working for the police, haram or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventure_man

salamu alaykum people, i need help in finding the answer to a question.

as you can see from the title of this thread, I have been searching for the answer to the question, is working for the police haram?

Someone once told me something like its haram to uphold another law which is not islam. therefore you shouldn't work for the police. While i do work for the police, i work on the front desk of the station.

So typically the type of things i would do in my job is note down information from people who come into the station to report a crime, e.g. burglary. or for example someone may have lost their wallet, or their car may have been scratched. either way my job is to just get all the details of a crime/enquiry and stick it in a computer.

I've heard people say its haram to work for the police because of how the current situation is over muslims and terroists, etc, how they have been jailing innocent men and so on. But.. im just a receptionist end of.

How does my situation differ from someone who works in the milk section of ASDA, while there is an aisle filled with alcohol next to him. he/she doesn't work in that alcohol section, but it is still a part of ASDA. one explination i heard was because we live in a non muslim country, there is a high chance you wont be working for a muslim, therefore this might make what can be deemed a prohibited situation, permissible. as you need money to survive in this country and so on?

Either way, im just looking for the right answer. Islam comes first.
I would really appreciate some quality opinions, perhaps some hadith. my knowledge isnt exactly dr zakir naik!

Thanks in advance! look forward to hearing some responses.

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:
I have seen muslim police officers here in NY, its very few but they are there, Alhamdullilah. You are doing a service to the community, helping people and this is what muslims do. Muslims are doctors, lawyers, nurses, teachers, they all have a job to do to serve the community. There are also muslim firefighters, mashallah. You are NOT going against the laws of Islam, unless you are in muslim country, but we are not. We must obey the laws of the land and you will be helping and helping to keep order in the community. We need not be extreme, just follow a middle course. Allah knows best.

GAZIJA

Staff member
Esselamu Aleikum

I have also heard that being a Policeman in non-muslim country is not allowed, i do not know it is haram or not? I never looked for fetwa on this issue. Maybe, someone can post sharia answer to that.

weselam

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
As Salaam Alaykum,

We should ask fatwa for these kind of questions to the scholars. I guess there are no scholars on this forum.

Link of fatwa site ---> islam-qa.com
fatwa-online.com

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

i don't think that being a police officer in it's nature is a haram profession. someone has to keep law and order in the world. the real question, is about whose law are we upholding. the law of the unbeliever or the law of the believers. this is where the conflict lies. because there are many kafir laws that are contrary to laws of the sharia. many things that should be punished in the kafir lands are not punished, whereas in sharia based lands they would be punished.

another conflict one may have as a police officer here in the states, is one's ability to continue to fulfil one's islamic duties. will he have time for salat? will he go without fasting during ramadan? will the force still let him wear his beard; because all american law enforcement believe in clean shaved faces.

i think that if i sat that and spoke with my sheikh, he'd say that serving in american or british police forces would be haram. we as muslims in a non muslim country are only obliged to obey the laws of the land, not to uphold the laws of the land. but if we are in are own lands then of course we would be cops, because we would be upholding the sharia.

for me personally, i would stay away from that profession to be on the safe side.
:wasalam:

i think we should refrain from the "i think" word cause we r not scholars n its totally useless to say i think its this or that....no1s asking for ur thoughts here....so pose this question to some fatwa web like islam qa

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
i think we should refrain from the "i think" word cause we r not scholars n its totally useless to say i think its this or that....no1s asking for ur thoughts here....so pose this question to some fatwa web like islam qa

sometimes it's just common sense. not every issue requires a scholar to answer. it's dangerous to only believe a scholar can answer something, that's the same excuse catholic priests use when the faithful question them about the bible. the priests try to say that only they can understand the bible. there have been some islamic scholars that i have heard that i've had to correct.

many times, we have stated things as being haram, that were commonly known to be haram, yet someone still wants daleel. we don't need to provide daleel when we say pork is haram. everyone knows that muslims don't eat pork.

none of us know who is a scholar of islam here. i could be, but i never said anything. and there can be others that are also scholars. do we have to have a degree?

danial

i think ur attitude is not right. if everyone thinks like u we should all not reply to posts n simply wait for scholars to answer.

anyway, I'm in the police force to safeguard the nation, that is my intension.

if u think its haram to serve the force, means its also probably haram to join the army(to protect the country n not to attack others). which would also mean its haram to be a paramedic..well, wouldnt it also mean that its haram to be a citizen of a non-islamic country?since we ABIDE by non islamic laws?

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
to nyerekareem, i still get to pray and keep my beard.

that's good that they do. in many professions, they make practicing your deen difficult. i mean they can't stop us from making the salah technically, but they sometimes hang it over our heads for taking the 5 or 10 minutes for salah as if we weren't hard workers like they are. but they never have problems with people going out 4 or 5 times to smoke a cigarette, which usually takes about 7 minutes to smoke; which smoking isn't a religious command nor is it the employer's obligation to let people go out for a smoke.:wasalam:

i think ur attitude is not right. if everyone thinks like u we should all not reply to posts n simply wait for scholars to answer.

anyway, I'm in the police force to safeguard the nation, that is my intension.

if u think its haram to serve the force, means its also probably haram to join the army(to protect the country n not to attack others). which would also mean its haram to be a paramedic..well, wouldnt it also mean that its haram to be a citizen of a non-islamic country?since we ABIDE by non islamic laws?

yes grandpa u r rite, my attitude is not right.....if every1 thinks like me??....well people reply to posts when they r sure , they shouldnt reply when they say "i think"....why i said that?...thats cause the consequences can b major for having the wrong answer or thought cause it could b going against teachings of Islam..

*if i think its haraam to serve the force?*...where did u get that?..did i say that?...did i give any fatwa unless i am sure of it?....

u said my attitude is not right....now thats weird cause i jz tried to give u some advise that Islam doesnt require our thoughts on it n u say my attitude is not rite .....i mean u must b Mr " know it all " or something then

sometimes it's just common sense. not every issue requires a scholar to answer. it's dangerous to only believe a scholar can answer something, that's the same excuse catholic priests use when the faithful question them about the bible. the priests try to say that only they can understand the bible. there have been some islamic scholars that i have heard that i've had to correct.

many times, we have stated things as being haram, that were commonly known to be haram, yet someone still wants daleel. we don't need to provide daleel when we say pork is haram. everyone knows that muslims don't eat pork.

none of us know who is a scholar of islam here. i could be, but i never said anything. and there can be others that are also scholars. do we have to have a degree?

i didnt say we need a degree...but there should b something like we should b "sure"...i mean im sorry if i was mean but wat i meant to say was if the thought of urs was wrong then well u jz made a sin...i dont know if its major or minor but i sure know its a sin to state something that ur not sure of in Islam

Status
Not open for further replies.