Help with 'Al-Nas'?

Inquirer

Assalamu alaikum,

I have got over feeling any confusion and awkwardness when it comes to prayer, and I am feeling like I am starting to make that connection with Allah, and my confidence is building in my routine all the time.

I find this hard to explain so bear with me.

In salaat, I like to recite in Arabic, in which no doubt my pronunciation may leave a lot to be desired, but I try, and feel I'm doing my best, with sincerity of intention, which is the main thing. After I have recited anything in salaat in Arabic, I immediately follow this up by reciting the same thing again in English, as I feel that I am respecting Allah in this way, in that if my Arabic pronunciation is off, I have somehow amended for it by offering up my prayers in the language I understand perfectly, so in this way, He can see that I am trying with the Arabic, but then seeking to respect Him by also by making a perfect pronunciation of the same thing in the language I know very well.

Now, the only thing that I do not try to recite in Arabic, is the second surah after the recital of Al-Fatiha, and for the time being, I always choose the same surah for salaat, and this is An-Nas, the last surah of the Quran. I like this because, Al-Fatiha is the first surah and An-Nas is the last, and the whole Quran is contained between these two surahs, and there is just something about this that I like. I also very much like the words of An-Nas, because it is about taking refuge in Allah, and making it very clear to Shaytan that he is not welcome in my life, my home or my heart, which is important to me as I am still a very recent revert and still have a few niggling demons to slay.

I can find recitals of An-Nas in Arabic online, but what I really need is a line by line transliteration, so that the Arabic is spelled out in the Roman alphabet in the closest way possible to how in sounds, which I can then read alongside listening to a recital in Arabic, to give me a really clear understanding, like I did with Al-Fatiha, until I got used to it.

What I need is to see An-Nas written out in the Arabic like this, with Al-Fatiha:

Bismillahir-Ramanhir-Raheem =

In the name of Allah, most Gracious, most Merciful

Al-Hamdu Lil-lahi Rabbil-'Alameen =

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds...

...etc, etc.

Could anybody out there please transliterate these lines for me in Arabic, so that it is spelled out in the closest way to how it sounds in the Roman alphabet? This would be a really great help to me when I listen to a recital of An-Nas in Arabic, and then I can start trying with the Arabic with this Surah as well, as this is the only thing that I am reciting in English alone in salaat.

------

I seek refuge in the Lord and Cherisher of Mankind,

The King of Mankind,

The Judge of Mankind,

From the mischief of the Whisperer who withdraws -

who whispers into the hearts of mankind

Among Jinns and among Men.

-----

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help, it would be a huge help. :)

Al-Salam

Your Sister In Islam
salam.

Bismi Lahi Rahmani Raheem
Alhamdoullillahi rabi'll alameen, arahmani raheem. Maliki jaumil deen. Ijaka na'boudou wa ijaaka nasta-iin. Ihdina seraata al mostakeem, seraata ladina an-amta alaihim, gheiril maghdoubil alaihim, wala daa leen, ameen. sadaka Allaho al Adeem.

I hoop it was what you meant brother.
salam.

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
AL-naf

:salam2 in the name Allah,the most merciful the graciouse. qul a`ud birabi nas(1) maliki nas(2) ilahi nas(3)Minshari was wasil khanas(4) aladi yuwas wisu fi suduri nas(5) minal jinati wa nas(6):wasalam::salah:

Bismi Lahi Rahmani Raheem
Alhamdoullillahi rabi'll alameen, arahmani raheem. Maliki jaumil deen. Ijaka na'boudou wa ijaaka nasta-iin. Ihdina seraata al mostakeem, seraata ladina an-amta alaihim, gheiril maghdoubil alaihim, wala daa leen, ameen. sadaka Allaho al Adeem.

I hoop it was what you meant brother.
salam.
Some corrections akhi from ur post.
BismiL LahiR RahmaniR Raheem
Alhamdoullillahi rabi'll alameen, arRahmaniR raheem. Maliki yaumiD deen. Iyyaka na'boudou wa iyyaaka nasta-iin. Ihdinas seraatal mustaQeem, seraatal ladina an-amta alaihim, gheiril maghdoubi alaihim, walad daa leen, ameen.

