U.S. soldier uses Quran for target practice

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A soldier used the Quran -- Islam's holy book -- for target practice, forcing the chief U.S. commander in Baghdad to issue a formal apology on Saturday.

Maj. Gen. Jeffrey Hammond, commander of U.S. forces in Baghdad, flanked by leaders from Radhwaniya in the western outskirts of Baghdad, apologized for the staff sergeant who was a sniper section leader assigned to the headquarters of the 64th Armored Regiment. He also read a letter of apology by the shooter.

It was the first time the incident -- which tested the relationship between U.S.-backed Sunni militiamen and the military -- was made public since it was discovered May 11.

"I come before you here seeking your forgiveness," Hammond said to tribal leaders and others at the apology ceremony. "In the most humble manner I look in your eyes today and I say please forgive me and my soldiers."

Another military official kissed a Quran and presented it as "a humble gift" to the tribal leaders.

The soldier, whose name was not released, shot at a Quran on May 9, villagers said. The Quran used in the incident was discovered two days later, according to the military.

Hammond also read from the shooter's letter: "I sincerely hope that my actions have not diminished the partnership that our two nations have developed together. ... My actions were shortsighted, very reckless and irresponsible, but in my heart [the actions] were not malicious."

A tribal leader said "the criminal act by U.S. forces" took place at a shooting range at the Radhwaniya police station. After the shooters left, an Iraqi policeman found a target marked in the middle of the bullet-riddled Quran.

Copies of the pictures of the Quran obtained by CNN show multiple bullet holes and an expletive scrawled on one of its pages.

A military investigation found the shooter guilty and relieved him of duty; he will be redeployed to the United States for reassignment away from the 1st Brigade of the 4th Infantry Division, a U.S. official said.

"The actions of one soldier were nothing more than criminal behavior," Hammond said. "I've come to this land to protect you, to support you -- not to harm you -- and the behavior of this soldier was nothing short of wrong and unacceptable."

Officials said the soldier claimed he wasn't aware the book was the Quran. U.S. officials rejected the claim.

Tribal leaders, dignitaries and local security officials attended the ceremony, while residents carried banners and chanted slogans, including "Yes, yes to the Quran" and "America out, out."

Sheikh Hamadi al-Qirtani, in a speech on behalf of all tribal sheiks of Radhwaniya, called the incident "aggression against the entire Islamic world."

The Association of Muslim Scholars in Iraq also condemned the shooter's actions and the U.S. military's belated acknowledgment of the incident.

"As the Association of Muslim Scholars condemns this heinous crime against God's holy book, the Constitution of this nation, a source of pride and dignity," the groups statement said, "they condemned the silence by all those who are part of the occupation's agenda and holds the occupation and the current government fully responsible for this violation and reminds everyone that God preserves his book and he [God] is a great avenger."

palestine

Servant of Allah
wow. this is how stupid they've become. and what is an apology gonna do- we wont' accept it. you know just don't pay attention to idiots like these otherwise your head will fall apart- so do your part as a muslim and convey the message of allah. but do not ponder on these useless people's actions and words. cause you know what we are a hundred times better than that kuffar and we can make a difference in our world- we just have to make ourselves better muslims then our ummah and then there won't be things such as this. salam.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
That's right sister Felasteen. They think that we're stupid to beleive that that he didn't know that it was the Quran, Al Ketab Allah, that he was shooting at? How stupid do they think we are! Snipers don't go around shooting things like nonsense, they use RIFLES, AK47s, NOT MACHINE GUNS or SUB GUNS.

And he hit it multiple times too. That just PROVES that he did it on purpose. Gosh, the Mushriks just can never live up to waht they do, can they? They always condem stuff that they know is true.

And may Allah Ta Alla increase his punishments in Jahanam, and that soldier shall have to answer ot Allah Subhanna Wa Ta Alla.

Assalamu Alykum. Jazakallah Kyr brother for the news. It helps us know more about the Crusade that the Americans are palying at in Araq and Afganestan.

And for more info, see "CIA at War," a book by an American, or search it up on YouTube, and Imam Anwar Al Awlaki also talks about it too.

AAminAA

Amatullah
Be patient brothers and sisters and work on imaan insha'Allah ! Who is more patient than Allah s.w.t.. ? They say that He nauzubillah, have son and He is patient. They can do what they want to do, but not as long as they want to. Allah's word is the last and final. Everything belong to Him and We shall all return to Him ! And this world is just short period of time. Lucky they who obayed Allah and his order. Lucky they who believed in Him, and who believe in day of resuraction and day Judgement !

The same thing happened in my country. Maybe you all know and heard for what happened in Bosnia ? They were shouting Qur'an and doing to it many bad things... Slaughtering the people in worst kind ( town of Srebrenica had more than 8.000 shaheeds insha'Allah, just in on day ! And all were males from 15-60 years old ! Just males sobhan'Allah :( and in that period of time ( war) '92-95 were killed more than 250.000 civilians mostly of them slaughtered ) .... The same as the Jews do to Palestines people.

Sorry that i posted this here but i god so sad and frustrated :(

May Allah s.w.t., help us ! May He make us better muslims and winners. Ameen !

