Is Gelatin allowed?

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum

:salam2:

When I check out ingredient listings,I always find Whey Powder or lecthin.:girl3:

Can someone confirm it if its halal or haram or mushbooh please?:confused:

Jazzak-Allah khair:muslim_child:

:wasalam:

Noorun Nisaa'

When I check out ingredient listings,I always find Whey Powder or lecthin.:girl3:

Can someone confirm it if its halal or haram or mushbooh please?:confused:

Jazzak-Allah khair:muslim_child:

Salam Aleikum,

I know whey powder is milk powder, AND i ask somebody from a mosque in TO who accually bought something with whey powder from the store i worked and he told me it is OK.
As for the lecthine i know is HARAM.

Allahu Alam, ALLAH KNOWS BEST:hearts:

marildu

Assalamu Alaikum,

Sister it's best to contact the company. There's different ways for processing milk (as in the rennet discussion).

Edit: I'm not sure if milk powder and whey powder are the same. They might be. lol but whey and milk are two different things. And soy or soya lecithin is okay from what I have been told.

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum

Jazzak-Allah khair for sharing sis,so Whey powder is definitly halal then?You said Lecthin is haram that doesn`t mean Soya-Lecthin is haram then,does it?:confused:

Noorun Nisaa'

Jazzak-Allah khair for sharing sis,so Whey powder is definitly halal then?You said Lecthin is haram that doesn`t mean Soya-Lecthin is haram then,does it?:confused:

Salam Aleikum,

well if you know for sure its from a vegetable source, than its halal, you have to be sure.

ALLAHU ALAM, Allah knows best, :hearts:

Wiseguy74

Assalam O Alaikum,

If you are in doubt ask the person who knows/ ask the person who is well acquainted with. (Holy Quran)

Sister, check out the site www.muslimconsumergroup.com.

Brothers and sisters working on this site are doing their best to assist us in eating Halal food. May Allah(swt) bless them all.

Wassalam

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum

Assalam O Alaikum,

If you are in doubt ask the person who knows/ ask the person who is well acquainted with. (Holy Quran)

Sister, check out the site www.muslimconsumergroup.com.

Brothers and sisters working on this site are doing their best to assist us in eating Halal food. May Allah(swt) bless them all.

Wassalam

Jazzak-Allah khair brother...:arabi1:

ummamin

Assalamu aleykum all,
I was just reading the postings on this topic and couln't help making a suggestion when I read that enumbers are halal, they may not be haram but what about our health? I have been reading that they are associated with cancer and heart diseases and what not. It's better to eat as natural and additive free things as possible.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Salam Aleikum sister SAMIHA,

OFF TOPIC
just curiosity, did you try mashmallow halal? its come in different flavors, and maybe a little expensive comparing to the regular one.

ON TOPIC
I heard, but not sure about gelatine in medication, that is ok to have it. I will search more, you make me curious.

:hearts: :hijabi:

lol. yea i do always get the halal marshmallows, its about a 30 min drive away from home, but when ever we go to that store i take at least 2 bags of marshmallows. lol, my lil bro eats more then I do though... even while we are in the store... :redface:

:hijabi:

jugnu

gelatin itself is not haram

aslaamualkium brother and sister I pesonally think gelatin itsself is not haram but the contents which is using to make gelatin or:ma: the source which it came from made it haram if the source is haram than it is HARAM simple is that

Jibran

Assalamu Alaikum,

Sister, like 95% of gelatin is haram. Occasionally in pills it can be made from fish etc. It doesn't matter if it is "cooked out" or not. Vanilla extract is technically cooked out but made with a huge alcohol content. It doesn't matter whether it was cooked out or not it was still there. And as with alcohol there is always a trace amount there.

As for vitamins I go to an all natural food store and you can buy vegan/kosher/all vegetable vitamins. Costs a little more, but it's halal. As for medication I'm not sure.

And yes it is annoying to check everything. I'm pretty obsessive about it though. One reason why I can't wait to move to a Muslim country.

Salam.

Bro your wrong. So what if alcohol is in the "vannila extract?" think about it.
It's just extract and nothing more, she's not drinking alcohol and it's not for intoxication, but for COOKING. Sister vanilla extract, perfume, and medecine which contains alcohol is NOT haram.

Salam.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum

Can you get drunk on Vanilla Extract??

Any brothers or sisters want to test the theory out??

haha, Joking. I wont be your friend if you do that.

AbuAnisah

Assalaualikum,

hope this article helps

Source: A lesson given by Shaykh Muhammad Bazmool, and a fatwa given by Shaykh Al-Albaanee

Istihala is when something becomes pure. It was najis (impure) but it is now taahir (pure). A good example would be maitah (animal carcass): it is najis, but should it be burned and become ashes, or decompose and become earth, then it is taahir, it is no longer najis. This can happen with dung or faeces or whatever. Whenever something changes from one property to another, then the ruling likewise changes.

Example: Let us say that someone uses the fat of a dead animal to make soap. That fat is najis, but the chemical change that it was put through makes it taahir.

Ibn Hazm put it concisely when he said, "Ruling upon an object is upon what it is named (what it is), if the name (what it is) changes then so does the ruling."

He also mentioned in his book of fiqh, Al-Muhalla: "If the quality of the substance of naturally impure objects changes the name which was given to it so that it is no more applicable to it and it is given a new name which is given to a pure object, so it is no more an impure thing. It becomes a new object, with a new rule."

Meaning that if the natural composition of a substance changes to another substance of a different composition, so much so that you can no longer call the new substance by the name of what it was -- ruling upon that substance changes too.