:salam2 in the name Allah,the most merciful the graciouse. qul a`ud birabi nas(1) maliki nas(2) ilahi nas(3)Minshari was wasil khanas(4) aladi yuwas wisu fi suduri nas(5) minal jinati wa nas(6):wasalam::salah:

some corrections sister from the post.

. qul a`udu birabin nas(1) malikin nas(2) ilahin nas(3)Min sharril was wasil khannas(4) al ladi yuwas wisu fi sudurin nas(5) minal jinnati wan nas(6)

Ibn_Syena

Peace...
As Salamu Alekum dear brother :)

Well, just to start, it's surat An-Nas, and not Al-Naf :):)
Anyways, here's what you'r asking for:
(I used the help of both sister Zaynab and brother Junaid to make this form, may Allah reward them with the best)

I seek refuge in the Lord and Cherisher of Mankind,

Qul a'udu birabbin nas

The King of Mankind,

Malekin nas

The Judge of Mankind,

Ilahin nas

From the mischief of the Whisperer who withdraws -

Minshary ilwaswasil khannas

who whispers into the hearts of mankind

Alladi yuwes-wissu fi sudurin nas

Among Jinns and among Men

Minal jinnati wan nas

hambaAllah

Hope my suggestion be of help, brother

:bismillah:
:salam2:

IN my humble opinion. brother .this software, which is foc.. could help you tremendously.. you could listen,, see and memorised whatever suras you like. either verse by verse or the whole suras....you could access it offline too and maybe make recording of it...although silly me dont know how to sort of 'burn" it..

http://www.imaanstar.com/juz30.php

First you need to download the software , juz30 2.2 (main program) then you unzipped it...after that you download the juz 30 (78 -114) pick the recitors you like, 3 choices of either Sheikh Mishary Rashed Alafasy, Mahmood Khaleel Al-Husaree or Abdullah Bafsar. Once successfully downloaded you need to open it and tada you got yourself a good software for memorising that comes with the arabic alphabets,, transliteration and translations too...Hopefully you dont encounter any problems, do pm me if you require assistant

:salah::tti_sister:May Allah Subhanna wa Ta'aala makes it easy for us,, his humble slaves,, to learn the Holy Quran and arabic too...Ameen Ya Rabbal Alameen

:wasalam::hijabi:

amjaddamen

brother

:salam2:
dear brother
you may know that who recite qur'an with difficulty in pronunciation
has doubeld reward , may allah bless you all

abou haytam

Equivalent to one-thrid of qu'raan

Salam O alikom

I was absent for a while, your post bring me again to share with you this information which usuful incha allah for you and all my brothers and sisters :

Al-Bukhaari (6643) narrated from Abu Sa’eed that a man heard another man reciting Qul Huwa Allaahu Ahad and repeating it. The next morning he came to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and told him about that. The man thought that it was too little, but the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “By the One in Whose hand is my soul, it is equivalent to one-third of the Qur’aan.”

Muslim (811) narrated from Abu’l-Dardaa’ that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Is any one of you unable to recite one-third of the Qur’aan in one night?” They said, “How could anyone read one-third of the Qur’aan?” He said, “Qul Huwa Allaahu Ahad is equivalent to one-third of the Qur’aan.”

Muslim (812) narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Gather together, for I will recite to you one-third of the Qur’aan.” So those who could gather together gathered there, then the Prophet of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came out and recited Qul Huwa Allaahu Ahad, then he went in. They said to one another, Perhaps there has been some news from heaven on account of which he has gone inside (the house). Then the Prophet of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came out and said, “I told you that I was going to recite to you one-third of the Qur’aan. Verily it is equivalent to one-third of the Qur’aan.”

the chaptier or sura that is equivalent to one-third of Qur'aan is :Al-Ikhlas ( chapter 112)

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

Say: He is Allah, the One! (1) Allah, the eternally Besought of all! (2) He begetteth not nor was begotten. (3) And there is none comparable unto Him. (4)

Say: He is Allah, the One! (1) = Kul-Hwa Allaho Ahad

Allah, the eternally Besought of all! (2) = Allaho As-samad

He begetteth not nor was begotten. (3) = Lam Yalid Walam Youlad

And there is none comparable unto Him. (4) = Wa Lam Yakon Laho Kofu'an Ahad.

those Four verses are equivalent in reward to one-third of Qu'raan.

check this link for more information :

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=10022&ln=eng&txt=ثلث القرآن

May allah bless you and accept your prayers.

PS: don t forget me in your prayers.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Assalaamu'Alykum,

May Allah make it easy for you in memorising the Qur'an. Aameen.

First i would just to like to say is persevere and Insha'Allah you will have Juz Amma (Surah 78 - 114) memorised.

There is a couple online aids that you can use that will Insh'Allah help:

http://transliteration.org/quran/home.htm [I remember a Brother/Sister posting this link and i just remembered it, you can have a look on there, it looks good]

http://www.versebyversequran.com/ [You can downloa a single verse of a particular Surah, which makes it easier to memorise]

These are best viewed in Internet Explorer.

Alhamdulilah

Walaykum Salam

cmelbouzaidi

From my son's Sunday School book

An-Naas:
Bismillahi-r-Rahmaani-r-Raheem
Qul a-oothu bi-rabbin-naas
Malikin-naas
'Ilaahin-naas
Min-sharril-waswaasil-khannaas
'Allathii yuwaswisu fii suduurin-naas
Minal-jinnati wannaas

Also Al-Falaq:
Bismillahi-r-Rahmaani-r-Raheem
Qul 'a-oothu bi Rabbin Falaq
Mim sharri maa khalaq
Wa min sharri ghaasiqin 'ithaa waqab
Wa min sharrin-Naffaathaati fil-'uqad
Wa min sharri haasidin 'ithaa hasad.

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

here is a website for the pronunciation of The Holy Quran:

http://transliteration.org/quran/home.htm

Chose the type of translation from the list on the left, then you can start..

By the way: It is permitted to ONLY read quran in arabic while praying, you cant read it in english or any other language while praying.

Al-Salam

Your Sister In Islam
Some corrections akhi from ur post.
Alhamdoullillahi rabi'll alameen, arRahmaniR raheem. Maliki yaumiD deen. Iyyaka na'boudou wa iyyaaka nasta-iin. Ihdinas seraatal mustaQeem, seraatal ladina an-amta alaihim, gheiril maghdoubi alaihim, walad daa leen, ameen.

salam o alaikoum im a sister by the way. thanks for the correction but i wanted to make it easier for the brother to pronounce.:shymuslima1:

salam.

nazir

Asalaamu Alaykum dear Peter,
First of all, apologies for the belated welcome back; i have been away from TTI, and was just surfing today and alhamdulillah was blessed to find you back. Regarding the transliteration, the brothers and sisters have given you ample renditions, however i advise, as has been advised before, to download the actual recitation of the surah and try to imitate it as best as possible, as the transliteration is sometimes incomplete. The example of this is when you find either 'th' or 'dh' in some transliterations, is hard to correspond to the actual sound which is supposed to be made.

Also, remember that the one who recites the Qur'an, and struggles in it, he recieves double the reward, so continue to try your best insha'Allah. The salah is to be done completely in arabic, so there is no need to follow up your recitation in English, although your intentions are well. When you recite a verse, maybe pause slightly to reflect in your mind the meaning insha'Allah. Also as had been recommended before, a good starting point to memorise another surah apart from Al Fatiha would be Surah 112, which has been narrated to be a third of the Qur'an, in that it summarises succinctly Tawheed, that which this deen is based upon.

May Allah make it easy for you, and expand your chest.
Remember us in your invocations to Allah.
Wassalaam

Inquirer

Assalamu alaikum all :SMILY259:,

Thanks to all of you who have come to offer me help with this. I was really pleased to see so much response, and I appreciate it. I’ll make a note of your usernames in a list to ask for blessings for each of you in dua. I have a good book all about dua, so I’ll see if I can find something nice.

Thank you also to the moderator out there who saved my embarrassment by adjusting my spelling mistake in the title, ‘Al-Naf’, instead of ‘-Nas’, haha, I don’t where I got that from, silly me.

Brother Ibn-Syena, that’s precisely what I was looking for, line by line, thank you. Thanks also to sister Zaynab and brother Junaid for helping me out.
I am puzzled by this:

I don’t understand why some letters are highlighted, what is the significance of this? On the program that sister Hamba showed me to download, I am noticing that the letters that are highlighted seem not to be pronounced. Could you give me some clarification on this?

I’m going to have to get some kind of audio pack to learn Arabic, and then I will be able to get an understanding these things.