Salem9022

[yt]2-jLUlG_lRc[/yt]

Interesting the Shi3a government didn;t say anything about this, they are complicit to everything the american military does against Islam even destroy masjids and qur'an this is the face of shi3aism, they are complicit with those who want to destroy Islam because the difference between the religion of Shia3aism and christianity is very little, they also don't believe in the Qur'an.

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

Salem9022, Could you please provide the link to that film? I wish to show it on another board and ask the Christians some....pointed questions. :SMILY335:

Wasalaam

~Sarah

RabiALLAH

La Ilaha Illa ALLAH
Salam Aleikum
I would like to tell that Yankees do more than that, but their slaves the Malikh=the Shi3a government can not say anything, orther wise Rice will be very anger!!!!
They though can not destroy Islam, they are destroying themselves with the hands of each other and with the Hand of Believers inshAllah.

:shahadah:

RabiALLAH

La Ilaha Illa ALLAH
Be patient brothers and sisters and work on imaan insha'Allah ! Who is more patient than Allah s.w.t.. ? They say that He nauzubillah, have son and He is patient. They can do what they want to do, but not as long as they want to. Allah's word is the last and final. Everything belong to Him and We shall all return to Him ! And this world is just short period of time. Lucky they who obayed Allah and his order. Lucky they who believed in Him, and who believe in day of resuraction and day Judgement !

The same thing happened in my country. Maybe you all know and heard for what happened in Bosnia ? They were shouting Qur'an and doing to it many bad things... Slaughtering the people in worst kind ( town of Srebrenica had more than 8.000 shaheeds insha'Allah, just in on day ! And all were males from 15-60 years old ! Just males sobhan'Allah :( and in that period of time ( war) '92-95 were killed more than 250.000 civilians mostly of them slaughtered ) .... The same as the Jews do to Palestines people.

Sorry that i posted this here but i god so sad and frustrated :(

May Allah s.w.t., help us ! May He make us better muslims and winners. Ameen !

-------------------------------------------
Dear Sister AAmenAA
first of All I say Ameen for your Dua'a
and second i have seen and read alot about the genocides committeed by Serbs angnist muslims in Bosnia and Kosovo, they are Shuhada'a in Janah inshallah.
the Mulims in Iraq, Palestine, Bosnia,Kosovo, Avganistan,kashmeer and all over the world are all suffering because they are Muslims, Bush and his adm. are telling the world it is a war aganist terriosim and they are fighting for the freedom of every man and women. This Big Lair, this devil is fooling himself only, we all know it is a new version of the Crusadors wars, aganist Islam.

so be patinet, we are inshallah the winners, right,,,,, we will win paradise, remeber the Hadeeth in which PBUH said that Al Dunya is paradise for Al Kafer and Hell for the Believer, and Islam will win if we muslim were committed and strong, and a true believers inshallah

nizar83

mashallah..
WAR ON TERRORISM? is there anyone on this temporary earth that still thinks thats what it is?

WAR AGAINST ISLAM! thats what it is..

but they refuse to accept...ISLAM IS INDESCTRUCTABLE!!! THIS IS A FACT, A 1400 YEAR OLD FACT!

salahdin

SUBHANALLAH I WAS JUST LAST NIGHT WHEN I WAS WATCHING A DOCUMENTARY ON AMERICANS SOLDIERS IN IRAQ .AND SUBHANALLAH I WAS ANGRY ON HOW IRAQI MUSLIMS ARE TREATED BY THESE KUFARS AND NOW THIS . WHEN WILL MUSLIMS RISE UP AND OPEN THEIR EYES .

palestine

Servant of Allah
someone already posted this but thanks. what we need to do is to ignore these people and spread the peace, that is islam. peace

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

i believe that we should react peacefully, because the enemies of islam would love for us to react in a violent manner, using it as a confirmation to their twisted beliefs.
:wasalam:

A Kashmiri

This shows how frustated the American soldiers are in Iraq , and this shows they cant fight with the invisible army there.

We muslims should understand that Americans havent only come to conquer Iraq but they have come to conquer faith and culture of Iraq, which they have misreably failed - Alhamdullilah.

Doest anyone in the world believe ( except the foolish - Weste excluding muslim population ) that they are not acting as crusaders ? Infact they may try not to show this but they are

This action also means that the baby nappies which are used by American soldiers in Iraq are not working !!!!!

May Allah bring death and destruction to the American army wherever they are- inshallah.

Masallama

Almeftah

Don't hate people, hate thier wrongdoings and disbelief!!

May Allah bring death and destruction to the American army wherever they are- inshallah.
Masallama

May Allah guide all non-muslims and help them see the truth about islam, and show them the right path to Jannah, and us as well.. Insha Allah.

Salaam,

May Allah swt punish & harden the hearts of these crusaders. This reinforces our position that this is not a war on terror but a war on Islam.

P.S. We haven't forgotten about the masjid blowings in Iraq either.

nizar83

mashallah...whenever i try to understand the muslim countries''s politics...i get confused..

thinking about it...and trying to see the logic in it..makes me dizzy..wolahi like eating 200 donuts in 10 minutes..i get confused and dizzy..

what and how...ARE MY 2 MAIN QUESTIONS for all the muslim countries not helping their brothers and sisters..for all the muslim countries striving to keep a healthy relationship with a kuffar country that is killing our brothers and sisters softly..mashallah