Concerning verse 44:5

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHAH01

well nation of islam contradict them wen they say ELIJAH MUHAMMED IS THE MESSENGER (OF ALLAH). to be a messenger "of allah" one must be a messenger and a prophet.... but they now deny elijah was a prophet.... and in the caise of islam... wen allah spkz of messengers.... it is clear he is speaking of prophets. and our shahadah is "there is no god ut allah and muhammed is the "FINAL" prophet AND messenger of ALLAH... THE AND BETWEEN MESSENGER AND PROPHET DUZ NOT INDICATE A DIFFERENT MEANING OF THE TWO IN THE CAISE OF ISLAM.... IT MEANS HE WAS THE FINAL PROPHET AND FINAL MESSENGER OF ALLAH..... I WILL POINT ANOTHER THREAD AFTER A REPLY TO THIS ONE.... WHICH INSHALLAH WILL END THIS MANZ STUPIDITY AND UTTER FALSE KNOWLEDGE..... and inshallah ur heart brova will be at ease.... and if he duz carry on den on the day of judgement wen allah asks the man did no1 not warn u of the truth his lipz will never be able to say no..... becoz surely u my brova have warned him.

rm1054

Final Prophethood concludes all messengers-hoods

Assalamu Alaikum: This is my very humble understanding:

Allah-SWT has explained all the very basics or fundamentals in Quran (Ummul Kitab per 3:7) upon which faith is based. Only Allah-SWT know the allegorics/mutashabihaat per same verse 3:7.
Does it matter to debate whether Mohammed(Peace Be Upon His Soul), the Final Prophet and messenger (33:40), was a last messenger or not a last messenger? If one believes Quran as final message and believes that message is brought by final prophet Mohammed (PBUHS) and Mohammed(PBUHS) was the person to confirm that Final message as Final Word of Allah-SWT that is enough for a believer to believe.

SHAH01

brother i think u will find that...... in islam the aqeeda is to believe in one lord.... and he has no partners etc and that muhammed is the final prophet and messenger of allah..... if ne1 claims different from this then he or she is outside the fold of islam

Serafeddin

:salam2:, perhaps 44.3,44.4 should be read together to get the meaning of 44.5. When I read them, i understood as for that night when Quran was revealed and that night "we were sending a messenger". I don't understand Arabic but it was the translation of the verses.

wasalm

SHAH01

this is wat i sd..... 2 understand the meaning of the part u must read the entire chapter.... reason being this verse was revealed to a certain ppl at a certain time..... 2 those hu rejected the coming of our prophet to spread the message.....

SHAH01

my brother, more information for u on the NATION OF ISLAM!!
their god is not ALLAH their god is dead their god was FARD MUHAMMED (the man who started off the nation of islam.... he claimed he was bron in mecca and was god in the shape of a human.... bia nd fbi records show he is of mixed european and polynesian percentage and it is uncertain that he was born in New Zealand or in Portland, Oregon, of parents who came from Hawaii. A recent researcher believes that Dodd was a New Zealander of half-Indian descent... and both info comes from hardcore dna results.... and also the evidence of his dna prove he cud hav not of cum from the city of mecca or even born their and that his ancestors cud not hav even bn from their... otherwise his dna wudve showed him as arab decent. also fbi nd cia results show he is identical to a man named as Wallace Dodd Ford whom was aressted for drug offences, but mr fard rejected this and proclaimed his name to be FARD MUHAMMED). HE LIVED A LIFE AND HE DIED.... WAT AN SO CALLED AMAZING GOD HE WAS... CUDNT EVEN SAVE HIS OWN DEATH YET HE SO CALLS TO GIVE LIFE AND GIVE DEATH. this is sum light on the nations belief of fard muhammed whose student was elijah muhammed. i will give u more info on the entire nation if u wud like 2 know nefing more.... just reply... becoz this will help u to put forward sum things to this man!!!

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
And our Survey says..!

Salam,

In my humble opinion, the difference between Prophet and Messenger is clear. As the Qu'ran says, Muhammad PBUH was the final Prophet, revealing the truth clearly for all and confirming the law that came before him. A messenger is something different, and as the Qu'ranic verse says - "We are ever sending the messengers".

