hello! a 14 year old Mormon Seeks guidance pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

lost

Hello everyone...

I'm new, and I guess I'll first just tell a little bit about myself. I'm a fourteen year old girl from the usa..who's just a little lost (hence the name). I'm not Muslim..nor do I consider myself as any other one religion. I have been raised in a christian family, a Mormon family. But in the past year, due to a few experiences (which I'll not mention now), I've felt that the church I belonged to wasn't teaching the whole truth (and if there are any Mormons here, I apologize if that offends them..but this is my own feeling). And..don't ask me why, because I'm not entirely sure, but it's led me to Islam. Meaning, suddenly I've gained this intense interest in it.
I'm not sure why having these experiences has brought an interest in Islam to me, it just doesn't seem to have any relation at all. I've looked up various sites, and read a lot about it.. and I'm seriously considering maybe converting. But I am still not so sure. I still do not completely understand everything that muslims are about, and was hoping that maybe talking to some would help..or at least feeling their faith first hand.
I currently live in an area where the population is 95% Mormon..and so naturally, the children grow up used to that, and when someone different comes along..it is hard for them to accept. But the point is, there are no mosques or any thing like that for hours and hours away..so it isn't easy if someone wants to learn about the muslim religion.
I am just searching for the truth..and I know, I am young, but I still have a mind and I still have a natural desire to want to know the truth. I'm just trying to follow my heart..and this is where it's led me..so I'm hoping I can find a few answers.
I am still pretty ignorant when it comes to the muslim religion.I guess what I am ultimately asking is if I could have some opinions, thoughts, views..and help in my situation.

Anyways, I apologize for the length..and I look forward to meeting some of you.
Take care!

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Hi and welcome to the website, we at TurnToIslam.com will try our best to help you inshaAllah.

Firstly i would like to ask,
Do you believe in God?

Muslims believe in One God, Allah. Essentially this is the same God that is believed by the Jews and Christians, however the difference is that Muslims worship him without associating any partners to him. He has no son, no helper and is the only one worthy of worship.

Muslims also believe in Jesus (peace be upon him) and in the virgin Mary. However, we do not worship either of them. We love them both, yet we do not raise them or any other human to a status reserved for God almighty.

There are a lot of good articles that you can go through at your own leisure here:

This is an link is index of articles aimed at introducing Islam and many of the major beliefs:
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

What do Muslims think About Jesus?

Who is Allah ?

Answers to Common Questions About Islam!!

I would like to say that Islam is the pure Abrahamic faith. Islam is not a new religion, it is the same message that was revealed to Prophet's before Muhammad :saw: including Soloman, Joseph, Abraham, Moses, Jesus. That message was to worship one God without ascribing any partners to him.

There are also a few good videos you can see:

I recommend the following, it goes through many topics
1. Learn About Islam Full Video Covering Many Topics

This next one will give you a feel to what a Mosque is like, as well as footage of Muslim prayers fully translated.
2. The Mosque - Full Muslim Sermon and Prayers TRANSLATED Also Eid Celebrations

This one covers some misconceptions people may have:
3. Feature Length film on True Islam

Also, im not sure if you have seen the following, but these are of interest too, they are videos of people who have become Muslim recently :

Muslim in Texas

Muslim in the Family UK

Iman (Monica) Aparicio Christianity to Islam

This is the complete list here:
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6&order=desc

Feel free to add any thoughts and questions that come to mind, we have experience speaking to and discussing religion with people from all faiths. Although, some of the team here is away on vacation. :p

lost

hi again..
Well...I suppose, I believe in one divine being who created all things. So yes, I do believe in God. Just because I don't consider myself in any official religion right now..doesn't mean I dont have my own beliefs. I just want to know if what I am believeing is true..and what else I need to do to add to that.
Thank you for the references..I guess I do get the jist of what it's all about. And everything that I have read so far, seems very sensible and very believeable to me. And I have a very good feeling about it all. But I have other troubles that rule my descision. One of which..is the, very reasonable, fear that my family would no longer accept me if they knew that I doubted their religion.
I read some where, that a girl was wondering if it was okay that she had been hiding the fact that she was muslim from her family. The responses were usually...yes, it is fine to hide it from your family.
On my opinion...I feel that hiding it is just like lying. And to me, lying is terrible, especially to your own parents. So that is basically my dillema and the major thing making me hesitate.
I do believe in obeying and respecting your parents, but..I cannot help it if my own mind and my own heart keep telling me that their religion is not where I need to be. If that makes sense. And pretending to be someone I am not, is only lying to myself..as well as everyone else.
Anyways, I hope this is all making sense..I tend to not work so well with words...

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Hi again,

yes i understand your words and your dilema, and you are quite young too at 14.. However, to follow and Obey God comes before anyone else so it is important that you go with your heart and become Muslim. InshaAllah, it will be easy for you and Allah will help you.

If you truly fear your parents then embrace Islam in secret, as you say that you will feel guilty about lying to your parents, keep in mind that becoming Muslim and Obeying Allah :swt: the one who created you, protects you, and loves his creation .. is much more important.

Of course Islam puts high regards on the status of Family values and those of parents... However, we can not obey them when or if they make us do any wrong. This is the only time we should not listen to them.

Hopefully,Allah will help your parents and they will see the good things from your coming to Islam, and inshaAllah once they understand the beauty of Islam, they too will accept it.

I will send you a PM with some contact info inshaAllah and help you get in touch with some good muslim sisters who sometimes work on this website as well, and who can give guidance and you can talk to them.

Take Care. Bye.

Ameer

Muslim-

Hi 'Lost'. Welcome here.

it is nice to see a 14 year old, who is searching for the truth in times we live in! very good.

if you want to know more about Islam i would recommend

http://www.beconvinced.com

lost said:
hi again..
One of which..is the, very reasonable, fear that my family would no longer accept me if they knew that I doubted their religion.
I read some where, that a girl was wondering if it was okay that she had been hiding the fact that she was muslim from her family. The responses were usually...yes, it is fine to hide it from your family.
On my opinion...I feel that hiding it is just like lying. And to me, lying is terrible, especially to your own parents. So that is basically my dillema and the major thing making me hesitate.
I do believe in obeying and respecting your parents, but..I cannot help it if my own mind and my own heart keep telling me that their religion is not where I need to be. If that makes sense. And pretending to be someone I am not, is only lying to myself..as well as everyone else.
Anyways, I hope this is all making sense..I tend to not work so well with words...

Well you gotta first consider since you want to search for the truth, and once you find the truth, or have found it, then whether you want to accept it or not. Yes there will be hard times, life is not about all easy decisions! But if you make a decision to follow the truth, then God will help you.

Islam would still help you to respect your parents. If you do accept Islam, then I hope your parents accept it from you, and it goes easy for you.

mr. ok

Dear Lost

Through curiosity comes great knowledge.

To everyone, Salam-mun-alay-kum-warahma-tulahi-wabara-katoho (peace be upon all of you). 1st of all I would like to compliment you, Lost. I admire your curiosity, not because you keep an interest for Islam. I admire your curiosity because you’re not scared to explore. MashALLAH! (a phrase literally meaning 'What Allah wishes', and it indicates a good omen [example of usage, I get an A in a test, my mother would say MashAllah])

You’re a true warrior in my books. I believe the most valuable and loving thing a person can give another is knowledge (share). ALLAH-HO-AKBAR (Allah alone is the Greatest of all!) Now about converting to Islam, I suggest you first become familiar with Islam then make a decision. Do some research? Get familiar with the basics. I think you’re bright and a very responsible person for your age. MashALLAH! And I hope you do well.

Now who would know your parents better then you? Believe it or not if you don’t convert there’s a bright side to all of this. By studying you will know more about islam (general knowledge). Almost everyone has their own version of “truth”. Am not much of a philosopher but I will give it a try. “Through curiosity comes great knowledge and through knowledge comes great responsibility.

With knowledge comes great power (TRUTH).” If you do convert to Islam then take it easy. You don’t have to tell you parents right away. Tell them when you feel they can accept the fact that you’re a Muslim. Before telling your parents the good news, create a friendly environment. Start off with a joke or two. Hopefully, this way they will let their guard down. Don’t get me wrong; accepting you will be hard, beyond their imagination.

I just wish everything goes well. InshALLAH (if ALLAH wills). ALLAH forbid, the worst thing that can happen to you is that they kick you out of their house. If they do that we Muslims will provide you with shelter, food, clothes, job etc as it’s our duty to do so. Lost, by the way where are you from (state)? If you need anything you are most welcome to come to me. “The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.”

Wish you happiness and comfort.

Osama Khalil

mr. ok

Dear Administrator

LA HAWLA WALA QUWWATA ILLA BILLAH

Do with all respect sir i think you have misunderstood my post. I was not trying to contact her for me self interest. i said IF her parents kick her out i can help her with shelter, food, and clothes etc. My intensions where all good. Thank you for hearing me out.

JAZAKALLAHU KHAIRAN

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
mr. ok said:

Do with all respect sir i think you have misunderstood my post. I was not trying to contact her for me self interest. i said IF her parents kick her out i can help her with shelter, food, and clothes etc. My intensions where all good. Thank you for hearing me out.

JAZAKALLAHU KHAIRAN

:salam2:

Your threads are going to be monitored, please keep in mind that it is not good suggesting a girl contacts you and stays with you. :astag:

Please stick to Islamic guidelines,

lost

Thank you for your advice, Mr. ok (as well as to 'Muslim-') and offer. That's very kind of you. To tell the truth, I had not expected to recieve much attention here. But I'm grateful that that could be proved wrong.
For the passed few weeks, actually..I've been reading a lot about Islam. And to tell the truth, the majority of it I already believed and learned on my own...and...at least, tried to live my life by. But then again, the world these days isn't such a pleasant place. The pressure is high for me to dress, behave, talk, or believe a certain way in order to be accepted.
The thing is, through my eyes, I think everyone was born with the capability of knowing right from wrong on their own. So I have just been following what I believe is right. And, honestly, I have never had a boyfriend, and never intended to..at least not until I'm much older..So as to avoid any 'certain' temptations.
And sure enough, as I found..Muslims are against fornication as well as many other things I do my best to avoid (correct me if I'm wrong....?). The way I see it, if I were to convert..there would be no downside. And it would assure me that I am not alone in what I believe is right and true.
But yes, I do think I need to learn a bit more about it first. Because there is basically only one thing that I'm a little unsure about...but the reason is only lack of knowledge. It's about Muhammad (and as I've noticed that people normally say something along the line's of 'peace be upon him', but I apologize if I'm not paying the right respects yet.) being sent as a prophet by God. But I'm sure I will be able to decide once I learn more about who he really was and what he taught.
Anyways, thank you, Mr. ok, for your unneeded praise. It is nice to know that I am appreciated for who I am.

mr. ok said:

JAZAKALLAHU KHAIRAN

I wrote "sorry email is not allowed" it's short and sample phrase.
"Ina ba'da dani ithm" brother no one said something about you.
Emails are not allowed because some silly people can take it and strat disturbing you.
For "lost" she has truth inside her heart by Fitra, and she is reading to find the straight path so as to be convinced by herself to do the thing if Allah wants and guides her.
So she is reading as she said and when she asked she received the question.
So incha' Allah all things will be fine with her and may Allah help her

mr. ok

Dear Mabsoot

Mabsoot said:

Your threads are going to be monitored, please keep in mind that it is not good suggesting a girl contacts you and stays with you. :astag:

Please stick to Islamic guidelines,

Salam Dear Mabsoot. 1st of all i would like to point out that am a new member to this website. i dont know now how to send private messages that is why i was forced to post this on this forum. okay at some point you are right. i agree that it is HARAM to contact a girl and to ask her if she wants to live with me. however try considering my point of view as i didnt mean it that way!

1st off all i would like to point out that after she becomes a muslim and if her parents kick her out i can provide her with shelter that will be SEPARATE and have no contact with her what so ever. Only me sisters will + me mother. i hope this post clears everyones doubts. Thank you for hearing me out.

Allah Hafiz :)

mr. ok

Dear Super Monitor

Look guys i was only tryin to help her. you guys are accusing me for something i have never thought of. i am not apologizing to you sir. b4 i didnt read the rules which was my fault & i will only apologize 4 that. which i already did to Maboot. try to understand that when you post something about me in the forum then i have clear everyones doubts that are assumed upon me! Thanks for hearing me out. Plz do not attack me

Allah Hafiz

lost

To Mabsoot..no worries, I do realize the danger of corresponding with people over the internet.
But I also recognized Mr. ok's offer as being just sign of friendship and trust. I don't expect to be kicked out of my home...but in the unlikely event of it actually happening, I admit it is a comfort to know that someone does still care.

And to Mr. ok...I think all you have to do to send a private message is click on the person's nickname beside their post, and there's an option on the drop down menu that says you can send them a private message. Also, if you look on the top right-hand side of any page, it should show that you are logged on and there's a link to your inbox there.

I hope that helps...

lost

and.. just to add to that...I wouldn't have posted my age in a forum unless I felt that I could for the most part, trust the readers.

mr. ok

Dear lost

I think it was a bad idea to offer you shelter. i was only tryin to be compassionate. this argument shouldnt have gone this far. i appreciate maboots concern. he is only tryin to protect you (consider it a big brother thing) which is admirable, even when he is a stranger (assuming). i would do the same and i am trying to do so. Maboot is right it is dangerous to correspond to people on the internet.

i can assure you that i am nothing like that. am not getting anything out of this. + who said you had to come to me house? that was just an offer. my reputation in here is being exploited. so lets get the record straight. am not gana bring up the house thing again as this is going to far. i think your better off where you live, in your state.

ALLAH forbid, if your kicked outa your house, what i can do for you is send you some money where ever you want it to be delivered. then i have to assure your conversion. lets forget about you coming to me house. i think am being to concerned about you becoming homeless but its always good to know that people are willing to help others. i would like to give you some advice but b4 that you have to understand how the converting process goes. this is how people usually convert.

1st you gather up some witnesses. i suggest you go to a masjid (islamic "church") if your realy thinkin about converting. The masjid isnt only filled with witnesses but with people who are willing to help (especially a new converter). 2nd you will be takin the shahādatān and you will say ("two testimonies"): ašhadu 'an lā ilāha illā-llāhu; wa ašhadu 'an muhammadun-r-rasūlu-llāh — "I bear witness that there is no Elah ("god") worthy of worship but Allah, and I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.

so ALLAH forbid, even if your homeless after going to a masjid (any1) all your Finical, shelter, clothes and food problems will be solved. i hope you can find this information to be useful. this will be my last post talkin about this.
All the best! ;)

Mr. Ok

lost

Once again, thank you. You're all too kind. I have read about what is involved in actually becoming a muslim..but thanks anyway.

I apologize if I have been the cause of any problems/issues/mistrustings between any of the members here. If so, I promise it was not intentional at all. And if you like, we can drop the subject there.

Back to the point, part of my problem is that there are no masjid's or mosques or anything like that near enough to me that I could travel unknown to. I had looked it up in several sources and the nearest known muslim church...or whatever else it is called...is about half-a-days drive away. So I assume I am getting no help or experience in person.
It does put me in a position where I'm thinking now that there is no possible way for me to learn as I'd like to first hand, rather than just by reading articles on the internet when able. And it also has me thinking that it is impossible for me to carry on any other way then I had been before. And to tell the truth..I've slowly been giving in to the pressures placed on me, and trying to convince myself that it's okay because 'everyone else is doing it'..when really, I feel as if I'm betraying everything good left in this world.

I do have to admit that, not only is it that I believe in these things, it's also that I have noticed muslim women are the most respected, and dare I say, 'unopressed' women in the world. I'm not trying to show self-pity nor trying to offend anyone, but I think I..as well as many other females..are opressed in a different, more subtle way. That is, in order to be accepted, feel worth something, or appear 'appealing' to certain others..You have to dress, talk, act, believe etc. as they want you to. If that makes sense.
That's not what this is about, so I wont go any further..but what I'm getting at is...Maybe the 'bad experiences' that have happened to me, and will continue to happen to me could be stopped.
But dont take that the wrong way, please...The hope of gaining more respect from others for myself and my body is only a plus...It is NOT the only reason why I've come here looking to learn.

