G'day

David_Wyatt

Hey there, I'm Dave. Because this is a forum centred around a belief in God (or Allah, which I believe is the Arabic word to which the English word "God" corresponds) I shall introduce myself in that mode; personally I was raised Christian (Protestant), my background is a mishmash of English, Welsh, Irish, etc. I'm from Sydney, Australia, and socially everyone I know is either Protestant, Catholic, or athiest/agnostic.

As far as my own faith goes, to be perfectly honest I have not been a very spiritual person for a few years now (I'm twenty-one, if you wish to know). The reason I am joining here is because I would like the opportunity to learn a bit about Islam, and the internet being what it is I guess this sort of place is the easiest place to start.

I should say up front that the reason I am interested is because of the fact that Islam, Christianity and Judaism all appear to be Abrahamic - they share prophets and histories, and this to me seems a very significant thing. I am not here to be "converted" (I have had much experience with various Christian denominations trying to force their beliefs, and I'm sure some of you may have had similar experiences) - I believe there is a verse in the Qur'an that says, "You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them." Thus I mean to say that I am here, if you will allow, to seek understanding.

A very simple query for now: I would very much like to visit a mosque (masjid?) locally, but I am a little worried about behaving improperly in an unfamiliar environment. Entering a place of worship is not like strolling into the local town hall, and I'm a bit awkward at the best of times. Is it alright to just turn up, lacking any understanding? Is it perhaps incorrect for someone who is not of Islamic faith to be present during Salat? I mean, I don't know if I would simply ask the Imam for direction, or... well okay, I shall simplify the question: if I wish to visit a nearby mosque, can I expect to just ask the people there for a bit of guidance, and not worry about behaving improperly?

I ask because I would very much like to become familiar with Islam, as I am only familiar with Christianity, and to a small degree with Judaism. It just feels like something I ought to do.

abu'muhammad

:bismillah1:

:salam2:, brother welcome to majmuaah (gathering) for ilm.

A person asked the Prophet (sws): ‘What is the best in Islam’. The Prophet replied: ‘To feed the poor and to greet a person you know with al-salamu ‘alaykum as well as to greet him whom you do not know. (Bukhari, Kitabu’l-Istidhan)

lillahil hamd

mezeren

Hey there, I'm Dave. Because this is a forum centred around a belief in God (or Allah, which I believe is the Arabic word to which the English word "God" corresponds) I shall introduce myself in that mode; personally I was raised Christian (Protestant), my background is a mishmash of English, Welsh, Irish, etc. I'm from Sydney, Australia, and socially everyone I know is either Protestant, Catholic, or athiest/agnostic.

As far as my own faith goes, to be perfectly honest I have not been a very spiritual person for a few years now (I'm twenty-one, if you wish to know). The reason I am joining here is because I would like the opportunity to learn a bit about Islam, and the internet being what it is I guess this sort of place is the easiest place to start.

I should say up front that the reason I am interested is because of the fact that Islam, Christianity and Judaism all appear to be Abrahamic - they share prophets and histories, and this to me seems a very significant thing. I am not here to be "converted" (I have had much experience with various Christian denominations trying to force their beliefs, and I'm sure some of you may have had similar experiences) - I believe there is a verse in the Qur'an that says, "You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them." Thus I mean to say that I am here, if you will allow, to seek understanding.

A very simple query for now: I would very much like to visit a mosque (masjid?) locally, but I am a little worried about behaving improperly in an unfamiliar environment. Entering a place of worship is not like strolling into the local town hall, and I'm a bit awkward at the best of times. Is it alright to just turn up, lacking any understanding? Is it perhaps incorrect for someone who is not of Islamic faith to be present during Salat? I mean, I don't know if I would simply ask the Imam for direction, or... well okay, I shall simplify the question: if I wish to visit a nearby mosque, can I expect to just ask the people there for a bit of guidance, and not worry about behaving improperly?