What is a messenger? It's a person who carries a message, not stipulating that the information was divinely revealed or that the person understands the whole picture. By this rationale I would say that every one of us who carries the message of Islam, from the child who knows only a couple verses of the Qu'ran to the most esteemed Imam, is indeed a messenger of God.

Don't let that get to your head, though, as some Islamic-like group leaders have. Messengers are flawed people, capable of making mistakes and misinterpreting what information they carry - unlike a Prophet, who has had a message revealed by God, carries and conveys that message, and is in perfect harmony with Allah's will and therefore incapable of making the sorts of mistakes that we messengers can.

That's my opinion. =) Of course I respect all of your opinions on this, too. May Allah give clarity to our hearts. I hope He's keeping you all in good health and happiness, InshaAllah. Take care.

Wasalam.

haris

Patience
Aslam o Alikum!

I agree with you brother. U can not judge Quran or any other book on just one verse or line. U have to see the whole thing in context .

This particular verse is from surah(chapter) Dukhan and the verse is 5 as the brother has already stated but if you see the earlier verse i.e. verse 3 it says

"Behold, from on high have We bestowed it on a blessed night: for, verily, We have always been warning [man]. "

Now consider an example

(If a friend of mine is doing something wrong and at the end he falls in trouble due to that wrong act and he comes to me to tells me that he is in trouble.
and e.g. I say to him "I have always warned you about this"

now this does not imply that I am talking about future. Clearly I am talking about the past that I warned him of the consequences of what he was doing.)

This verse is very much in the same manner Allah tells us that he has sent messengers and prophets in past but the prophet hood ends with prophet Mohammad(SAW). This testimony is also mentioned in Quran.

So be sure that there is no mistake or contradiction is Quran. just use ur head, see the things in context and try to answer people with Hikma(Intelligence) who raise such questions.

May ALLAH guides to the right path(Ameen)

Wsalam

haris

Patience
IMPORTANT !!!

Aslam O Alikum Brothers and Sisters!

I see that most of the replys from U people are regarding this point are in accordance to the understanding of a muslim. But what if a non-muslim sees this as a contradiction in Quran? So try and answer in a way that a non-muslim can also understand it.

Being a muslim I dont doubt Quran. But if a non-muslim asks us such a question we should be able to answer him/her accordingly.

I have tried to answer this but InshaAllah from ur answers I will be able to get a more commanding grip on the topic.

Thanx

Wsalam

SHAH01

LEAVIN MESSAGE

ASSLAMUALAIKUM,
i have left many comments and wud like 2 leave this debate by sayin the following...... dnt 4get..a prophet is a messenger of allah....
normally i wud go into detail but id jus be repeating myself.... read my comment of the difference between A PROPHET AND A MESSENGER.... nd i wud like ppl hu are stuk on this subject to study the difference on A PROPHET AND MESSENGER 2 UNDERSTAND...
muhammed (pbuh) is the seal of the prophets... he has closed the line of prophets and meaning he has also closed the line of messengers OF ALLAH.... though ppl like us who give dawwah become a messenger... but not a messenger in the context of how allah spkz of.... those messengers allah skz of are commanded by allah and are spoken to eitha by direct or a angel to spread a message and this was only dun 2 prophets... so no1 afta the prophet cud be a MESSENGER IN THE CONTEXT ALLAH SPKZ OF BUT CAN BE A MESSENGER IN THE SENSE OF HOW WE LEARN IN A NON-RELIGIOUS MEANING.
ASSALAMUALAIKUM

Durriyyah

Forever Student
:salam2:

The English translation I have (by 'Abudllah Yusuf 'Ali) of 44:5 says:

"By command, from Our presence. We (ever) send (revelations),"

It says revelations and not messengers. This is a very trust worthy translation so I'm wondering if I am the only one that has this translation. Maybe if it says in arabic "messengers" it is still talking about revelations in the form of dreams or something of that sort.

