hinting them about Islam, the good things it contains, and your interest in Islam. Hopefully with positive changes in you they would accept your new faith without much resistance. And who knows... they may become Muslim themselves in not too distant future... InshaAllah! The best advise would be to not loose heart. Keep faith in Allah and pray to him to give you and your family members 'Hidayah'. Only He can give guidance. Remember Allah is All-Knower and All-See-er and All-Wise and has power over everything. So have faith in him and everything will be okay, InshaAllah.

Normally we do get many responses from our reverted brothers and sisters, but I guess many of them are busy right now. But they will come.

Once again congratulations on reverting to Islam.
See you around.

:wasalam: