TINY AMOUNT OF ALCOHOL - ACCEPTED

Status
Not open for further replies.

sajjuaiah

Doha, April 13: Prominent Qatar-based Muslim scholar Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi has sparked controversy by issuing a religious law allowing Muslims to consume tiny amounts of alcohol, which is banned in Islam.
"The latest fatwa caused confusion among people... We could have done without it," the editor of the Qatari daily Ash-Sharq, Abdullatif al-Mahmoud, wrote on Thursday.

In his fatwa published on Tuesday in the Qatar's Al-Arab newspaper, the Egyptian-born Qaradawi said that consuming drinks containing small quantities of alcohol that is "constituted naturally through fermentation" did not violate Islamic teachings.

"The presence of alcohol in a proportion of five in a thousand (0.5 percent) is not banned because it is a minimal quantity, especially when it is produced by natural fermentation. Hence there's nothing wrong in consuming such a drink," Qaradawi said.

But Ash-Sharq's editor said "the fatwa will open the door to those who want to consume drinks containing small proportions of alcohol under the pretext that neither the Quran nor the Sunna (Prophet Mohammed's sayings and doings) defined the proportion" that is permitted or banned.

"Fermentation, when natural, is an ongoing process that does not stop at a certain limit and is difficult to measure," Mahmoud said.

Qaradawi, an influential Sunni cleric, told AFP on Thursday that his fatwa sparked controversy because it had not been properly understood.

The fatwa came in response to a question about "an energy drink available on the market" in Qatar, a conservative Muslim state, he said.

A former dean of the sharia (Islamic law) school at Qatar University, Abdul Hamid al-Ansari, told AFP he agreed with the content of Qaradawi's fatwa.

But Ansari said he objected to the number of fatwas being issued in Muslim societies, saying they are "hampering their progress."

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
Doha, April 13: Prominent Qatar-based Muslim scholar Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi has sparked controversy by issuing a religious law allowing Muslims to consume tiny amounts of alcohol, which is banned in Islam.
"The latest fatwa caused confusion among people... We could have done without it," the editor of the Qatari daily Ash-Sharq, Abdullatif al-Mahmoud, wrote on Thursday.

In his fatwa published on Tuesday in the Qatar's Al-Arab newspaper, the Egyptian-born Qaradawi said that consuming drinks containing small quantities of alcohol that is "constituted naturally through fermentation" did not violate Islamic teachings.

"The presence of alcohol in a proportion of five in a thousand (0.5 percent) is not banned because it is a minimal quantity, especially when it is produced by natural fermentation. Hence there's nothing wrong in consuming such a drink," Qaradawi said.

But Ash-Sharq's editor said "the fatwa will open the door to those who want to consume drinks containing small proportions of alcohol under the pretext that neither the Quran nor the Sunna (Prophet Mohammed's sayings and doings) defined the proportion" that is permitted or banned.

"Fermentation, when natural, is an ongoing process that does not stop at a certain limit and is difficult to measure," Mahmoud said.

Qaradawi, an influential Sunni cleric, told AFP on Thursday that his fatwa sparked controversy because it had not been properly understood.

The fatwa came in response to a question about "an energy drink available on the market" in Qatar, a conservative Muslim state, he said.

A former dean of the sharia (Islamic law) school at Qatar University, Abdul Hamid al-Ansari, told AFP he agreed with the content of Qaradawi's fatwa.

But Ansari said he objected to the number of fatwas being issued in Muslim societies, saying they are "hampering their progress."

Astagferullah! When it is said "haram" we shouldn't even smell it! Let alone consume little bit.
I'm not sure why the scholar would try to find loopholes. Surely the scholar knows far more than I do, however this doesn't make sense considering it's already labeled "haram". Logically speaking you wouldn't try to find loopholes in such things.

Disappointing! Bahrain already allows alcohol, that's where the alcoholics from the surrounding area goes. I hope this doesn't encourage people to try to drink. Astagferullah!:astag:

personally I hate the smell and taste of alcohol, also not having control of my faculties......
I would rather have a smoothie or something, taste much better! And it is very refreshing!

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله

It is known in Islam that a Fatwa can only be admissible if the majority of the scholars agreed on it. so dont mind what you read or heard!!

