My Questions Regarding ISLAM...

Satriani

I am looking into Islam, and am reading the Qu'ran, and it is making alot of sense. My only concerns/questions at this point, are as follows:

1. Is it true that you cannot listen to and/or play music? I have been playing Piano for years now, and I am rather good. I would indeed struggle having to give it up, as it is something I am very passionate about. I enjoy listening to music as well, as long as it is appropriate.

2. Are things like video games and movies outlawed completely? Under all circumstances? Even things such as sports games and family movies?

3. What are the Islamic rulings on things such as soda and caffienated drinks? I know that alcohol is strictly forbidden, which is good.

These are the only things I am pondering at the moment. So far, Islam has been able to answer many of the questions I have about life.

AdamMuslim

Besm Allah,
Assalamou Alikom Wrahmatou Allah my Brother,

Allah says:

"..Allâh intends for you ease, and He doeas not want to make things difficult for you..." Capter 2, the Cow (Al-Bakharah), verse 185.

"Allâh burdens not a person beyond his scope..." Capter 2, the Cow (Al-Bakharah), verse 286.

In Islam things came gradually. For exemple, Allah prohibited alcohol after a while from the beginning of Islam which is very logical since people does not like very abrupt changes.

In your case the priority is to become a muslim inchallah, then gradually you will notice by yourself that being a muslim does'nt fit with many of your previous practice.

My Allah guide you my brother,
Salam,

Al Qassimi

I am looking into Islam, and am reading the Qu'ran, and it is making alot of sense. My only concerns/questions at this point, are as follows:

1. Is it true that you cannot listen to and/or play music? I have been playing Piano for years now, and I am rather good. I would indeed struggle having to give it up, as it is something I am very passionate about. I enjoy listening to music as well, as long as it is appropriate.

2. Are things like video games and movies outlawed completely? Under all circumstances? Even things such as sports games and family movies?

3. What are the Islamic rulings on things such as soda and caffienated drinks? I know that alcohol is strictly forbidden, which is good.

These are the only things I am pondering at the moment. So far, Islam has been able to answer many of the questions I have about life.

Salam Aliekom(Peace be upon you)

Answers to your questions

1. Concerning Music, it is forbidden. It is pointed out in the Quran and Sunnah, for example:

“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah without knowledge, and takes it (the path of Allaah, or the Verses of the Qur’aan) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell‑fire)”

Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this aayah was revealed concerning singing and musical instruments (lit. woodwind instruments). (Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/451).

And you laugh at it and weep not,

Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)”

[al-Najm 53:59-61]

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91).
*Which I like to point out, that it is happening at the moment in this world

While about you playing piano, it will take time, you will struggle with it. The Hereafter is much more enjoyable then this world, if we only could see a second if it, we would not hesitate to stop what Allah has ordered us to do.

Not at ALL video games, movies, sports games and family movies are halal, EXPECT for those that have haram stuff in them. For example, south park and family guy, both teachs as to disrespect our parents and they draw Jesus(Peace be upon him) and disrespect him which is forbidden in Islam. Video games are alright again, only if they do not involve stuff that teach as to do fordbidden stuft. It goes with all the other things that has been asked here.

There is no evidence of these being haram at all. They are halal, however, Sunnah teachs as to be healthy.
*Myself is not innocent I love tea, but I do not drink soda

I hope these have answered your questions, if not do please post back to let me know if you need any furhter answering.

I do encourage you to furhter read the Quran, Sunnah, and learn more about Islam. And Inshallah, you will become a Muslim when you are 100% sure.

:wasalam:

AdamMuslim

Salam,
Dear Brother Al Quasimi,:SMILY259:
Did you ever heard about this hadith:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,arial]"Make things easy and convenient and do not make them harsh and difficult..." (Hadith reported by Bukhari and Muslim)

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Al Qassimi

Salam, true, but he had question that I had to answer. He wanted logic behind it, however, if I made stuff hard for him then I do apologize.

Bottlecap

I have a question if I may then about music, what about Yusuf Islam, (AKA Cat Stevens), I have his latest CD in my collection, "An Other cup" Is there times when it is okay for music?

Al Qassimi

The reason why Music is fordbidden because it puts the desire of this world in your heart. For example, if you listen to Hip Hop music, you have a desire of cars, women, and money.