Thanks for the download sister Hamba, that is a really good tool, I’m glad you showed it to me.

I am quite pleased actually, because when I listen to a recital of Al-Fatiha it seems that I am actually pronouncing it a lot better than I expected.

instead of al- naf don't you all mean an-naas, or suratu naas.

Indeed I did sister Palestine, silly me. :eek:

dear brother
you may know that who recite qur'an with difficulty in pronunciation
has doubeld reward , may allah bless you all

Well, this is a comfort and reminds one not to worry.

Brother Abou, thank you for the information regarding Al-Ikhlas. I am glad you drew my attention to this, if this surah is so powerful. It’s also good for me because it’s short and so will be easy to memorise, as I can only handle short surahs at this stage.

I appreciate the link as well, it seems like this site might be a really big help, and looks as if it might help me to come to understand what the highlighted letters means which brother Junaid showed me. See, I need to find out these things.

PS: don t forget me in your prayers.

I shall not. ;)

May Allah make it easy for you in memorising the Qur'an. Aameen.

First i would just to like to say is persevere and Insha'Allah you will have Juz Amma (Surah 78 - 114) memorised.

Thanks brother Ditta, the links that you gave me look like they could be very useful to me, especially the first, which I think might help me to understand things such as the significance of the highlighted letters that brother Junaid showed to me. This is something I need to become clear about, although it will come eventually, Inshallah.

I downloaded the surahs 78 - 144 on the Juz program that sister Hamba showed me, although these are the last surahs, they are short and so easiest to memorise. I know Al-Fatiha, but these are the ones I’ll get to grips with next. I really like An-Nas for some reason, I feel like I need the influence of that one in my life - it’s telling the devil to clear off, and I like that.

Sister Cmel, thanks for the quote from your son’s book. You know, I’m actually finding that resources aimed at children are quite useful. You see, I was just getting more and more confused when trying to learn a salaat routine on the internet, as from site to site you get differences in method, and Shia and Sufi sources to add to the confusion, as well as many sites aimed at more experienced practitioners seeking to elaborate on their current routine, and sites aimed at beginners still all differed, and I was getting very baffled. I ended up getting a book which I think is aimed at children, as the illustrations feature a boy of about ten, and this has been really useful to me, for it’s simplicity and concentration on the bare essentials. Since learning from that I have found that I am ready to elaborate on the routine, and have a better idea as to what is essential and what is additional when now looking at internet sites.

Thanks for link brother Bo, I think that will be very useful. I will be mindful of just using the Arabic from now on in fard prayers. I do the Arabic prior to English though, so I don’t not eliminate the Arabic all together, it was just with ‘The Mankind’ surah, but I have a good idea about that now. I’m not just swapping Arabic with English, as this of course wouldn’t help me to learn.

I will be mindful to stay just with the Arabic during prayer. I just need to learn some more short surahs and I'll be fine with this.

salam o alaikoum im a sister by the way. thanks for the correction but i wanted to make it easier for the brother to pronounce.

You did make it easier for me to pronounce sister ;), that’s what I needed at this stage, a transliteration of the way things sound, as I do not understand the linguistics of why certain letters are highlighted or placed in capitals yet, although I’m very intrigued.

Peace be upon you all, and the mercy and blessings of Allah. :SMILY126:

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Assalaamu'Alykum,

I was not sure whether to post this or not, but i think i should - the reason i was thinking not too is because its seems to benefit nobody. :(

Anyway, i was in the same position as you Brother in trying to memorise the short Surah's.

I couldn't read Arabic, so i got myself a Qur'an which had the Arabic, Transliteration and Translation and worked on memorising like this.

I thought it was going well and everything. I can't remember the key point but i think it was listening to Abdul Basit or someone reciting slowly that i felt there is a flaw in my recitation - i wasn't pronouncing the letters properly.

I had reached Surah 103 or 99, i can't remember exactly. So i knew that i needed to learn how to read Arabic. This didn't go well, i couldn't find any resources to learn from. I purchased a Tajweed Qur'an with Arabic, Transliteration and Translation.

It was excellent and helped me quite a bit.

This wasn't really learning Arabic but it helped me to make sure i was reading the Surah's correctly.