Proof/Example 1:

The companions (Radiya ‘Llahu 'anhum) used to eat a cheese that came from the and of the disbelievers. In that cheese was a part of the calf which was slaughtered by the disbelievers in a way that is not in accordance with Islaam. The companions knew this, but they also knew that the prohibition was upon the calf, what is directly from the calf, and what could be properly called part of the calf; the ruling is not upon that which you cannot identify as part of the calf nor is it called any longer such-and-such part of the calf. This is called istihala.

Proof/Example 2:

Another proof from the Sunnah: The Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) forbade making vinegar out of wine, but he said that if you should come across vinegar that has been made from wine then it is halaal.

Why?

The ruling is upon what the object is, and not what it was. Wine is haraam; vinegar is not, and before the wine became an intoxicant, it was halaal. Why? Because it was fruit before that.

Proof/Example 3:

Allaah says in the Qur'an: "And surely there is a lesson for you in the cattle we give you to drink of what is in their bellies from between the faeces and blood, pure milk, wholesome to those who drink it." (16:66)

Allaah is putting forth an example for us of how something pure can come from something impure.

And we can also use as proof something that we've already gone over. The Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said that when the hide of maitah (the carrion) is tanned, then it is taahir. He (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) gave us a method to purify something which was first impure.

Let us examine things we are familiar with: mono and diglycerides, whey, gluten, emulsifiers, gelatin, and whatever else is on the international haraam list. These by-products sometimes come from animals, pigs even, in which case the ruling on the initial substances is that they are haraam. But the initial substances (e.g. fat, marrow, cartilage, etc.) are put through chemical change so that you no longer can even call it "pig fat" or "animal bone" or "skin" or "cartilage", etc. because it is no longer that, hence it is taahir, it is halaal.

What is gelatin? The Oxford dictionary of science defines it as: "A colourless or pale yellow, water-soluble protein obtained by boiling collagen with water and evaporating the solution. It melts when water is added and dissolves in hot water to form a solution that sets to a gel on cooling." (page 290)

Is this a chemical change or is this not a chemical change? Is it protein any longer? No, it is not.

You are in disbelief so you ask, "But how can it be halaal when it came from something haraam?"

Because of the proofs mentioned above, the ruling is not based upon what it was, the ruling is based upon what it is. A Hanafi scholar, Ibn Abedin gave the example: "the swine which drowns in a salt lake and decomposes and becomes salt itself, is now halaal."

And other Hanafi scholars go on to say: "salt is different from meat and bones. If they become salt, they are salt."

To take the salt example further: salt consists of sodium chloride (NaCl) when together they are the halaal food known as salt, when separated they make up two poisonous substances which are then haraam for consumption.

The ahnaaf (Hanafis) also use as an example the human semen, saying that it is najis, then when it inseminates the egg and becomes a blood clot it is still najis, but when it becomes flesh it is no longer najis. And the ahnaaf are not the only ones who take this position.

The examples are numerous and they extend beyond food: Yesterday a man was kaafir and going towards Hell, today he is Muslim, so what is the ruling upon him? It is based upon what he is today.

We must be careful when we call things haraam because it is a form of dhulm (oppression). Scholars have said that it is worse that you make something halaal to haraam rather than making something haraam to halaal.

This deen Allaah has made yusr (easy) let us not make it 'usr (hard).

And Allaah (Subhanahu wa ta'ala) Knows Best.

marildu

Salam.

Bro your wrong. So what if alcohol is in the "vannila extract?" think about it.
It's just extract and nothing more, she's not drinking alcohol and it's not for intoxication, but for COOKING. Sister vanilla extract, perfume, and medecine which contains alcohol is NOT haram.

Salam.

Assalamu Alaikum,

First of all I'm not a bro.

And if you check the alcohol content in vanilla it is usually about 35%. In Lemon (the bottle in my mother's cabinet, non-Muslim) 84%, Banana 40%. The top ingredients are Water, alcohol, then the flavoring.

When you make homemade vanilla extract you use vodka or brandy.

http://www.ochef.com/165.htm - Does Alcohol Really Boil Away in Cooking?

So yes, I believe if you drunk enough of it you could get drunk as disgusting as it might be. So no, I do not use it. You can ask any chef, the alcohol never fully evaporates out. There's things like vanilla sugar which work just as well.
Obviously medicines are a different category. But like with other haram ingredients in medicine it's better to seek an alternative first.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalam.

We got something new this time. I hadn’t seen it in stores before. It’s called Marshmallow Crème. It’s got no solid shape and is found in a jar, new thing for me. Maybe they need the gelatin to keep the shape cuz this Crème stuff didn’t have any. Anyway, so we a got a jar of that stuff, it tastes like marshmallows kind of, but I have no idea what you really do with it, so it has become my new jelly, I put it on bread and eat it with peanut butter. Lol, trust me I luv experimenting with food, especially opposites.

Yummm yummm…

Assalamu Alaykum

Can you get drunk on Vanilla Extract??

Any brothers or sisters want to test the theory out??

haha, Joking. I wont be your friend if you do that.

lol...Maybe it’s a good thing I have no idea what vanilla extract is…. Or could be a bad thing depending on how you look at it. I always thought it was like food coloring but it didn’t have color it just tasted like vanilla. However, I had no idea what vanilla tasted like cuz the only time I really see the word vanilla is on like vanilla ice cream, and that to me has no flavor. So vanilla to me was kinda like white, the absence of flavor… I don’t know… anyway, that’s just me ranting.

I think I’ll just stick to my marshmallow crème and wait for those trips to the store.

marildu

Assalamu Alaikum,

Yeah Sister Samiha that stuff is made from egg whites. We pretty much just use it like you said with peanut butter and make fluffer nutter sandwiches.
My mother also makes chocolate fudge with it around Christmas time. That's the only ways I've ever eaten it.