:wasalam:

Tahar

I agree with Whitefyre.

Arabic explanation:
" أمرا من عندنا " أي جميع ما يكون ويقدره الله تعالى وما يوحيه فبأمره وإذنه وعلمه " إنا كنا مرسلين" أي إلى الناس رسولا يتلو عليهم آيات الله مبينات فإن الحاجة كانت ماسة

Translation of the verse in English:
"By command, from Our Presence. For We (ever) send (revelations),"

The verse is about the message of Allah comprised within the holy Quran.

As you can see, these deviant groups (like the nation of Islam) leader's think they are miracles in themselves or revelations from God. In other words, they consider themselves prophets, and that's blasphemous. Unfortunately, many of their followers don't understand the true Islam, and it is our duty to explain it to them.

dexter

:salam2:

thanks to the all mighty God for his blessings, may his peace and blessings be upon prophet mohamed (pbuhaf)

The verse you delivered was mentioned from the Quran, it's a true verse, but don't forget it's a part of the Quran, something the ignorants would always try to misinterpret...

Here's something for all the believers to hold on to, I also suggest that each one of us send this reply to the submission.org website to accertain them of the noble Quran...

Lord the all mighty also mentioned in the Surah of Al Qadr,

Tatanazzalul Malaa'ikatu walRoohu Feeha bi'idhni Rabbihim Min Kulli Amrin...
Angels and Spirits decend down by the permission of the AllMighty Lord in each order and command

And also when God's massengers came down to Abraham (pbuhaf) they had informed him that they were "Rusul" from the All Mighty Lord, and they were sent for his brother LOT against his people...

So, angels and spirits are massengers too, massengers of God... So, each year ever since the day of the revelation of the Quran upto the days of the judgement, we'll have angels descending for many purposes, especially those of the Qadr's night.

Then we turn to the descending of Angels at the dawns and Maghribs, looking for people repenting from their sins, for people praying from their lord for mercy and his blessings...

Brothers and sisters hold fast with your religion, people of suspect are people of little knowledge, they are the ignorants and our lord and his prophet have ordered us to beat the opponent of ignorance with knowledge, anyone who would first go and guide the people of the submission.org with these phrases would get their rewards from the all mighty... we all should do that and show the strength of our faith in the One God and his final massenger...

:wasalam:

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum brother Brandon,

You posted the following in post #28 on this thread:

In my humble opinion, the difference between Prophet and Messenger is clear. As the Qu'ran says, Muhammad PBUH was the final Prophet, revealing the truth clearly for all and confirming the law that came before him. A messenger is something different, and as the Qu'ranic verse says - "We are ever sending the messengers".

What is a messenger? It's a person who carries a message, not stipulating that the information was divinely revealed or that the person understands the whole picture. By this rationale I would say that every one of us who carries the message of Islam, from the child who knows only a couple verses of the Qu'ran to the most esteemed Imam, is indeed a messenger of God.

Don't let that get to your head, though, as some Islamic-like group leaders have. Messengers are flawed people, capable of making mistakes and misinterpreting what information they carry - unlike a Prophet, who has had a message revealed by God, carries and conveys that message, and is in perfect harmony with Allah's will and therefore incapable of making the sorts of mistakes that we messengers can.

That's my opinion. =) Of course I respect all of your opinions on this, too. May Allah give clarity to our hearts. I hope He's keeping you all in good health and happiness, InshaAllah. Take care.

I respectfully disagree. In fact, what you're saying is a grave error.

There are many verses in the Qur'an that state the certain individuals were both Prophets and Messengers at the same time [peace be upon them all]:

Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but he is the Messenger of Allâh and the last (end) of the Prophets. And Allâh is Ever All-Aware of everything.

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 33:40]

And mention in the Book (this Qur’ân) Mûsâ (Moses). Verily he was chosen and he was a Messenger (and) a Prophet.

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 19:51]

And mention in the Book (the Qur’ân) Ismâ‘îl (Ishmael). Verily he was true to what he promised, and he was a Messenger, (and) a Prophet.