NAVEED

Assalamoalikum

Sheikh Qardawi is not new to controversies, so I am not surprised.I am most ignorant of all but how , when some thing is as explicitly haram in Quran as alchhal can deemed halal, because of little quantity. so next step would be bribe and interest and so on and so forth will be ok as long as quantity is little ? oh Allah SWT bless us with knowledgeable good fearing scholars, Ameen.

shari

Brother
:salam2:

well i say why do we have to drink that why to get in confusion there are many non-alcoholic good beverages then why to go for that

Salem9022

This Al-Qaradawi Is a very Ignorant Man, He even supports Singing and Dancing and Inter-Mingling between the Sexes, when he was in Egypt he told a Newspaper how much he listens to Umm Kholtoum, and Fairouz and other singers. On top of that he Supports Suicide As well. He has many Deviant beliefs Like Saying that the Creation is More Knowledgable then Allah. best you should stay away from this kind of Person.

sajjuaiah

“O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al‑Ansaab (stone altars for offering sacrifices to idols, the jinn, etc), and Al‑Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful.

Shaytaan (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from As‑Salaah (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?

And obey Allaah and the Messenger (Muhammad), and beware (of even coming near to drinking or gambling or Al‑Ansaab, or Al‑Azlaam) and fear Allaah. Then if you turn away, you should know that it is Our Messenger’s duty to convey (the Message) in the clearest way”

[al-Maa'idah 5:90-92]

"O ye who believe!
Intoxicants and Gambling,
(Dedication of) stones,
And (divination by) arrows,
Are an Abomination –
Of Satan’s handiwork;
Eschew such (abomination),
That ye may prosper."
[Al-Qur’an 5:90]

The Prophet of Islam Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:

In Sunan Ibn-I-Majah Volume 3, Book of Intoxicants, Chapter 30 Hadith No. 3371.

"Alcohol is the mother of all evils and it is the most shameful of evils."

In Sunan Ibn-I-Majah Volume 3, Book of Intoxicants, Chapter 30 Hadith No. 3392

"Anything which intoxicates in a large quantity, is prohibited even in a small quantity."

Thus there is no excuse for a nip or a tot.

Not only those who drink alcohol are cursed but also those who deal with them directly or indirectly are cursed by Allah.

According to Sunan Ibn-I-Majah Volume 3, Book of Intoxicants, Chapter 30 Hadith No. 3380.

It was reported by Anas (may Allah be pleased with him), that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said:

"God’s curse falls on ten groups of people who deal with alcohol. The one who distills it, the one for whom it has been distilled, the one who drinks it, the one who transports it, the one to who it has been brought, the one whom serves it, the one who sells it, the one who utilizes money from it, the one who buys it and the one who buys it for someone else."

8. Diseases associated with alcoholism
There are several scientific reasons for the prohibition of consumption of intoxicants i.e. alcohol. The maximum number of deaths in the world related to any one particular cause is due to the consumption of alcohol. Millions of people die every year only because of intake of alcohol. I need not go into the details of all the ill-effects of alcohol since most of them are commonly known. Below is a simple list of few of the alcohol related illnesses:

Cirrhosis of Liver is the most well known alcohol associated disease.

Others are Cancer of Oesophagus, Cancer of Head and Neck, Cancer of Liver (Hepatoma), Cancer of Bowel, etc.

Oesophagitis, Gastritis, Pancreatitis and Hepatitis are linked with alcohol consumption.

Cardiomyopathy, Hypertension, Coronary Artherosclerosis, Angina and Heart Attacks are linked with heavy alcohol intakes.

Strokes, Apoplexy, Fits and different types of Paralysis are linked with alcohol intake.

Peripheral Neuropathy, Cortical Atrophy, Cerebellar Atrophy are well-known syndromes caused by alcohol consumption.

Wernicke – Korsakoff syndrome with amnesia of recent events, confabulations and retainment of memory to old events with different types of paralysis are mainly due to thiamine deficiency due to excessive alcohol intake.

Beriberi and other deficiencies are not uncommon among alcoholics. Even Pellagra occurs in alcoholics.

Delerium Tremens is a serious complication that may occur during recurrent infection of alcoholics or post operatively. It also occurs during abstention as a sign of withdrawal effect. It is quite serious and may cause death even if treated in well equipped centres.

Numerous Endocrine Disorders have been associated with alcoholism ranging from Myxodema to Hyperthyroidism and Florid Cushing Syndrome.

Hematological ill effects are long and variable. Folic acid deficiency, however, is the most common manifestation of alcoholic abuse resulting in Macrocytic Anemia. Zeive’s syndrome is a triad of Hemolytic Anemia, Jaundice and Hyperlipaedemia that follows alcoholic binges.