Then i stumbled upon "Graded Steps in Qur'an Reading" in a bookstore. I couldn't believe it, i had found something in which i could learn to read the Qur'an. The book came with a CD but the bookstore didn't have the CD - that really was a blow. I went to the publishers website and Alhamdulilah they had a pack in "Graded Steps in Qur'an Reading" which i purchased.

Then it continued from there and now Alhamdulilah i can read the Qur'an in Arabic.

The point of all this which you've probably have figured is that, i feel you should purchase this, learn how to read the Qur'an in Arabic because it will make it easier for you to memorise.

I understand you need to memorise a few Surah's to recite in Salah but it is important that you achieve this too. With Allah's help you will get there.

If you like i have a spare copy of the Teacher's Edition (best one to use) of the pack which i will post to you and send you the recorded Unit's online. In order to save you some money although if you want to purchase it yourself:

http://www.melspublications.com/courseset.asp?coursesetid=2

Well that's really it.

I don’t understand why some letters are highlighted, what is the significance of this? On the program that sister Hamba showed me to download, I am noticing that the letters that are highlighted seem not to be pronounced. Could you give me some clarification on this?

I’m going to have to get some kind of audio pack to learn Arabic, and then I will be able to get an understanding these things.

The letters are most likely highlighted because of the specific letter - it is pronounced differently compared to the other:

Ilaahin-naas

Like the Haa is pronounced from the back of the throat and sounds like the h in hat. It must always be breathed, even if it comes at the end of an utterance as in the word Allah. [You should know this description i took from the book mentioned earlier.]

Its difficult for me to explain, i am sure someone who is more knowledgeable could explain it better.

Just so you know, learning it is not difficult at all - Alhamdulilah i managed to do it, so it should be no problem for you brother as long you are self motivated and have the determination to succeed. Alhamdulilah i can see this in your posts.

I am sorry if this has messed things up for you, but it would be a crime for me not to mention it.

May Allah make it easy for you to increase your knowledge, help you to read the Qur'an in Arabic and memorise the whole Qur'an. Aameen.

EDIT:

I was reading the end of your post and feel a bit stupid now. Never the less, Insha'Allah it doesn't effect your plans.

Alhamdulilah

Walaykum Salam

hambaAllah

to further improves on your recitation

:bismillah:
salam2:

dear Brother,,, there a website at PALTALK that teaches brothers only to recite the Noble Quran with the right pronunciations and its tajweed rule...Maybe you could check it out,,, i was told that the medium of instructions is in arabic,, perhaps by visiting their room you could enquire if they have any lessons conducted in english.....i was recommended by a friend a class strictly for sisters and the 'muaalimah' speaks both english and arabic. Alhamdulillah....
The name of the room for brothers only at Paltalk is AL-SHATIBY QURAN

I am a born muslimah who was not serious about my deen , trying to learn to recite the quran on my own by listening to audio tapes. When the door of repentance was opened a second time, i took it and trying to relearn everything about my deen. I decided to go for a live one on one quran recitation lesson.. Lo and behold! was i in for a shock. I was so sad and depressed to find out that i have been mispronouncing certain alphabets and 'ayat' . Its harder for me to try to correct the errors/mistakes that i have committed for more than half a century of self study but :salah::tti_sister: :inshallah: May Allah Subhanna wa Ta'ala gives me the strength to perservere and keep on trying till the day i bite the dust ...Ameen Ya Rabbal Alameen. As you are just starting to learn,, so learn it the right way,, with proper guidance from a qualified 'live' teacher who could help you correct your pronunciations :)
Hope you dont think that i am trying to discourage you from doing some self studying of the Quran, but a one on one live teacher is the best guide to master the recitation of the Noble Quran with proper pronunciations and tajweed......an idea of what tajweed means check out this website
[B]www.tajweed.com[/B]. :salah::tti_sister: May Allah Subhanna wa Ta'ala makes it easy for us, his humble slaves,, who is trying hard to please him and guides us to the straight path....Ameen Ya Rabbal Alameen
A thousand apologies i beg of you kind sir,, if anything i've written offended you for it was not my intentions, indeed. :tti_sister:May the Almighty forgives me.

:wasalam::hijabi:

palestine

Servant of Allah
since we are discussing many things, there's a site where u can learn arabic: an-nahdah.org even quran classes just $39 a month. check it out sometime. it will help. and it's only on sundays and it's live. yes live, you can even see the teacher. salam.