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 19:54]

Then she pointed to him. They said: "How can we talk to one who is a child in the cradle?" He [‘Îsâ (Jesus)] said: "Verily I am a slave of Allâh, He has given me the Scripture and made me a Prophet; And He has made me blessed wheresoever I be, and has enjoined on me Salât (prayer), and Zakât, as long as I live. And dutiful to my mother, and made me not arrogant, unblest. And Salâm (peace) be upon me the day I was born, and the day I die, and the day I shall be raised alive!" Such is ‘Îsâ (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary). (It is) a statement of truth, about which they doubt (or dispute).

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 19:29-34]

At same time, Jesus Christ [peace beupon him] was also mentioned as a Messenger:

And (remember) when ‘Îsâ (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), said: "O Children of Israel! I am the Messenger of Allâh unto you, confirming the Taurât [(Torah) which came] before me, and giving glad tidings of a Messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Ahmad.

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 61:6]

And as such, it is a grave error to say things like "What is a messenger? It's a person who carries a message, not stipulating that the information was divinely revealed or that the person understands the whole picture" and "Messengers are flawed people, capable of making mistakes and misinterpreting what information they carry".

The following is the religious opinion [fatwa] of Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid. It was his answer to question no. 5455 [What is the difference between a Prophet and a Messenger?]:

Question:
I wonder what is the difference between Nabi (prophet) and Rasul (messenger)?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

There are a number of views on this issue, one of which is that of Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him):

“A Prophet (Nabi) is one to whom Allaah reveals (yanbi’uhu) something, and he passes on what Allaah has reveals to him. If he is sent with that to those who go against the commandments of Allaah, to convey a message from Allaah to them, then he is a Messenger. But if he follows a sharee’ah that came before him, and is not himself sent to anyone to convey the message from Allaah to them, then he is a Prophet and not a Messenger…” (al-Nubuwwaat, p. 255). Other scholars add different details, but these are the most important of them. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Source: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=5455&ln=eng

The following is the religious opinion [fatwa] of Shaykh ‘Abd al-Rahmaan al-Barraak. It's his answer to question no. 11725 [The difference between a Messenger and a Prophet]:

Question:
Reference to Holy Qur`an 33:40
........; he was a messenger of God and the last prophet.
- What is the difference between messenger and prophet?
-Why A messnger and not the LAST messenger?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The well-known difference between a Prophet and a Messenger is that a Messenger is one to whom a law is revealed and he is commanded to convey it, whilst a Prophet is one to whom a law is revealed but he is not commanded to convey it. But this distinction is not free of problems, because a Prophet is also commanded to call people, convey the Message and judge among the people. Hence Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said: The correct view is that the Messenger is one who is sent to a disbelieving people, and the Prophet is one who is sent to a believing people with the sharee’ah of the Messenger who came before him, to teach them and judge between them, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, We did send down the Tawraat (Torah) [to Moosa (Moses)], therein was guidance and light, by which the Prophets, who submitted themselves to Allaah’s Will, judged for the Jews”

[al-Maa’idah 5:44]

So the Prophets of the Children of Israel judged by the Tawraat which Allaah had revealed to Moosa.

With regard to the aayah,

“but he is the Messenger of Allaah and the last (end) of the Prophets” [al-Ahzaab 33:40]

and why it did not say the last of the Messengers – the end of the Message does not mean the end of Prophethood, but the end of Prophethood does mean the end of the Message. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There will be no Prophet after me,” and he did not say, there will be no Messenger after me.

Thus we know that there is no Messenger and no Prophet after him (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him); he was the last of the Prophets and of the Messengers, (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Rahmaan al-Barraak

Source: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=11725&ln=eng

And therefore, every Messenger is a Prophet, but not every Prophet is a Messenger.