Thrombocytopenia and other platelet abnormalities are not rare in alcoholics.

The commonly used tablet metronidazole (flagyl) interacts badly with alcohol.

Recurrent infection is very common among chronic alcoholics. The resistance to disease and the immunological defense system are compromised by alcohol intake.

Chest infections are notorious in alcoholics. Pneumonia, Lung Abcess, Emphysema and Pulmonary Tuberculosis are all common in alcoholics.

During acute alcoholic intoxication, the drunk person usually vomits, the cough reflexes which are protective are paralysed. The vomitus thus easily pass to the lung causing Pneumonia or Lung Abscess. Occasionally it may even cause suffocation and death.

The ill effects of alcohol consumption on women deserves special mention. Females are more vulnerable to alcohol-related Cirrhosis than men. During pregnancy alcohol consumption has a severe detrimental effect on the foetus. Foetal Alcohol Syndrome is being recognised more and more in the medical profession.

Skin diseases are also related to alcohol indulgence.

Eczema, Alopecia, Nail Dystrophy, Paronychia (infection around the nails) and Angular Stomatitis (inflammation of the angle of the mouth) are common diseases among alcoholics.

9. Alcoholism is a ‘disease’
Medical doctors have now turned liberal towards alcoholics and call alcoholism a disease rather than an addiction.

The Islamic Research Foundation has published a pamphlet that says:

If alcohol is a disease, it is the only disease that:

- Is sold in bottles

- Is advertised in newspapers, magazines, on radio and television

- Has licensed outlets to spread it

- Produces revenue for the government

- Brings violent deaths on the highways

- Destroys family life and increases crime

- Has no germs or viral cause

ALCOHOLISM IS NOT A DISEASE – IT IS SATAN’S HANDIWORK

Allah (swt) in His Infinite Wisdom has warned us against this snare of Satan. Islam is called the "Deen-ul-Fitrah" or the natural religion of Man. All its injunctions are aimed at preserving the natural state of man. Alcohol is a deviation from this natural state, for the individual as well as for society. It degrades man to a level below that of the beasts he claims to be superior to. Hence the consumption of alcohol is prohibited in Islam.

Jazakmullah Hu-Khairan

al-muslimah

Salem9022 :

saghforallah!! you cant say that hes ignorant..he's still an islamic scholor!! he knows more than you and me knows..even tho he mistakened!!

mosabaig

Uraine also

Assalam O alakum,

Sorry to offend, but after the clear Haram order of Allah, how this so called Shaik........May Allah guide him too and make his Imaan strong and increase his Takwa

Musa abu A'isha

Aussie Muslim
As-Salaamu `Alaykum dear brothers and sisters...

By Allaah, I feel ashamed sometimes when I see the state of this Ummah, or at least those who are present here on the internet.

Did you know that the Shaykh, all of his other issues aside, is spot on with the correct and what I believe is majority view on this issue?

Why do I say this? Please take the effort of reading the following -

A drop of that which intoxicates is Haraam (forbidden) in large or small amounts.

Now imagine - If I knew somebody placed a drop of alcohol in 100 litres of water, would that whole 100 litres become Haraam for me as it has a drop of alcohol in it?

No, it would not. Why not? Because that 100 litres of water is not intoxicating. Even if you drank all of it you would never become intoxicated by it. So the water in question is not included in the Hadeeth - 'that which intoxicates' - as it does not intoxicate.

When alcohol changes its nature it is no longer Haraam due to its intoxicating effect.
For example, de-natured alcohol does not intoxicate and is therefore permissible (except for the fact that its poisonous usually), and vinegar is also Halaal even though it went from being grapes to alcohol then to its final state.

When alcohol is no longer able to intoxicate it is no longer treated as alcohol.
If we say that a drop of alcohol is still Haraam when added to something else, as the issue is in the fatwa - then technically if I put 1 drop of alcohol in the Pacific ocean, all sea water would therefore be Haraam for everyone in the world to drink!

When the liquid in front of you cannot intoxicate, even if you drank the most that your body could fit, then it is no longer intoxicating, and the majority of the scholars of Islaam from what I know are clear on this.
Please don't attack any scholar before doing proper research on the issue, Sh Qaradhawi may err in many fataawa he gives, but he is on the ball with this one, may Allaah reward him and all of our hardworking scholars.