I used to listen to Music in the past since I stopped listening to Music. I stopped thinking of this world, its desires, and stopped fantasying.

While about Yusuf Islam, I'm sorry I have no knowledge to your question. Inshallah someone of our brothers or sisters will answer it for you.

ohhockleng

Dear Joe Satriani ;) Music is indeed haram and sadly is that I'm a musician and I'll never ever say that music is not haram for it is, the thing is that I play music is out of desire. I wish in life it'll be the only sin that I've done.

Simple1

More on music

Salam. I think we need to explore more on music issues in terms of Islam. Because music has some basic power. I do not agree that music always draws us towards worldy attractions. There are some music that makes us happy, sad, couraged, motivated and also prepares our mind for better sacrifices. In the fights during our Prophet (SAWS) there were the practices of making sounds of beating drums. Some islamic TVs now a days are showing good islamic songs with good music. But there are musics that can clearly be identified as not acceptable due to its characteristics of indulging one in matirialistic attractions and sins. Those should be avoided. So i dont think sister Satriani needs to be worried for the music right now, however, you should be careful of the type of music you will be playing. I would like to urge all those who are expert in the areas of music to produce good tunes in response to the trashes that the western music is producing. Allah Hafez.

Boomerang

Salam,

Interesting question and discussion. Perhaps brother Al Qassimi, could give details of the surah and verse he referred to here "
“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah without knowledge, and takes it (the path of Allaah, or the Verses of the Qur’aan) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell‑fire)”
I am interested to know about the words in the brackets ().....Is this something you have added in, Brother? I also would have thought that video games, regardless of how "mild' they are, would be considered to mislead from the path of Allah. It doesnt seem right that video games can be halaal, but music cannot be. I have yet to see a video game that didnt have some irritating music to go along with it ;)

May God bless you all

Kylie

Satriani

I thank you all for your replies. I am saddened to hear that music is forbidden, as I've always felt a connection to God when I play; it's as if it flows through me. However, I am also glad to see more than one opinion on the matter.

I am still examining Islam, and the more I think about it, the more it seems 'right' for me. This will definetly be an interesting journey.

Once again I thank you all.

Yousuf.

:salam2:
Logically, as we are Muslims, we should give more emphasis on the hereafter. So whatever we do, we must always think of the hereafter.

If someone loves to sing, wouldn't it be better if he channel his voice to glorifying Allah and read the Qur'an instead? Wouldn't that be beneficial in the hereafter?

If someone enjoys listening to music, wouldn't it be better if he listens to Qur'anic recitations instead?

"And when the Qur'an is recited, give ear to it and pay heed, that ye may obtain mercy." 7:204

InsyaAllah hu Aminin.

cmelbouzaidi

Dear Satriani, I think one of the brothers mentioned that at the time when Islam was first rolling out, if you will, things were forbidden in a gradual process. One first has to fill their heart with deen (religion) and iman (faith) and submit to the will of God (i.e. be a Muslim) and then things will seem easier on you. I have been a Muslim for 17 years now and listening to music in general is one of my weaknesses. I am trying more to listen to Islamic music only
but I do have a vice of listening to music that has nothing to do with religion and because I am a mature member of TTI (at 38...lol) this music does not affect my behaviour or lifestyle but I should not really turn it on and be more focused on worshipping Allah and focused on the Hereafter. It is a reminder to me that I need to improve in this aspect and I thank you for bringing this up.
As for music, I am not familiar with the official rules, but my husband tells me a certain type of drum that is open at the bottom is okay (i.e. in music of Native Deen) and also singing with no instruments, singing of Islamic themes, is okay also (as Yusuf Islam). I think this is called Nasheed. I hope you will continue your quest towards understanding Islam and one day be part of our Muslim community, Insha Allah.

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
Logically, as we are Muslims, we should give more emphasis on the hereafter. So whatever we do, we must always think of the hereafter.

If someone loves to sing, wouldn't it be better if he channel his voice to glorifying Allah and read the Qur'an instead? Wouldn't that be beneficial in the hereafter?

If someone enjoys listening to music, wouldn't it be better if he listens to Qur'anic recitations instead?

"And when the Qur'an is recited, give ear to it and pay heed, that ye may obtain mercy." 7:204

InsyaAllah hu Aminin.