The following is the religious opinion [fatwa] posted on the website supervised by Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al- Munajjid. It's an answer to question no. 42216 [The infallibility of the Prophets]. Take special note of the words I colour red:

Question:
I would like to ask a question about ‘aqeedah. Is it part of our ‘aqeedah to believe that the Prophets committed sins and were not infallible?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

The Prophets are the best of mankind, and the most noble of creation before Allaah. Allaah chose them to convey the call of Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah to mankind, and Allaah has made them the intermediaries between Him and His creation in conveying His Laws. They were commanded to convey the message from Allaah, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“They are those whom We gave the Book, Al‑Hukm (understanding of the religious laws), and Prophethood. But if these disbelieve therein (the Book, Al‑Hukm and Prophethood), then, indeed We have entrusted it to a people (such as the Companions of Prophet Muhammad) who are not disbelievers therein”
[al-An’aam 6:89]

The Prophets’ task was to convey the message from Allaah even though they were human, hence the issue of infallibility may be examined from two angles:

1 – Infallibility in conveying the message

2 – Infallibility from human error

Firstly: With regard to the first issue, the Prophets were infallible in conveying the message from Allaah. They did not conceal anything that Allaah had revealed to them, and they did not add anything from themselves. Allaah said to His Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) (interpretation of the meaning):

“O Messenger (Muhammad)! Proclaim (the Message) which has been sent down to you from your Lord. And if you do not, then you have not conveyed His Message. Allaah will protect you from mankind”
[al-Maa'idah 5:67]

“And if he (Muhammad) had forged a false saying concerning Us (Allaah),

We surely would have seized him by his right hand (or with power and might),

And then We certainly would have cut off his life artery (aorta),

And none of you could have withheld Us from (punishing) him”

[al-Haaqqah 69:44-47]

And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And he (Muhammad) withholds not a knowledge of the Unseen”

[al-Takweer 81:24]

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his commentary on this verse: He is not stingy with that which Allaah has revealed to him, concealing some of it. Rather he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) the most trustworthy of the inhabitants of heaven and the people of earth, the one who conveys the message of his Lord, the faithful conveyor (of the message). He does not withhold any part of it, from rich or poor, from ruler or subject, from male or female, from city-dweller or Bedouin. Hence Allaah sent him to an illiterate and ignorant nation, and he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not die until they had become knowledgeable scholars, steeped in knowledge…

End quote.

So with regard to conveying the religion of his Lord, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not make any mistakes at all, whether major or minor, rather he was infallible and under the constant protection of Allaah.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Fataawa Ibn Baaz, 6/371:

All the Muslims are unanimously agreed that the Prophets (peace be upon them) – especially Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) – are infallible and protected from error in that which they conveyed from Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“By the star when it goes down (or vanishes).

Your companion (Muhammad) has neither gone astray nor has erred.

Nor does he speak of (his own) desire.

It is only a Revelation revealed.

He has been taught (this Qur’aan) by one mighty in power [Jibreel (Gabriel)]”

[al-Najm 53:1-5]

Our Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is infallible in all that he conveyed from Allaah, in word and deed and in what he approved of. There is no dispute on this point among the scholars.

End quote.

The ummah is agreed that the Messengers are infallible in their conveying the message. They did not forget anything that Allaah revealed to them, except for things that were abrogated. And Allaah guaranteed His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that he would remember it and would not forget it, except for that which Allaah wanted him to forget, and He guaranteed to remember the whole Qur’aan in his heart. Allaah said (interpretation of the meaning):

“We shall make you to recite (the Qur’aan), so you (O Muhammad) shall not forget (it)”

[al-A’la 87:7]

“It is for Us to collect it and to give you (O Muhammad) the ability to recite it (the Qur’aan).

And when We have recited it to you [O Muhammad through Jibreel (Gabriel)], then follow its (the Qur’aan’s) recitation”

[al-Qiyaamah 75:17-18]

Shaykh al-Islam [Ibn Taymiyah] said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 18/7]:

The verses which point to the Prophethood of the Prophets indicate that they are infallible with regard to the message that they convey from Allaah, so what they convey from their Lord can only be true. This is the meaning of Prophethood and this implies [?] that Allaah tells [the Prophet] of the unseen and he tells the people of the unseen. So the Messenger is commanded to call people and to convey the message to them.

End quote.