Al-Salam

Your Sister In Islam
salam,

my brother told me yesterday that he heared something like that. i can't believe that a muslim sholar would say something like this. :astag:

Musa abu A'isha

Aussie Muslim
By the way, one of our Shaykhs told us that it is Haraam to add alcohol purposefully to something, but as the fatwa states if it has been added and is of a negligible amount and does not intoxicate it is permissible to consume it.
So the fatwa is not allowing alcohol to be added, lest that is misunderstood...

NAVEED

As-Salaamu `Alaykum dear brothers and sisters...

By Allaah, I feel ashamed sometimes when I see the state of this Ummah, or at least those who are present here on the internet.

Did you know that the Shaykh, all of his other issues aside, is spot on with the correct and what I believe is majority view on this issue?

Why do I say this? Please take the effort of reading the following -

A drop of that which intoxicates is Haraam (forbidden) in large or small amounts.

Now imagine - If I knew somebody placed a drop of alcohol in 100 litres of water, would that whole 100 litres become Haraam for me as it has a drop of alcohol in it?

No, it would not. Why not? Because that 100 litres of water is not intoxicating. Even if you drank all of it you would never become intoxicated by it. So the water in question is not included in the Hadeeth - 'that which intoxicates' - as it does not intoxicate.

When alcohol changes its nature it is no longer Haraam due to its intoxicating effect.
For example, de-natured alcohol does not intoxicate and is therefore permissible (except for the fact that its poisonous usually), and vinegar is also Halaal even though it went from being grapes to alcohol then to its final state.

When alcohol is no longer able to intoxicate it is no longer treated as alcohol.
If we say that a drop of alcohol is still Haraam when added to something else, as the issue is in the fatwa - then technically if I put 1 drop of alcohol in the Pacific ocean, all sea water would therefore be Haraam for everyone in the world to drink!

When the liquid in front of you cannot intoxicate, even if you drank the most that your body could fit, then it is no longer intoxicating, and the majority of the scholars of Islaam from what I know are clear on this.
Please don't attack any scholar before doing proper research on the issue, Sh Qaradhawi may err in many fataawa he gives, but he is on the ball with this one, may Allaah reward him and all of our hardworking scholars.

Assalamoalikum

another example what will you do when you know that there is drop of urine in pot of milk, or may be five litre or ten litre what will you do ? giving example of size of pacific ocean is completly irrelevent.something which has been ordered as haram by All Knowing should stay as haram for believers, does't matter person allowing has how mant titles with his name. and Allah knows best.

Musa abu A'isha

Aussie Muslim
Assalamoalikum

another example what will you do when you know that there is drop of urine in pot of milk, or may be five litre or ten litre what will you do ? giving example of size of pacific ocean is completly irrelevent.something which has been ordered as haram by All Knowing should stay as haram for believers, does't matter person allowing has how mant titles with his name. and Allah knows best.
Human urine is not intoxicating, rather it is naajis (impure). Animal urine from most animals is Taahir (pure), and I would not hesitate to consume it, the Prophet even recommended the urine of the camel as a cure to a certain ailment.

If there is a drop of human urine it is best to avoid it, however if it is so minute so that the smell, colour or taste of the water has not changed then the water is definitely purifying (it may be used to clean things which are naajis) and may also be pure. How many people urinate in the ocean? Yet we still swim in it don't we?

Let me seriously ask - Who here has actually studied these areas of fiqh?
I have for one, and it seems those who have are the ones who aren't complaining, yet those who haven't are making the most fuss...

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
:salam2:

JazakAllah brother Musa for explaining to us. May Allah reward you for it.

P.S. I would ask my brothers and sisters before making any claims or blaming the shaykh please ask a scholar about what he said. Allah commanded us to ask the knowlegable ones if we are in doubt.

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
what do you guys think about this fatwa

If the structure of alcohol in ice-cream changes

Question:
i am a 21 guy i been working in ice cream store for more then 5 years everything going fine with my boss and all the ice cream are clean excepted for 1 thing i found out earlier that we have 3 flavore countain little bit of the ethyl alcohol wich dont make u drunk or dont make any harmfull to any 1 and a lots of muslims buy it so is it haram to eat or to sell or to even work in that place??? please provide me and by the way i think when we make the flavores i guess the alcohol will fly away . thanks for ur answer walsalam alykoom

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We think that there is nothing wrong with that. If the amount is small it will absorbed and no trace of it will be left, and it will evaporate. So he should stay in this place, and this small amount will not affect him.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=8968&ln=eng&txt=amount of alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.