Is it allowed to eat.....

umm hussain

Asalam alaikum warahmatullah

Whilst standing. I have heard that one should not drink whilst standing because the Shaytaan will drink with you. I would just like to know is it allowed to eat whilst standing because for some reason I think someone told me it is not allowed but I need the evidence.

Can anyone help?

Sahih Muslim Hadith 5022, narrated by AbuHurayrah
Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: None of you should drink while standing; and if anyone forgets, he must vomit.

Sahih Bukhari V7 Hadith 520, narrated by An Nazzal bin Sabra
'Ali offered the Zuhr prayer and then sat down in the wide courtyard (of the Mosque) of Kufa in order to deal with the affairs of the people till the 'Asr prayer became due. Then water was brought to him and he drank of it, washed his face, hands, head and feet. Then he stood up and drank the remaining water while he was standing. and said, "Some people dislike to drink water while standing though the Prophet did as I have just done."

Obviously, it is BETTER to drink while sitting down, but it's not HARAM to drink while standing.It is disliked to eat or drink on the street. It is [somewhat] disliked to eat standing or walking, while it is not wrong to drink standing .However, one should not drink while walking, though it has been allowed for travelers.

Amr ibn Shu’aib radiyallahu anhu relates from his father, and he from his (Amr’s) grandfather, that he said, “I had seen Rasoolullah sallallahu alaihe wasallam drinking water whilst standing and also whilst sitting.”

Commentary
There are many narrations mentioned wherein Sayyidina Rasoolullah sallallahu alaihe wasallam prohibited the drinking of water whilst standing. A narration of Sayyidina Abu Hurairah radiyallahu anhu is mentioned in Sahih Muslim that Sayyidina Rasoolullah sallallahu alaihe wasallam said, “No person should stand and drink water, and if one forgetfully stood and drank it, it should be vomited out.” Some ulama have summed both the deed and the prohibition in a few ways. Some ulama are of the opinion that the prohibition came later and repeals the previous law. Some ulama hold the opposite view that the narrations where he stood and drank water repeals the one that prohibits it. According to a well-known saying, the prohibition is not that of a Shar’ee or unlawful nature, but as an etiquette. It is also a blessing and kindness. Ibn Qayyim and others have mentioned the harm that standing and drinking causes. In short, Sayyidina Rasoolullah sallallahu alaihe wasallam standing and drinking shows it being permissible to do so, and that it is not haraam to stand and drink water. It is best not do so, as this is against the recommended practice and one will be committing a makrooh act by doing so.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
:salam2:

There are sound Hadith that tell Muslims not to eat or drink while standing. Muslim reported from Anas Ibn Malik that he said: "The Prophet told (Muslims) not to drink while standing up". When Anas was asked about eating while standing up he replied by saying: "that is much worse".

There are also other sound Hadith that prove the lawfulness of drinking and eating while standing up. Al Bukhari reported that Ali came to the gate of the courtyard (of the Mosque) and drank (water) while he was standing and said, "Some people dislike to drink while standing, but I saw the Prophet doing (drinking water) as you have seen me doing now."

Al Tirmizi reported in a sound Hadith from Ibn Omar that he said: "We used to eat, during the era of the Prophet, while walking and we used to drink while standing up".

The scholars have different opinions about this issue. The most sound one is that whoever eats or drinks while standing up does not commit a sin but it is preferable to avoid doing so.

Allah knows best.

:salam2:

aishajor

Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: None of you should drink while standing; and if anyone forgets, he must vomit.

this hadith isn't authentic

khairulUmmam

must vomit?? hmm... isnt that a waste? as i noe drinking is ok,but not eat...we must seat when eat,but im positive must sit to eat.. waAllahua'lam

it would be nice sister if u could show some commentaries of eminent muhaddiths about the authencity of this hadiths and about last part of the hadiths.

Ibn_Syena

Peace...

As Salamu Alekum sister

If this Hadith is in "Sahih Muslim" then it SHOULD be authentic, as the word SAHIH itself means AUTHENTIC :):) but actually I didn't come across it before, so I'm not sure it's in there, anyways I'll do some search and tell you later in chaa' Allah

Till then, here's a fatwa concerning that issue:

Ruling on drinking whilst standing​

Question:
I have read some ahaadeeth which say that it is forbidden to drink whilst standing. Does this mean that drinking whilst standing is prohibited?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.
There are ahaadeeth which say that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade drinking whilst standing. For example, Muslim (2024, 2025) narrated from Anas and Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade drinking whilst standing.
But there are other ahaadeeth which say that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) drank whilst standing, such as the following:
Al-Bukhaari (1637) and Muslim (2027) narrated that Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I brought water to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) from Zamzam and he drank whilst standing.
Al-Bukhaari (5615) narrated from ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he drank whilst standing then he said: Some people say it is makrooh for one of you to drink whilst standing, but I saw the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) doing what you have seen me do.
Ahmad (797) narrated that ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with him) drank whilst standing, and the people looked at him as if they objected to that. He said: “What are you looking at? If I drink whilst standing, I saw the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) drink whilst standing, and if I drink sitting, I saw the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) drink whilst sitting.” Ahmad Shaakir said in Tahqeeq al-Musnad: its isnaad is saheeh.
Al-Tirmidhi (1881) narrated that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “We used to eat at the time of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) whilst walking, and we used to drink whilst standing.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.
The scholars reconciled these hadeeth by stating that the forbidding mentioned here does not mean that it is haraam, rather it is to be understood as advice, and that it is better to drink whilst sitting. The ahaadeeth which describe the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) drinking whilst standing indicate that it is permissible to do that.
Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
There is no contradiction in these ahaadeeth, praise be to Allaah, and none of them are da’eef (weak). Rather they are all saheeh. The correct view is that the forbidding mentioned in them is to be understood as meaning that it is disliked. The fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) drank whilst standing indicates that it is permissible to do so. This is all that needs to be said on the matter.
If it is asked: How come it is makrooh to drink whilst standing when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did that?
The answer is that if what he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did was to show that it is permissible, then it is not makrooh, rather he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was obliged to show and explain that, so how can it be makrooh? It is proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did wudoo’ washing each part only once, and that he circumambulated the Ka’bah (i.e., did tawaaf) riding a camel – even though there is scholarly consensus that it is better to do wudoo’ washing each part three times and that it is better to do tawaaf walking. There are many similar examples. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was demonstrating that something is permissible one time or many times, but he persisted in following the better option. So usually when he did wudoo’ he washed each part three times, and he usually did tawaaf walking, and he usually drank whilst sitting. This is clear and is not confusing to anyone who has the slightest claim to knowledge. And Allaah knows best.
This reconciliation between the ahaadeeth was suggested by al-Khattaabi, Ibn Battaal, al-Tabari and others.
Al-Haafiz said in Fath al-Baari:
This is the best and soundest explanation, and the farthest removed from contradiction.
It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (22/133):
The basic ruling is that one should drink whilst sitting, which is better, but one may drink whilst standing. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did both to demonstrate that there is a lot of room for manoeuvre in this matter.

</SPAN>Islam Q&A
http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=21147&ln=eng&txt=الشرب

Ibn_Syena

Peace...
As Salamu Alekum

I checked it and it's true authentic Hadith that's present in Sahih Muslim under the number 2026

Jazakum Allahu Khyran