Couscous:Moroccan traditional dish

asline

:salam2:

Couscous is a traditional Berber dish.It is a dish made of fine semolina topped with meat and vegetables (zucchini, cabbage,carrot,turnip,paprika,chickpea,raisin)
Friday is the day of Jumuaa prayer, so it is a Moroccan tradition all over the country to celebrate this day with a couscous meal. Following the custom of eating food with our hands, we eat couscous by rolling it into little balls and popping it into our mouths.
I have a pic but I don't know how to show it!!!!!!
And if you are interested to know how to prepare a couscous, I can show the recipe, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Izzu

:salam2: sis,
could you please post the recipie, my wife would love to make a coucous dish.
:wasalam:

asline

Ingredients:
1 kg of couscous
300 G of turnips
300 G of carrots
300 G of zucchinis
300 G of cabbage
300 G of pumpkin
300 G of tomatos
2 red peppers
2 onions
1 small spoon with saffron
1 spoon with sweet pepper
1 bouquet of coriandre
Oil and or butter
salt ,pepper
Method :

Put the couscous in a bowl and sprinkle with a cup and a half of water to thoroughly wet the couscous. Stir with your fingers to keep clumps from forming as it absorbs the water. Place couscous in a couscoussier (a two-part steamer with a steamer pan on top). The large bottom pot traditionally holds a stew that steams the couscous as it simmers.

In the bottom part of the couscoussière, put, the meat, 2 onions with 2 cloves stuck into each, cabbage, chickpeas, oil or butter,saffron, pepper, salt, water; and cook on medium to high burner.

Put the couscous on the top part of the couscoussière and put onto the boiling bottom part.
The steam should come out of the top part only; otherwise, seal the two parts of the pot at their intersection with a strip of fabric coated with light paste (flour and water). Keep cooking for 30 minutes, from the moment the steam starts to escape from the top part.

Remove the couscous and put it into a big deep dish. To separate the grains, rub the couscous between the palms of your hands or flatten with a ladle. Water with 2 to 3 ladles of slightly salted cold water. Allow the separate grains to cool for 15mn. To the bottom part of the couscoussière, add the rest of the ingredients: onions thinly sliced, tomatoes, turnips, carrots, pumpkin, tied coriander and red pepper.
Repeat the initial operation with the couscous, but this time substituting water by oil.

Put the couscous, for the third time in the top part of the couscous pot, after 5mn of evaporation, separate the couscous grains again use "Smen" (Ghee) optional . Check if the meat and vegetables are cooked.
Check the level of the juice in the pot, and taste every now and then to adjust spicing, if necessary.

*Caramelized Onion Topping for Couscous: Optional
4 onions (sliced thinly)
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup raisins
¾ cup of brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
While you are cooking the stew, you can prepare this topping. Cook the onions in a skillet with oil until they soften and start to brown. Add raisins, brown sugar, and cinnamon and keep stirring to caramelize the onions. This makes a delightful topping.

Presentation:
Place the couscous in a big dish. Place the meat and the vegetables and some additional sauce on top. The caramelized onion topping can be added to the center. Serve the surplus of sauce in a side bowl so that everyone will be able to add some if desired.

muslimah84

I love couscous, i just made some this weekend(but from the box tho:redface:)
its really nice, i will try your recipe for something more homemade :D

Saidsaad

Here is a photo of Morocan couscous with vedge...
Photo-0104.jpg

fada_all

salam alikom

oh seems very delicoius brother abdalilah ...thanks so much for your presentation.......................