I ask because I would very much like to become familiar with Islam, as I am only familiar with Christianity, and to a small degree with Judaism. It just feels like something I ought to do.

hi David,
wellcome to the site where you can learn true islam like some other places.it is good to know you are open minded and intelligent as you want to learn new things.
you are right that Muhammed(s.a.w) brought the same massage as Adam(a.s.),Abraham(a.s.),Moses(a.s.),Jesus(a.s.), etc. which is İslam.all of the previous massages of God had been changed by people so Muhammed(s.a.w) has been chosen by God to teach true İslam again.the last massage have not been changed and will not be.we love each and every prophets of God(Allah(s.w.t.))
by the way,there is nothing wrong with non muslims going to a masjid,just go there and ask questions,i am sure they'll be happy to answer.

aj5047

if I wish to visit a nearby mosque, can I expect to just ask the people there for a bit of guidance, and not worry about behaving improperly?
It's completely okay. Just tell them you want to know more about Islam and they will understand.

Amelle

:salam2:

WELCOME David_Wyatt
WELCOME David_Wyatt
WELCOME David_Wyatt

In the mosque, they are not only places for worship and prayer, but also places to learn about Islam and meet fellow believers. Don't be shy to go and ask question in the mosque because pepole there are very nice, generous, helpful, kind and understanding:hearts:.
Go ahead :wavyarms::holaaa::SMILY346::jumpclap:Go ahead

Allah bless you:tti_sister:

Sakeena

asalam alaikum brother David,

so nice to meet you and I hope you enjoy TTI as we have much benefit masha'Allah! Ooh you will love it here! Sooo amazing! Are you inteested in Islam? W3ell good luck and may Allah (SWT) guid you, amen! Your in my prayers David.

salam,

~Sakeena

cmelbouzaidi

Welcome to TTI David. I hope you will benefit from this website, we are like one big family sharing information, discussing and seeking true knowledge. I consider myself one of the older members of TTI, at 38, but am still learning so much. There are a lot of educated Sisters and Brothers on this forum. I became Muslim when I was 21 and am learning something new every day, Masha Allah, which strengthens my faith. Just ask the Almighty for direction with an open heart and surely He will guide you, Insha Allah.

Hello David,

Welcome to our global family. Inshallah (God willing) your time here will be rewarding and beneficial.

"There is no compulsion in religion" (2:256). No one hear can convert you. It's your own free will. We can only help understand things, for guidance does not come from man, it comes from God. Truly, Allah is self-sufficient and does not need anyone!

Unlike many places of worship (i.e. church), you will find the masjid very different. Just ask anyone if you need help, they are very friendly. Trust me. Just ask the imam if you can sit in and listen. He does not mind. Just make sure you take a shower or perform ablution before you enter the masjid.

People enter the masjid and take off their shoes and sit and listen to the sermon given by the imam, then everyone perform the prayer together. You can join them or opt out if you feel uncomfortable (which is totally understandable for a 1st timer).

If you need to find a local masjid, try this:

www.islamicfinder.org

Please watch these two informative documentaries by PBS:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30339

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30415

I ask God Almight to show you the right path and not the path of those who went astray.

Best wishes,

TheHumbleWun

Al-Salam

Your Sister In Islam
Hello David,
welcome to tti. we are not here to force you but give you information in Islam, the rest is up to God and you decide. once again welcome here, and I hoop you get the aswers that you need. it's a great idea to go the mosque and ask the iman for information.

salam..

jundulah

religion of peace.way of life ask ALLAAH the one &god

I should
a verse in the Qur'an that says, "You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them." Thus I mean to say that I am here, if you will allow, to seek understanding.

david welcome brother i hope u will like it here,continue ur strugle INSHA'ALLAAH you will be there.

Zainudin Jaffar

Strive to be Mukmin
Welcome to TTi David!!!!

Enjoy your stay here and please browse through the thread for Introduction to Islam.

Open your heart and mind and ask any question you have any doubt of.