Secondly: With regard to the Prophets as people, they may make mistakes. This may be discussed as follows:

1 –They do not commit major sins

With regard to major sins, the Prophets do not commit major sins at all, and they are protected from such major sins both before their missions began or afterwards.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 4/319:

The view that the Prophets are infallible and protected against committing major sins, as opposed to minor sins, is the view of the majority of Muslim scholars and of all groups. It is also the view of the scholars of tafseer and hadeeth and fuqaha’. Indeed, nothing has been narrated from any of the salaf, imams, Sahaabah, Taabi’een and those who followed them except that which is in accordance with this view.

End quote.

2 – Matters that have nothing to do with conveying the message and the revelation.

With regard to minor sins, these may be committed by them, or by some of them. Hence the majority of scholars are of the view that they are not infallible when it comes to minor sins. But if they committed such actions they were not left to persist therein, rather Allaah pointed that out to them and they hastened to repent therefrom.

The evidence that they might commit minor sins and that they were not left to persist therein is the verses in which Allaah says of Adam (interpretation of the meaning):

“Thus did Adam disobey his Lord, so he went astray.

Then his Lord chose him, and turned to him with forgiveness, and gave him guidance”
[Ta-Ha 20:121-122]

This indicates that Adam committed sin, but he was not left to persist therein, and he repented to Allaah from that.

“He said: ‘This is of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) doing, verily, he is a plain misleading enemy.’

He said: ‘My Lord! Verily, I have wronged myself, so forgive me.’ Then He forgave him. Verily, He is the Oft‑Forgiving, the Most Merciful”

[al-Qasas 28:15-16]

So Moosa (peace be upon him) confessed his sin and sought forgiveness from Allaah after he killed the Egyptian, and Allaah forgave him his sin.

“and he [Dawood] sought forgiveness of his Lord, and he fell down prostrate and turned (to Allaah) in repentance.

So We forgave him that, and verily, for him is a near access to Us, and a good place of (final) return (Paradise)”

[Saad 38:23-24]

Dawood’s sin was hastening to pass judgement before hearing the case of the second disputant.

And our Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was rebuked by his Lord for several things that are mentioned in the Qur’aan, such as the following (interpretation of the meaning):

“O Prophet! Why do you forbid (for yourself) that which Allaah has allowed to you, seeking to please your wives? And Allaah is Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”
[al-Tahreem 66:1]

This refers to the well-known story with some of his wives.

Allaah also rebuked His Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) concerning the prisoners of war at Badr:

Muslim narrated in his Saheeh (4588) that Ibn ‘Abbaas said: When the prisoners were taken captive, the Messenger of Allaah (S) (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to Abu Bakr and ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them): “What do you think about these prisoners?” Abu Bakr said: “O Prophet of Allaah, they are our cousins and kinsmen. I think that we should accept a ransom from them which will give us some support against the kuffaar, and perhaps Allaah will guide them to Islam.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “What do you think, O Ibn al-Khattaab?” He said: “I say, no, by Allaah, O Messenger of Allaah. I do not agree with Abu Bakr. I think that you should hand them over to us so that we may strike their necks (execute them). Hand over ‘Aqeel to ‘Ali so that he may strike his neck, and hand over So and so – a relative of ‘Umar – to me, for these are the leaders and veterans of kufr.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) liked what Abu Bakr said and he did not like what I [‘Umar] said. The next day I came and found the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and Abu Bakr weeping. I said: “O Messenger of Allaah, tell me, what has made you and your companion weep? If there is a reason to weep, I will weep with you, and there is no reason, I will pretend to weep in sympathy with you because you are weeping.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I am weeping because I was shown the torture to which they were subjected. It was brought as close to me as this tree” – a tree which was near the Prophet of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) – then Allaah revealed the words (interpretation of the meaning):

“It is not for a Prophet that he should have prisoners of war (and free them with ransom) until he had made a great slaughter (among his enemies) in the land. You desire the good of this world (i.e. the money of ransom for freeing the captives), but Allaah desires (for you) the Hereafter. And Allaah is All-Mighty, All-Wise.

Were it not a previous ordainment from Allaah, a severe torment would have touched you for what you took.