Salams , mashallah br Yusuf I feel as you do, you put it so beautifully.
On the matter of Br.Yusuf Islam, after more then 25 years he has decided from his own reserch that music is OK and now uses it.
From my understanding and knowledge it is haram as it has been discussed many times before. Inshallah Allah Ta;laa will continue to guide us all.

ripefig

something to sacrifice

It may not be a bad thing to love something very much and then have to give it up for the right reason, in fact it is a great opportunity to have something which we love dearly and be able to sacrifice it for our creator. It is an opportunity to say, lord I love this very much, however, I love you more, so I am giving it up for your sake that maybe you will have mercy on me when there will be no mercy except yours.

mymohsin

Pls mak Duwa 4 me

It may not be a bad thing to love something very much and then have to give it up for the right reason, in fact it is a great opportunity to have something which we love dearly and be able to sacrifice it for our creator. It is an opportunity to say, lord I love this very much, however, I love you more, so I am giving it up for your sake that maybe you will have mercy on me when there will be no mercy except yours.

Salam Brothers/Sisters,

Masha Allah masha Allah.... explain very nicly brother masha allah.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
I thank you all for your replies. I am saddened to hear that music is forbidden, as I've always felt a connection to God when I play; it's as if it flows through me. However, I am also glad to see more than one opinion on the matter.

I am still examining Islam, and the more I think about it, the more it seems 'right' for me. This will definetly be an interesting journey.

Once again I thank you all.

*Big Welcome* :shake:

Dear Satriani, you should look at what the core beliefs of Islam are. What is Islam itself? Our belief in Allah, how we worship him?

For someone who has not had much experience with Islam or Muslim people, it can seem strange or strict with many rules. - But, it is really not like that.

We have to take things one step at a time, and to be a Muslim, not listening to music or not playing music is not a pre-requisite. But, as you did ask the question, the brothers and sisters explained that, indeed it is a sin, although not like one of the major sins.

Our source of guidance, light and inspiration is Islam. We have the beautiful and noble Quran, which if you hear the recitation, you will see how uplifting it is. Much more than any music or song you can hear. The words are the words of Allah. Not written by any man, but revealed to the Prophet Muhammad via the Angel Gabriel.

Other people, unfortunately, tend to take their guidance and inspiration from other sources, such as music or other means. If those means are haram and divert a person's attention away from being in Allah's rememberance then it is not allowed. - hence the reason music is forbidden.

As you are learning Islam and you become Muslim by saying the Shahada,( testimony of faith), you will find each day that your level of faith will increase inshaAllah.

We are here to help you, to help you sincerely! And I hope that you will be my brother in Islam very soon.

here are some nice videos of new Muslims and their stories you might want to watch:

[yto]7pfaRqkFFsY[/yto]

Amina 1

Assalam Alaikum (may Allah's peace be with you)

Satriani I hope Allah guides you to the straight path. I agree with Adam Muslim do not overwhelm yourself take it one step at a time. Read the quran ask questions and inshallah (if Allah wills it) you will become a muslim. I will pray that Allah guides you and eases your transition. I also definitely agree with Mabsoot comments .

shichemlydia

answers

salam alikoum brother,
hope you are doing well,
for the question,
1- music is haram.
2- films which do not contain bad things are ok. video games and sport games are ok also as long as they do not make you unable to practice the religion especially the prayer on time.
3- things that contain alcohol are haram, because the prophet mohamed pbuoh said in the sense of his speech .if you drink too much from something and you become a drunkee, then small amounts of that are forbiden too.( the translation is poor i know).
belive me brother these things are nothing, but when someone becomes addicted to them, he feels he cannot leave them. and this is from the evil, to stop you coming to your lord. you will find funnier things than that. and the prophet mohamed pbuoh said whoever leaves something for the sake of allah swt, then allah swt will replece him better that what he left.
looking forward to seeing your posts.
wa salam alikoum

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
how can music be haram, but films that contain no bad things be ok? All films have some background music to them. Also, what about humming to oneself? What about singing just to oneself? What are the rulings for that? There was another thread that said drawing animate things is forbidden. So would that even constitute drawing this happy face as sinful: ":)"

I am so confused, someone please clarify.