Please to meet you David and comeback here anytime.

Bye.

Ukht2

Salam David!
first of all,u have a beautiful name...prophet Dawud was a special man..anyway,i am Ukht2(sister 2 in this forum)and i just would like to tell u a my thought,,i was roman Chatholic,today i am converted to islam..3 years ago i was in your same situation,confused,seeking truth,God....and finally i went ,one day, in the mosque.....from that moment my life compleatly changed!!! Allahmdidullah...
i am not saying is going to be the same for you,but David reflects a lot about this life:the creation of this world, human beeing, sea, sky,and plus we born and we die,don`t you think there is a meaning in all this? if am not wrong u mentioned to be 21 old ,well try to don`t waste so much time for material things bec soon or later we will live this world,insteed try ti find refuge in a quality life,which does not mean choose islam but just question yourslf! personally i found all my answers in the islam...hope u will find yours...
if u would like to share any word with me u are welcome,sorry if i told u s`thing u didn`t like,i didn`t meaning..c u soon Ukht2

salahdin

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

Welcome to tti . I hope you find what you are looking for

Allah 's Apostle said

"Acquire knowledge, it enables its professor to distinguish right from wrong; it lights the way to heaven. It is our friend in the desert, our company in solitude and companion when friendless. It guides us to happiness, it sustains us in misery, it is an ornament amongst friends and an armour against enemies." (widely attributed to the Prophet Mohammed)

A Kashmiri

Asallamu Alaikum ( May Blessings of Allah be upon you )..

Welcome to TTI and inshallah ( God willing) you will enjoy it here discussing various things , and please speak without thinking whether you willnt annoy anyone. We all are here to understand Islam from each other.

You are correct Islam puts heavy weight in ensuring that information recieved by a muslim should be checked, confirmed before one passes on to other muslims.

However I feel i should point out on pressurising others to their faith , Islam clearly puts its position regarding pressuring faith on others.
In The Glorious quran it says " There is no compulsion in Religion" and forbids people being forced into Islam. Alhamdullilah.

:SMILY259::SMILY259::SMILY259:
Masallama

moon14

Welcome brother to TTI

I have selected this Surah from The Holy Qura'an for you to go through by your heart

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

[1] Has the story reached thee, of the Overwhelming (Event)?
[2] Some faces, that Day, will be humiliated,
[3] Labouring (hard), weary,
[4] The while they enter the Blazing Fire,
[5] The while they are given to drink, of a boiling hot spring,
[6] No food will there be for them but a bitter Dhari
[7] Which will neither nourish nor satisfy hunger.
[8] (Other) faces that Day will be joyful,
[9] Pleased with their Striving,
[10] In a Garden on high,
[11] Where they shall hear no (word) of vanity:
[12] Therein will be a bubbling spring:
[13] Therein will be thrones (of dignity), raised on high,
[14] Goblets placed (ready),
[15] And Cushions set in rows,
[16] And rich carpets (all) spread out.
[17] Do they not look at the Camels, how they are made?
[18] And at the Sky, how it is raised high?
[19] And at the Mountains, how they are fixed firm?
[20] And at the Earth, how it is spread out?
[21] Therefore do thou give admonition, for thou art one to admonish.
[22] Thou art not one to manage (men's) affairs.
[23] But if any turns away and rejects Allah,
[24] Allah will punish him with a mighty Punishment.
[25] For to Us will be their Return;
[26] Then it will be for Us to call them to account.

mymohsin

Pls mak Duwa 4 me
Hello David,

It was nice to c a man in search of truth, may Allah help u and show u the truth. Ameen, Friend it was nice idea to go mosque, pls have a vist with ur open mind God will u will find place and people very cooperative and informative Godwills. Beside that Friend if u think its ok with u, u can ask any of ur question recarding Islam here on this site Godwills, we will try to answer them in the light of Holy Quran and Sunnah (life of prophet Mohammed (PBUH)).

Warm welcome to TTI friend.

Peace.