So enjoy what you have gotten of booty in war, lawful and good”

[al-Anfaal 8:67-69]

So Allaah permitted booty to them.

From this hadeeth it is clear that when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) chose to ransom the prisoners, this was a decision that he made by ijtihaad after consulting his companions, and he had no revelation from Allaah concerning that.

The words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning):

“(The Prophet) frowned and turned away.

Because there came to him the blind man (i.e. ‘Abdullaah bin Umm Maktoom, who came to the Prophet while he was preaching to one or some of the Quraysh chiefs)”

[‘Abasa 80:1-2]

This is the famous story of the great companion ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Umm Maktoom and the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), when Allaah rebuked him.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 4/320:

What has been narrated from the majority of scholars is that they (the Prophets) are not infallible with regard to minor sins, but they are not left to persist therein. They do not say that this does not happen under any circumstances. The first group from whom it was narrated that they are infallible in all cases, and who say that the most, are the Raafidis (Shi’ah), who say that they are infallible and protected even against forgetfulness and misunderstanding.

End quote.

Some people think this is too much to suggest that Prophets may commit sin, and misinterpret some of the texts of the Qur’aan and Sunnah which indicate that. Two specious arguments lead them to do that:

(i) – The fact that Allaah has commanded us to follow the Messengers and take them as our example. The command to follow them is taken as meaning that everything they did is an example for us to follow, and that every action and belief of theirs is an act of worship. If we suggest that that the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) committed a sin, there will be a dilemma, because that implies that we are commanded to imitate this sin which was committed by the Prophet because we are commanded to follow his example, but at the same time we should no agree with it or do it, because it is a sin.

This argument is valid and is appropriate if the sin is hidden and not obvious in such a way that it could be confused with acts of obedience. But Allaah has explained to His Messengers where they went wrong and enabled them to repent without delay.

(ii) – Sins contradict perfection and are a shortcoming. This is true if they are not accompanied by repentance, for repentance brings forgiveness of sin, and does not contradict perfection or bring blame upon a person. Rather in many cases a person may be better after repenting than he was before he fell into sin. It is well known that no Prophet committed sin but he hastened to repent and seek forgiveness. The Prophets did not persist in sin or delay repentance, for Allaah protected them from that, and after repenting they became more perfect than they were before.

3 – Unintentional mistakes with regard to some worldly matters

With regard to mistakes in some worldly matters, it is permissible for them to make such mistakes although their reason is sound and their insight is strong. This happened to several of the Prophets including our Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). This happened with regard to various spheres of life such as medicine, agriculture, etc.

Muslim narrated in his Saheeh (6127) that Raafi’ ibn Khadeej said: The Prophet of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came to Madeenah and found them pollinating the palm trees. He said: “What are you doing?” They said: “We always do this.” He said: “Perhaps if you do not do it, that will be better.” So they did not do it, and the harvest failed. They told him about that and he said: “I am only human. If I tell you to do something with regard to your religion, then do it, but if I tell you to do something based on my own opinion, then I am only human.” Hence it is known that the Prophets are infallible and protected from error with regard to the Revelation, so we should beware of those who cast aspersions upon the Messenger’s conveying of the Message and his laws, and say that it is his own personal opinion. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) could never do such a thing. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Nor does he speak of (his own) desire.

It is only a Revelation revealed”

[al-Najm 53:3-4]

The Standing Committee was asked: Do the Prophets and Messengers make mistakes?

They replied:

Yes, they make mistakes but Allaah does not let them persist in their mistakes, rather he points out their mistakes to them as a mercy to them and their nations, and He forgives them for their mistakes, and accepts their repentance by His Grace and Mercy, for Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful, as will be clear to anyone who studies the verses of the Qur’aan which speak of that.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 3/194

For more information see question no. 7208

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Source: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=42216&ln=eng

You'll notice that the phrases "Prophets" and "Messengers" were both used in this context. Whether a Messenger [who's also a Prophet] or just a Prophet, they were all infallible in the sense mentioned in the above fatwa.

I hope you all the best brother Brandon,

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

Status
Not open for further replies.