I have to admit, I might've entered these forums a little too excited and a little too eager. Well..I am excited to learn..and I know I should slow down a bit...I am quite aware of what a big descision this all entails.
Anyways, again, I hope I've made sense. A 14 year old girl attempting to express herself is a little difficult sometimes...

muslimaha

aslamu alekum

Masha allah....
hello Lost & welcome to the website/Islam
you're very young but courages, i really admire what you're doing and how much interest you have in religion(Islam)..may Allah guide you to the right path and help you through your journey fo discovering the truth because Islam is the truth.
Insha allah (if Allah wills) all these brothers and sisters in Islam will help you and answer your question. if you need any help we're all here for you.
:) :ma:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member

Brother mr OK, in the PM i said it was OK, inshaAllah,

please dont worry about it, we know you are just being Sincere and kind!!

Just we have to be careful on this website, there are people who abuse the rules. And often they are banned immediately. And of course, we have no clue about who new members are.

InshaAllah, I hope to see more from you and i hope we can be good friends and Muslim brothers.

Wasalam.
Take Care. :) :) :)

Ameer.

P.S the rules are on almost every page at the top: INFORMATION FOR ALL MEMBERS, JOINING AND HELPING THE WEBSITE !

Muslim-

lost said:
For the passed few weeks, actually..I've been reading a lot about Islam. And to tell the truth, the majority of it I already believed and learned on my own...and...at least, tried to live my life by. But then again, the world these days isn't such a pleasant place. The pressure is high for me to dress, behave, talk, or believe a certain way in order to be accepted.
The thing is, through my eyes, I think everyone was born with the capability of knowing right from wrong on their own. So I have just been following what I believe is right. And, honestly, I have never had a boyfriend, and never intended to..at least not until I'm much older..So as to avoid any 'certain' temptations.
And sure enough, as I found..Muslims are against fornication as well as many other things I do my best to avoid (correct me if I'm wrong....?). The way I see it, if I were to convert..there would be no downside. And it would assure me that I am not alone in what I believe is right and true.
But yes, I do think I need to learn a bit more about it first. Because there is basically only one thing that I'm a little unsure about...but the reason is only lack of knowledge. It's about Muhammad (and as I've noticed that people normally say something along the line's of 'peace be upon him', but I apologize if I'm not paying the right respects yet.) being sent as a prophet by God. But I'm sure I will be able to decide once I learn more about who he really was and what he taught.
Anyways, thank you, Mr. ok, for your unneeded praise. It is nice to know that I am appreciated for who I am.

Hi 'Lost',

it's not surprising to hear that you already believe in what you have read about Islam. Islam is a religion that is for mankind. It continues the message given in the Bible and also in the Torah. The only problem is, that the Torah and Bible were then changed by man, otherwise in their true form, they were a revelation from God, just as the Quran is.

Jesus is our beloved prophet, just as Moses is. (peace be upon them).

Islam and Christianity has various similarities, such as what you stated yourself.

I totally agree with you, the pressure is high for people to conform to society, rather than with religion. For example girls under go a lot of pressure concerning their appearance, because in Western society there is a lot of value to outward appearance (e.g fashion e.t.c). Whereas people are people, there is a outside to them, but a more important inside!

And as you said you will learn more, and then decide. Do learn about the life of Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him as you said! Because you will learn what a compassionate man he was, and also has mentioned Jesus in various narrations of his. For example:

Muhammad (sala Allâhu ‘alihi was-Salaam) said:

“I am the most worthy of ‘Issa bin Marium (Jesus the son of Mary) in this life and in the hereafter.” They (Sahaba - companions) asked: “Why is that O Messenger of Allâh (sala Allâhu ‘alihi was-Salaam)?”

He (sala Allâhu ‘alihi was-Salaam) replied:

“The Prophets are paternal (bloodline) brethren (from fathers side). Their mothers may be different (races, peoples, bloodlines) yet their Deen (religion) is always one .” Reported by Bukhari and Muslim.

Also in the Quran you have the story of Mary who is highly regarded in Islam, as one of the best females who ever walked on this Earth. An example for all women. A chapter is about her story.

Status
Not open for further replies.